Menu

What should I serve with eggnog fudge swirl ice cream?

Julie in CA

A chocolatey something would work well too instead of adding another flavor. You always have such yummy ideas.

This. Eggnog fudge swirl ice cream sounds delicious. So does gingerbread. But I'm not a fan of combining the two.

Another idea would be to serve the ice cream with shortbread cookies or those flat lacy cookies that are made in the waffle iron thingy. (Such a technical description, I know. My neighbor made them growing up.)

A chocolatey something would work well too instead of adding another flavor.

I thought about that, but I'm really looking for a dessert with a complexity of flavor that would not be found elsewhere.

Pairing it with chocolate would be so...predictable.

I've never had sticky toffee pudding. Would it be good with eggnog fudge swirl ice cream?

This. Eggnog fudge swirl ice cream sounds delicious. So does gingerbread. But I'm not a fan of combining the two.

Another idea would be to serve the ice cream with shortbread cookies or those flat lacy cookies that are made in the waffle iron thingy. (Such a technical description, I know. My neighbor made them growing up.)

Pizzelles.

But I read your next post re complexity, so these probably won't help you.

Pizzelles.

But I read your next post re complexity, so these probably won't help you.

I agree with the pizelle idea. While I agree they do not have a complex flavor, adding anise flavoring does give them a very unique flavor.....and they are delicious!

I thought about that, but I'm really looking for a dessert with a complexity of flavor that would not be found elsewhere.

Pairing it with chocolate would be so...predictable.

I've never had sticky toffee pudding. Would it be good with eggnog fudge swirl ice cream?

I think the sticky toffee pudding would be divine w/ the ice cream!

I agree with the pizelle idea. While I agree they do not have a complex flavor, adding anise flavoring does give them a very unique flavor.....and they are delicious!

Anise is a really strong, and personal flavor. I happen to be one of those that can't stand anise. Sorry.

If you're serving the ice cream straight up I was also thinking along the lines of a shortbread or lacy cookie. Or chocolate wafer cookies.

Or pair the ice cream with some homemade lady fingers, whipped cream and chocolate syrup etc. to make a dessert.

It's for the restaurant where I do all of the pastries. It needs to be a "high-end" dessert--one you wouldn't necessarily be able to get somewhere else or easily replicate at home.

It's for the restaurant where I do all of the pastries. It needs to be a "high-end" dessert--one you wouldn't necessarily be able to get somewhere else or easily replicate at home.

Maybe Impish can ask her friend, the chef!

I agree that sticky toffee pudding would be great.

How about cannoli?

I vote gingerbread. FWIW, Chez Piggy's gingerbread is about the best ever (though I often make it without the chocolate, and I substitute espresso powder for the instant coffee). The recipe here is adapted from The Chez Piggy Cookbook. The original recipe calls for individual loaf pans.

http://www.swallowfood.com/a-recipe-for-all-your-ginger-cravings/

The real question is why anyone would ruin ice cream with eggnog???? EWWW!! LOL.

Oh....and I hate eggnog, lol. Carry on.

I always thought I hated eggnog, but then realized that, like a McDonald's hamburger can't be considered a "real" hamburger, the mess that comes in a carton can't really be considered eggnog.

If you haven't already, maybe give a good homemade version a try? It's better than I thought it'd be!

I dunno...(sigh). I really want to have a warm component to the dish, with a scoop of that lovely ice cream just beginning to melt on top. It's rainy rainy rainy here, and I don't feel like ice cream is super seasonally appropriate on it's own, even if the flavor is totally holiday, kwim?

I always thought I hated eggnog, but then realized that, like a McDonald's hamburger can't be considered a "real" hamburger, the mess that comes in a carton can't really be considered eggnog.

If you haven't already, maybe give a good homemade version a try? It's better than I thought it'd be!

Okay....maybe, but I think I best wait until next year when the risk of starting a puke-fest is less, lol!

I dunno...(sigh). I really want to have a warm component to the dish, with a scoop of that lovely ice cream just beginning to melt on top. It's rainy rainy rainy here, and I don't feel like ice cream is super seasonally appropriate on it's own, even if the flavor is totally holiday, kwim?

If you want to go full-out decadent, what about warming up something like gingerbread with a good bit of rum sauce (buttered or not) and serving the ice cream on top? Sticky toffee pudding was a good idea too.

There you go - WARM cookies! Oatmeal? Gingersnaps?

There you go - WARM cookies! Oatmeal? Large bar-type warm oatmeal cookie under the ice cream....

Hmmm...now I'm thinking really simple, elegant cookies or tiny cakes. Maybe a hazelnut sable? Or a mocha financier, if you want a little more chocolate...

Some other ideas:

You could make lacy chocolate boxes to serve the ice cream in

I think eggnog ice cream could be lovely in an ice cream roll.

Eggnog Ice Cream Pie with carmelized rum sauce:

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=eggnog+ice+cream+roll&start=365&um=1&hl=en&tbo=d&biw=1156&bih=735&tbm=isch&tbnid=GRdaHaQhVnywVM:&imgrefurl=http://gemusings.wordpress.com/page/3/&docid=S1IGQVQRBQMdAM&imgurl=http://gemusings.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/dsc00583.jpg%253Fw%253D630&w=630&h=472&ei=6mm-UNf_F_PryAHK0YDAAQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=2&vpy=193&dur=46&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=110&ty=88&sig=114714843421399816880&page=13&tbnh=142&tbnw=194&ndsp=31&ved=1t:429,r:77,s:300,i:235