Menu

Montessori Philosophy - Truths vs Myths

First let me start by saying that I have been a silent observer on these forums as I had so much to take in and learn from some very passionate, hardworking and compassionate people. Not only do you have big insights but have big hearts as well to encourage others and to share what you have learned.

I wanted to check if anyone of you have looked into the montessori philosophy for preschool years? I get the whole bit about it teaching children to be independent, responsible, sensitive but not sure how it shapes your approach to thinking as well as drills some core academic concepts.

Thanks again for all that you teach me.

My kids all attended a Montessori preschool, and my oldest stayed at the school until we began homeschooling when he was 11. Coming from a public school education myself, the Montessori method of child-directed learning has really helped me to provide each of my children with an education that meets their individual needs without feeling like I need to do "school at home."

I did read about the Montessori model when my son was a preschooler.

For preschool, I think that the Montessori model is pretty much, well, irrelevant to the way we raised our son. Generally speaking, we believe that a preschoolers job is to live life with his family. By doing that, he will learn what he needs to know - God loves him; his parents love him; there is right & wrong; beginning problem solving skills; age appropriate social skills; self-care; basic chores; interdependence with family; the concept of autonomy (he is not the same person we are) and a host of other things that form a child's world. I don't think that my child needs an artificial environment with specially made manipulatives that simulate real life, we just live life.

I disagree with the idea that children should always lead their learning. That doesn't mean that we did drill & kill at all, but it does mean that I intentionally taught phonics and math. By doing so, I helped my son widen his world by giving him some great tools to learn about and explore the world around him. We started the process of phonics when he was four and then added some math in the following year, but we did it because he was ready to, not because TWTM or any other book said to do so. Preschoolers and young children simply don't have the capacity to know what to choose to equip themselves for living life in the family and in the world. Simply because someone is provided with a prescribed set of activities to choose from doesn't mean they have the tools to pick the best activity for them at the time. It simply means that they might begin to think that they should always have a choice that is appealing to them, which is not possible.

Another way we determined that Montessori wasn't right for us is by observing the families that we knew who sent their children to a Montessori preschool or elementary school. Over several years, I observed quite a bit of disrespect and selfishness as well as more than a few temper tantrums thrown by the children in the families past the time that kids typically outgrow them. Was I sure that Montessori was responsible for the way these children behaved? No, I'm not, but I am pretty sure that Montessori didn't help them.

FWIW, I consider TWTM to be a great reference book, but I identify more with Charlotte Mason because of the fact that her writing & teaching encompasses much more than the academic - it considers the whole child.

I do always have this in the back of my mind when I read her work - she never had children of her own (neither did Maria Montessori). All of the teaching experience imaginable can't make up for the love we feel for our children, nor can it teach someone what it is to be responsible for this magnificent little being we have been entrusted with. I do think perhaps CM came closer to understanding because she lived with the children she taught, while MM's conclusions were from that of a researcher.

Montessori did not work at all for my son. I really liked the philosophy behind it but he really needed structure and his experience with a Montessori preschool was a complete disaster.

This was our experience too. DDwent to Montessori for two years and was miserable. Now that she's in a traditional structured kindergarten program she's thriving.

(This is also why I afterschool and don't homeschool.)

I have to disagree with the negative assessments of Montessori methods. She was a physician who observed kids for years. She used these methods with the very poor and got excellent results. This is very similar to CM in that it is meant for all children, not just the wealthy or the very smart.

I use Montessori methods for all of my preschool kids (and still use some of it with my 1st grader along with a mostly CM style of education). I love that kids can discover things for themselves. Montessori promotes self-reliability in children and independence. It also is based on a respect for children as individual people.

I think a lot of people have problems with Montessori because they don't really know how to present lessons. There are lots of results on youtube. Look

and
for examples. I have to say that my kids love Montessori. Once you introduce an item, the child can play with it on their own. This really keeps my littles occupied during school. Montessori teaches that the child will continue to play with something until they master it. Sometimes one of my kids will play with a single toy for almost an hour. You can also make a lot of cheap at-home Montessori activities (such as getting two bowls and putting beans in one bowl and allowing the child to move the beans using a measuring spoon).
youtube poster has a lot of great ideas.

Well, I am not saying that Montessori methods work for every child, but it you go to a truly Montessori classroom, you will see children working quietly throughout the room. They are all enjoying what they are learning and having fun. I know this will not work for every child, but my kids love it!

I did read about the Montessori model when my son was a preschooler.

For preschool, I think that the Montessori model is pretty much, well, irrelevant to the way we raised our son. Generally speaking, we believe that a preschoolers job is to live life with his family. By doing that, he will learn what he needs to know - God loves him; his parents love him; there is right & wrong; beginning problem solving skills; age appropriate social skills; self-care; basic chores; interdependence with family; the concept of autonomy (he is not the same person we are) and a host of other things that form a child's world. I don't think that my child needs an artificial environment with specially made manipulatives that simulate real life, we just live life.

