Menu

Book a Week in 2012 - Week 52 Wrap up

Robin M

I've started Wolf Hall. I'm on a bit of a time crunch reading it as it's on a waitlist at the library, so I can't renew it. I picked it up right at the beginning of the holidays & didn't get a chance to start it until now. Unfortunately, it is due in a few days; maybe I can read the whole thing in time....

So far, I'm enjoying it.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This wasn't my most productive reading year, but it was still fun to participate and follow along with you! Thanks for helping me fill my to-read list and the wonderful discussions. :). Here is my wrap-up:

1) How many books did you read this year?

2) Did you meet or beat your own personal goal?

No. My goal was 100 books (ha). I was exceptionally busy this year, something that needs to be remedied next year.

3) Favorite book of 2012? Yes, you can list more than one and even break it down by genre if you choose.

My favorites are starred in my list below.

4) Least favorite book of 2012 and why?

The Casual Vacancy. No likeable characters, predictable, and unnecessarily crass.

5) One book you thought you'd never read and was pleasantly surprised you like it?

Her Fearful Symmetry. It sounded to out-there for my taste, but then a friend loaned it to me and I ended up liking it.

6) One book you thought you'd love but didn't?

Reached by Ally Condie

7) One book that touched you - made you laugh, cry, sing or dance.

A Fault in Our Stars made me weep. Les Mis made my soul sing.

8) Any new to you authors discovered and you can't wait to read more of their stories?

Veronica Roth, Colin Meloy, John Green, Cathrynne Valente

9) Name the longest book you read? Shortest?

Longest was Les Mis, unabridged at 1463 pages (whew!). That was quite an feat.

10) Name the most unputdownable book you read?

Divergent kept me up until 4am.

11) Book that had the greatest impact on you this year?

Les Mis (saw the play this year too), Elizabeth I

12) What book would you recommend everybody read?

The Hobbit!

13) Share your most favorite cover(s)

I might try this later...

14) Do you have a character you fell in love with?

Jean Valjean, Gavroche, September, Four

15) What was your most favorite part of the challenge? Did you do any of the mini challenges?

I didn't do any minis, but I'm going to next year!

16) What are your goals for the new year? To read more non fiction? To dip your toes into a mystery or a urban fantasy or horror or romance? What book are you most looking forward to reading?

Next year my goals are to read some Russian authors, several ancient history/mythology books, and read at least 26 books that I already own.

My complete list:

40. The Silver Chair by C.S. Lewis

39. The Hobbit by Tolkien*

38. Les Miserables by Victor Hugo*

37. Wildwood by Colin Meloy

36. Delirium by Lauren Oliver

35. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green*

34. Reached by Ally Condie

33. Matched by Ally Condie

32. Tales of Ancient Egypt by Roger Lancelyn Green

31. The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There by Catherynne Valente*

30. Insurgent by Veronica Roth

29. The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman*

28. Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert O'Brien*

27. Divergent by Veronica Roth*

26. The Chosen by Chaim Potok

25. The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling

24. Guiding Readers and Writers, Grades 3-6 by Fountas and Pinnell*

23. Fresh Takes on Teaching Literary Elements by Jeffrey Willhelm

22. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

21. Why Don't Students Like School? by Daniel Willingham

20. Improving Comprehension With Think-Aloud Strategies by Jeffrey Willhelm

19. The First Days of School by Harry Wong

18. Mechanically Inclined by Jeff Anderson

17. The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom

16. Elizabeth I by Margaret George*

15. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl

14. Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick

13. The Twenty-One Balloons by William Pene Du Bois

12. The Wanderings of Odysseus by Rosemary Sutcliff

11. Marva Collins' Way by Marva Collins

10. Rex Barks by Phyllis Davenport

9. Climbing Parnassus by Tracy Lee Simmons

8. The Trumpet of the Swan by E.B. White

7. Homer Price by Robert McCloskey

6. Elizabeth and Mary: Cousins, Rivals, Queens by Jane Dunn*

5. Her Fearful Symetry by Audrey Niffenegger

4. Crossed by Ally Condie

3. The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon*

2. The Book That Made Your World by Vishal Mangalwadi

1. The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett

Two more to wrap up the year:

#59 The Nine Tailors by Dorothy Sayers - Not an easy read, as I knew nothing about bell-ringing or the geography of East Anglia, but it was quite a page-turner near the end. I went to bed the other night with 3 chapters left, and thinking I knew what happened, but I didn't sleep so well, wondering if I was right and how it would end. :)

#60 Fit to Burst: Abundance,Mayhem, and the Joys of Motherhood by Rachel Jankovic - Along with her first book Loving the LIttle Years, this was one of the best mothering/parenting books I've read. She is hard-hitting, humerous and very practical. I think this could be added to my list as one of my favorite non-fiction reads this year.

I am finally done setting up all the mini challenges and updating the 52 books blog so we are ready to party come January 1st, so be sure to drop by and check out the various links. And yes folks - we are doing the continental and reading around the world. Be sure to check out the various links. I had some down time nursing a hurt knee and i've worn my poor fingers to the nubs. But it's done. :coolgleamA:

#60 Fit to Burst: Abundance,Mayhem, and the Joys of Motherhood by Rachel Jankovic - Along with her first book Loving the LIttle Years, this was one of the best, most practical mothering/parenting books I've read. She is hard-hitting, humerous and very practical. I think this could be added to my list as one of my favorite non-fiction reads this year.

I just finished this this morning, Anna. Very excellent :)

Considering that I started the year with le Carre, it seemed appropriate to finish the year with this author. I had never heard of his first novel Call for the Dead, published in '61. This Cold War espionage tale introduces George Smiley to the world. There are better le Carre books which is probably why this book remains less known that Tinker Tailor or The Spy who Came in from the Cold.

Another book leaves the dusty pile...

