Menu

Please settle our debate- Is Nutella healthy?

FlyingMOm

265 members have voted

1. 1. Is Nutella a healthy breakfast choice?

• Yes, of course!
    • No way- it's obviously bad for you.
    • eh- it's okay in moderation but not in excess. (excess= more than 2x a week)

Moderation and variety of foods in one's diet is the key. No one should have only one food at each meal. I wouldn't let my kid eat Nutella on a spoon every morning for breakfast, but I don't let him eat only an apple for breakfast either. I don't have any problem with Nutella on toast as part of breakfast or any other meal as long as the rest of the meal gets eaten too. IMO people are a bit obsessed with things being perfectly healthy and if they're not it's treated like a poison. Reeses Puffs cereal claims to be full of vitamins but I wouldn't eat it if you paid me, ditto to mango wheatgrass smoothies.

Moderation and variety of foods in one's diet is the key. No one should have only one food at each meal. I wouldn't let my kid eat Nutella on a spoon every morning for breakfast, but I don't let him eat only an apple for breakfast either. I don't have any problem with Nutella on toast as part of breakfast or any other meal as long as the rest of the meal gets eaten too. IMO people are a bit obsessed with things being perfectly healthy and if they're not it's treated like a poison. Reeses Puffs cereal claims to be full of vitamins but I wouldn't eat it if you paid me, ditto to mango wheatgrass smoothies.

This. I also don't let my kids eat jam on a spoon for breakfast, or do shots of maple syrup. They're condiments.

Since I'm the one who posted a picture of the full height display of Nutella and similar spreads in my local store, I went with healthy, even though I know it's probably not the best choice in the world. Hazelnut spread on a slice of bread is a staple for us as well, though we do try to combine it with cheese and sliced veggies and other parts of a typical breakfast.

Justin's makes a chocolate hazelnut butter that is a healthier version of Nutella. Outright healthy? Not so sure. But healthiER. Oh, and still very good!

What makes you feel like it's healthier?

Ingredients of Justin's:

Ingredients: Dry Roasted Almonds, Organic Evaporated Cane Sugar, Organic Cocoa Powder, Organic Cocoa Butter, Organic Palm Fruit Oil, Natural Vanilla, Sea Salt.

Of Nutella:

Ingredients: Sugar, Vegetable Oil, Hazelnuts (13%), Skim Milk Powder (8.7%), Fat-Reduced Cocoa Powder (7.4%), Emulsifier (Lecithins) (Soy), Flavouring (Vanillin).

Middle dd won't actually let us buy anything with palm oil because of the orangatans.

My 7 year old loves it. He loves it on anything and with anything. He once asked me to make him a Nutella and ham sandwich. He ate it, but did say not to make it again. LOL

That's funny! My 14yo chocolate lover was meh about Nutella--no one else liked it at all. He thought it was ok in coffee but not enough for him to ask for it again. He didn't even finish the jar.

Guest submarines

This is pretty healthy for those who eat HFLC: http://www.ourbestbites.com/2012/11/chocolate-hazelnut-spread-homemade-nutella/

Especially if you use stevia or honey instead of sugar, and use organic dark chocolate. Yum.

Even a better choice: http://paleospirit.com/2012/homemade-nutella-paleo-vegan/

It is not a healthy breakfast in and of itself, but it is a healthy addition to a healthy breakfast, in moderation.

Depends on who you're asking.

For my two underweight children, for some reason the ped is thrilled with them having Nutella on toast or an english muffin for breakfast. I assume it must be higher in fats and proteins?

Regardless, I love the stuff. Like, spoon to jar "love it". I prefer not to look at the label, because it wouldn't change my love for it and would add guilt. No win situation. Lol.

My kid too! What is up with that? Was there a show about it or something? I should ask him where he heard about the evils of palm oil.

THe Honolulu Zoo had an orangutan, and the zookeepers talked to the kids about Palm Oil. My dd has done tons of zoo programs due to her love of animals. So, that's where she gets it.

THe Honolulu Zoo had an orangutan, and the zookeepers talked to the kids about Palm Oil. My dd has done tons of zoo programs due to her love of animals. So, that's where she gets it.

Wow, Honolulu! Well, I know it wasn't from there. :lol:

I just asked my ds and he says he read about it in Ranger Rick.