Menu

6th grade plans??

Editing for the second time . . .

Math: finish MM6, with a bunch of supplements: Zaccaro, HOE, Life of Fred PreAlgebra, Math for Real Kids, Kiss My Math, then delve into AoPS PreAlgebra

Writing: Finish up WWS1 & Essay Voyage, Start WWS 2

LA - weekly loop:

Spelling - finish LOE using the Advanced spelling list

Grammar - Practice Voyage, then maybe try KISS grammar?

Vocab - Finish CE2, start Word w/in Word

Literary terms - Figuratively Speaking, How To Read Lit Like a Professor (for Kids)

Applied Grammar/Writing: Killgallon's Grammar for Middle School

Foreign Language - Getting Started with Spanish

History - Homemade Modern History, focusing on 12 Topics/Themes, reading a mix of texts, primary sources, non fiction, historical fiction, and literature, and doing WTM-style outlining, writing, and literary analysis assignments

Science - Physical Science, using Story of Science: Newton at the Center plus the Quest Guides, the Thames & Kosmos Milestones of Science kit, The Planets by Dava Sobel (love this book!) and McHenry's The Elements

Logic/Critical Thinking - Zacarro's 10 Things Future Scientists and Mathemeticians Need to Know but are rarely taught & Art of Argument

Study Skills - Study Strategies Plus by Sirotowitz. Focusing on reading comprehension & notetaking exercises

Outside activities: swimming, horseback riding, and theater

Just updated our plans, too. No drastic changes, but many refinements, I'm working harder to organize and streamline our schedule & plans, because dd7 will be joining us to homeschool next year :hurray: :hurray: and so things will be a lot more complicated. I don't know how y'all with multiple children do it, hats off to you!

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is my current plan. Not much has changed, but I'm putting her booklets together for next year and wanted to hash it out again mentally first.

LA: VP 6 literature. Figuratively Speaking. Shurley English 7. WWS 1. Phonetic Zoo. Spencerian handwriting.

Math: AoPS Pre-Algebra and Dolciani Pre-Algebra We'll do these concurrently and not worry if they take more than a year.

Latin/Greek: LfC B/C Finish B, begin C. We are going to get our toes wet with the Greek alphabet (Codecracker and Hupogrammon).

History: 1815-Present with VP history cards and various other resources

Science: Chemistry using McHenry's Elements and Carbon Chemistry; Tiner's World of Chemistry; and, if I get to it, a chem kit.

Logic: Art of Argument. Logic Problems.

Bible: VP Acts-Revelations

Art: Atelier Art, although we rarely bother.

Music: Piano lessons and whatever Opal Wheeler biographies we don't finish this year.

Spanish: Duo Lingo. Paso A Paso A.

Spanish 2 though Oklahoma State University

Latin class that she and I will continue to take together

IEW

SWR- finish up the lists this year

Saxon 8/7

Literature class - focus on Iliad, Odyssey & Aeneid for most of the year

Possibly use Hake 6 for grammar 2 days a week or take a break from grammar due to the languages

Science will be a hodgepodge -- Horrible Science books, Bill Nye and documentaries

Art - Atelier

I own SL H and Beautiful Feet's music appreciation program. I am thinking we will be very tight on time with the lit class, among other things, but I'd like to either do BF or SL at half pace, stretching it over two years. We will see.

Extras: piano, ballet (she starts with her pointe shoes next week), scouting, coop cooking & sewing classes

ok, finally have our plan:

Math: Challenge Math, Derek Owens Prealgebra, Word Problems(critical thinking book)

Science: Rainbow year 1

History: 2nd half of Core G/middle ages

Spelling/vocab: R&S 7, EfTRU

Grammar: R&S 6

Writing: IEW SWI-B

Bible: Picture Smart Bible NT

Spanish: Rosetta Stone

Geography: EM Daily Geo 6

Logic: Building Thinking Skills, Mindbenders, Think a Grams

Think that's it :-) He doesn't want to do any art. So we will just look at it in History. I do have some middle age art projects planned disguised as history lol

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have any idea of how much time they will spend on each of these subjects?  Total hours per day?  WHat time do you get started/finished.  I am feeling :willy_nilly: like this guy right now b/c when I list what I want to do......ugh! And I wouldn't do each every day or anything.