I wasn't really interested in the Continental thing until I saw the booklists. Sooooo coool!! Are we going to stay together as we read through the continents (January: Canada; February: U.S.; etc), or is it a free-for-all ? :bigear:

Shari asks an interesting question regarding the "Doing the Continental" What say the group? Do you all want to stay together as we read through the continents? We'll definitely start the year with Canada. By the way, the booklists are recommendations and not mandatory - you can deviate and read whatever you want. But most of them looked really good. ;)

Shari asks an interesting question regarding the "Doing the Continental" What say the group? Do you all want to stay together as we read through the continents? We'll definitely start the year with Canada. By the way, the booklists are recommendations and not mandatory - you can deviate and read whatever you want. But most of them looked really good. ;)

Wow. Your booklists look great, Robin. I think I now have enough reading material until 2020 or so.... :laugh:

1) How many books did you read this year? By tomorrow evening (which of course will mark the end of the year) I will have finished 58 books

2) Did you meet or beat your own personal goal? I beat it

3) Favorite book of 2012? Yes, you can list more than one and even break it down by genre if you choose. Well I read an entire series that I loved. It was the women of the otherworld series by Kelley Armstrong, fit is in the supernatural (witches, werewolves, vampires etc) genre. I am also loving my current read "A Daughter's Redemption"

As for questions 4-14 I didn't keep that many tabs on the books lol.

15) What was your most favorite part of the challenge? Did you do any of the mini challenges? I liked reading about what other people were reading. I stopped reporting the books I was reading but still liked reading everyone else's lists

16) What are your goals for the new year? To read more non fiction? To dip your toes into a mystery or a urban fantasy or horror or romance? What book are you most looking forward to reading in 2013? Goals this year, read another 52. I am reading Anna Karenina with some other ladies as well as tackling 3 dreaded books. We will see what the new year brings my way otherwise, though I am hoping to read my way through 1 entire shelf of parenting/homeschooling books so I can cull them(I have 3 shelves of such books here)

1) How many books did you read this year? 43

2) Did you meet or beat your own personal goal? No. I wanted to read 52.

3) Favorite book of 2012? Yes, you can list more than one and even break it down by genre if you choose.

New to me:

Edenbrooke by Julianne Donaldson

Cotillion by Georgette Heyer

Rereads:

The Belgariad by David Eddings

Juliet by Anne Fortier

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling

4) Least favorite book of 2012 and why? Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead by Tom Stoppard ... I read this after reading Hamlet. I am still trying to find the point and the humor :confused1:

5) One book you thought you'd never read and was pleasantly surprised you like it? I think I can put Henry V in this category. It wasn't on my Shakespeare radar but I found it very moving and the Chorus was so lyrical.

6) One book you thought you'd love but didn't? I have a tie, The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (great premise, lacking execution, plus I found it crass) and All Roads Lead to Austen by Amy Elizabeth Smith (my IRL friends loved this, I was just meh). Both of these books were great for the last 50-80 pages, but those pages couldn't save the book.

7) One book that touched you - made you laugh, cry, sing or dance. The Belgariad series by David Eddings. Eddings is amazing, you really feel like you are friends with his characters. He makes me laugh out loud. Cotillion and Venetia by Georgette Heyer also had me laughing out loud.

8) Any new to you authors discovered and you can't wait to read more of their stories? Carrie Bebris and her Mr. and Mrs. Darcy Mysteries series and Georgette Heyer. I had read one of Heyer's historical books before but not her Regency Romances. I love them.

9) Name the longest book you read? Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling (759) Shortest? The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson (96)

Rereads (and tops the list because they are still unputdownable!):

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling

Juliet by Anne Fortier

New Books:

The Deception at Lyme by Carrie Bebris

The Intrigue at Highbury by Carrie Bebris

Edenbrooke by Julianne Donaldson

I Am Half-Sick of Shadows by Alan Bradley

Cotillion by Georgette Heyer

A Proper Companion by Candice Hern

11) Book that had the greatest impact on you this year? The Merchant of Venice by Shakespeare - I was shocked by the attitude towards the Jewish people. The Island of Doctor Moreau by H.G. Wells - I was shocked by how the doctor used the theory of evolution to rationalize his experiments. Both disturbing!

12) What book would you recommend everybody read I have most often recommended The Belgariad series by David Eddings, Juliet by Anne Fortier and Alan Bradley's Flavia books.

13) Share your most favorite cover(s) Edenbrooke (can't figure out how to add a picture)

14) Do you have a character you fell in love with? My most memorable characters are Hermione Granger, Flavia de Luce, Belgarath the Sorcerer and Hamlet

15) What was your most favorite part of the challenge? Having so many people around to discuss books with and seeing what everyone is reading Did you do any of the mini challenges? I don't think I did any this year. I like my box and I don't venture outside of it very often. :tongue_smilie:

16) What are your goals for the new year? To read more non fiction? To dip your toes into a mystery or a urban fantasy or horror or romance? My goal is to read all of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series (mega chunksters LOL) and to read a classic chunkster like Les Mis or Anna Karenina or a Dickens or something similiar. I also need to read The Goose Girl which my dd recommended to me. What book are you most looking forward to reading in 2013? A Memory of Light by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson. I can't wait to see how they end this series.

I filled out another list that someone linked a week or two ago. I wanted to share a couple from that list...

Most beautifully written book Romeo and Juliet by Shakespeare, the language just flows and is so beautiful.

Best new series The Mr. and Mrs. Darcy series by Carrie Bebris, I couldn't get through them fast enough!

Best book out of my comfort zone Below Stairs by Margaret Powell, I don't normally read non-fiction but this was written so well, it really pulled me in.

I am currently in the middle of The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan but I won't finish it by tomorrow. Thanks to you, Robin, for taking care of this thread all year! It is much appreciated and much enjoyed!!