I disagree with the idea that children should always lead their learning. That doesn't mean that we did drill & kill at all, but it does mean that I intentionally taught phonics and math. By doing so, I helped my son widen his world by giving him some great tools to learn about and explore the world around him. We started the process of phonics when he was four and then added some math in the following year, but we did it because he was ready to, not because TWTM or any other book said to do so. Preschoolers and young children simply don't have the capacity to know what to choose to equip themselves for living life in the family and in the world. Simply because someone is provided with a prescribed set of activities to choose from doesn't mean they have the tools to pick the best activity for them at the time. It simply means that they might begin to think that they should always have a choice that is appealing to them, which is not possible.

Another way we determined that Montessori wasn't right for us is by observing the families that we knew who sent their children to a Montessori preschool or elementary school. Over several years, I observed quite a bit of disrespect and selfishness as well as more than a few temper tantrums thrown by the children in the families past the time that kids typically outgrow them. Was I sure that Montessori was responsible for the way these children behaved? No, I'm not, but I am pretty sure that Montessori didn't help them.

FWIW, I consider TWTM to be a great reference book, but I identify more with Charlotte Mason because of the fact that her writing & teaching encompasses much more than the academic - it considers the whole child.

I do always have this in the back of my mind when I read her work - she never had children of her own (neither did Maria Montessori). All of the teaching experience imaginable can't make up for the love we feel for our children, nor can it teach someone what it is to be responsible for this magnificent little being we have been entrusted with. I do think perhaps CM came closer to understanding because she lived with the children she taught, while MM's conclusions were from that of a researcher.

To the bolded: Maria Montessori did have a son, Mario Montessori. Like his mother, he worked in education.

To the OP, I think it's important to remember that Montessori isn't suited for every child, and not every Montessori school is equal. I wouldn't judge the method based off other people's experiences. If you're really curious I'd read the books and volunteer or observe at school with a good reputation.

I think Montessori teaches "how to think" and what success from good work feels like. I'd like to elaborate... but it's 12:30 and I'm not sure I'm type words or gobbly goop. :D

For what's a worth, I was just talking to a Montessori director of 30 years experience and he told me that of all the character attributes it develops, he thinks Montessori is most successful at cultivating "independence" in the 3-6 age group. I thought that was an interesting hook on which to hang my thinking about Montessori.

Which Montessori books have you looked at so far? Or do you have a great school near you? We have VERY few quality Montessori schools in this area--just a few grubby pretenders that are barely even quality preschools, much less "real" Montessori schools, so I've had to do a lot of self-study on this topic and I'm always interested in hearing what other parents have found useful!

I think it's important to remember that Montessori isn't suited for every child, and not every Montessori school is equal. I wouldn't judge the method based off other people's experiences. If you're really curious I'd read the books and volunteer or observe at school with a good reputation.

To the OP, I think Montessori teaches "how to think" and what success from good work feels like. I'd like to elaborate... but it's 12:30 and I'm not sure I'm type words or gobbly goop. :D

This is so true. Most people have trouble with the concept that Montessori is not a trademark or a curriculum outline. It is a philosophy. Any school can use the Montessori name without restriction, but a good school will be certified by one of the two independent programs that specialize in training Montessori teachers.

I love many of the aspects of Montessori and they fit in well with our household - learning to resolve arguments peacefully, focusing on natural and logical results, neat and orderly environments, beautiful materials, and self-correcting activities. We have a rotating activity bookshelf here that my 3yo uses during schooltime and we implement several techniques popularized by Montessori.

This is so true. Most people have trouble with the concept that Montessori is not a trademark or a curriculum outline. It is a philosophy. Any school can use the Montessori name without restriction, but a good school will be certified by one of the two independent programs that specialize in training Montessori teachers.

I love many of the aspects of Montessori and they fit in well with our household - learning to resolve arguments peacefully, focusing on natural and logical results, neat and orderly environments, beautiful materials, and self-correcting activities. We have a rotating activity bookshelf here that my 3yo uses during schooltime and we implement several techniques popularized by Montessori.

I agree!

I grew up in the Montessori scene and I have to say the best way it's shaped my thinking (from being a teacher and student) is the way it taught me to be a homeschooling mom. The things I learned in preschool are still with me. :)

I disagree with the idea that children should always lead their learning. That doesn't mean that we did drill & kill at all, but it does mean that I intentionally taught phonics and math.

Montessori also didn't believe that children should always lead their learning. The Montessori teacher is responsible for determining when to present new material to the child. Phonics, math and many other subjects were intentionally taught in my kids' Montessori classrooms.

