Menu

How toddler-proof do you make your house for visitors?

Laura Corin

128 members have voted

1. 1. How toddler-proof should the house be for guests?

• Free rein - completely toddler-proof?
    • Adult supervision required at all times?
    • One area completely toddler-proof, the rest supervised?
    • Other

I think we may have different definitions of "toddler proofing". I mean that I put breakables out of reach, block the stairs, and keep dangerous items out of reach. I don't have locks on the cabinets or outlet plugs anymore.This enables my guest to spend more time visiting me and less time pulling her child away from something. I also bring out special toys I've saved for times like this.

Our stairs are not blockable without using a drill. We did when we had babies but took out the bolts etc. once our kids were older. I'm not going to do that for a visitor. Toddlers need to be supervised.

In this house, it's easy to block the stairs with a card table on it's side. In my last house, I wouldn't have been able to. Yes, they need to be supervised. I just like to make it as relaxing as possible for my company. Makes it more relaxing for me too.

I don't expect others to toddler proof their houses. At all. I was always frustrated/ surprised by the looks of surprise and annoyance my kids would get as toddlers. I was told many times that I needed to "be more consistent about teaching them" or "teach the kids to not touch things" or "kids need boundaries" as my kids were super incredibly into everything. Turns out 2 of my kids have adhd (lack of impulse control anyone?) and the third has high functioning autism. I just started declining invites, suggested going to a park, or invited to my house. I got tired of being tired and sweaty just to have a playdate at someone's house. Now, houses that I know are toddler proof, it's totally game on! My mom has multiple gates and a playroom and we stay with her no problem. My il's have an unscreened fireplace and light huge bonfires in it and consider a baby gate to be a table put on its side (my kids could just knock them over, lol.)

I don't do any toddler-proofing except to put the phone out of reach and make sure there are no knives or anything OBVIOUSLY dangerous to a child laying around. I don't have a lot of glass nick-knacks or anything, but I also don't have outlet covers, door locks or baby gates. I do have nice things that I simply don't want grimy kid hands all over; I don't want a child banging on my glass front door or big-screen tv, jumping on my furniture, snatching and grabbing at my animals etc. and I expect a parental figure to make sure those things don't happen. It's just common courtesy. When my own son was a toddler we had tablecloths, a big-screen tv, glass items, animals etc. and he was taught to respect and not to touch certain things. He went to MIL's house who has dozens of very expensive porcelain dolls, depression glass, china etc. She NEVER locked them away or anything; he was simply taught what he could touch gently and what he wasn't allowed to touch at all. It often doesn't even occur to me that other parents don't do the same. I even had a daycare in my home when DS was little and taught those kids the same things. When a kid comes into my house I expect that either the child will know what is and isn't allowed to be touched (or will at least obey when told "no") or the parent(s) will watch them and keep them from getting into trouble. My nephew came to visit for Christmas yesterday and, unfortunately, his mother hasn't taught him respect for property or how to be told "no" and she doesn't watch him at all when he's here. He's all over the place, grabs things, screams and throws a colossal tantrum while writhing on the floor if you tell him "no" and I end up spending my entire day parenting him. It makes things so very stressful and frustrating. It was so awful that the rest of my guests left about 30 min. after they arrived. No one could talk over the kid's screaming and people were constantly being rammed into by the "bull in a china shop" kid whose mother wouldn't control him.

On the other hand, my niece was in my house on Christmas Eve and she was well-behaved and her parents watched her every second. We were able to sit and talk just fine because she wasn't into everything.

We also aren't a hotel so we don't ever have people sleep over. DS's friends occasionally, yes, but not adult family or friends with or without kids.

I think we may have different definitions of "toddler proofing". I mean that I put breakables out of reach, block the stairs, and keep dangerous items out of reach. I don't have locks on the cabinets or outlet plugs anymore.This enables my guest to spend more time visiting me and less time pulling her child away from something. I also bring out special toys I've saved for times like this.

I agree with this. When I say "babyproofing", I mean that it is comfortable for parents and toddlers to be at my house. It is very stressful to spend a weekend at my IL's. There are breakables everywhere. The house is small and full. The entire visit is "No. No. Noooo." My parents' house is not, and has never been, "babyproofed". Mom has antiques, but they are not at toddler height. They have a toy area. They have room to move. I still have to keep an eye on the kids just like I do at home, but it isn't stressful to be there. I don't think anyone means that you should be able to let a little one loose with no supervision. Kids need to be watched regardless, but you can make it easier for the parent to sit and chat if the room or level that you are on is kid friendly. My kids have been taught from a young age to leave things be that are none of their business, but I still appreciate zones that are child friendly.

I agree with this. When I say "babyproofing", I mean that it is comfortable for parents and toddlers to be at my house. It is very stressful to spend a weekend at my IL's. There are breakables everywhere. The house is small and full. The entire visit is "No. No. Noooo."

