Menu

Internet redirecting me to sites with viruses?

sbgrace

My browser sometimes directs me to a site I didn't click on. Why is it doing that? Just now I clicked on Singapore Math's website from a google search. It went instead to some site in a foreign language. I got a computer virus, 3 infected files, and something with the registry with that redirected click. What can I do to prevent this from happening?

Time for a full-on virus scan, I would guess. Sounds like you still have something nasty like a virus running around out there on your machine.

One tip - making sure your anti-virus is up-to-date, then run the scan twice, rebooting between each run. Sometimes that will flush out something that was hiding the first time.

We had a virus on one computer that did this. It was impossible to get rid of no matter how many times I tried to clean it. We ended up having to wipe the hard drive and start over. You can start with a spybot scan or malwarebytes... but I'm no expert.

This was my experience as well. It is probably a "Google misdirect virus." If you type a website in directly, as opposed to clicking on the Google link, you can probably get there. Also, my version would let you right click on the link and open it in a new window. If you google "google misdirect virus" (on another computer, of course!), you will find plenty of people to share in your misery. I tried everything--Norton, McAfee, Malewarebytes and a couple more, and none of them worked. I never found a solution, and neither have plenty of other people. I did have antivirus (Webroot, which I now despise) on and running when I acquired the virus.

My ultimate solution was just not to use that computer for Google searches any more.

Terri

We had a virus on one computer that did this. It was impossible to get rid of no matter how many times I tried to clean it. We ended up having to wipe the hard drive and start over. You can start with a spybot scan or malwarebytes... but I'm no expert.

We had the same experience. It was impossible to remove. I'm not an expert so I hope this describe this well. Every time a virus program detected it and removed it, the virus would reinstall when we turned the computer on.

This was my experience as well. It is probably a "Google misdirect virus." If you type a website in directly, as opposed to clicking on the Google link, you can probably get there. Also, my version would let you right click on the link and open it in a new window. If you google "google misdirect virus" (on another computer, of course!), you will find plenty of people to share in your misery. I tried everything--Norton, McAfee, Malewarebytes and a couple more, and none of them worked. I never found a solution, and neither have plenty of other people. I did have antivirus (Webroot, which I now despise) on and running when I acquired the virus.

My ultimate solution was just not to use that computer for Google searches any more.

Terri

We had the re-direct virus too, and a friend recommended webroot, because it got rid of hers. Didn't work for me. I did take mine to a guy, who got rid of it w/out wiping my hard drive. I also have malwarebytes, and had it when I got it. It didn't get rid of it either. BTW- I think webroot was a waste of money too.

Check your internet settings. The virus is probably redirecting your internet through a proxy. If you disable that, it should be okay. Also, try a different browser.

For a real fix, run a full virus scan (with boot scan, if option available) or Restore Windows. Warning: Your virus scan *MAY BE* corrupted so make sure that it is still working..... The virus can also disable windows restore (depending on how long the virus has been in your system).

First I would check the browser extensions/add-ons, and make sure there isn't anything strange running. Disable anything you don't immediately recognize. Then, if that didn't clear it up, I'd go for the full scan. If that doesn't work, you may need to download a specific program to hunt down the little bugger, so get access to a second computer and use that one to figure out which virus you have and what you need to do. Dh's laptop had one of those once, and it was a pain to get rid of. I had to download two programs and run them on the infected computer via flashdrive, iirc. Took me all day.

You can pay $139 or so for a company like Norton to actually connect to your computer and remove the virus. We did this once and it worked. You need to remove the virus somehow because it will affect the rest of the computer, not just your browsing.