Menu

Vegetables for breakfast? how do you prepare them?

Joan in GE

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too bad for me my new favorite restaurant is in another country!

Those breakfasts look really good!

I would enjoy having a baked sweet potato for brekkie. Maybe some other folks would like that, too.,

:iagree: They are good.

I'm eating leftover torta from last night and thought of this thread.

They're Mexican sandwiches which I make on halved crusty baguettes, so they're a good 12" each. Everyone eats about half for dinner with soup, then bags them up for breakfast the next day. They're soooo yummy! I put on a little mayo and vegan cheese and pop them in the broiler, then I top them with thick pureed black beans, avocado, red onion, cilantro, lots of cabbage, and some chili. Sometimes I put on a grilled vegan beef or chicken. It's a nice solid, not sweet breakfast (which has obviously been vegan-ized :D )

The boys eat breakfast burritoes. I will saute red pepper, leeks, a little shredded spinach, mushrooms, and shredded turkey, add some herbs, top with a little cheddar cheese and a small dollop of sour cream, and fill a tortilla. They eat them down and they seem to filling which is very important when feeding three boys.

I can't have the gluten, so I'll eat my veggies and turkey with a fork and usually add some legumes such as black beans because I have to keep my iron and fiber count very, very high in order to have even a semblance of health.

I think we must be pretty abnormal. I can get our family to eat beef/vegetable stew for breakfast as well!

Faith

has anyone suggested veggie tamales? I had them for breakfast today with beans and it really hit the spot.

The nice thing about tamales is that you can make a bunch and freeze them. Here's how my black beans for breakfast look: http://triedandtruefavoriterecipes.blogspot.com/2009/08/black-beans-blended-beans-refried-black.html. The kids think it's hilarious (scroll down a bit for pic), but no one can deny, they are delicious!

I'm eating leftover torta from last night and thought of this thread.

They're Mexican sandwiches which I make on halved crusty baguettes, so they're a good 12" each. Everyone eats about half for dinner with soup, then bags them up for breakfast the next day. They're soooo yummy! I put on a little mayo and vegan cheese and pop them in the broiler, then I top them with thick pureed black beans, avocado, red onion, cilantro, lots of cabbage, and some chili. Sometimes I put on a grilled vegan beef or chicken. It's a nice solid, not sweet breakfast (which has obviously been vegan-ized :D )

Ok - I just searched Google images and there are all kinds of things that come up! (some looked better than others) Do you have a favorite recipe?

The boys eat breakfast burritoes. I will saute red pepper, leeks, a little shredded spinach, mushrooms, and shredded turkey, add some herbs, top with a little cheddar cheese and a small dollop of sour cream, and fill a tortilla. They eat them down and they seem to filling which is very important when feeding three boys.

I can't have the gluten, so I'll eat my veggies and turkey with a fork and usually add some legumes such as black beans because I have to keep my iron and fiber count very, very high in order to have even a semblance of health.

Thanks for the idea; I also didn't know that black beans have high iron content - good to know...

has anyone suggested veggie tamales? I had them for breakfast today with beans and it really hit the spot.

The nice thing about tamales is that you can make a bunch and freeze them. Here's how my black beans for breakfast look: http://triedandtruef...ied-black.html. The kids think it's hilarious (scroll down a bit for pic), but no one can deny, they are delicious!

Helena - tamales are my favorite Mexican food!

I've never made them with the real corn husk leaves but have made all kinds of variations of tamale pie....Do you have a recipe that isn't too hard? Veggie tamales sound really good...Also the black bean picture link isn't working...or is one supposed to click on one of the dishes on the side?

Thanks!

Joan (PS mostly offhive to work on CH taxes these days :-()

Steamed vegetables? I know that sounds silly, but but sometimes a nice mix of steamed vegetables tastes good, you can do a lot with it and make tons of mixes and if you eat broccoli then you get that dose of fiber.

What about looking into breakfast style shish-kabobs?

The nice thing about tamales is that you can make a bunch and freeze them. Here's how my black beans for breakfast look: http://triedandtruef...ied-black.html. The kids think it's hilarious (scroll down a bit for pic), but no one can deny, they are delicious!

Well pfui...the link does not work!

Who says you have to eat "breakfast food" for breakfast? I'm a BIG fan of leftovers (for myself, at least). I eat a small breakfast with the kids before school, and then a second breakfast after I drop them off. Plenty of time to reheat something, or to cook something from scratch if I have a mind to do so.