I wanted to check if anyone of you have looked into the montessori philosophy for preschool years? I get the whole bit about it teaching children to be independent, responsible, sensitive but not sure how it shapes your approach to thinking as well as drills some core academic concepts.

Thanks again for all that you teach me.

Coming back to address this fully. In a good Montessori environment, every child is on an IEP. For my 3yo, our plan looks like this:

-I have a daily sheet to mark off what he did. Which materials he used, what he's currently gravitating to. This allows me to look back over time and see if he is focusing too much in one area for two long.

-I have binders full of potential activities. My Practical Life binder pages are covered in highlighter stickies - pink for writing development, blue for mathmatics foundations, green for pre-reading skills, yellow for reflection/attention to detail. Same in my other binders for Math, Language Arts, and Nature.

-his "toys" are all on trays or in baskets, so they are ready to go at any time.

Now, say he turns 4, and he wants to learn how to write but gets frustrated with the current activities. I can add in Whole Hand writing practice - scrolling paper, washing tables, using tweezers - all give him the practice he needs to develop writing muscles. Or say he wants to play trucks all day. That's fine. I'll introduce him to more materials on how to wash/care for the trucks, give him parts-to-whole cards and puzzles with the pieces of a truck cut out, encourage him to pick things up with the crane, or offer a math activity with truck erasers as the counters. The tabs let me find activities that correspond to his current physical development while challenging him across the board.

To the bolded: Maria Montessori did have a son, Mario Montessori. Like his mother, he worked in education.

Thanks for letting me know! I appreciate that.

I think it's important to remember that Montessori isn't suited for every child, and not every Montessori school is equal. I wouldn't judge the method based off other people's experiences. If you're really curious I'd read the books and volunteer or observe at school with a good reputation.

To the OP, I think Montessori teaches "how to think" and what success from good work feels like. I'd like to elaborate... but it's 12:30 and I'm not sure I'm type words or gobbly goop. :D

I think it's important to learn from observing and talking with other people. They are the ones with "boots on the ground" experience. I did read the books. They gave me enough information that I didn't need to go to a school to know it wasn't for us.

The problem that Calvin had with Montessori (he was at a Montessori school from age 5 3/4 to 7 3/4) was that so much of the learning was hands-on. There is a myth that all children learn better through their hands. Some don't. He spent a full year using the Montessori maths equipment, before his teacher came to me and said that he had never met a child like Calvin, didn't know how to accommodate him within Montessori maths and recommended that I teach him adding and carrying on paper. This was a Montessori teacher with over a decade of experience and who was the educational director of the school.

Laura

The problem that Calvin had with Montessori (he was at a Montessori school from age 5 3/4 to 7 3/4) was that so much of the learning was hands-on. There is a myth that all children learn better through their hands. Some don't. He spent a full year using the Montessori maths equipment, before his teacher came to me and said that he had never met a child like Calvin, didn't know how to accommodate him within Montessori maths and recommended that I teach him adding and carrying on paper. This was a Montessori teacher with over a decade of experience and who was the educational director of the school.

Laura

My background: My oldest two children went to a Montessori School until we started home schooling. I taught at a different Montessori pre-school and had begun the training to get my certification when I quit to home school. I also taught art in Public school prior to my montessori experience.

My oldest was like Laura's son- he loved his school. He loved his teacher. His teacher loved him, he was well behaved. He learned almost nothing that the math lessons aimed at teaching. When I brought him home I realized that he learns best by talking and discussing and reading. That is not how a montessori school is set up, especially not in the early years.

His younger sister absolutely thrived in the same montessori environment. She was years ahead in all subjects when I brought her home.

Plus- like other people mentioned, montessori schools vary widely in their stated philosophies and their actual day to day practices. I think it can be a great thing- but at the same time I think a well run home with a connected parent who involves their children in a lifestyle of learning is the ideal "montessori" environment. Meaningful work with real tools and real application... After all the system was developed to provide children without a stable home environment the background that they needed in order to be educated. In some ways doing Montessori at home is like trying to do Head Start at home. I say that knowing full well that we do quite a few montessori-like methods in my home, so I'm not bashing anyone. But barring learning disabilities why spend $ on equipment like this http://www.montessor...ng-a-flashlight when you can let your child have his own flashlight in a more natural way that also teaches how a home can be well organized?

As far as montessori producing a higher than average number of spoiled children- that's just nonsense. However, would a montessori education appeal disproportionately to the type of parent who doesn't know what to do (nor wants to spend time) with their child but wants bragging rights over how much $ they spend on their child? Possibly?

I personally didn't see a lot of spoiled children in our program or my children's program. In fact I felt both programs pushed independence and self-discipline almost too far.

Thanks for letting me know! I appreciate that.