Grammar-Hake

Writing- WWS

Literature- Reader's Journey (maybe) I was thinking Lightening Literature but this goes along with history plus he has not read any of the books.  ETA:  Maybe neither now, lol.  

Math- MM6 or PreAlgebra

History- American

Science- Earth, elemental

Spelling- WTRT

Logic- Logic Liftoff (we never get to this but I am hopeful, lol)

ETA: Latin:Visual Latin

Does anyone have any idea of how much time they will spend on each of these subjects?  Total hours per day?  WHat time do you get started/finished.  I am feeling :willy_nilly: like this guy right now b/c when I list what I want to do......ugh! And I wouldn't do each every day or anything.

Grammar-Hake  MWF 20 minutes - the text is designed to be done 3 lessons per week to finish in a school year - we don't do all the review exercises (usually just the odds or just evens), and DS writes in the book, not a separate piece of paper

Spelling- WTRT  I'm not familiar with this acronym, so . . . alternate with grammar 2 (or 3) days per week for 20 minutes? or does your DC need this every day?

Writing- WWS  MTWU 45 minutes (any longer than 45 min. on writing is counterproductive for my DS)

Logic- Logic Liftoff (we never get to this but I am hopeful, lol)  F 30 minutes

Literature- Reader's Journey (maybe) I was thinking Lightening Literature but this goes along with history plus he has not read any of the books.   MTWUF 60 minutes?

Math- MM6 or PreAlgebra   MTWUF 45 minutes

History- American  TU 60 minutes (not sure what materials you're using or how much writing is involved)

Science- Earth, elemental MWF 45 minutes (depends on how much writing you do)

I'll take a stab at it, since we use a lot of the same curricula as you.  I added in some days and times to your list above as a starting point to give you an idea of what I expect from my DS. 

With your list of subjects:

Mon -  grammar, writing, lit, math, science - approx. 3.5 hours

Tues - spelling, writing, lit, math, history - approx. 4 hours

Wed - grammar, writing, lit, math, science - approx. 3.5 hours

Thurs -  spelling, writing, lit, math, history - approx. 4 hours

Fri - grammar, logic (or writing catch-up?), lit, math, science - approx. 3.5 hours

I expect my DS11 to spend around 5 hours per day on schoolwork for 6th grade, not including independent reading and hands-on science activities.  We do vocab instead of spelling, but the rest of your subjects are pretty much the same as ours.  Additionally, we do Spanish every day, and health, geography, and art/music appreciation each one day per week.  (Sometimes those once a week electives are covered by a documentary during lunch.)  Not saying you should add anything but just something to think about.

I haven't used Duke TIP Reader's Journey, but I gather it is pretty challenging and would probably overlap WWS1 quite a bit (esp. literary analysis) so you really want to watch for duplication and/or burnout if you use both at the same time.  Reader's Journey is a rich program, more than just literature.  IMO, Lightning Lit would be less workload for your DC than Reader's Journey, just depends on what you're looking for.

Hope that helps a little.

My 6th grade plans are in my signature.

I always wonder if I am doing enough. :/ I would love to do some writing program with her, but they always bring her to tears. I guess I'll just use the composition part in her abeka language. Not ideal, but better than nothing I guess.

I figure the schoolwork part - not counting independent reading - is about 5 hours a day.  

So - Math 1 hr, English 1 hr, History/Lit 1 hr, Science 1 hr, and then 1 hr for Logic, Spanish & Typing practice.

