Menu

My local Walmart is adding back the fabric section

Cinder

I was surprised to see the craft section rearranged and bolts of fabric on the shelves. It looks like they're just in the beginning stages of the re-installation of the fabric dept. It's about half the size of what it was before though. There are 3 WM's near me. One has kept it's fabric dept, "my" WM got rid of theirs, and the Really Big WM in the next town that had a fabric dept to rival Hobby Lobby's cut not only the fabric dept but they reduced the entire store by at least a third. I wonder if that store will also get a fabric dept.

Has anyone else noticed this in their local WM?

Our Walmart never lost theirs, but I noticed it had gotten bigger. However, we have, literally, one of the busiest Walmarts in the world, so I can't imagine them ever taking anything away! It all sells. A sales associate was setting up a huge "Under $3" display today and you couldn't even see what was on it as you walked by, because it was so mobbed!

Our Super Walmart never got rid of their fabric. Our other Walmart got rid of fabric, I will have to look to see if it's back.

I'm still waiting to get Hobby Lobby here. <_<

I was surprised to see the craft section rearranged and bolts of fabric on the shelves. It looks like they're just in the beginning stages of the re-installation of the fabric dept. It's about half the size of what it was before though. There are 3 WM's near me. One has kept it's fabric dept, "my" WM got rid of theirs, and the Really Big WM in the next town that had a fabric dept to rival Hobby Lobby's cut not only the fabric dept but they reduced the entire store by at least a third. I wonder if that store will also get a fabric dept.

Has anyone else noticed this in their local WM?

What did they do with the building space? That is so weird.

The Walmart that we go to did have any changes to their fabric section. Each of the Walmart have about two rows for their fabric section. One Walmart did redo their floor plan and the departments were shuffled around. I was confused when I walked into that one as most things changed location. The super Walmart is not nearby so I won't know if there is any changes. They were all well stocked. We do have plenty of Michaels, Jo-Ann and a few Hancock.

One of the Walmarts in our area never shed its fabric department although I must say that most of their fabric is of such poor quality that I never buy any there. It is useful for those of us who assist with 4-H sewing to have a nearby place to buy patterns, thread and zippers. Now, if only there was some decent fabric...

We have 3 Super Walmart stores. The oldest, smallest and closest to my house has kept, but shrunk their craft / fabric section. The newest never had one and the other one got rid of their section a few years ago. Now, I'm curious to check both other stores.

We do have 2 Hancock and 2 JoAnn's stores locally.

Ours put theirs back in. They must have been losing quite a bit of money by not offering it. We also have Michaels, Jo-Annes, Hancock AND Hobby Lobby all within spitting distance of the Wal-Mart, as well as several boutique quilting stores further away. We were hardly hurting for a fabric selection. But I have noticed that when the Amish communities come to town, they literally buy everything at WM- including stacks and stacks of fabric. I wonder if that came into play at all with the decision to add it back in.

What did they do with the building space? That is so weird.

It's vacant--available for lease. They completely rearranged the store and put up a new interior wall.

We have a cluster of Hobby Lobby, Michael's and JoAnn--they're in the shopping area near the mall and within 200 yds of each other. But they're also not near any of the WM's.

I thought it was an interesting move to bring fabric back. I wonder if the one WM has done well enough with fabric sales that TPTB decided to try again. I don't buy fabric much but I've just gotten used to driving the farther distance to HL or Joann for my craft supplies.