Helena - tamales are my favorite Mexican food!

I've never made them with the real corn husk leaves but have made all kinds of variations of tamale pie....Do you have a recipe that isn't too hard? Veggie tamales sound really good...Also the black bean picture link isn't working...or is one supposed to click on one of the dishes on the side?

Thanks!

Joan (PS mostly offhive to work on CH taxes these days :-()

Tamales are a big family production here. Masa has to get made (from a tortilla factory or Mexican market), different sauces cooked, fillings prepared, tables and food set out. It's a full day of just putting them together. It's worth it though, because family tradition is awesome, and you end up with a freezer packed with tamales.

Some Mexican markets sell totally prepped masa. Many in my family don't eat lard, so we don't go that route. We go in with shortening and work on the flavor/ consistency. I think that's a good quicky way. Then just do one sauce and one filling. You could even do frozen pre-chopped veggies and a canned sauce. The husk is easy, just soak in hot water first.

You can also make masa from a bag of Masa Harina if you have a mixer: http://mexicanfood.about.com/od/deliciousmaindishes/r/tamaledough.htm

I've never done it this way, but I'd like to give it a try sometime.

Ok - I just searched Google images and there are all kinds of things that come up! (some looked better than others) Do you have a favorite recipe?

I do ours vegan :)

I use La Brea baguettes: http://www.labreabakery.com/our-breads-foods/baguettes/ I prefer them to the traditional rolls. Cut the in half and slice them open lengthwise. I put on a little mayo and shredded cheese and put them in the broiler until cheese is melted and the edges of the bread starts to brown. Take out and put on a plate with a piece of foil. Coat one or both sides with blended black beans, put a layer of grilled meat (we do chicken or beef) (sometimes we don't use any meat). Next I add slices and lightly salted avocado slices, and thinly slices green cabbage, red onions, and a bit of cilantro. Now tightly wrap up the sandwich and tear down foil to expose about a third of the lovely, lovely sandwich.

Everyone does it their own way. This is just one of a kabillion ways. :)

I have to eat it with sauce: http://www.elyucateco.com/english/products/sauces/kubil-ik.html

The black beans I do either fresh or canned (SunVista brand). Here's how I do it (cutting and pasting from another thread :))

Here's how I prepare them:

-In an iron skillet coat with a bit of oil

-add half peeled onion (bottom half), and a piece or two of garlic

-start to brown

-put in a piece of bacon (we're vegan, so I use this:http://www.lightlife...iet/Smart-Bacon

-when bacon is fried a bit, put it in blender

-once garlic is browned and juicy, add to blender

-once onion is blackened and juicy, your pan is ready for the beans (it doesn't go in blender)

-put one lg. or two sm. cans of beans in blender with everything else (I pour off a bit of the juice), if using fresh beans I guesstimate the amount to be around the same.

-I add a pinch of cumin and a pinch of vegan chicken broth.

-blend like there's no tomorrow

-pour into pan with hot seasoned oil (same pan you browned onion, garlic and bacon in)

-cook down on low for maybe 20 min., stir occasionally

-turn off and let it set for maybe 15 min.

-remove/discard onion

-squeeze in 1/2 lime

-stir/reheat

hth

let us know how they turn out if you make them!

Peeled and sliced cucumbers mixed with quartered tomatoes and tossed in good olive oil and a little salt are popular here. I like eating them with a little white cheese and bread. Yum!

Mmmm, yes please!! Sometimes I have to get off my families vegan train and eat this with feta.

Who says you have to eat "breakfast food" for breakfast? I'm a BIG fan of leftovers (for myself, at least). I eat a small breakfast with the kids before school, and then a second breakfast after I drop them off. Plenty of time to reheat something, or to cook something from scratch if I have a mind to do so.

I am eating more and more leftovers for breakfast myself - esp leftover veggies...

Now dd and I have been eating salad with reheated leftover veggies from the night before with some toasted sunflower seeds and cashews and fresh olive oil - really delicious. Even dd who was not a veggie person is really happy with this!

But AMJ - I see that you're to start HE in May...it could get a lot harder to make things from scratch once you aren't home alone anymore...But leftovers can do quite well...

Tamales are a big family production here. Masa has to get made (from a tortilla factory or Mexican market), different sauces cooked, fillings prepared, tables and food set out. It's a full day of just putting them together. It's worth it though, because family tradition is awesome, and you end up with a freezer packed with tamales.