Oh this, 1000 times. I have one just younger than and one just past the wanting to touch everything stage. My children do listen (reasonably well), but it's exhausting for them and frustrating for me to spend the entire time saying "No, don't touch that. No, not that either." Good heavens, I do nothing BUT mind my small children. It makes me twitchy to have them out of my sight.

I also hold that terribly modern idea that children are generally small people who deserve some respect like any other person. I would be bored senseless sitting somewhere with no one to talk to and nothing to do while everyone else I know is too busy to have anything to do with me. While my children and I both need to suck it up and deal with those situations on occasion, I try not to put any of us in that position regularly. In my own home, a little person is just as much of a guest as the big people. I wouldn't rearrange my entire house for any guest, large or small, but I would want anyone in my home to be generally comfortable - both a young guest and the parent. If you don't want my children visiting you, of course feel free to say so and spare all of us an unpleasant experience.

These are just musings on my opinion in general. They aren't in response to anyone here and are directed more at my own experience than anything anyone here has said.

I consider toddler-proofing to be part of being a good hostess. I cannot toddler-proof the entire house, it's too much since we no longer have little ones. However, I remove dangerous things throughout the whole house (break-ables, medication, chemicals/cleaners) and I designate a few rooms that are toddler proof. I try to also bring in toys from storage that would be appropriate for the age of the child visiting and have snack food (nothing huge, cheese sticks, capri-sun, cheerios, etc) available. It means that I'm more likely to have a nice visit with the parents if the kids are happily distracted. :) lol

I have regular homeschool groups at my house, and some of the families have babies/toddlers. I try to keep the back deck and living room, where we do the actual classes, reasonably toddler-safe, and I have some of DD's duplos, fisher-price, and other toys available, but since DD's focus interests are Legos and animal habitats, it's pretty much impossible to insure that there won't be little plastic bricks or small figures of frogs and turtles lying in wait to choke an unsuspecting toddler. I do my best to try to let the moms at least be able to relax and chat and drink coffee while their little ones are with them, but it terrifies me when I'm in the midst of teaching Latin and see a 2 yr old little brother wander into the Lego room (which the official floor plan calls a dining room, and is open to both the kitchen and living room) without a parent following.

I'm another that didn't toddler proof my house (although I did buy plastic stuff for the bottom third of the Christmas tree so dd would be able to enjoy them) when dd was a toddler. I think kids need to be kept under watch and redirected as necessary. A toddler with free reign is a dangerous situation waiting to happen.

My 18 month old goes anywhere he wants except the stairs, where he has to have a guardian to prevent falls. However I have been accused of having sonar hearing, so I can hear when he is getting into something and then I or someone is directed to investigate. Usually it's painting himself with markers.

So, they came and it went really well. Thanks to all for your input.

I moved anything obviously breakable or sharp out of the little boy's way, moved the fragile decorations further up the tree, made their room as toddler-proof as I could (putting the bathroom bin and toilet brush out of reach, for example) and then waited to see what would happen. I also did some pretty serious cleaning so that there were no surprise objects for him to put in his mouth.

The parents were brilliant; the little boy was a sweetie. We had to make sure not to leave phones/ipods around, and he would make for the stairs any time he could, but the parents were well on top of things. I think it was pretty relaxing for all of us: we informally took turns diverting the little guy from the stairs and he had a great time hugging the dog and licking the windows.

Laura

I guess it depends on what you mean by 'toddler proof'. I keep breakables out of reach, chemicals moved, that sort of thing. Beyond that, *I* don't toddler proof my house, I teach my kids not to get into things, that way, we go somewhere that isn't 'toddler proofed', and they understand 'don't touch' and steer clear of things. Basically, dangerous/irreplacable = moved. I would *not* go out, get kid locks, etc.
Listen, I don't even toddler proof my own house. We try to house proof our toddlers instead. No locks on cabinets. We have an open stand that holds CDs. Bookshelves with books on the lowest levels. Christmas tree with ornaments. Electric sockets without covers. We don't expect other parents to share our philosophy...but we're not going to radically change our house for a visitor. If a parent feels their kid is too wild to take to a person's house, they should politely decline the invitation.

I agree with both of these. I never babyproofed or toddler proofed. I mean, dangerous chemicals were put away, breakables were kept a little higher, but I never had outlet covers, cabinet locks, and never used the baby gate- except to keep the dogs in or out. Of course, I was lucky to have a child that listened really well (oh, how things change...).

When I have friends with young children over, I generally shut bedroom and bathroom doors, and take a look around to make sure breakables are up. I want my guests to enjoy their visit, but I also expect that someone will keep an eye on the children. But the only visitor we have with a toddler is my best friend, and I'm as likely to be keeping an eye on the kids (including the toddler) as she is. When we're together, we don't make a distinction between which kid belongs to who. This counts for feeding, discipline, etc.

(And anyways, right now, my house is probably safer than it's ever been. I have a 6 month old lab puppy who wants to eat EVERYTHING!!)