Menu

nm

Guest inoubliable

Do you put "price is firm" or something similar in your post? I always list that and have had good luck with selling my stuff at asking price (and I price things low-reasonable). I've seen other listings where people flat out say "my price is fair, don't email me asking for a lower price because I will not accept it."

Hi Keeper,

Can I argue the other side for a moment? I'm not saying you're doing this, but I look on Craig's List regularly and can't believe what people are trying to charge $250 for or whatever. Occasionally I'll see good deals, but daily I see junk that is way overpriced.

I don't think I offer pennies on the dollar, but I have offered half of what someone is asking. But, of course, I wouldn't dream of cussing anyone out. That's ridiculous.

Just the other evening we drove over to someone's home to look at bar stools that needed paint and a new cushion -- both things I could do. And she was asking a fair price. We drive out to her beautiful home and the bar stools are children size bar stools. Not meant for an adult. But you couldn't tell that from the picture.

I didn't meet with her, but I wanted to email later and ask her, "What was the point of not being clear about how small the chairs are?? Did you think I'd drive to your house and realize that smaller chairs would be fine??"

But I didn't.

Sorry I'm venting. I'm sure you don't do things like that. You might put in your ad that you're firm on the price. When I see that I don't bother wasting anyone's time.

Alley

I sell a lot on craigslist (b/c I'm a ruthless junk purger). I don't mind if someone emails me a lowball offer (I would mind a harassing response after I decline!) However, what really gets my goat is when we arrange a meeting to exchange the item and then they try and lowball me in person! Or, they say something like "I know the price was $20, would you take $15 cause that's all the cash I have on me."

Um...seriously? I assume that once we are meeting, the price is solid. All negotiating should be done before a purchase agreement. I have no problem pointing them in the direction of the nearest ATM...

I sold a number of items on Craigslist last summer. We were moving, and I wanted the items GONE, so the asking prices were extremely low to begin with.

I sold a Compost Tumbler for 1/3 below the asking price ($60 asked, $40 paid).

I sold a large metal drafting table with accessories for $100 (full asking price).

Shocker -- I sold a beautiful Ethan Allen golden oak bedroom set, 20 years old but in excellent condition, for $300. We were asking $500 for it, and we got no other offers. The buyer definitely got a bargain.

I sold a NordicTrack exercise bike for $100 (full asking price).

It surprised us greatly which items were in demand and which were not. The exercise bike sold immediately with many people interested. The other items sold after several weeks of being on Craigslist.

I really think it's a buyer's market out there. There's too much stuff available and not enough people who want it.

Do you put "price is firm" or something similar in your post? I always list that and have had good luck with selling my stuff at asking price (and I price things low-reasonable). I've seen other listings where people flat out say "my price is fair, don't email me asking for a lower price because I will not accept it."

:iagree:

How about "Ridiculous offers will be ignored.".

I hear you. I was recently trying to sell my daughters iPods on Craigslist. My ad was clear that I was selling the iPods because my daughters were saving for their own iPads. This lady was DETERMINED that she was going to convince me to trade both of my iPods for a 'slightly scratched Pink Canon Powershot camera'. Her argument was that she paid $600 for it, so it was worth the trade. No. It's only worth it if I can use a pink scratched up camera or if I can resell it for the same as I could resell the iPod's. She was trying her hardest to convince me that I could sell it for $350. She wouldn't drop it so finally I said, "If the camera is worth $350, then why don't you just sell the camera?" Her reply, "You don't have to be a ^*#&% about it. I was just offering you a good deal!"

-head desk-

I've only had a few people try doing that over the years. (one woman tried to lowball me twice after getting to my house - you're welcome to leave without the item honey. I should have asked more. I think I might even do that the next time someone lowballs me - quote them an even higher price.) I sold both items for my full asking price. I also once purchased an item from a guy who kept getting people trying to low-ball him. I knew the value of his item and it was a run don't walk at his price. so, I know it happens even when priced appropriately. one reason people low-ball is because some people will cave. (or I 'only have _ money with me, will you take less? no, next . . . . ) or they really really want the item, but simply can't afford it. (go save your money until you can.)