Some Mexican markets sell totally prepped masa. Many in my family don't eat lard, so we don't go that route. We go in with shortening and work on the flavor/ consistency. I think that's a good quicky way. Then just do one sauce and one filling. You could even do frozen pre-chopped veggies and a canned sauce. The husk is easy, just soak in hot water first.

You can also make masa from a bag of Masa Harina if you have a mixer: http://mexicanfood.a...tamaledough.htm

I've never done it this way, but I'd like to give it a try sometime.

Helena - do you live in Mexico? a tortilla factory???? I'm jealous! I gave up trying to make my own as they were never thin enough.....

Sounds like a really fun family tradition - what other food making traditions do you have?

Thanks for the tamale dough recipe - I have Masa Harina.....2 cups of lard - wow! that's quite different than the recipes I've looked at before...have you ever used butter (you mentioned shortening - like Criso or something - which we don't have here)?

So do you cook them before putting them in the freezer? or after defrosting?

I do ours vegan :)

I use La Brea baguettes: http://www.labreabak...oods/baguettes/ I prefer them to the traditional rolls. Cut the in half and slice them open lengthwise. I put on a little mayo and shredded cheese and put them in the broiler until cheese is melted and the edges of the bread starts to brown. Take out and put on a plate with a piece of foil. Coat one or both sides with blended black beans, put a layer of grilled meat (we do chicken or beef) (sometimes we don't use any meat). Next I add slices and lightly salted avocado slices, and thinly slices green cabbage, red onions, and a bit of cilantro. Now tightly wrap up the sandwich and tear down foil to expose about a third of the lovely, lovely sandwich.

Everyone does it their own way. This is just one of a kabillion ways. :)

I have to eat it with sauce: http://www.elyucatec...s/kubil-ik.html

The black beans I do either fresh or canned (SunVista brand). Here's how I do it (cutting and pasting from another thread :))

Here's how I prepare them:

-In an iron skillet coat with a bit of oil

-add half peeled onion (bottom half), and a piece or two of garlic

-start to brown

-put in a piece of bacon (we're vegan, so I use this:http://www.lightlife...iet/Smart-Bacon

-when bacon is fried a bit, put it in blender

-once garlic is browned and juicy, add to blender

-once onion is blackened and juicy, your pan is ready for the beans (it doesn't go in blender)

-put one lg. or two sm. cans of beans in blender with everything else (I pour off a bit of the juice), if using fresh beans I guesstimate the amount to be around the same.

-I add a pinch of cumin and a pinch of vegan chicken broth.

-blend like there's no tomorrow

-pour into pan with hot seasoned oil (same pan you browned onion, garlic and bacon in)

-cook down on low for maybe 20 min., stir occasionally

-turn off and let it set for maybe 15 min.

-remove/discard onion

-squeeze in 1/2 lime

-stir/reheat

hth

let us know how they turn out if you make them!

That looks good for supper! I've never blended my black beans - just mashed them - I'll have to try your recipe and will let you know how it goes...Thanks!!!

Peeled and sliced cucumbers mixed with quartered tomatoes and tossed in good olive oil and a little salt are popular here. I like eating them with a little white cheese and bread. Yum!

Sounds good for a hot summer morning :-)

I know, but these were something else! Ha ha. ;)

I also needed a lentil-free option.

Eta: These look yummy:spicy cauliflower in a roti

http://www.nisahomey...om-scratch.html

I would eat that for breakfast!

That spicy cauliflower does look good!

You and Helena talking about dosa's got my mouth watering and I made them two evenings ago - they were so good!! I cheated by getting a mix for the dosa part and made the masala part from scratch from this recipe...I cooked the dosa's til they were really crispy - so delicious! (but they must put a lot of salt in that mix because my eyes were really puffy the next day)

Not a turnip recipe, but today I'm going to make a Moosewood Daily Special soup, Tomato and Kale with Barley. The recipe is online. I don't have any sun dried tomatoes though--think I'll substitute some dried mushrooms. They should work well with the canned chopped tomato and kale.

I took this from the other thread because I made it last night and it was delicious; I meant to have it for breakfast but had to get out early to pc taxes so will have it for lunch now....Having veg soups for breakfast seems so healthy too....

The dried tomato part of the flavor was what made it so good - so I'm very curious how it turned out with mushrooms?