My goal for dd10 is to do 3 hours in the morning - 9-12ish, and then 2 hours in the pm, 1-3ish.  Then we can head outdoors for gardening, walking, going to  the river, the park, going hiking, etc. depending on the season & the weather. They both also want to learn to cook, and I'm going to have them help me with food preservation (canning & such) and this stuff all happens in the afternoons, too.

The idea is get the work done first, then the rest of the day is available for free time and/or outings.

I always wonder if I am doing enough. :/ I would love to do some writing program with her, but they always bring her to tears. I guess I'll just use the composition part in her abeka language. Not ideal, but better than nothing I guess.

OK, what's SWS 6?  From your signature, it looks like you're covering math, language arts and reading.  We've had years where all I required was math and English (I was actually going to let them do that again this fall).  *shrug*  When we do that, I make sure they have access to the library at least once a week...limit electronics...I tell mine to let me know if I need to buy them anything for a project, art project, etc and they do!  I even have an Independent Learning Log that they fill out once a week.  We listed all the books they read, documentaries we watched, museums visited (or the zoo, etc) and any projects they worked on.  I was surprised by how much they did on their own! 

Not sure if that's what you're going for, but sometimes less is more.

FWIW, the Abeka language composition assignments always brought my dd to tears when she was in school ;) lol

What about something like Apologia's 'Jump In!' or see if someone has a copy of IEW DVDs you can borrow? Even my reluctant writer has made peace with those programs ;)

OK, what's SWS 6? From your signature, it looks like you're covering math, language arts and reading. We've had years where all I required was math and English (I was actually going to let them do that again this fall). *shrug* When we do that, I make sure they have access to the library at least once a week...limit electronics...I tell mine to let me know if I need to buy them anything for a project, art project, etc and they do! I even have an Independent Learning Log that they fill out once a week. We listed all the books they read, documentaries we watched, museums visited (or the zoo, etc) and any projects they worked on. I was surprised by how much they did on their own!

Not sure if that's what you're going for, but sometimes less is more.

SWS is Soaring with spelling :)

Thanks for your encouraging post. Im really relaxed in my approach to schooling. We do history, science, and art together as well. I don't know why I always feel like I'm not doing enough. Maybe its just part of my personality. :p

FWIW, the Abeka language composition assignments always brought my dd to tears when she was in school ;) lol

What about something like Apologia's 'Jump In!' or see if someone has a copy of IEW DVDs you can borrow? Even my reluctant writer has made peace with those programs ;)

Oh no! Hope that does not happen with my dd. :/

I used Hake this last year, and it worked just okay. My other daughter is a natural writer. Just different gifts for each one. I have thought about Jump In, if Abeka doesn't work. Honestly, its been a crazy, stressful year for us (other issues, not schooling) so I was just trying to find an easy grammar/ writing program that would at least get done.:p

I can hope, right ? :)

SWS is Soaring with spelling :)

Thanks for your encouraging post. Im really relaxed in my approach to schooling. We do history, science, and art together as well. I don't know why I always feel like I'm not doing enough. Maybe its just part of my personality. :p

Oh!  I did not see the MFW at the bottom of your signature.  I'm sorry.  It looks just fine to me!  

I updated my post #71 and I'll take a stab at time based on the following organization:

I had the bindings cut off of the following:

Holt Skills Practice (coordinates with Elements of Language)

MCP Plaid Word Study

MCP Spelling Workout F

Evan Moor Daily Paragraph Editing 5

Evan Moor Read and Understand Poetry, Grades 5-6+ 

EMC Write-in Reader, Grade 6, Redwood Level 

CHOLL Guides and other guides

Evan Moor Daily Math Practice, Grade 6

World Geography and You, Book 2 Eastern Hemisphere

Conceptual Physical Science Practice Book

Story of Science: Aristotle Leads the Way Student Guide

I have already divided up the first semester into weeks and put each week into its own regular school folder with brads and pockets. This will cut down significantly on the number of things he must keep up with. He can put the folder, his current literature book, A Message of Ancient Days, PH Readings in Social Studies, and Conceptual Physical Science in his backpack if we leave the house.

