Menu

Happy Darwin Day!

Guest inoubliable

These are great links - we are doing Darwin Day fun here instead of regularly scheduled school.

Hmmm... pondering Darwin treats to make... Darwin cupcakes, anyone?

Would Darwin cupcakes be just flour, sugar,oil, and egg? In their original form that hasn't evolved into cupcakes yet.

(Okay, that was lame.)

I don't know that I've got the energy to throw down with a cake like that today. Not to mention I prefer buttercream to primoridal ooze. Maybe I'll throw a caveman playmobil on the King Cake and call it good.

Guest inoubliable

My boys are having a great time with devolving.

Did you ever see the Star Trek the Next Generation episode when everyone devolved? Loved that show.

Oooh. I don't remember that episode! I'll have to find it.

Guest inoubliable

My boys are having a great time with devolving.

Did you ever see the Star Trek the Next Generation episode when everyone devolved? Loved that show.

Guest inoubliable

I personally prefer cookies over cupcakes-more portable and flexible. Plus you can make them in a cauldron. :drool5:

Cauldron cookies....mmmmm.

Hmm. I thought that was ostera, and where we get Easter eggs and Easter bunny. Is there more than one fertility ritual/holiday?

Of course there is.

But Mardi Gras is the celebration of gluttony before the fasting and solemnity of lent. As a floating holiday to kick off the Lenten season, I don't think it has other origins.

KK, would that simply be the extension of ostera then?

Happy Darwin Day!!!

Makes me giggle that so many people still don't know what Mardi Gras really is. That's ok. That's how the Goddess operates. ;)

We've got GS and archery today but we are reading some Darwin kids books aloud today and we'll be watching a David Attenborough DVD at bedtime related to evolution. Science is alive and well. :D

Thanks Charles!!

Guest inoubliable

Of course there is.

But Mardi Gras is the celebration of gluttony before the fasting and solemnity of lent. As a floating holiday to kick off the Lenten season, I don't think it has other origins.

Don't think so. Mardi Gras's roots are with Roman festivals. Eostre has roots in German paganism. I think Eostre was just another local festival that Christians absorbed as they were converting. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C4%92ostre

That's what our teachers told us, anyway. Wikipedia sorta kinda supports that.

Of course there is.

I'm sure there are too. I did look at the most significant pagan holidays and it seems that Imbolc was co-opted to st. Brigid's day then then next to come is ostera. That was why I was wondering about lesser known holidays.

Don't think so. Mardi Gras's roots are with Roman festivals. Eostre has roots in German paganism. I think Eostre was just another local festival that Christians absorbed as they were converting. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C4%92ostre

Ohhh, roman. I was totally thinking of Northern European festivals. Which makes sense because mardi gras and carnival are celebrated by Latin countries.

Yes, much like Christmas coming from Saturnalia.

Guest inoubliable

I think pretty much every Christian holy day can find its roots in a pagan holiday from somewhere. Even Valentine's Day. Romans were celebrating Juno Februata on 14 Feb and Lupercalia on 15 February. Goddess of marriage and god of fertility, respectively. Easiest way to convert the masses at the time. Explain that nothing really changes in regards to "how it's done". Business as usual.

I think you are right. And considering Christianity is such a late comer to the party there wasn't much else that could be done. The traditions were already in place it just made things easy to but a stamp of Christianity on them.

But it is fun to celebrate no matter the origins.

I think you are right. And considering Christianity is such a late comer to the party there wasn't much else that could be done. The traditions were already in place it just made things easy to but a stamp of Christianity on them.

But it is fun to celebrate no matter the origins.

:iagree:

I started reading On the Origin of the Species on my Kindle last year, but gave it up in favor of fiction (I prefer reading fiction to non-fiction). I think I'll put it back on my to-be-read list this year.

I tried twice to read it. I seem to freeze at reading anything non-fiction. I blame my public school education for ruining it for me!

I have to laugh at the seemingly non-christian nature of the current mardi gras celebrations. Out of control drinking and parties anyone??? :laugh:

Word.