Menu

PSA of the day--seamstress vs. sewer

Moxie

"Sewist" is pretty good, but really in the end I prefer "seamstress." "Sewer" is just unfortunate.

Seamstress does seem to carry a connotation of dressmaking in particular, and lots of sewists don't do that. Sewist, I suppose, includes soft toys and quilts and banners and hairbands and shorts and thrifted pillowcases, so it's a more general term. I used to be a quilter, but now I'm more general...

Seamstress for ladies and tailor for gentlemen. Comically my school clothes were all tailored by seamstress because I am a weird size :)

I grew up with the word sempstress.

Why not use the established word tailor when referring to a man?

Exactly! We already have the words. Why not use them properly thus keeping the sewer where it belongs.

A seamstress needs an advanced set of skills also. It isn't everyone who can make clothes. I wouldn't consider one who quilts as a seamstress. That would be simply a quilter - male or female. Nor would I consider one who makes sewn crafts a seamstress/tailor. They would simply be crafters.

What an interesting topic. I would qualify for the word/term seamstress as I have sewn professionally off and on. However since I know my weaknesses in my abilities, I struggle with using the term as I feel it implies a level of sewing that I don't necessarily have. I can alter clothes and did it professionally for years, but I just did what the pins in the garmet told me to do. I didn't personally fit the dresses. (I worked for several Bridal stores) I have designed and sewn color guard uniforms for my Dd's marching band. I have sewn custom leotards for a Special olympics team and I have worked for several dance studios.

And yet I choke on the word when I use it.

Can we say self esteem issues? :glare:

Actually, sewer is the correct term for someone who sews. (Check a dictionary of you don't believe me.) It is pronounced "soh- er". Unfortunately, it carries the same spelling as "soo- er".

Interesting. Sewer used in this context just doesn't sound right to me. Good to know that it's a legitimate term though. Learn something new on these boards every day. :)

A seamstress needs an advanced set of skills also. It isn't everyone who can make clothes. I wouldn't consider one who quilts as a seamstress. That would be simply a quilter - male or female. Nor would I consider one who makes sewn crafts a seamstress/tailor. They would simply be crafters.

Yes, that's what I was saying. I qualify pretty well as a seamstress, though, and I like the word better.

For a general term I really do prefer sewist to sewer.

I just can't get into making up a new word because I don't care for the existing one! If no word exists to express a concept, that is a different situation.

In one online dictionary, "sewer", in the fabric environment under discussion here, is the third-listed definition. The second-listed one refers to "A medieval servant who supervised the serving of meals."

If you enjoy working with thread and fabric, you are a seamstress. A sewer is something all together different and you would not want to be one!!

As a landlord, who has actually dealt with sewer-related issues, I thank you.

I think this every time I see it. I grew up with seamstresses, and I wonder that people don't know this because it's almost a lost art.

Actually, sewer is the correct term for someone who sews. (Check a dictionary of you don't believe me.) It is pronounced "soh- er". Unfortunately, it carries the same spelling as "soo- er".

So? its not the first time you have to figure out a word from context.

When people are looking for sewers on my purse group, I never once thought they were talking about a system to dispose of sewage.

So? its not the first time you have to figure out a word from context.

When people are looking for sewers on my purse group, I never once thought they were talking about a system to dispose of sewage.

You're funny. To me too, it's like a word like lead vs lead or read vs read or bow vs bow.

I grew up with the word sempstress.

Why not use the established word tailor when referring to a man?

Same reason I think "mailperson" has been suggested rather than postal carrier, which I think would make more sense. Or, you know, not freaking out over the name of a profession not being gender neutral or having a feminized option created from whole cloth ;)

Unintentionally hilarious homonyms, homophones, and homographs are one of my favorite things about studying language. If someone told me he was a "soh-er" I'd think he worked on a farm rather than on clothing.

How do you pronounce it? I grew up with seamstress pronounced as 'SEM-struhss', but I hear 'SEEM-struhss' often these days.

Laura

Laura, your pronunciation goes with "sempstress". (silent p) (I just checked this before typing.) Secondary pronunciation has the p voiced.

The second one goes with "seamstress".

Either word is for normal usage.

Laura, your pronunciation goes with "sempstress". (silent p) (I just checked this before typing.) Secondary pronunciation has the p voiced.

The second one goes with "seamstress".

Either word is for normal usage.

This must be one of these country-by-country differences. I checked my Chambers (British) dictionary and it gives both SEAM and SEM for 'seamstress'. Interestingly, it also states that 'seamster' was originally a feminine form, from the Old English 'seamestere'.

Laura

Sewer works fine in spoken conversation. Online is where it elicits giggles. Online I tend to use sewist if that's supported by the community in which I'm participating. I read a couple of fora that are specific to sewing, and one of them seems to prefer sewist.

Here's some interesting trivia -- the Wikipedia article on tailor says that the word seamstress is an old euphemism for a prostitute. They also give some other titles for those who sew -- sewing professional, custom clothier, custom dressmaker, alterationist.

Sewer works fine in spoken conversation. Online is where it elicits giggles. Online I tend to use sewist if that's supported by the community in which I'm participating. I read a couple of fora that are specific to sewing, and one of them seems to prefer sewist.

The purse group I referred to is entirely online -- forums and a Facebook group.

For some reason, references to sewers has never elicited a giggle, or even a thread about the term being funny. I never considered alternative meanings of the word until someone here on WTM decided to say you shouldn't use the term.

Oh and I work for a Plumbing/HVAC contractor so in my day to day world we work with sewers (the other kind) as well.

Here's some interesting trivia -- the Wikipedia article on tailor says that the word seamstress is an old euphemism for a prostitute.

Wow!

I looked in the OED and it notes that "seamstress" is for a "needle woman" whose occupation is "plain sewing" as distinguished from dress making or embroidery. So seamstress is not a catch-all. And not really for a hobbyist??

There's a blurb on sewer vs. sewist in the newest issue of Threads (just arrived today -- we didn't get mail yesterday due to snow and ice). I thought that was funny since we were just discussing it. They comment that "sewist" combines "sew" with "artist" and is gaining popularity on blogs and other Web communities.