I think it's important to learn from observing and talking with other people. They are the ones with "boots on the ground" experience. I did read the books. They gave me enough information that I didn't need to go to a school to know it wasn't for us.

Sorry TechWife, I meant to write the 2nd part to the op. I'm afraid it sounded like I was nagging you.

I have to disagree with the negative assessments of Montessori methods. She was a physician who observed kids You can also make a lot of cheap at-home Montessori activities (such as getting two bowls and putting beans in one bowl and allowing the child to move the beans using a measuring spoon).

My dear friend gave me one of these for my 2 year old. And he put beans in his nose. Twice. Ugh!

I don't know why but Montessori stuff just doesn't work with him. You present a thing to him and then he just messes with it. She also gave him a divided plate with colored balls where you are supposed to sort the colors into different sections of the plate. He prefers to stand on the plate and throw the balls.

He just seems too busy for Montessori.

I agree!

I grew up in the Montessori scene and I have to say the best way it's shaped my thinking (from being a teacher and student) is the way it taught me to be a homeschooling mom. The things I learned in preschool are still with me. :)

I wasn't in that type of environment, and the way I was taught in those early years has shaped the way I teach things too. It's amazing how those early years stick with you. :) I try to remember that when I'm doing things with my own young children. It's a good reminder that I'm shaping the way they will look at things.

My dear friend gave me one of these for my 2 year old. And he put beans in his nose. Twice. Ugh!

I don't know why but Montessori stuff just doesn't work with him. You present a thing to him and then he just messes with it. She also gave him a divided plate with colored balls where you are supposed to sort the colors into different sections of the plate. He prefers to stand on the plate and throw the balls.

He just seems too busy for Montessori.

My mom has worked with kids since my siblings and I were out of the house. For a short stint she worked in a Montessori preschool, but they didn't really train her on the methods. She'd tell me that she always had a few kids in the class that wanted to use the materials to make a new game instead of using them for the specific lessons. He's not the only one who wouldn't do the task. Judging by how many things I've retrieved from noses, he's not the only one to do that either! ;)

All three of mine went to Montessori preschool. My oldest went through K and I started homeschooling in first. My middle child is in Montessori K now and will homeschool next year. I plan for my youngest to continue in Montessoir through K as well (she's in her first year of 3). So far it has worked really well for all 3 of my kids. We did have some issues with the 2nd year with my oldest (the Montessori school was bought by a competing school and the new teachers and director were just not a good fit for us). We switched schools to a different Montessori school and had no further problems. We just love the teachers.

The biggest thing it's done for my kids so far is empower them. Too often as adults we do things for kids that they are capable for doing themselves. The Montessori philosophy encourages letting the child do things for themself, with assistance only when truly needed. This is really huge when it comes to self care. But my kids also really loved that they were "trusted" enough to use breakable materials (after being taught how to handle them, of course). They also loved the self-directed learning. Not that they did only what they wanted, but the teachers are really good at guiding the kids and getting them to try new things by making them exciting and fun. When my kids were in Montessori K, they had a checklist of works to do as well, in any order, so self directed with a goal.

My oldest's Montessori math foundation has worked really well in now teaching him Singapore math. For example, we were doing carrying, which he had done with Montessori manipulatives. So I just pulled out our manipulatives, showed him how he would have done the problem in Montessori school, explained how you do the same problem on paper, and he got it. I did not understand carrying and borrowing until I was in high school (I just did it as a formula, not understanding what the numbers were doing). My kid gets it now! He also was reading by the time I started homeschooling him and he had a good background in various other topics (which were less important to me).

I'm sure it doesn't work for every child, but Montessori has been a very positive experience for my family.

Thank you for all your thoughts and experiences. The idea about reading up on it makes complete sense - I did read the absorbent mind and found some very good information in it. Does anybody have other suggestions? I have also had a chance to observe primary classes (3-6) at about 5 schools now and I think that has helped me understand the method as well as how its being implemented a lot better now.

My experience so far has shown that schools affiliated with AMI seem to follow the philosophy in a more true sense. Also the schools with AMI had some very experienced teachers. Which brings me to my next learning which is the experience and personality of the teacher is very critical - the teachers need to know when to let go or pull the child in and that is not an easy dance.

I wish I knew about Montessori when my kids were little. I would have sent them there in a heartbeat. I don't know if I would have become a homeschooler if I'd known about (and could afford) the local Montessori school.

My dd started there in Gr 6 (upper elementary) and it was a perfect fit for her. Younger ds did not want to go to school at that point and was happy to stay at home. We couldn't afford to send 2 kids there at the same time so he started at a local public middle school and he loves it, but is allowed to switch to the Montessori school if he wants. Dd is in her last year there.

It probably isn't for every family, but I think all 3 of my kids would have thrived there.