Joan

I just made a crust-less breakfast quiche yesterday - it is pretty darn good, and very simple. Grease a 9 x 13 inch pan (with whatever), shred two small or one large zucchini and two carrots, whisk twelve eggs, mix those together and add about a tsp of salt, a tsp of rosemary, and a tsp of sage. Pour it in the pan and bake at about 375 F for 45 minutes. With hot sauce it is very good :) I can see many possibilities of ways to change this up or add to it after it is cooked....

I just made a crust-less breakfast quiche yesterday - it is pretty darn good, and very simple. Grease a 9 x 13 inch pan (with whatever), shred two small or one large zucchini and two carrots, whisk twelve eggs, mix those together and add about a tsp of salt, a tsp of rosemary, and a tsp of sage. Pour it in the pan and bake at about 375 F for 45 minutes. With hot sauce it is very good :) I can see many possibilities of ways to change this up or add to it after it is cooked....

That does sound good!

Simplicity++++++!

How did you figure the proportions of veg to eggs - or is it flexible?

I'd like to try the carrots, red onions and tarragon from Jane's recipe too...

Joan

Helena - do you live in Mexico? a tortilla factory???? I'm jealous! I gave up trying to make my own as they were never thin enough.....

I thought she lived in Southern California. However, I don't think they're too uncommon anymore. There are way more Mexican grocery stores near me, including giant ones, than there used to be, thank God!

Let the dough rest before rolling it out, Joan. It needs to relax in order to get thin.

That does sound good!

Simplicity++++++!

How did you figure the proportions of veg to eggs - or is it flexible?

I'd like to try the carrots, red onions and tarragon from Jane's recipe too...

Joan

I think it can be really flexible. Too many veggies and the eggs may not stay together as a casserole at the end, but then you'd just have baked scrambled eggs with veggies - which would still work just fine :) Be careful on veggies that have a high moisture content (like tomatoes) as the end product may have a bad texture or be all runny. The work around my be just squeezing out any extra fluids with a cheese cloth before adding them in, maybe.....

I thought she lived in Southern California. However, I don't think they're too uncommon anymore. There are way more Mexican grocery stores near me, including giant ones, than there used to be, thank God!

Let the dough rest before rolling it out, Joan. It needs to relax in order to get thin.

Oh! I thought I needed one of those metal tortilla presses :-)...Thanks Stripe

I think it can be really flexible. Too many veggies and the eggs may not stay together as a casserole at the end, but then you'd just have baked scrambled eggs with veggies - which would still work just fine :) Be careful on veggies that have a high moisture content (like tomatoes) as the end product may have a bad texture or be all runny. The work around my be just squeezing out any extra fluids with a cheese cloth before adding them in, maybe.....

Thanks Kristy!

Joan

Forgot to comment about this...I guess this makes sense with the increasing Mexican population, esp in certain areas of the US.... I'll have to have a search next time I'm back - get off the beaten track...

Thanks again Stripe...

I took this from the other thread because I made it last night and it was delicious; I meant to have it for breakfast but had to get out early to pc taxes so will have it for lunch now....Having veg soups for breakfast seems so healthy too....

The dried tomato part of the flavor was what made it so good - so I'm very curious how it turned out with mushrooms?

Joan

Well I will have to try the kale soup the "proper" way i.e. with the sundried tomato! Mushrooms tend to give a sort of earthy umami flavor to balance the tomato I suspect that the sundried tomato does make the overall flavor pop.

Well I will have to try the kale soup the "proper" way i.e. with the sundried tomato! Mushrooms tend to give a sort of earthy umami flavor to balance the tomato I suspect that the sundried tomato does make the overall flavor pop.

I did substitute 'broccoli rabe' for kale since kale is almost impossible to find here - it worked pretty well. I'm eating this soup as I write :-)

J

I do live in So Cal. :) We're very lucky to have so many different markets here. I do my shopping at Persian, Mexican, Vietnamese, and Indian shops. And traditional American too!

Joan, that's our biggie for cooking traditions. It's poetry.

I don't have too many other cooking traditions. Apple butter on the first day of fall. I try to cook everyones favs over Ramadan. If it's a special something or other for you, I just might cook a Mexican green rice.

My kids have made their own funny food traditions. They have certain foods that must be eaten while watching specific movies. I'll go ask them....

Okay, for example Mexican Chicken and Lime soup with That Darn Cat. :001_wub:

I use Crisco or Spectrum Shortening. I steam them before freezing so we don't have to wait hours to eat every time. You don't defrost them before cooking. They keep a long time in the freezer.

