Menu

Crossing the Tiber - The Master Thread

Parrothead

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't posted on here since the new boards, but I was a part of the old Social Group. I wanted to ask you all if it is normal to get "cold feet" during the RCIA process. I believe in everything being taught, but right not I'm feeling a little scared and unprepared for the future. To be quite honest I'm probably just getting nervous about telling friends, family, and church about our journey (dh and I have kept quiet so far). It is hard to think of letting go of our current church. Any advice or just prayers that you ladies have to offer is greatly appreciated.

Robin

I haven't posted on here since the new boards, but I was a part of the old Social Group. I wanted to ask you all if it is normal to get "cold feet" during the RCIA process. I believe in everything being taught, but right not I'm feeling a little scared and unprepared for the future. To be quite honest I'm probably just getting nervous about telling friends, family, and church about our journey (dh and I have kept quiet so far). It is hard to think of letting go of our current church. Any advice or just prayers that you ladies have to offer is greatly appreciated.

Robin

Prayers, and my best advice is to find a ministry at the parish you'll be in and get as involved as you can. St. Vincent de Paul, Altar Guild, even just pitching in to clean the church on Saturday mornings. It's harder to leave a community when you haven't yet gotten your feet under you in the new one.

Thanks to you ladies I prayed the rosary this morning for the first time in I dont know how long, I'm going to shoot for doing it the whole 54 or through to Easter. forgive the typos doing this on my nook screen keyboard which is a whole lot more difficult since a touch typist for eons. Found a great website this morning virtualrosary.org which had a pdf of all the prayers and mysteries etc including a virtual rosary. Very neat. And now ive reached the part where i can no longer see what im typing so have a blessed day.

(((Elizabeth)))

I understand what you are saying. Since I was little, I know God, He was with me from a very young age. I was plucked out of the RC, and yet I know God. I have wandered for thirty years in shallow wells calling themselves 'church', yet I still know God. All I seek is God. I love His word and encourage you to keep reading it and studying it, where ever you go or end up. I go back and forth between thinking 'church' is the universal body of believers to there has to be A church somewhere. Do you have a rosary? Do you spend some time daily in prayer? Have you ever sat in church for adoration? He is there. I feel it when I walk in. Talk to him.

...from your sister in Christ

One of the Sisters at our parish offers these 3 week classes for mothers on how to incorporate the faith into the home. This current session in on prayer. She passed out this great handout on HOW to pray. We talked about Lectio Divina. If anyone is interested, I can scan it in and upload here.

One of the Sisters at our parish offers these 3 week classes for mothers on how to incorporate the faith into the home. This current session in on prayer. She passed out this great handout on HOW to pray. We talked about Lectio Divina. If anyone is interested, I can scan it in and upload here.

I think it is pretty safe to say we are interested. :coolgleamA:

Robin

I think it is very normal. Last year, several members of our RCIA class got pretty nervous as Easter approached. (Everyone was joyous afterward!) It is a big decision to make, and one that is not always well-received by loved ones. I agree with the previous advice to get involved at your parish and begin to get to know some parishioners. A support system can really help before and after entering the Church. Also, I would definitely try to get some extra prayer time in front of the Blessed Sacrament. Praying in front of the Blessed Sacrament always brings a sense of peace that I don't find anywhere else. And it doesn't hurt to say some extra prayers to your patron saint, if you are choosing one, and your guardian angel to help provide extra grace and protection from any spiritual attack.

I have been avoiding posting this. But here it goes...

I have decided not to be Confirmed in the Catholic Church. The Church is beautiful. I love the Sacraments, and Liturgy, the Papal office, and the Early Church Fathers. I love the Saints and the beautiful statues and stained glass windows. But, I can not on good conscience be Confirmed in the Church.

For years, I have been struggling with my belief in God. I believe in a Higher Power, a Force of some kind. But I cannot say I believe about the Divine what Christians must believe by definition, to be a Christian.

To be honest, it is a relief to finally admit that I do not fit into the Christian framework of any kind. I am really okay with it. I will miss the comfort that the Church brought with its structure, but I know it is best for me to learn where I really belong, if anywhere.

I appreciate everyone's help and patience and kindness. I will never forget how welcoming and warm the Catholic Church was to me.

Hugs and prayers.

