Menu

Need safe read alouds

Clarkd

My kids have a lot of fears. They were all adopted from foster care and are still working through many issues. Finding good books that don't become terrifying is difficult. Unfortunately, we have ended up with a lot of crap books. Now don't get me wrong, we have read some that are fabulous, but as they get older, it is hard to find complex stories that are in their comfort zone. Some books we have read that were comfortable for them, but I don't rec. include Magic Tree House series and Rainbow Fairies series. We are reading the Moongobble and Me series right now. Things we need to avoid right now include: violence, religion, weapons, harmed animals, hunting, orphans, evil family members, kidnapping, family members leaving. As I said, it makes it complicated. Any books with complex, rich language and plot sans issues listed above are greatly appreciated!

My kids have a lot of fears. They were all adopted from foster care and are still working through many issues. Finding good books that don't become terrifying is difficult. Unfortunately, we have ended up with a lot of crap books. Now don't get me wrong, we have read some that are fabulous, but as they get older, it is hard to find complex stories that are in their comfort zone. Some books we have read that were comfortable for them, but I don't rec. include Magic Tree House series and Rainbow Fairies series. We are reading the Moongobble and Me series right now. Things we need to avoid right now include: violence, religion, weapons, harmed animals, hunting, orphans, evil family members, kidnapping, family members leaving. As I said, it makes it complicated. Any books with complex, rich language and plot sans issues listed above are greatly appreciated!

I think I might remember the Moomintrolls series being very gentle. You would have to pre-read to see if I am wrong. Mine liked the Thornton Burgess books, too, when they began reading to themselves and didn't want anything too scary, but again, I would pre-read because mine weren't dealing with the issues yours are.

Nan

Funny, my first thought was the Moomintrolls too (with the same caveat).

I haven't read them yet, but I have heard TumTum and Nutmeg recommended so many times as gentle stories that I bought a book of them to read with my kids. Could be worth considering.

There are hundreds/thousands of really good picture books out there. They tend to have complicated language and interesting stories. I don't know where to start in listing some of those. Non-fiction... Magic School Bus series. I think if you look for childrens' picture book lists here or generally online you will find good ideas. Then check your library and order them online (like I do) :). Picture books are easy to preread too.

Gosh, I never thought about this before. The Moomintroll books are great but they have things in them like floods (that's the one I remember the most). I googled around and found this nice blog which lists some possibilities.http://nurturedbylove.blogspot.com/2008/03/gentle-stories.html

Someone in the comments there mentioned Milly Molly Mandy. Those are great possibility too.

Some possibilities:

All of a Kind Family

Winnie the Pooh (I see others posters have mentioned this. It is a lot of fun.)

Some of the older mystery series for kids such as The Happy Hollisters and The Bobbsey Twins. The mysteries are always tame (ie. helping figure out who is stealing from local business, etc.- no murder or anything like that but you may need to prescreen for ones involving orphans or animals the kids help. The Happy Hollisters is fun and my girls loved the few we did as read alouds. The siblings are so sweet to each other.

My dd (12 now ) was sensitive when first reading chapter books on her own, and she really enjoyed the Betsy books by Carolyn Haywood. You might need to preread a couple but these are some that she remembers as sweet and fun. The author has written several and also some books about a boy named Eddie.

When you mentioned gentle read alouds I thought of TumTum and Nutmeg, but after reading your criteria realized it may not fit. The 2 children are sort of neglected by their absent minded father - the mother is missing and I can't remember if she has died or what happened - and their is an aunt or some family member that the kids are afraid of that comes to stay for a while.

Just trying to remember some of our favorites, I was a little surprised at how many classics involve orphans.

Hope this helps,

Cindy

Not sure what level you are looking for, but my kids have liked Beverly Cleary, the Betsy Tacy books, The Doll People series, and the Ivy and Bean books. They also liked the Mrs Piggle Wiggle books, though there is some spanking and bullying in some of the stories. I don't know what kind of library you have, but you might want to ask there. Our children's librarians are really good with questions like this.

Thanks for the suggestions! My librarian is generally awesome, but when I asked this question she said they just need to experience life. You can't shelter them. All books have conflict; it's what makes a strong story.

At some level I agree with her, however, we need to take it one step at a time. She isn't there for the night terrors, screaming, hiding, etc. Further, they hate scary stuff. I don't want them to start hating read alouds. Right now, that's just not the place for desensitization.