I think Holt Elements of Language can be used as a reference book instead of daily and Write at Home is entirely online. Hopefully, he will complete the necessary reading in Aristotle Leads the Way one day each week and will not need it daily, so it will not need to leave the house every time we do. I am thinking about having him use Derek Owens for math. If so, I hope to print off the necessary materials and put them in the folders rather than adding another book. I am not sure what to do with Competition Math for Middle School. Maybe we just won't use it. Maybe I should purchase something like Zaccaro's Becoming a Problem Solving Genius that has definite lessons and pages large enough that the spine can be cut off and the sheets put in the folder.

Anyway, this will keep him down to a folder and 4 or 5 books daily. I think that the number of books and manuals involved with Calvert looks more overwhelming than necessary for what needs to be completed each day, but this looks comfortable. I hope it works for my little guy. As far as time, I will throw out some ideal numbers, but days with a prepubescent man-child can often be less than ideal.

Language Art excluding composition and literature: 1 hour

Composition: about .5 hour sometimes less and sometimes more

Literature: .5 hour at least

Math: 1.5 hours

Social Studies (history, history readings, geography): no more than .75 hour

Science (physical science, Aristotle Leads the Way): no more than .75 hour

Arts including instrument practice: 1.5 hours at least

It looks like it will take 6.5 hours.

I would love to add foreign language and logic, but I think that would lead to a burnt out grouchy kid. 

HTH-

Mandy

My Plans, so far:

Math- Saxon 7/6 for dd and Saxon 8/7 for DS

Latin- Latin Alive

Grammar/Writing- Hake 6

Vocabulary- Wordly Wise 3000 book 6

Spelling- Spelling Workout F

Bible- Who is God

Editing/Copywork- Evan Moor Paragraph Editing 6

Science- Sonlight E (electricity and magnetism)

History/Literature- TOG Upper Grammar Yr 2

Logic- Critical Thinking Book 1

We're new to TOG and Sonlight. 

Here's what has made it into the official planner:

Math*: Singapore 5, LOF Decimals/Percents

Latin*: finish LL2, then either Henle (which we already have) or GP's LP3 or SYRWTLL

Science*: ES Biology supplemented with CPO Life for additional reading/outlining

Greek*: Athenaze 1 (we're doing this together), will probably do Lukeion's course in Jan 2014

History: FMoMA, continue with KHE, hopefully add in OUP's Middle Ages series

Writing*: finish Aesop B (got a little behind here), start Homer A

Spelling*: AAS

Lit*: MP's Treasure Island, then ??

Reading*: still making out a list

Memory*: MP's Horatius at the Bridge, continue w/other works

Logic: finish Logic Lift Off, then ? (possibly AoA ?? Is this more secular?)

* denotes daily subjects, the rest are done once a week. Some daily subjects don't take long at all.

Extras: TKD, swimming, hopefully piano and fencing (finances depending).

Edit: I really should know better than to make long posts from my phone.

I won't know some of the specifics until I see what we can check out of the Charter school library in August. She wants to use ALL her charter school funds on Ballet and gymnastics lessons so I hope the library has what I want! Here's what I have so far:

Math: ? math text? she does not like spiral/lots of review, Finish TT6 if she doesn't get it done this summer (she doesn't like the amount of review in this, math journal http://www.mathsquad.com/mathjournal.html, this book may help with the journal: Exploring the World of Mathematics http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0890514127/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Writing: IEW SWI B, Killgallon grammar for middle school sentence composing.

English: ?vocab word roots?, ?grammar?, sequential spelling, figuratively speaking

Earth Science:  Exploring creation with astronomy (quick read for the first month), ?PH focus on earth science?