Robin

I was terrified because the flack from my family was going to be epic. And it was. My brother asked if I was still a Christian. :glare: But I survived it. Many of my old church friends are totally stupefied and don't even ask...then, when it comes up, they are all, "Why? What? How? what were you thinking????" :D I mean, in some circles, it's akin to saying you've become a satanist. But they get confused, because they know me.

It's been interesting. Letting myself become enveloped by our parish though has helped.

hugs AND prayers.

Thank you all so much for your kind words and support. I really think once we let the news out and actually start to face the fall out, I will feel better. Sometimes, for me the fear of the unknown is the worst. I'm definitely trying to spend more time in prayer. A big reason for my decision to convert right now is my love for Mary. As my devotion to her grows, it becomes harder and harder to hide. There is pretty much no way to be Protestant and fully love Mary. I really feel that she is helping and guiding me along this journey. If any of you have any advice on how to pick a saint, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you all so much for your kind words and support. I really think once we let the news out and actually start to face the fall out, I will feel better. Sometimes, for me the fear of the unknown is the worst. I'm definitely trying to spend more time in prayer. A big reason for my decision to convert right now is my love for Mary. As my devotion to her grows, it becomes harder and harder to hide. There is pretty much no way to be Protestant and fully love Mary. I really feel that she is helping and guiding me along this journey. If any of you have any advice on how to pick a saint, I would really appreciate it.

Read about the saints' lives and pray about it. Are there any particular ones who attract you, inspire you? Do have any particular interests? My dd age 21 is a pianist and chose St. Cecilia as her confirmation saint, because she is the patron saint of musicians. Out oldest daughter chose St. Catherine of Siena just because she loves her, and now Catherine is part of her religious name. Dd age 17 chose St. Eulalia from a book of saints because she was a courageous young martyr even in the face of horribly cruel, gruesome torture.

I totally understand your Protestant friends not getting it. We cradle Catholics are not immune to that! When my mother died, I mentioned to some of the other (mostly Baptist) basketball moms from dd's team that I had sung a song at her funeral. "You did? Which song?" "Ave Maria." Blank stare accompanied by awkward silence.

Most of the time, you don't pick a saint; a saint picks you. If you listen and look around, there is probably a saint that will strike you as THE saint. It will be someone you have a lot in common with, share common interests with, have seen in pictures for years without really recognizing. It is kind of like a regular friendship.

No one can pick for you, but just to get you started, I would go with your love of Mary and take a look at saints with a great devotion to her. And ask Mary to help guide you there. St. Alphonsus Ligouri, St. Louis de Montfort, St. Catherine Laboure, and St. Dominic might be good places to start there. Take a look at any devotions you have and then who started them for more ideas (an example would be St. Faustina and the Chaplet of Divine Mercy). Or prayers that resound with you and see who wrote them. Some people pick based on their professions or hobbies, like choosing St. Joseph for a carpenter or St. Elizabeth Ann Seton as a mother and convert. In the end it is personal, and there are so many saints that I guarantee there is one out there whose story will appeal to you.

St. Teresa of Avila chose me. I don't know why. But I first encountered her in a picture of Bernini's statue of her in an art history class in college, before I was Catholic. She has followed me around ever since. I would see her image or hear her words in places unexpected. When I was ready to really search for God, I stumbled on the mini-series about her on EWTN, just flipping channels. That began my journey into the Church. I can't explain the connection, because she and I don't have a lot in common on the surface. She is a great mystic, and I am not. I don't think I would have chosen her if I was looking at it as a research project. But looking back, she has just been there, and she was the perfect choice for me.

As a side note, I found a great article on devotion to Mary by Fr. Hardon, whom I love:

http://www.catholiceducation.org/articles/religion/re0943.htm

I have been avoiding posting this. But here it goes...

I have decided not to be Confirmed in the Catholic Church. The Church is beautiful. I love the Sacraments, and Liturgy, the Papal office, and the Early Church Fathers. I love the Saints and the beautiful statues and stained glass windows. But, I can not on good conscience be Confirmed in the Church.

For years, I have been struggling with my belief in God. I believe in a Higher Power, a Force of some kind. But I cannot say I believe about the Divine what Christians must believe by definition, to be a Christian.

To be honest, it is a relief to finally admit that I do not fit into the Christian framework of any kind. I am really okay with it. I will miss the comfort that the Church brought with its structure, but I know it is best for me to learn where I really belong, if anywhere.

I appreciate everyone's help and patience and kindness. I will never forget how welcoming and warm the Catholic Church was to me.