Your sig says they are ages 3, 4, 5, 6. They seem young, even aside from fear/foster care background issues, for complex books. I'd suggest wonderful let's-all-cuddle-up-together picture books like Make Way for Ducklings, The Mountain that Loved a Bird (title may be a bit off) and so on. My ds also adopted from foster background at age 6 loved a sad, stunningly illustrated and gets happier at end, Mo Willems/Jon Muth book called something like City Dog, Country Frog (as well as other Jon Muth books like The Three Questions), and when younger than that especially liked things that were funny: Judith Viorst's Alexander books, If You Give a Mouse a Cookie and If You Give a Pig a Pancake, and Little Critter books. At those young ages, a picture book can be read many times over and it gives a feeling of comfort and security.

He also loved E.B. White books (which certainly are complex and rich), but maybe they have too much of weapons or other issues you want to avoid.

I'd also recommend Beatrix Potter--but maybe it is too violent in places. Dr. Seuss can be fun at those ages and has a lot of play with language. For longer and more complex, I second Winnie the Pooh.

Why don't you like Magic Tree House?

It is really tough. Even with sensitive/fearful kids there can be so many different things and what bothers one may not bother another. Magic Tree House was considered scary here - but I know it doesn't bother a lot of kids. So, I think you do have to preread everything at this point and see if it fits with what would work for your kids. I do think you are right to keep it gentle and not worry about pushing it right now.

Some that occur to me.

Picture books for sure - so many good ones.

I'd ask the librarian also about collections of gentle poetry - I wish I had a good title in mind but I don't, but I bet there are some nice children's poetry collections that may be good exposure to rich language and with rereading over time develop that kind of comforting familiarity that can be so good for kids.

Pooh - original AA Milne no Disney stuff.

Frog and Toad

Moomintroll

Winnie the Pooh

Milly, Molly, Mandy

Teddy Robinson Storybook

All of a Kind Family

Dick King-Smith (hit and miss but there are lots of titles so you may find some good ones)

Little Bear

Homer Price (though I can't remember if it touches on any of the problem categories)

Enormous Egg (again not 100% sure... it seemed safe here though)

I think I previous poste recommended Thornton Burgess. Some of his books would be great for your kids, so wouldn't be. Hopefully tomorrow when I'm home I could look up my notes and tell you which ones to avoid. I know off the top of my head don't do "Little Joe Otter" or "Reddy Fox" or "Chattered the Red Squriel" and definitionly not the one about the dear. I haven't read a Burgess book in over a year, but at one point I had read all of the fiction ones at least three time, and some seven times.

Right now I'm just thinking of which books you might think are safe and are not. For example, "Toys go out" might Look perfect and would not be.

Right now I'm thinking of Mr. Poppers penguins. The only death is when a penguin eats some of the fish from the fish tank. That scene lasts about one sentence. Mind you my kids commented on it anyways. (insert eye roll)

I think Raggedy Ann might be a good fit. But I'll have to double check.

I love talking about read alouds and this is an interesting discussion becasue thinking back on our favorite read alouds there have been lots of death and unhappiness. DD and I both loved Carry On, Mr Bowditch and it had a death count that would rival a Chuck Norris movie.

James Herriot's Treasury for Children is lovely. Wonderful pictures. Nice cozy stories.

Paddle-to-the-Sea by Holling C Holling

Gooney Bird Greene by Lois Lowry. Funny.

Franny K. Stein series - The little girl is a mad scientist. Short, funny, and easy to read.

My Father's Dragon by Ruth Stiles Gannett

Five True Dog Stories by Margaret Davidson

Dolphin Adventure by Wayne Grover

Capyboppy by Bill Peet

We did try Beatrix Potter. My 4 yo is terrified of Mr. mcGregor and the wolf. Didn't work for us. Magic Tree House worked except the ninja one and the snowstorm where Jack and Annie get separated. Magic SchoolBus has been good. Yes, Winnie the Pooh has worked well. Thanks for the great suggestions!

Your sig says they are ages 3, 4, 5, 6. They seem young, even aside from fear/foster care background issues, for complex books. I'd suggest wonderful let's-all-cuddle-up-together picture books like Make Way for Ducklings, <snip>

I second this. I hadn't realized just how young the kids were. There are hundreds of picture books with wonderful language, well worth reading, and I've never met the kid who didn't like to read certain picture books again and again. Huge bonus, they are easily pre-read!

Another vote for reading lots of picture books. Even at 8 yo DD loves picture books. At night I'll usually read a few chapters in our read aloud and then DH will read us both a picture book. I love picture books too. :)

Paddington? I don't know if the underlying story would be difficult though: he sets off on his own from Peru when his aunt is too old to look after him. He's 'adopted' by a British family.

Milly-Molly-Mandy? It's a while since I read her, but I seem to remember it just being very sweet stories.

Laura