Ancient History: K12 Human Odyssey 1 WTM style, Kingfisher Encyclopedia of the Ancient world (oop but is organized by cultures like the HO book), Knowledge Quest blackline maps. I would love to add in history pockets and Famous figures of ancient times but we'll see how far our funds go.

French: Mango and ???

Geography: Unit study in place of Ancient History for part of December using Around the world in 80Day (still need to create this one!)

Home Economics: sewing (minimal since she is too impatient for much sewing), cooking, babysitting class (first aid)

Ballet and gymnastics lessons.

She has BIG plans for our garden and landscaping. I mean, BIG. :sneaky2: She has a notebook with lists full of indigenous-Texas plants, their toxicity to dogs (LOL - we have 3 dogs) and what kind of care they need (shade/full sun, etc). LOL.

OOOOH! Do you know about Texas Wildscapes? I highly recommend the book and the site. Also, you probably know this already, but native nurseries frequently have speakers. Among other notable folks, Howard Garrett came to one of ours!

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/wildlife_diversity/wildscapes/

OOOOH! Do you know about Texas Wildscapes? I highly recommend the book and the site. Also, you probably know this already, but native nurseries frequently have speakers. Among other notable folks, Howard Garrett came to one of ours!

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/wildlife_diversity/wildscapes/

Thank-you!  We have a parks pass, so we're always on the fishing part of that website.   :tongue_smilie:   I didn't see the Wildscapes program.  I tried to see if she could volunteer somewhere like the botanical garden, but she's not old enough.  She's going to join 4H this fall and see if they have a botany club.  

Bible: read Bible daily, Fighter Verses APP for memory

Marh: finish Singapore 6B, start Dolciani Prealgebra and some AoPS Prealgebra

English: R&S English 6 for grammar, finish WWS 1, then some Jump In and some WWS 2

Sadlier-Oxford Vocabulary Workshop B

Science: Apologia Human Anatomy and Physiology

History and geography: TOG 1 and Sonlight F readers and read aloud (over half way done with SL

F now)

Foreign languages: Singapore Chinese 3, finish Lively Latin 2 then Latin Prep 2? Easy Spanish Step by Step

Logic: fallacy Detective

Music: piano with dad

Art: drawing at our homeschool co-op

PE: ?

Ds wants to learn Greek. I am interested in starting with the code cracker book. Do you have it for sale?

No, it's consumable.  In fact, I'm going to buy a second one for my son (who's going to try Greek).  It's a workbook where they practice the Greek letters and sounds.  They have to solve puzzles using the Greek alphabet.  It's sold on Amazon, christianbook.com and I'm sure Rainbow Resource has it.  It seemed like it was cheaper on christianbook.com than it was on Amazon (but then you have to pay shipping on cc.com).

Here's the website for the book:  www.classicalacademicpress.com   

Here it is on Amazon:  http://www.amazon.com/Greek-Alphabet-Cracker-Christopher-Perrin/dp/1600510353/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373622171&sr=8-1&keywords=greek+code+cracker

Hi, I'm new here. This is our first year homeschooling, and I am feeling very overwhelmed with figuring out curriculum and schedule. So far this is what I have.

*Math- LOF Fractions and Decimals & Pre-Algebra (if we get there)/ Khan Academy

Science- BFSU/ Janice Van Cleave Biology Experiments/ Story of Science: Aristotle/ Usborne's Encyclopedia of Science and Illustrated Dictionary of Science for references

Nature Study: The Handbook of Nature Study (Trees, ?, Amphibions?)/ Story Book of Science

*Spelling: Sequential Spelling

?Vocab: Wordly Wise?

*English: Analytical Grammar/ Beyond the Book Report

*Literature: Age of Fable/ The Lost World/ Kidnapped/ The Incredible Journey/ Legend of Sleepy Hollow/ Rip Van Winkle/ Paul Revere's Ride

Shakespeare: Midsummer Night's Dream/ Tempest

*Poetry: Tennyson, Dickson, Wordsworth

*Copy work

History: Kingfisher spine/ Oup Ancient World/ Voyages Through Time series/ Augustus Ceasar's World?/ Story of the Greeks and Story of the Romans?

