Menu

What are your birthday traditions?

AlmiraGulch

Today is DD2's 10th birthday. Here's what she asked for:

1. Donations to the Homeless Pets Club she's a member of at school

2. Art supplies

3. A onion named Bob. (No, I'm not kidding)

She got everything on her list. :thumbup1:

Anyway, we do birthdays big around here. The birthday person is always beaten awake by the rest of the family with balloons; has cake/brownie/whatever sweet thing they want for breakfast, complete with candles and rousing rendition of Happy Birthday; opens all their presents before school; does no chores all day; and picks dinner, whether it's something I cook or the restaurant of their choice.

Does anyone else do anything special?

By the way, this is the pic from this morning, complete with her new onion, Bob.

post-8674-0-93969500-1355335891_thumb.jpg

Your daughter sounds like a wonderfully unique soul!

t

Around here, the birthday child gets special waffles a la Dad (waffles topped with vanilla ice cream and powdered sugar). Sometimes that has to wait for the weekend since dd11 doesn't enjoy waking early enough for Dad to make it before he goes to the office. They are also usually treated to an outing with the person of their choice, without their siblings (dd usually a movie or a museum we normally couldn't visit with the Littles).

We also always have a neighborhood cookout for the birthday kiddo - presents, cake, hot dogs, hamburgers, sausages, pop for the kids, beer for the adults. They can invite friends too, of course, but it's made up mostly of neighbors.

On the b-day:

They get 1 present, any cake they want, decorated they way they want, and their choice of dinner

Once a year we have family birthday, where we have a big bash, with friends, for all four children, food (usually bbq) and presents. No cake (usually homemade ice cream and blackberry cobbler.

The goal is to hopefully have them get together at least once a year (just themselves) to celebrate their birthdays all their lives.

The birthday person chooses what they want for all meals. Generally, breakfast at home. Lunch out if not working/in school (college boy). Dinner out at place of choice (no restrictions except no fast food). Dessert of choice, either at the restaurant, another restaurant, or at home. Gifts vary, depending on wish list. May be several smallish gifts or one/two largish gifts.

On the b-day:

They get 1 present, any cake they want, decorated they way they want, and their choice of dinner

Once a year we have family birthday, where we have a big bash, with friends, for all four children, food (usually bbq) and presents. No cake (usually homemade ice cream and blackberry cobbler.

The goal is to hopefully have them get together at least once a year (just themselves) to celebrate their birthdays all their lives.

What a great idea!

What a great idea!

They think of each other all year long. Buying gifts at thrift stores or making things in secret.

This year was really great!

A series of events kept postponing the day this year(money or relatives or surgery), so I finally just made a date to exchange gifts (but no party). They were so excited to watch each other open the things they had gotten them. No issues about not having a party or cake. They were just glad to finally be able to give their gifts to each other.

I actually cried though the whole thing.

I am making a fund already for next year and we will set a date and send out invites so nothing can stop the party next year.

We have a birthday tuck-in tradition. When my dd celebrates her next birthday, we'll tuck her into bed the night before saying "Good night 11 year old girl."

When she wakes up, she'll be greeted with "Good morning 12 year old girl!"

We take the day off of school and spend the day celebrating the birthday child. My ds doesn't care for parties with friends anymore. My dd can have a birthday party with friends every other year.