Books of the Bible read in 2012

Mark

Genesis

Joel

Daniel

Jonah

Colossians

II Samuel

Haggai

I Samuel

Ecclesiastes

II Timothy

Proverbs (more than once)

Malachai

Books Read in 2012

· "New Spring" by Robert Jordan Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 3 stars

· "All Roads Lead to Austen" by Amy Elizabeth Smith Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 2.5 stars (384 pages)

· "The Golden Goblet" by Eloise Jarvis McGraw Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 4 stars

· "Theodosia and the Serpents of Chaos" by R. L. LaFevers Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 3 stars (344 pages)

· "Edenbrooke" by Julianne Donaldson Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 5 stars (264 pages)

· "Camille" by Tess Oliver Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 4 stars (250 pages)

· "The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" by Robert Louis Stevenson Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 3 stars (96 pages)

· "I Am Half-Sick of Shadows" by Alan Bradley Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 5 stars (320 pages)

· "The Son of Neptune" by Rick Riordan Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 4 stars (544 pages)

· "Venetia" by Georgette Heyer Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 4 stars (384 pages)

· "Enchanters' End Game" by David Eddings Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 5 stars

· "Castle of Wizardry" by David Eddings Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 4 stars

· "A Proper Companion" by Candice Hern Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 5 stars (279 pages)

· "Magician's Gambit" by David Eddings Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 4 stars

· "Queen of Sorcery" by David Eddings Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 4 stars

· "Pawn of Prophecy" by David Eddings Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 4 stars

· "The Island of Doctor Moreau" by H. G. Wells Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 1 star (for content)

· "Darcy's Voyage" by Kara Louise Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 4 stars (510 pages)

· "A Red Herring Without Mustard" by Alan Bradley Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 3 stars (416 pages)

· "Below Stairs" by Margaret Powell Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 4 stars (224 pages)

· "The Deception at Lyme" by Carrie Bebris Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 5 stars (304 pages)

· "The Intrigue at Highbury" by Carrie Bebris Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 5 stars (320 pages)

· "Faro's Daughter" by Georgette Heyer Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 4 stars (304 pages)

· "The Merchant of Venice" by William Shakespeare Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 2 stars (for content) (238 pages)

· "The Sword of Shanara" by Terry Brooks Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 2 stars (736 pages)

· "The Matters at Mansfield" by Carrie Bebris Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 4 stars (288 pages)

· "A Midsummer Night's Dream" by William Shakespeare Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 4 stars (224 pages)

· "Juliet" by Anne Fortier Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 5 stars (464 pages)

· "Romeo and Juliet" by William Shakespeare Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 4 stars (256 pages)

· "North by Northanger" by Carrie Bebris Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 4 stars (320 pages)

· "Yarn Harlot" by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 3 stars (219 pages)

· "Suspense and Sensibility" by Carrie Bebris Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 4 stars (304 pages)

· "The Tempest" by William Shakespeare Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 3 stars (192 pages)

· "Cotillion" by Georgette Heyer Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 5 stars (366 pages)

· "Pride and Prescience" by Carrie Bebris Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 4 stars (288 pages)

· "Ophelia" by Lisa Klein Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 3 stars (336 pages)

· "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead" by Tom Stoppard Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 1 star (128 pages)

· "Hamlet" by William Shakespeare Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 4 stars (288 pages)

· "The Sisters Grimm" by Michael Buckley Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 2 stars (312 pages)

· "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" by J. K. Rowling Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 5 stars (759 pages)

· "The Lost Hero" by Rick Riordan Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 3 stars (576 pages)

· "Henry V" by William Shakespeare Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 4 stars (352 pages)

· "The Eyre Affair" by Jasper Fforde Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 2 stars (374 pages)

52 Books Blog - Year End Wrap up

1) How many books did you read this year? I'm not actually done. There are 30 hours left in the year, DH has the day off tomorrow, and we are all mildly sick, so we aren't going anywhere for New Year's Eve. But 68, so far.

2) Did you meet or beat your own personal goal? I had more than one goal, but, overall, yes. I read 52 books, I started the WEM list, and I read more fiction than I have in some time.

3) Favorite book of 2012? Yes, you can list more than one and even break it down by genre if you choose. Hmm, hard to say. I enjoyed the history books by Kenneth Davis, and "Turn Right at Machu Picchu" by Mark Adams. But nothing stands out way ahead of the others.

4) Least favorite book of 2012 and why? Probably "Pilgrim's Progress." I just didn't enjoy it at all.

5) One book you thought you'd never read and was pleasantly surprised you like it? "Jane Eyre."

6) One book you thought you'd love but didn't? A second book by Condolezza Rice'. I didn't finish, and don't even remember what it's called. I really like "Extraordinary, Ordinary People" and got the other book from the eLibrary, but didn't even make it through the second chapter.

7) One book that touched you - made you laugh, cry, sing or dance. Well, I cried a lot during "Uncle Tom's Cabin," but I don't know that it's the most life-changing book I read...

8) Any new to you authors discovered and you can't wait to read more of their stories? Alexander McCall Smith.

9) Name the longest book you read? Shortest? "Don Quixote" sure seemed long. I don't know which book actually had the most pages. The shortest was probably "Who Moved My Cheese," as I read most of it while waiting for my kids' piano lessons, so maybe in 45 minutes.

10) Name the most unputdownable book you read? Hard to say. I read several that I stayed up late to finish.

11) Book that had the greatest impact on you this year? One that surprised me, "Madame Bovary." I'd read it before, and found it dull.

12) What book would you recommend everybody read? I've recommended "The Shallows" to several people. I was quite interested in the evolution of though patterns.

13) Share your most favorite cover(s) I've read quite a few books on my Kindle this year, and that makes them all have the same cover.

14) Do you have a character you fell in love with? No.

15) What was your most favorite part of the challenge? Did you do any of the mini challenges? I didn't try any of the mini challenges in 2012.

16) What are your goals for the new year? To read more non fiction? To dip your toes into a mystery or a urban fantasy or horror or romance? What book are you most looking forward to reading in 2013? I may try some of the mini challenges, but mostly I hope to progress through more of the WEM list.

Oh, I meant to answer your actual question in my last post, but then I didn't....

