Menu

Question about invite

Mrs Mungo

How would you feel if this was included on the invite for your homeschool support meeting for the month?

In this case I might wonder if it will be a talk about entrepreneurship and working for yourself, especially since that's a hot topic in some homeschooling circles. It definitely sounds like a pitch for a particular home business opportunity the way it's written, though.

How would you feel if this was included on the invite for your homeschool support meeting for the month?

I would email and ask who the speaker would be for the topic. We had speakers for that kind of topic at the libraries and it is usually about hobbies like crafting, baking where people can sell at etsy/farmers market/flea market.

The way it's presented is a bit ick, I agree. However, based on this blog post I read yesterday at the Get Rich Slowly site about turning your experience into potential side jobs as a "subject matter expert," I might give them the benefit of the doubt. I'd be curious enough about what it was about to attend, but would be prepared to have a sudden "emergency" if it wasn't something I felt appropriate to sit through.

They didn't provide any more information than that? I hate event announcements like that.

Erica in OR

When I read your first post I definitely thought it was an invitation to a MLM type demonstration. However, after reading that it was included in your local hs group's invite, I'm thinking along the same lines as Erica. Either way, I wouldn't be interested and would likely skip out.

It could be that they are trying to be helpful, as a lot of homeschool families could use a bit of extra income. So it could be simply a helpful way to suggest turning your hobbies into a money making endeavor. I know a lot of homeschoolers that have craft bazaars around Christmas time. I also think it could be somebody in your group is a part of one of those MLM schemes, and wants to add to their list of people. We have one or two of those in our group too, and they are constantly being reminded not to bring their "business" to the group. I would want more info before attending.

Not necessarily. The "turn your hobby into a business" part would have me thinking more along the lines of a workshop that covers how to gauge the market for whatever product or service your hobby enables you to create, how to shift from hobby to business, etc. To me, it sounds more like a business/entrepreneurship workshop.

Most MLM operations don't tie in with people's existing hobbies. They generally have a very specific product or service that you sign up to sell or deliver. It might still be an MLM deal, but IMO it sounds like something different.

I wouldn't dismiss it until confirming with the organizers what it's about.

My first thought was a scrapbooking MLM. On a homeschool meeting invitation? Was anything else on the invitation? If there was a general topic about turning your hobbies into a business then maybe I'd go. It could be interesting to hear a few people talk about how they got their own business started and some of the challenges they encounter, how it meshes with homeschooling, etc. But if the whole meeting is for someone to give their MLM presentation and try to recruit, I think *that* would be inappropriate as a topic and I would not attend.

• 2 weeks later...