Menu

Friends & homeschool groups

reign

My girls' two best friends moved this winter. The two families with children on our block moved this fall. Now that my girls are school age the kids we do know are in public school and are no longer available to meet up. I need find these kids some friends. Where do you look? No local park days that I can find. I do know of a homeschool karate class but my girls are not excited about that!

Your dds can't meet their public-school friends in the afternoons/early evenings or on weekends?

Not all of my dds friends were homeschoolers. They had friends in 4-H (not a homeschool 4-H club) and in their dance classes (also not homeschool classes). One dd is still friends with a fellow homeschooler that we met at a homeschool bowling league, which met in the late afternoon, not in the morning--IOW, after public school hours.

I have never been successful with homeschool groups. We have found a majority of our friends through sports, tae kwon do or soccer. We have made friends through social groups like Pokemon club or finding like-minded people on meet up or yahoo groups.

It never hurts to try new groups though. I am just very particular (read introverted).

I've always found that as much as I am looking for some friends for my children, so are most other homeschoolers. Sometimes you may need to be the organizer. Start organizing a park day and announce it to all the homeschool groups you know of. Put up flyers in the library etc. Do it several times, so they start to know it's a regular thing. See what happens.

I've always found that as much as I am looking for some friends for my children, so are most other homeschoolers. Sometimes you may need to be the organizer. Start organizing a park day and announce it to all the homeschool groups you know of. Put up flyers in the library etc. Do it several times, so they start to know it's a regular thing. See what happens.

This. When I moved here there were no regular meetings for families with young hs kids. So I started contacting known homeschoolers with older kids and they passed the word on to any families they knew with younger children. We started with park days, progressed to meeting regularly in a church building, and now we meet in each other's homes. Several of the other mums told me they had been intending to do the same thing but hadn't gotten around to organizing a group. There are probably others in your area wondering how to meet some other hs, it just takes someone to get it going.

Try organizing a PE co-pp. We love ours! The kids play together before and after class and have a great time.

We meet other homeschoolers through homeschool groups. Ds is not very excited about doing a handbell choir, but he tolerates it to be able to having the time before and after class to play with friends that also go there. You might give the karate class a try for a semester.

Dd only has one homeschooling friend, but they met at ballet way before dd started homeschooling in fifth grade! We never get together during school hours though we allow the girls to text each other at lunchtime :)

Her other friends attend public and private schools. They come from Girl Scouts, her former school, ballet, and Lego League----all non-homeschooling groups or activities.

"Your dds can't meet their public-school friends in the afternoons/early evenings or on weekends?"

This is what I would prefer but it seems the friends we know now are just too busy to meet regularly. I really liked having a active neighborhood with 4 families of kids available to play with. Now that they have moved I agree I'll just have to start making a bigger effort to create/join some groups. I am south of Detroit but not quite in the neighborhoods with many homeschoolers.