I agree a 'price is firm' message should be helpful.

otoh: I've seen some pretty outrageous prices for things, even at garage sales. I once went to a garage sale for packrats and the woman had stacks of crochet booklets with a cover price of 15 cents. she wanted 2 DOLLARS for *each one* becasue that's how much sticker prices were for new ones in the store. "well grandma - I don't have to buy them from you. good luck finding a seller". I've also seen way overpriced items on craigslist. - a couple different items that were both there at least four MONTHS. get a clue guy.

just be firm, state price is firm, block lowballers.

Even freecycle is ridiculous. People ask you 100,000 questions. They ask you if you can drop stuff off. They tell you they will be there then don't show up then a week later ask if you still have it and then try again and then still don't show up. GAH!

Sadly, I sometimes just throw stuff away because I don't have the energy to deal with all of that.

It got to the point with freecycle that I was really rude in my posts, stating things like, "I keep a list of all no-shows. If you arrange a pick-up time and do not show up, you WILL go on that list so don't bother contacting me again. This is freecycle. You are getting crap for free. Don't complain about the condition it is in. No, I will not eat up gas money delivering a FREE item to your house. If you can't arrange p/u, you must not want it that badly. I leave all items on the porch shortly before the designated pick-up time. Please DO NOT send me an e-mail with only the words, 'Is this item still available?' I don't have time to answer 50 of those e-mails each day. I will only respond if you include a pick-up date and time. The first person who can get here for the item gets it. If they no-show, I go down my list. DO NOT, under any circumstances, ring my doorbell hours before your chosen pick-up time because you're "in the neighborhood." I leave all items on the porch for safety reasons. I'm not interested in meeting random strangers off freecycle."

It was seriously to the point where the same people would always jump on my items no matter what they were (I think they would turn around and sell them) and half the time they wouldn't show up, or they'd send me 5,000 e-mails full of questions and then decide they didn't want the item. It's fricken' FREEcycle! Claim the item and then if you decide it's not really what you want, turn around and relist it. Don't waste my time. Geesh!

I haven't done freecycle in years. I've moved to Craigslist. People are marginally more responsible when they're paying money for an item. Knock on wood, all of my Craigslist sales and purchases have been good. I've had a couple of shrewd old ladies try and change the deal on me when we get to a meeting place, but I learned early-on not to cave. I have no problem walking away from a deal.

the bar stools are children size bar stools. Not meant for an adult.

I always ask for measurements. amazing how many people don't include them, and act bothered when you ask.

I usually put "$xx OBO" and a link to the item on Amazon or something similar to show the price was when new. I'm asking about 1/3 of what Amazon would ask for the item brand new.

he offered "$0.75".

that sort of offer doesn't deserve a response. I would recommened you ignore those in future.

I never link to amazon. I *might* list the average new price as a comparision, but ONLY for an expensive item. too many people want brand new, never used quality for "pennies on the dollar" price. including retail information seems to encourage the lowballers.

I have no problem pointing them in the direction of the nearest ATM...

I was selling my mother's car. the guy thought he'd come back AFTER looking at it, later that afternoon when his son was out of school as the car was for him. Nope - next on the list. I did deign to hold it for him (as in I didn't call the next person) for the 20 minutes it took to go get the cash. I had so much interest in that car, I should have asked more.

I tend not to sell anything. It's not worth it. We once sold a complete computer system for $25. The woman called my husband about 20 times (at crazy hours of the day and night) to ask him how to set stuff up. He did help her, but it was really getting to the point where I was afraid to answer the phone. .
THAT'S why she kept calling - he was answering her questions and helping her. It was nice of him to help (and was beyond duty), but did he point out to her the crazy hours she was calling and what a better time to call would be?

people also need to remember a buyer isn't obligated to purchase an item, not even on freecycle. sometimes you need to print out the ad as I had one guy who RAISED the price $150 after I left my house. uh, no. you said __, that's what I"ll pay.