*Foreign Language: Spanish (tutor)

*Music: flute- orchestra

Art and Composer Studies: AO schedule

PE: Cross Country or Soccer... We're still in debate.

I know it looks like a lot, but it should come out to about 5ish hours per day. The * annotates daily work.

~ Bets

Our 6th grade plans are mostly complete.  I just need to finish my tentative corresponding history reading.  I won't know how Spanish/Latin will shake down until we give it a go.  We have about 2/3 of the BBLL to finish.

Math - Saxon Algebra 1/2

Writing - WWS2

Grammar- R&S 6

Spelling- SWO H 

Literature- (see History)

Science- Earth Science/Astronomy - Tarbucks' Earth Science 13th Ed. plus Applications and Investigations in Earth Science

History - OUP Middle Ages - Still tinkering with the corresponding reading list.  I'll update with it later.

Foreign Language- So You Really Want to Learn Spanish 1; The Big Book of Lively Latin 1 (finish).  Not sure how this will shake down yet in the schedule.

Logic - Critical Thinking Books 1 & 2

Typing - Mavis Beacon (he's doing 20 min/day all summer, so this should be pretty light by the time school starts)

Music - Piano

PE - Homeschool PE and hiking

I think I've finalized our 6th grade plans.

History/Lit/Geography - TOG Year 3 with co-op

Math - Singapore 5B/6A

Grammar - Analytical Grammar

Writing - WWS (finish first 8 weeks before co-op starts) and then writing class at co-op, then more WWS

Science - electricity, extreme environments, diversity of life (at co-op)

Music Theory - once a week class

French - at co-op and also at home (Rosetta Stone)

Cello - private lessons, small group, technique class, youth symphony, possible quintet

PE - Taekwon-do, etc.

Grammar: R&S English 6

Spelling: R&S 6

Writing: finish up Jump In and start something...maybe WWS?

Lit: MP guides for Anne of Green Gables, The Bronze Bow, The Hobbit, and Treasure Island

History: Famous Men of Greece (classical studies), The Story of the 13 Colonies/200 Q's about American History (modern studies)

Classical Lit: Horatius at the Bridge, The Trojan War

Geography: MP Europe, North Africa & Middle East

Bible: Christian Studies II

Latin: Second Form Latin

Math: Not .A. Clue. We are in a holding pattern right now while she works on being accurate and not making careless mistakes. I am not sure if she has actually learned any new material during the last calendar year :banghead: . At some point we will get off this merry-go-round and begin pre-algebra. I would love to continue with LOF since it is a good match for her, but the temptation to just copy the worked solutions for each lesson and not do the work is too great for her, so I have to find something else. Self-teaching does not work for this child (because all the self-teaching programs have the answers right there!!!), so I have to keep looking for a pre-algebra curriculum that teaches to a high level of capability but assumes a low level of maturity. So far I have had no luck.

Science: more panic! :willy_nilly: I have no idea yet.

Logic: Ummm...I remember looking at something when I was planning 5th grade and thinking that it would be perfect for 6th grade...I wonder what it was. :confused:

Art: Something off my shelves. I have bought numerous art curriculums and never started them. 6th grade is old enough to teach herself art from a book, right? At least with art she will actually get somewhere by copying out of the book, lol! :lol:

Music: Piano lessons and choir!