I love blended black beans. I learned to do it in Guatemala. Especially with day old beans in an iron skillet (like the link upthread.) It's divine when eaten with platanos.

I also use them (more liquid-y) to dip corn tortillas in. Dip tortilla in hot oil, dip in black beans to coat, fold in quarters, garnish with a dollop of sour cream, a slice of avocado, and some Yucateco. Serve with and Mexican soup. Mmmmm!! They'd be good for breakfast with potatoes and an egg.

(I love my metal tortilla press)

Make the Masa Harina recipe (water and lime). Pinch up the edges and fry. Fill with beans, cabbage, avo, tomatoes, what ever you like. A proper Mexican cheese makes them perfect. The kids love to press and pinch the tortillas.

Oh! I thought I needed one of those metal tortilla presses :-)...Thanks Stripe

I think you need those for corn, but rolling is fine for wheat flour. I stupidly assumed you meant wheat flour tortillas, because I didn't think you could get masa harina easily in Europe. Then again, I did see a recipe in a certain UK bread baking book with an enthusiastic recipe for corn tortillas featuring cornmeal. The picture made them look like some sort of dark, bumpy cracker. I was just sort of sad to think someone thought that was a tortilla, but also a bit touched that the authors wanted them enough to try!

I think Helena's is where I would install myself if I wanted to eat well. Yum. Everything you suggest sounds awesome!!

I do live in So Cal. :) We're very lucky to have so many different markets here. I do my shopping at Persian, Mexican, Vietnamese, and Indian shops. And traditional American too!

You don't defrost them before cooking.

I love blended black beans. I learned to do it in Guatemala.

Make the Masa Harina recipe (water and lime). Pinch up the edges and fry.

Are you saying you add extra lime? what does pinching the edges do?

So when you heat the tamales after taking them out of the freezer - are you just microwaving them or steaming them?

You're making me hungry for black beans....you make them sound so yummy.

It sounds like you cook very authentic ethnic foods...did you live other places besides Guatemala?

An Iranian friend gave us a recipe for this appetizer that is so tasty:

ground pistachios

garlic

black olives

coriander

lemon juice

I still haven't figured out how to have it stick together...it's very crumbly and falls off the bread...but it is so tasty...

I think you need those for corn, but rolling is fine for wheat flour.

Thanks for qualifying that...You are right this time - I would want it for corn tortillas...they sell lots of wheat tortillas here. But there is an American food store which carries the Masa Harina - and it's not that expensive.....

I've just figured out that I could probably find a tortilla press in a Mexican food store in the US....I'd given up before, thinking I would have to get it in Mexico...I actually lived there briefly when very young...and can still remember the women slapping the tortillas back and forth by hand, but that takes a certain technique which I don't have...

Joan

Thanks for qualifying that...You are right this time - I would want it for corn tortillas...they sell lots of wheat tortillas here. But there is an American food store which carries the Masa Harina - and it's not that expensive.....

I've just figured out that I could probably find a tortilla press in a Mexican food store in the US....I'd given up before, thinking I would have to get it in Mexico...I actually lived there briefly when very young...and can still remember the women slapping the tortillas back and forth by hand, but that takes a certain technique which I don't have...

Some Indian grocery stores sell tortilla presses, to be used for flat breads. It looks like there might be one in Geneva? You definitely shouldn't have to go to Mexico to get one!

Anyhow the lime used in corn for tortillas is not the lemon-like fruit, it's another lime, and it's used in processing the corn.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slaked_lime

If you shape it, by grabbing the edges, you end up with something more cup shaped. Then you can fill/top them with whatever you want.

http://claudiatello.hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Make-Mexican-Sopes

Stripe that is a very creative idea - using an Indian flatbread press....We do have Indian food stores...I'll have to call around....

I did know that the lime is different, but Helena said - add water and lime - which got me confused....

Thanks! Joan

Stripe that is a very creative idea - using an Indian flatbread press....We do have Indian food stores...I'll have to call around....

Actually I think the Indians are using Mexican equipment, not the other way around. Normally Indian breads are rolled, not pressed.

Helena, do you have a book you can recommend for Mexican cooking inspiration? Everything you suggest sounds fresh and lively. I was a vegetarian for a very long time and am not a big meat eater. Maybe I should just read your posts!

