Menu

If grilled chicken is a staple in your meal planning

Seasider

How do you prepare it when the weather isn't good for grilling?

The kids don't like it baked. Well, once in a while they wouldn't complain, but they definitely let me know how they feel about it. Maybe I just need a new technique...

I grill meat as much as I can, as opposed to other cooking methods. But if it's cold/raining/out of fuel, my grilling plans get sidetracked. I do have a very small George Foreman grill that I use for a quick item to toss in a salad, but it's not large enough to efficiently cook up a family sized batch of anything.

Please let me know what you do with your not-grilled chicken. I'm trying to keep it low carb (but not truly for a strict Atkins type plan; it's more just a preference).

Thanks!

I saute chicken tenders or cut chunks of chicken breast. I heat a couple of tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet on medium to medium-high heat and add the chicken. I use Lawry's garlic salt to season it and saute on one side until it's starting to brown. I turn over and season the other side and do the same. I actually like it better than grilled because it's moister.

I have a grill pan, but I find that pan sauté works best to get a good sear and colour on the chicken. I, personally, do not like chicken, but I will eat it grilled or pan sautéed if it is marinated or seasoned very well (so it doesn't taste so chicken-y).

You can grill when it's cold out. We grill year-round in New England. It's harder when it's raining or snowing, but just being cold shouldn't stop you.

:iagree:

DH has been known to be out grilling at -10F or in a snowstorm. Rain? No problem!

He does draw the line at windstorms strong enough to blow the grill down the driveway.

I pan sauté chicken breasts, and always use Drew's dressings ( http://www.chefdrew.com) as a marinade after the chicken is slightly seared/browned. Just pour it on and then turn the chicken every few minutes, ladeling the marinade back over the top. Our favorite marinades for chicken are the Rosemary Balsamic and Honey Dijon. Makes the chicken very tender and flavorful.

Well, I grill it anyway? LOL I don't like the broiler, so if I want grilled chicken, I'll do it unless it's a blizzard.

I really try, but sometimes it's just too windy to get the grill to heat evenly. DH tells me the grill itself needs work, so I will encourage him to get to it! I do wish we had a covered outdoor area, that would help, I would grill in the rain. We have a great outdoor area but no part of it is roofed.