I'm fine w/ sticking together w/ the Canada books (or a very specific geographic/local challenge if one comes up), but I'm not sure I'd plan to stick together through 7 continents.... My reading is all over the place & I'll probably just mention if a book I'm reading also happens to fit the continental challenge, kwim? Also, since everyone will pick different books, reads at different paces, etc..., I think it would be hard as a group to keep up w/ reading through 7 continents. Just my 2 cents -- I'm certainly open to sticking together as a group, but just wondering how many, if any, would stick it out...???

16) What are your goals for the new year? To read more non fiction? To dip your toes into a mystery or a urban fantasy or horror or romance? My goal is to read all of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series (mega chunksters LOL) and to read a classic chunkster like Les Mis or Anna Karenina or a Dickens or something similiar. I also need to read The Goose Girl which my dd recommended to me. What book are you most looking forward to reading in 2013? A Memory of Light by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson. I can't wait to see how they end this series.

I am currently in the middle of The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan but I won't finish it by tomorrow. Thanks to you, Robin, for taking care of this thread all year! It is much appreciated and much enjoyed!!

I'm going to join you for part of the Wheel of Time series. After reading #2 The Great Hunt, I wanted to continue with the series. Hubby bought me # 3 and I just downloaded 4 and 5 which should satisfy me for a while. We'll see how far I get this year. Thanks for the inspiration.

Aw shucks - Thank you. It's been a pleasure.

Oh, I meant to answer your actual question in my last post, but then I didn't....

I'm fine w/ sticking together w/ the Canada books (or a very specific geographic/local challenge if one comes up), but I'm not sure I'd plan to stick together through 7 continents.... My reading is all over the place & I'll probably just mention if a book I'm reading also happens to fit the continental challenge, kwim? Also, since everyone will pick different books, reads at different paces, etc..., I think it would be hard as a group to keep up w/ reading through 7 continents. Just my 2 cents -- I'm certainly open to sticking together as a group, but just wondering how many, if any, would stick it out...???

Thinking I may do an every other month deal with a challenge to read books from a certain continent. Folks can jump in if and when they want too. You are right - there are too many people going too many different directions (no pun intended) to try and keep everyone together.

Completed:

Book #70 - "The Kalahari Typing School for Men" by Alexander McCall Smith. And, as suspected, I spent much of the day holding a not-too-happy, sick toddler. (Bad cold, but starting to sound like croup.) DH is sick, too, and can't stay awake due to the prescription cough medication he was given. Haven't been able to get much done, but at least my Kindle is loaded up.

I'm enjoying this series. Cozy-type mysteries that are just right for diversion reading.

Book #69 - "Tears of the Giraffe" by Alexander McCall Smith. Yeah, the library finally had it in yesterday afternoon! I'm back on track.

Book #68 - "Morality for Beautiful Girls" by Alexander McCall Smith.

Book #67 - "Madame Bovary" by Gustave Flaubert.

Book #66 - "The No.1 Ladies' Detective Ageny" by Alexander McCall Smith.

Book #65 - "While the World Watched" by Carolyn Maull McKinstry with Denise George.

Book #64 - "2012 Family Guide to Groceries Under $250 a month" by Melissa Burnell.

Book #63 - "Artemis Fowl" by Eoin Colfer.

Book #62 - "Uncle Tom's Cabin" by Harriet Beecher Stowe.

Book #61 - "Talking Back to OCD" by John S. March, MD.

Book #60 - "Moby Dick: or, the White Whale" by Herman Melville.

Book #59 - "Freeing Your Child From Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder" by Tamar E. Chansky, Ph.D.

Book #58 - "What to Do When Your Brain Gets Stuck: A Kid's Guide to Overcoming OCD" by Dawn Huebner, Ph.D.

Book #57 - "The Scarlet Letter" by Nathaniel Hawthorne.

Book #56 - "Jane Eyre" by Charlotte Bronte.

Book #55 - "America: The Story of Us, Book 3 - A House Divided Cannot Stand" by Kevin Baker.

Book #54 - "America: The Story of Us, Book 2 - Creating the West" by Kevin Baker.

Book #53 - "Oliver Twist" by Charles Dickens.

Book #52 - "America: The Story of Us, Book 1 - The World Comes to America" by Kevin Baker, et. al.

Book #51 - "The Shallows: What the Internet is Doing to Our Brains" by Nicholas Carr.

Book #50 - "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen.

Book #49 - "Gulliver's Travels" by Jonathan Swift.

Book #48 - "No Regrets: How Homeschooling Earned me a Master's Degree at Age Sixteen" by Alexandra Swann.

Book #47 - "What to Read When" by Pam Allyn.

Book #46 - "60 Hikes Within 60 Miles: Salt Lake City" by Greg Witt.

Book #45 - "Freeing Your Child From Anxiety" by Tamar Chansky.

Book #44 - "A Nation Rising" by Kenneth C. Davis.

Book #43 - "The Pilgrim's Progress" by John Bunyan.

Book #42 - "The School for the Insanely Gifted" by Dan Elish.

Book #41 - "The Eye of the Sun - Part One of Blackwood: Legends of the Forest" by Les Moyes.

Book #40 - "The Fallacy Detective" by Nathaniel Bluedorn and Hans Bluedorn.

Book #39 - "Don Quixote" by Miguel de Cervantes. Translated by John Ormsby.

Book #38 - "Organizing Solutions for People with Attention Deficit Disorder" by Susan C. Pinsky.

Book #37 - "Growing Up: A Classic American Childhood" by Marilyn vos Savant.

Book #36 -"A Young People's History of the United States" by Howard Zinn.

Book #35 - "Organizing the Disorganized Child: Simple Strategies to Succeed in School" by Martin L. Kutscher & Marcella Moran.

Book #34 - "Turn Right at Machu Picchu" by Mark Adams.

Book #33 - "The Lightening Thief" by Rick Riordan.

Book #32 - "Thunder Dog: The True Story of a Blind Man, His Guide Dog, And the Triumph of Trust at Ground Zero" by Michael Hingson.

Book #31 - "America's Hidden History" by Kenneth C. Davis.