So when you heat the tamales after taking them out of the freezer - are you just microwaving them or steaming them?

You're making me hungry for black beans....you make them sound so yummy.

It sounds like you cook very authentic ethnic foods...did you live other places besides Guatemala?

An Iranian friend gave us a recipe for this appetizer that is so tasty:

ground pistachios

garlic

black olives

coriander

lemon juice

I still haven't figured out how to have it stick together...it's very crumbly and falls off the bread...but it is so tasty...

Joan

Ack! I forgot to say that they're called sopes! :) You add water and some lime juice to masa harina to a nice consistency, roll it into 2" balls, press (but not too hard, you want them kind of thick), pinch up the edges a bit all around and fry. It's like Stripe says, pinching the edges kind of cups it up and holds your goodies in.

I steam the tamales. That's a great part, to smell them cooking. I like to serve them with pozole. Mmmm... a perfect meal.

I never live, lived in Guatemala. I used to do some heavy traveling in Central America though. I'm Mexican and come from a family of serious cooks. Central America brought some new amazing foods into my life. Guatemalan style black beans, pupusas from El Salvador, Gallo Pinto from Costa Rica...

I grew up on pintos and it's my comfort food, especially when my mom cooks them. But now I mostly cook black beans. It still surprises my mom when she eats my cooking she always says "Oh, you made black beans." :tongue_smilie:

What's the name of your Persian dish? It sounds good! We do a Persian dinner once in a while. I pick up the rice cooked from the Persian market. Man! They make a mean rice! It reminds me of my grandma. Each grain is perfect.

I also love how their food plays with sour flavors.

Actually I think the Indians are using Mexican equipment, not the other way around. Normally Indian breads are rolled, not pressed.

Helena, do you have a book you can recommend for Mexican cooking inspiration? Everything you suggest sounds fresh and lively. I was a vegetarian for a very long time and am not a big meat eater. Maybe I should just read your posts!

I'm actually not that good of a cook. I do Mexican fine... but you should see what I do to some of the other dishes I try to cook! :D

I use family recipes for the most part. The only cookbook I really use is Mexico the Beautiful. I have a few others for a recipe here or there, but I love Mexico the Beautiful. Great photos, killer recipes. I change them here and there to taste and to omit meat.

http://www.amazon.com/Mexico-Beautiful-Cookbook-Susanna-Palazuelos/dp/0067575862/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1364854011&sr=1-1&keywords=mexico+the+beautiful+cookbook

It's out of print, but it's worth tracking down.

I grew up on pintos and it's my comfort food, especially when my mom cooks them. But now I mostly cook black beans. It still surprises my mom when she eats my cooking she always says "Oh, you made black beans." :tongue_smilie:

What's the name of your Persian dish? It sounds good! We do a Persian dinner once in a while. I pick up the rice cooked from the Persian market. Man! They make a mean rice! It reminds me of my grandma. Each grain is perfect.

I also love how their food plays with sour flavors.

thanks for the other details Helena...

I wish my comfort foods were healthier - like beans of some kind :-)

The appetizer is from the town of Rasht - but doesn't have a name. I mentioned it since you mentioned shopping in a Persian food store....Since I don't think you'll find it online, I'll give the proportions:

200 g. ground pistachios

3 cl garlic

crush, hash together in processor

1 bunch coriander - chop and add

lemon juice - the original recipe calls for 2-3 dl but last time we used about 3 T and it tasted great to me

500 g black olives - pitted and cut in half - add - last time we put them in the processor too and processed briefly (so they didn't become mush but were in sm chunks)

serve on white bread....

I use family recipes for the most part. The only cookbook I really use is Mexico the Beautiful. I have a few others for a recipe here or there, but I love Mexico the Beautiful. Great photos, killer recipes. I change them here and there to taste and to omit meat.

I just ordered it - not expensive either...

Thanks for all the information Helena,

Joan

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, of course you use family recipes. Hmph. Well, anyhow, I got an ILL copy of Mexico the Beautiful.

I am now ready to move to Mexico.

Yeah, of course you use family recipes. Hmph. Well, anyhow, I got an ILL copy of Mexico the Beautiful.

I am now ready to move to Mexico.

My library does not have Mexico the Beautiful but it does have Mexican Favorites by the same author. I am putting it on my list.