Elizabeth, thank you for honestly sharing that. Please know that you are always welcome here. God bless you! {{{hugs}}}

There is nothing wrong with picking Mary. If you have a favorite "Our Lady of..." You can go with that or simply the BVM.

I have to tell you all about an experience I had a few days ago! As you all know, I live in a not-very Catholic area. Whenever a new Catholic church has been built in the last 20 years or so, the tabernacle has not been put in the main church. When dh and I moved to this area, the church we attended was a gorgeous stone church with tons of stained glass windows, a crying room right up by the altar, the tabernacle behind the altar, the whole nine yards. Problem was that it was too small. They were holding a bunch of masses each weekend, with an overflow section for the biggest mass. Yes, a new church was needed. There was not really room to expand. We were there through the planning process (and I will refrain from telling you the horror stories of ignoring parishioners' wants and needs!) and then the church that was finally built used ONE stained glass window from the old church and always struck me as a big empty barn. Of course the tabernacle was now in a small chapel off the main lobby and not in the church. I couldn't really attend Mass there without remembering the old beautiful church and the process to build this one. (Oh, and they didn't even keep the old church. They sold the land and it was torn down and a McMansion was built there. Yes, the church where some of my children made the sacraments no longer exists. Sad.) Shortly after that, we moved to the country and began attending another church, but I did occasionally attend the first church because we still did a lot in that town. But I always thought it was ugly. The last time I went to church there a few years ago, I got a headache from the annoying architecture and just haven't wanted to go back.

I drive by this church taking my dd to ballet. I always make the sign of the Cross when going by. On this day, I felt all of a sudden like Jesus was calling me to come in. Daily Mass had just started; I took my dd to ballet and hurried back. I came in as quietly as I could and then took a seat in the back. I felt wonderful and as I looked around, I thought, it looks so beautiful in here! I was perplexed and wondered what had changed, and as I looked around, I realized that there was a tabernacle behind the altar now.

We got a much more orthodox bishop a while ago, and he told the churches in the diocese that they must move the tabernacle and provided funds to do so. This was done a few years ago at the church we now attend, but it hadn't occurred to me that it would have happened in this other church, and I just couldn't believe the incredible difference it made! A church that I always thought was like a big, ugly, empty barn now looked beautiful! That is Jesus!

Septuagesima Sunday

By the traditional Catholic calendar, today is Septuagesima Sunday, or the seventieth Sunday before Easter, by the same liturgical arithmetic that makes next Sunday to be sixty days before Easter, and Lent to be forty days long if you squint slightly and hold your breath. :D In some masses, the Alleluia and Gloria disappear and liturgical violet appears.

For all of us, this is a good time to firm up our plans for Lent. If one plans to follow the traditional fast, it's a good time to start cutting back - maybe this is the week to end sweets and snacks. Maybe that extra cost can go to the poor. Now is a good time to get to confession, before the lines get long. I keep intending to make a nightly examination of conscience, but instead fall into bed and go right to sleep - I think this is the week to get serious and set aside a firm time for it. What about all those lovely New Year's resolutions - what happened to that daily rosary, Violet? Septuagesima welcomes us back to our good intentions. Are we giving up the internet for Lent? Shall we start with a time limit now, or by cutting out certain sites? (Not this thread, of course! :) ) What's been coming out of our mouths, or off of our keyboards, recently - who needs to be apologized to?

Time to warm up and do some stretches. Let's dust off the lamps and find the oil can.

We are in the process of raising funds to move our tabernacle back into the sanctuary. Our actual sanctuary is placed so that you walk through it to enter, making me feel like I am walking on the altar. Oh, ugly 80s architecture and weird ideas about community! The horror! Lol. But I am used to it. Still wish it were more traditional. But I actually do love our community enough to overlook it. And our priest is wonderful and orthodox now.

For all of us, this is a good time to firm up our plans for Lent. If one plans to follow the traditional fast, it's a good time to start cutting back -

Bite your tongue!!! :tongue_smilie: (I give up all alcohol and go strict Atkins for Lent + a little more, which means I start Feb. 1 this year. Let me have my last few days! :cheers2: )

I guess I'm a Cold Turkey kind of gal.

I just told dh that we needed to start talking at dinner times about the upcoming Lenten season. Last year (our first), we did a different thing each week as a family (plus dh and I also both had our own Lenten sacrifice). It worked really well - odd weeks were giving something up; even weeks were adding something positive (which ended up limiting time for things that weren't as good). I think we'll follow the same basic pattern this year, though ds11 has mentioned he wants to choose his own personal sacrifice (I'm not sure if he thinks in addition to what we do as a family or in lieu of what we do as a family ;) ).