Book #30 - "The Diamond of DarkholdĂ¢â‚¬ by Jeanne DuPrau.

Book #29 - "The People of SparksĂ¢â‚¬ by Jeanne DuPrau.

Book #28 - "Mockingjay" by Suzanne Collins.

Book #27 - "Well-Educated Mind" by Susan Wise Bauer.

Book #26 - "The Prophet of Yonwood" by Jeanne Duprau.

Book #25 - "City of Ember" by Jeanne Duprau.

Book #24 - "The Last Lecture" by Randy Pausch.

Book #23 - "Who Moved My Cheese" by Spencer Johnson.

Book #22 - "Deconstructing Penguins" by Lawrence and Nancy Goldstone.

Book #21 - "Stargirl" by Jerry Spinelli.

Book #20 - "Catching Fire" by Suzanne Collins.

Book #19 - "Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins.

Book #18 - "Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close" by Jonathan Safran Foer.

Book #17 - "Frozen Assets: Cook for a Day, Eat for a Month" by Deborah Taylor-Hough.

Book #16 - "Miserly Moms: Living Well on Less in a Tough Economy" by Jonni McCoy.

Book #15 - "The Highly Sensitive Person" by Elaine N. Aron, Ph.D.

Book #14 - "Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking" by Susan Cain.

Book #13 - "Chasing Vermeer" by Blue Balliett.

Book #12 - "The Highly Sensitive Person" by Elaine N. Aron, Ph.D.

Book #11 - "Extraordinary, Ordinary People" by Condoleezza Rice.

Book #10 - "The Pig in the Pantry" by Rose Godfrey.

Book #9 - "The Virgin in the Ice" by Ellis Peters.

Book #8 - "The Leper of St. Giles" by Ellis Peters.

Book #7 - "St. Peter's Fair" by Ellis Peters.

Book #6 - "Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother" by Amy Chua.

Book #5 - "Monk's Hood" by Ellis Peters.

Book #4 - "Flash and Bones" by Kathy Reichs.

Book #3 - "Spider Bones" by Kathy Reichs.

Book #2 - "One Corpse Too Many" by Ellis Peters.

Book #1 - "A Morbid Taste for Bones" by Ellis Peters.

I'm going to join you for part of the Wheel of Time series. After reading #2 The Great Hunt, I wanted to continue with the series. Hubby bought me # 3 and I just downloaded 4 and 5 which should satisfy me for a while. We'll see how far I get this year. Thanks for the inspiration.

Aw shucks - Thank you. It's been a pleasure.

Yeah! :hurray: I've been too distracted over Christmas break to read much. My dd's have been playing their new Zelda game and Spyro game and I can't concentrate on reading. Plus I'm on muscle relaxers for a pulled muscle (at least I hope that's all it is) and I'm pretty sleepy. :glare:

Time for a little end of the year love fest. All of you have read some awesome books and my wishlist is growing by leaps and bounds. Too many posts for me to quote specifically so I'll just tell you all that I'm so very proud of each and every one of you for stretching your reading wings and exploring new book worlds. You've exposed me to books I would never have considered reading in the past. I've also seen an amazing amount of growth in all of you and enjoyed all our discussions. I appreciate what each of you have brought to the challenge and for all your friendship and camaraderie. Thank you and cheers to 2013.

~clink~

Time for a little end of the year love fest. All of you have read some awesome books and my wishlist is growing by leaps and bounds. Too many posts for me to quote specifically so I'll just tell you all that I'm so very proud of each and every one of you for stretching your reading wings and exploring new book worlds. You've exposed me to books I would never have considered reading in the past. I've also seen an amazing amount of growth in all of you and enjoyed all our discussions. I appreciate what each of you have brought to the challenge and for all your friendship and camaraderie. Thank you and cheers to 2013.

~clink~

Awww. Cheers & Happy New Year to all of my book a week friends! To all of you, and Robin especially, thank you from the bottom of my heart! I love your intelligence, fun book talk, and 'seeing' you here on a regular basis!

I have so many books waiting on my stack that I can pretty much be guaranteed of finding one to meet any challenge you throw my way :rofl:

This is me too. I was going to read The Handmaid's Tale along with Herodotus in January, so maybe I can keep up, sort of...

I just finished reading through this thread and I'm excited to say that I'm in!!! I used to read a lot, but I have found that over the past couple of years that I am spending way more time online (Facebook, WTM, etc) and less time in my books. So I am making a commitment in 2013 to read more and I hope that joining in on this thread will help.

I will admit that I don't totally get the challenges, but I hope that if I follow along on the threads each week they will make sense. Yes?

I'm going to call it at 49. I'd like to finish one more today, but suspect I won't as I have 100 pages to go and 4 bowl games to watch ;)

ETA: In 2010, I read 40. In 2011, I read 42. This is a definite step up!

No, I was hoping to get to 52, but I'm not disappointed ... reading as much as I can manage is my goal.

Favorite Read-Aloud - Little Britches by Ralph Moody.

Favorite History - Evening in the Palace of Reason by James Gaines.

Favorite Parenting - Loving the Little Years and Fit to Burst both by Rachel Jankovic

Favorite Audio Book - The Hobbit read by Rob Inglis

Favorite Education Book - Moonwalking with Einstein by Joshua Foer

Favorite Memoir (and probably overall favorite) - Surprised by Oxford by Carolyn Weber

Either Lit! by Tony Reinke or Edenbrooke by Julianne Donaldson. Lit! just wasn't very engaging or well constructed. It was a bit of a slog. I was expecting much better after stellar reviews. I also had high hopes for Edenbrooke, that weren't met. I was somewhere in the middle - I didn't love it as much as Angel and I didn't dislike it as much as AggieAmy. Overall, I didn't have anything in my booklist that was awful.

Oh, and Emotional Intensity in Gifted Students. It wasn't very helpful at all.

5) One book you thought you'd never read and was pleasantly surprised you like it?

I would never have selected The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion, but it helped me find a new genre I liked: memoir.