That was the original plan; here is what I have finally settled on (and bought, so it is final, lol):

Grammar: R&S English 6

Spelling: R&S 6

Writing: Blackbird & Co Intro to Composition: Essay

Lit: The Trojan War (w/MP guide), Anne of Green Gables (with book notes)...I haven't chosen the books for the rest of the year yet, that will just get us started

History: Famous Men of Greece (w/MP guide), Horatius at the Bridge (w/MP guide), read and outline from the National Geographic Almanac of American History

Bible: MP Christian Studies II

Latin: Second Form Latin

Math: Jousting Armadillos followed by AOPS pre-algebra; possibly an Elements of Mathematics class online

Science: Prentice Hall Science Explorers Discoveries in Life, Earth, and Physical Science with further readings on selected topics (we are not covering the whole book)

Logic: The Thinking Toolbox

Art: She took an art class this summer; if she wants to do more art she can choose one of the books off the shelf and do it on her own.

Music: Piano lessons and choir!

I'm happy to hear this. I bought two of them for my oldest two to work on. How much time did your Dd spend on it?

Sorry, I didn't see this.  The workbook section has about 70-75 pages to it, so you could finish it in about a month (if you worked on it every day).  My daughter was doing this on her own, so I'm not sure how long she spent on each page.  She actually did need help a few times and that's when I decided that we should probably all just do Greek together.  I'm looking at buying Elementary Greek in August.

I haven't posted yet in this thread. I find I do better (aka 'spend less money') when I don't frequent the boards while planning. :D

And for the first time in 7 years of homeschooling, I'm going to go with a mostly boxed curriculum--HOD RTR, but 'Orthodoxized.' :)

More importantly than the curriculum this year is some particular skills that I'm going to work side by side with dd on.

1. Neatness to reduce errors in math and typos in writing.

2. Logical and systematic thinking in math, Latin, and logic to prepare for Algebra and upper level work.

3. Doing careful work, using HOD's notebooking and dictation and a commonplace book, to combat her typically rushed, 'get-er-done' mentality.

*Math: Singapore 6 with LOF Decimals, LOF Pre-Alg I, HOE

*Latin: Latin for the New Millennium, plus continuing VL 2 and Lingua Latina

*Greek: EG I

Logic: Prufrock Press books, logic problems from OTC mags, possibly AofA or Fallacy Detective

Fine Arts: Harmony Fine Arts 6 w/ Draw Squad

History: HOD RTR (medieval) w/ Shakespeare

*Reading: RTR Extensions + WTM 6th Formal Reading list (she is a voracious reader)

Lit: DITHR with my own titles

Grammar: R&S 5

Spelling and Cursive: Studied Dictation

Writing: Medieval History Based Writing Lessons (IEW)-not an IEW fan, so we'll see...

Science: HOD Science (Apologia Astronomy-modified for OE, A Child's Geog: Vol. 1, Exploring Planet Earth, etc.)

Bible: some of HOD, family morning prayers and scripture reading, The Incarnate God

Music: flute, piano

Extras she does for fun: Keepers of the Faith for handicrafts and personal enrichment, typing, CNN Student News

*subjects done 5xs/wk

HOD is a four day plan, so our fifth day will only be our homeschool band day + LOF/HOE, Latin, Greek, and art. I'm estimating it will take 5.5 hours a day...

Grammar-Hake

Writing- WWS

Literature- Reader's Journey (maybe) I was thinking Lightening Literature but this goes along with history plus he has not read any of the books.  ETA:  Maybe neither now, lol.  

Math- MM6 or PreAlgebra

History- American

Science- Earth, elemental

Spelling- WTRT

Logic- Logic Liftoff (we never get to this but I am hopeful, lol)

ETA: Latin:Visual Latin

My ds wants to take a Coursera class on Astronomy; we did Astronomy last year and he is *really* into it so I am going to let him start the year with that and then do earth science with Elemental.  It is only a month.  *sigh*

I am also taking the Stanford "How to Learn Math" and I wonder if that is going to change some things I do.  Currently my ds *hates* math but always scores very high so it is irritating/confusing.  

ETA- thank you all for answering how long it takes.  Guess we are moving up to a full "school day".  At least we do not have homework.