You ladies are making me hungry and wanting to make vegetables for breakfast now!! Never thought I'd say that! lol

Just ran across this recipe for a sweet potato hash I thought I'd share: http://creolecontess...th-sausage.html

And follow this woman on Pinterest: http://www.nisahomey...ml#.UTckH9bkaSo . She's got a file of non-traditional breakfasts that look good. (Guess I got her link initally here--blush)

Growing up we basically ate corn, peas, green beans (all canned!) plus lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, and cabbage. We didn't really get adventurous. I LOVE reading about all these meals that are foreign to me!

Years ago, I had planned to make these type of meals at lunch, a time when dh wouldn't be there to ask, "where's the meat?", and the kids would probably get to try some meatless meals. Unfortunately, I never quite got there. I'm thinking as I'm alone more often lately- with kids and dh all out with no notice- that I could start cooking this way now. Even ask a few girlfriends in the same boat to join me!

Tina - that's great that you can be motivated by this thread...my dh is suspicious too of dietary changes....that's another reason why breakfast veggies are great - we eat separately...

You should taste this soup from Jane in NC...my dd now says I can make it every two weeks - that's how much she likes it...but I would recommend using dried tomatoes and not dried mushrooms...:-)

ETA - thanks for adding this

And follow this woman on Pinterest: http://www.nisahomey...ml#.UTckH9bkaSo . She's got a file of non-traditional breakfasts that look good.

Joan

snapback.pngJane in NC, on 27 February 2013 - 04:31 PM, said:

Not a turnip recipe, but today I'm going to make a Moosewood Daily Special soup, Tomato and Kale with Barley. The recipe is online. I don't have any sun dried tomatoes though--think I'll substitute some dried mushrooms. They should work well with the canned chopped tomato and kale.

You should taste this soup from Jane in NC...my dd now says I can make it every two weeks - that's how much she likes it...but I would recommend using dried tomatoes and not dried mushrooms...:-)

snapback.pngJane in NC, on 27 February 2013 - 04:31 PM, said:

Boy, the grief never stops around here! ;)

Yesterday I picked up my first CSA box of the spring/summer season. It contained the requisite kale, of course. Thanks for reminding me about this soup. If I make it this coming week I will either have to buy some sun-dried tomatoes or consider using those dried mushrooms that are just sitting in my cupboard.

I'll report back later on the big decision.

Over the weekend I plan on making a leek/spinach quiche--again using stuff from the CSA.

Jane

I've got a new breakfast favorite.

In a small iron skillet, saute your favorite finely diced veggies - for me today it was green beans (found a bag from last years harvest in the back of the freezer), red pepper, yellow pepper, mushrooms (not technically a veggie but these were baby bellas and I lump them in that category), a little shredded cabbage, and a little bit of celery...I sauteed them in coconut oil.

In a sauce pan, I heated chicken broth and then took an egg (scrambled it well in a bowl), and slowly dripped it into the broth - homemade egg drop soup - then added the veggies and a little garlic and cooked for just a few minutes. I ladled it up over some leftover brown rice from the previous evening's meal. Boy, was that yummy! Definitely not your typical breakfast, but quite satisfying.

Also, I have recently discovered that leftover potato leek soup with a boiled egg on the side starts the day out right too!

Faith

In a small iron skillet, saute your favorite finely diced veggies - for me today it was green beans (found a bag from last years harvest in the back of the freezer), red pepper, yellow pepper, mushrooms (not technically a veggie but these were baby bellas and I lump them in that category), a little shredded cabbage, and a little bit of celery...I sauteed them in coconut oil.

In a sauce pan, I heated chicken broth and then took an egg (scrambled it well in a bowl), and slowly dripped it into the broth - homemade egg drop soup - then added the veggies and a little garlic and cooked for just a few minutes. I ladled it up over some leftover brown rice from the previous evening's meal. Boy, was that yummy! Definitely not your typical breakfast, but quite satisfying.

Also, I have recently discovered that leftover potato leek soup with a boiled egg on the side starts the day out right too!

It was perfect to wake up to this proposition and I just made your soup this morning (minus the rice and not using green beans but adding spring onions and coriander) !

It's a welcome change for getting in an egg...For some reason after getting ill in Feb - I'm turned off of scrambled eggs - so am just eating veggies without them...But I do need the protein....and then the light soup is great for liquids....

Dd looked at it and said 'yuck' though - but that's ok - we don't have to eat together....

This morning however I'm sneaking the last piece of vegetable free cake :p

Haha - I've never seen cakes labeled as such "vegetable-free" - how funny.

Joan