Both of my least favorites of 2012 fit this category.

Surprised by Oxford. I absolutely loved it. I want to be friends with Carolyn Weber.

8) Any new to you authors discovered and you can't wait to read more of their stories?

I'll read anything Carolyn Weber writes. And, not a specific author, but I plan on continuing to read in the genre of memoir. I really enjoyed reading about people's lives this year.

I also read some Sayers mysteries and want to continue. And PG Wodehouse on my Kindle.

Shortest is The Best Christmas Pageant Ever. Longest is probably one of the Howatch books.

10) Name the most unputdownable book you read? 11) Book that had the greatest impact on you this year?; 2) What book would you recommend everybody read? 13) Share your most favorite cover(s)

Surprised by Oxford. I could not keep my nose out of it.

9923943.jpg

Bertie & Jeeves, Bunter & Wimsey

15) What was your most favorite part of the challenge? Did you do any of the mini challenges?

I enjoy the camaraderie - even when I'm not reading the same books as everyone else. I enjoy getting back to reading a lot. I enjoy learning about books I know I won't read ...

16) What are your goals for the new year? To read more non fiction? To dip your toes into a mystery or a urban fantasy or horror or romance? What book are you most looking forward to reading in 2013?

My goals were to not do any re-reads, but I think I'm going to limit that because I was given two books for Christmas that will require some re-reading (Island of the World which was my favorite book of 2011 - and maybe ever and Publish & Perish which is the third in a series that I read the first two of many years ago). I'm not going to count any Heyer, Austen, or Eddings re-reads in 2013 because those are too easy. I'd like to read more Sayers, finish SWB's Medieval History book, read the next one when it comes out. I might do the CSL challenge. I'd like to re-pre-read Anne of Green Gables because I have an 8 year old who will be ready in the next year or so.

My complete book list for 2012:

1. Lit! by Tony Reinke

2. Loving the Little Years by Rachel Jankovic

3. Words to Eat By by Ina Lipkowitz

4. How to Tutor Your Own Child by Marina Koestler Ruben

5. Evening in the Palace of Reason by James R Gaines (spectacular)

6. The Cat of Bubastes by GA Henty (Audio from Librivox)

7. The Last Battle by C S Lewis (Audiobook)

8. A Praying Life by Paul E Miller

9. Emotional Intensity in Gifted Students by Christine Fonesca

10. Little Britches: Father and I Were Ranchers by Ralph Moody (fantastic read aloud)

11. The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare

12. The Abolition of Man by C.S. Lewis

13. How to Write a Sentence by Stanley Fish

14. The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion

15. The Rich Are Different by Susan Howatch

16. The Masqueraders by Georgette Heyer

17. Sylvester by Georgette Heyer

18. Understood Betsy by Dorothy Canfield Fisher (great read aloud)

19. Sins of the Fathers by Susan Howatch (wow!)

20. Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls (very good)

21. Mansfield Parkby Jane Austen (favorite)

22. The Toll Gate by Georgette Heyer

23. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl (audio book)

24. The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick (audio book)

25. Penmarric by Susan Howatch

26. Cashelmara by Susan Howatch

27. The Grand Sophy by Georgette Heyer

28. Pawn of Prophecy by David Eddings

29. Queen of Sorcery by David Eddings

30. Magician's Gambit by David Eddings

31. Castle of Wizadry by David Eddings

32. Enchanter's End Game by David Eddings

33. Persuasion by Jane Austen

34. Surprised by Oxford by Carolyn Weber (phenomenal)

35. A Circle of Quiet by Madeleine L'Engle

36. My Man, Jeeves by PG Wodehouse

37. Right Ho, Jeeves by PG Wodehouse

38. The Summer of the Great-Grandmother by Madeleine L'Engle

39. Moonwalking with Einstein by Joshua Foer

40. Never Gone by Laurel Garver

41. The Secret of Contentment by William B Barcley

42. A Severe Mercy by Sheldon Vanauken

43. Edenbrooke by Julianne Donaldson

44. Whose Body? by Dorothy L Sayers

45. The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien (Audio Book read by Rob Inglis)

46. Black Beauty by Anna Sewell (Librivox Recording)

47. Clouds of Witness by Dorothy L Sayers

48. The Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson

49. Fit to Burst: Abundance, Mayhem, and the Joys of Motherhood by Rachel Jankovic

Well, help and bother. I wrote a summary of my reading year, twice, but it vanished both times when I tried to add a photo. Now my little notebook of book lists is MIA among the holiday detritus so I'll just do a quick summary off the top of my head.

1) How many books did you read this year? 42

My only goal is to read, not worry so much about the number, though this is the first time in all the years of the challenge I didn't make it to 52. What is surprising to me is that I haven't read more since becoming an empty nester last fall -- turns out I read more while homeschooling (a quick and easy escape) and driving the kids places (killing time while they were in the activity). I have to be far more purposeful in reading now.

3) Favorite books of 2012?

2 of my favorites were serendipitous finds at airport book shops: Crossing the Heart of Africa by Julian Smith and Maphead by Ken Jenkins. The Africa book is similar to Lost City of Z in that the author is retracing the steps of a legendary British explorer. Maphead is somewhat like Bill Bryson's recent non-fiction in that, aside from being funny and readable, each chapter touches on a different aspect of his main topic, which is maps.

I loved Dodger by Terry Pratchett and I loved listening to the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings because I discovered new aspects to the story that I missed when reading them to myself -- I am an impatient reader and gloss over even the most beautifully written descriptions.

I finally read Great Expectations, well, listened to it, and I'm planning on listening to perhaps David Copperfield in 2013.

I read a good amount of fluff, too, mostly mysteries and fantasy, but there were a few romance and Steam Punk titles, too. It just occurred to me that in general I read fluff in print form and listen more often to classics.

I finally listened to my son's favorite young adult series, the Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud. Those were great fun and were my companion while I crocheted a giant Tardis afghan for my son to take to college with him. It was a photo of this that crashed my previous attempts at posting my year end round up, so I'm not even going to try this time!!

I never do any of the challenges as I just read whatever piques my interest at any given time. I enjoy reading what others discover, though.

16) What are your goals for the new year? Lol, I need to find my little notebook before long so I can continue keeping a reading log!! I'm thinking I should restart my blog as I used to write reviews and take part in Robin's 52 books blog, and I can include photos of the crafty projects I do while listening to audio books.

Happy New Year!!

I may or may not finish my book today. I'm trying to ease back into lessons. Maybe tonight. Is everyone ready for the huge wave of newbies that will be with us on the book a week threads for the next few months? It's always crazy!

Yes! We will have 8 pages of Book a Week this week :)

ladydusk: A good I also had high hopes for Edenbrooke, that weren't met. I was somewhere in the middle - I didn't love it as much as Angel and I didn't dislike it as much as AggieAmy.

Well, someone had to be in the middle :laugh: We usually like the same books, Heyer, Austen, Eddings, so I'm surprised.

Well, I screwed up that post. I was trying to reply to two people and I obviously deleted part of the quote. Sorry!

I may or may not finish my book today. I'm trying to ease back into lessons. Maybe tonight. Is everyone ready for the huge wave of newbies that will be with us on the book a week threads for the next few months? It's always crazy! A good crazy.

I had to compromise with my son this morning. We already had two weeks off so planned a regular week of lessons. He was adamant about having another week off because that's what was on the schedule and I changed it. So only history, science and math this week.

Yep, we'll have a lot of newbies for a few weeks which will make it interesting and fun and slightly hectic.

Noooooo!!!!!! :scared: :ack2: :leaving: I was thinking about this this morning. I have experienced the past two years, and the threads in January/February are HUGE. Hey, Robin, any thoughts on how this thread has grown or changed since you started five years ago? Noticed any trends?

Like you said, there is usually a lot of energy and excitement the first couple months, then things settle down and we end up with a core group of folks. I've seen a few people come out of their shells and really get into talking about their reads. We have a diverse group who all get along famously without any dissension. . Folks are more willing to stretch their reading wings so to speak and try books they probably wouldn't have considered. The first couple years it seemed it was difficult for quite a few to even think of reading 52 books and now they are doing it with ease. And for those who read less, they've come to realize that it's okay. No one is judgmental about anyone's reads or the number of books they choose to read. I'm just happy to see more and more people reading and making it a priority for themselves.

1) How many books did you read this year? 80

2) Did you meet or beat your own personal goal? I met my goal, but I didn't finish Vanity Fair or my personal Shakespeare challenge. I will probably con't with that this year.

3) Favorite book of 2012? Yes, you can list more than one and even break it down by genre if you choose. I loved the Dark Molasses book and I loved the Giver I also loved the series by Janette Oke and T Davis Bunn about early church history .

5) One book you thought you'd never read and was pleasantly surprised you like it? Much Ado About Nothing. We ended that book and I laughed and said well, that was much ado about nothing.

7) One book that touched you - made you laugh, cry, sing or dance. Am ish Kitchen made me laugh, Giver touched me deeply

8) Any new to you authors discovered and you can't wait to read more of their stories? Lois Lowry and I heard an interview with her that made me like her more and want to read more. I also discovered Tessa Afshaaer she is writing about early biblical times.

10) Name the most unputdownable book you read? Courting Cate

11) Book that had the greatest impact on you this year? Da rk Tide impacted a lot of my other reads, I researched more about WW1, unions and it even led to the Ku Klux Klan and into WW2. This book also led to research on our food. There used to be a grain mill in every town, when the women went to work food became more processed. The grainary became greedy and sold bread to consumers and leftovers as feed for herds. The kicker is they took out all of the good vitamins and minerals, but the people got sick. So they had to replace the vitamins and minerals and that is how we ended up with enriched flour. All of the and so much more from reading this one book.

12) What book would you recommend everybody read? Th e Dark Tide and the Giver

14) Do you have a character you fell in love with? Cate from Courting Cate .

15) What was your most favorite part of the challenge? Did you do any of the mini challenges? I enjoyed reading about what others read and reading different genres. I did the birth year and month challenge and read Love Story.

16) What are your goals for the new year? To read more non fiction? To dip your toes into a mystery or a urban fantasy or horror or romance? What book are you most looking forward to reading in 2013?

My main goal is to read less Amish Fiction. I really like it but I need to expand my horizons. I want to con't Vanity Fair and Shakespeare. I am looking forward to reading Seward.

(Atwood isn't on the list of Canadian authors :confused:)

I missed Atwood? Thanks for bringing it to my attention. Will fix the list. I'm sure there are a few others I missed as well. Will spend some time with canadian authors this week and see who else I can add.

I also know that for myself, I like to read about cold places when it's cold outside (Arctic / Russia) and warm places when it's warm (France / Middle East). Didn't think about that and will have to remember it.

Maybe see how participation goes? I have so many books waiting on my stack that I can pretty much be guaranteed of finding one to meet any challenge you throw my way :rofl: (Except the C S Lewis. I'm not a fan of his, but I will gladly watch the Narnia movies in honor of the BaW challenge :wink:) Also, there will be a lot of new faces for the first few months of Book-A-Week and a highly structured challenge might scare people off? IDK

Yeah I know. Planning on keeping things casual like the previous years and if folks want to join in when I make suggestions they can.

I Just have to say a great big Thank-you to Robin for taking the time to do the blog posts and the weekly post here at WTM. I rarely post ( I am as shy in the cyber world as I am in real life) but I have been reading more because of this challenge. I only made it to 46 books this year but hope to make 52 next year. Somehow time gets away from me. Also another great big Thank-you for all the people who share their book choices here and sometimes giving their synopsis and ratings. I have continually had to expand my list of want to read. Just wanted you to know how grateful the lurkers are to all you avid readers. I look forward to 2013. Thanks everyone.

I am late on the wrap-up and also in listing the final books I read in 2012 - I am assuming those still go on this thread . . .

So, during week 52, I read (or finished reading):

#69 - Summer at Tiffany: A Memoir, by Marjorie Hart. One of my favorites this year!

#70 - Raphael, The Herald Angel, by David Appel and Merle Hudson. A delightful book that we do as a read-aloud every December.

#71 - The Hired Man's Christmas, by George Givens. Another excellent book with a most meaningful message that we do as a read-aloud every December. It is a true story, written by the father of a friend.

#72 - Killing Kennedy, by Bill O'Reilly and Martin Dugard. A page-turner.

#73 - Amish Prayers, compiled by Beverly Lewis. Inspirational.

Here is my wrap-up:

No. My goal was to surpass last years' total, which was 80. Nonetheless, I am very happy with 73. READING makes me happy - not the total books read!

In no particular order (just pasted from the order read):

--Killing Lincoln, by Bill O'Reilly & Martin Dugard

--The Grand Sophy, by Georgette Heyer

--My Name is Asher Lev, by Chaim Potok

--Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking, by Susan Cain

--The Gift of Asher Lev, by Chaim Potok

--That Quail, Robert, by Margaret A. Stanger

--Surprised by Oxford: A Memoir, by Carolyn Weber

--Summer at Tiffany: A Memoir, by Marjorie Hart

--Killing Kennedy, by Bill O'Reilly & Martin Dugard

--The Pioneer Woman: Black Heels to Tractor Wheels - A Love Story, by Ree Drummond. Shallow. A waste of time.

--Every Other Monday: Twenty Years of Life, Lunch, Faith and Friendship, by John Kasich. Not enough substance.

--The Marked Bible, by Charles L. Taylor. More of an argument for a particular belief rather than the story line indicated in the tickler on the back cover.

5) One book you thought you'd never read and was pleasantly surprised you liked it?

--On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft, by Stephen King. Not the title, but rather, the author. I do not read Stephen King; his type of writing definitely does not interest me. However, this non-fiction, semi-autobiographical work was quite good - informative/instructive without being preachy, dull, or boring, while his personal stories and background made for an absorbing narrative.

--Letter to a Stranger, by Elswyth Thane. Simply because it was a Thane novel and I love her Williamsburg series. I didn't hate this book; was simply disappointed.

--Every Other Monday: Twenty Years of Life, Lunch, Faith and Friendship, by John Kasich. It took me about a year to find a copy of this book that I really wanted to like and had looked forward to reading. Disappointing. Not enough substance.

--Surprised by Oxford: A Memoir, by Carolyn Weber. Touched all the emotions. Superb writing. Have read that she may write a sequel. If she does, I will be waiting with bated breath till I can get my hands on it!

--Georgette Heyer

--Anne Tyler

Most books are hard for me to put down! No one title stands out in my mind, but definitely the books listed in question 3 would qualify.

11) Book that had the greatest impact on you this year?

--Surprised by Oxford: A Memoir, by Carolyn Weber. Although I took bits and pieces (some larger, some smaller) from other books, too.

12) What book would you recommend everybody read?

Favorite part of the challenge was READING, followed by this thread and seeing what everyone else was reading. My wanna-read list grew quite a bit! I did not do any of the challenges. At the beginning of the year, I thought I would, then decided to do what I needed to do - namely, read primarily for pleasure and escape. I wanted to include a good sampling of non-fiction and I did (31 books). Fiction reading included three books by *classic* authors (not sure that the specific titles are classics, but the authors have other books that are on virtually every classic list). I also wanted to clear out some of my books that have been sitting around for a long time - the Dusty Challenge that has been established for 2013! I managed to dwindle that stack by about 27 books. Whew!

My goal is simply to read. Not burdening myself with challenges or goals.

Robin, Thank You again for doing this thread. Sometimes it is the highlight of the week, and always it is the thread I look forward to!

--Surprised by Oxford: A Memoir, by Carolyn Weber. Touched all the emotions. Superb writing. Have read that she may write a sequel. If she does, I will be waiting with bated breath till I can get my hands on it!

Oooh! That's an exciting rumor to read! I'd be all over that :) Happy to know others loved it like I did :)

The gluten free girl book was really more of a memoir of her life long food romance. She really views food in a different light than I do.

I love Bertie and Jeeves! Bertie is so naively lovable, and Jeeves is the man. Jeeves has a very thorough understanding of human behavior. :D When you're in the mood for some fun and light reading then Jeeves fits the bill. I don't remember why one has 4 stars. I should make comments about my rating when I give it. :o I love Dickens so I gave Nicholas Nickleby 5 stars. However, I like Our Mutual Friend best so far of his books. It has a bit of mystery thrown in. The Enchanted April is also in my top 5 of the year. It's a sweet book yet deep.

Thanks for both of those--like you I eat to live, so while she does have some great recipes, I'll skip her book. I will try Jeeves for when I need light reading (I may start Les Miserables unabridged after seeing the movie of the musical, but will read that with other books) and will take a look at Dickens as well.

The Night Circus is beautifully written with rich descriptions. You travel along with the characters and are shown how each person deals with the extraordinary circumstances they find themselves in. It's beautiful, tragic, and happy.

Just like Vanessa said, it's a magical story. It's well written, captures the imagination. There is a sense of mystery and romance throughout. It may not be everybody's cup of tea, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. The storyline reminded me in a way of Something Wicked This Way Comes but only in that the circus mysteriously appears. The rest is totally unique. I'd link you to some of the reviews but too many bloggers give the farm away when talking about the book. Do a search, read a few reviews and make up your mind from there. To me It was just an incredibly well written enchanting story.

Okay, I may try it. I did read that Bradbury book in high school, but have forgotten most of it, but am glad Night Circus is mostly different as I'm not into that kind of book anymore. I do like beautifully written books as long as they arent tragic or extremely disturbing as I'm tired of those books (too much tragedy and extremely disturbing things go in in the world for me to want to read them in fiction anymore.)