I have to tell you all about an experience I had a few days ago!...We got a much more orthodox bishop a while ago, and he told the churches in the diocese that they must move the tabernacle and provided funds to do so. This was done a few years ago at the church we now attend, but it hadn't occurred to me that it would have happened in this other church, and I just couldn't believe the incredible difference it made! A church that I always thought was like a big, ugly, empty barn now looked beautiful! That is Jesus!

What a great story!! Thank you for sharing it!

We got a much more orthodox bishop a while ago, and he told the churches in the diocese that they must move the tabernacle and provided funds to do so. This was done a few years ago at the church we now attend, but it hadn't occurred to me that it would have happened in this other church, and I just couldn't believe the incredible difference it made! A church that I always thought was like a big, ugly, empty barn now looked beautiful! That is Jesus!

That's amazing! Apparently before I joined, we got a very orthodox bishop who required the same. I hear it was his first order.

Our church is very old, so it was always behind the altar, but I've been in a few where it was off to the side and you are right, it is quite disconcerting.

Septuagesima Sunday

By the traditional Catholic calendar, today is Septuagesima Sunday, or the seventieth Sunday before Easter, by the same liturgical arithmetic that makes next Sunday to be sixty days before Easter, and Lent to be forty days long if you squint slightly and hold your breath. :D In some masses, the Alleluia and Gloria disappear and liturgical violet appears.

For all of us, this is a good time to firm up our plans for Lent. If one plans to follow the traditional fast, it's a good time to start cutting back - maybe this is the week to end sweets and snacks. Maybe that extra cost can go to the poor. Now is a good time to get to confession, before the lines get long. I keep intending to make a nightly examination of conscience, but instead fall into bed and go right to sleep - I think this is the week to get serious and set aside a firm time for it. What about all those lovely New Year's resolutions - what happened to that daily rosary, Violet? Septuagesima welcomes us back to our good intentions. Are we giving up the internet for Lent? Shall we start with a time limit now, or by cutting out certain sites? (Not this thread, of course! :) ) What's been coming out of our mouths, or off of our keyboards, recently - who needs to be apologized to?

Time to warm up and do some stretches. Let's dust off the lamps and find the oil can.

Man, I still have trees up! I do, but this has been on my mind. I LOVE Lent. Advent is about preparation, but with the Nativity it's so different, you know?

We've decided the TV will be off every day until 7 pm, we give up all sugar, we add in more reconciliations. That nightly examination of conscience is such a good idea, and I always forget!

Like the Christcrib, I have a crown and we use toothpicks for thorns. we put 40 thorns in for each child, and every day, they are to do one kind thing, and then they can take a thorn out of the crown.

Bite your tongue!!! :tongue_smilie: (I give up all alcohol and go strict Atkins for Lent + a little more, which means I start Feb. 1 this year. Let me have my last few days! :cheers2: )

I guess I'm a Cold Turkey kind of gal.

I'm a cold turkey, type, too.

Anyone have any good recommendations for books (or anything) regarding Lent? Thanks!

I've heard that Magnificat has put out a lent booklet for about 4 bucks, the e-book is 99 cents. People have been saying it's great.

We got to march at a pro-life rally this past weekend at our state's capitol. Started off with mass at the cathedral there with our RC friends. I thought there would be more people at mass but there was a bigger church where mass was said by the bishop of our diocese. At least I got to here him speak at the rally. It was very positive. Sad that our local tv stations called it an anti-abortion rally...they are going to get a letter from me.

Whew, I think I am caught up now!

I was inspired reading about everyone's patron saints. I will never know why Mother Teresa chose me, but I believe she did (that feels so weird to claim intimacy with such amazing people, coming from a protestant background so I am hesitant to do so but she is the sole reason I looked into the Church).

When you pray or say a prayer for people, what is your normal means of doing so? As a protestant I always cherished just talking to God throughout the day and I still do that, but I feel like I should be adding in more formal prayers.

I also have to say that I love making the sign of the cross and do it almost obsessively, lol, and I pray to St. Michael often throughout the day. I feel very close to him (again, that feels weird for me to admit) and we will be naming our child in utero after him. :)

When you pray or say a prayer for people, what is your normal means of doing so? As a protestant I always cherished just talking to God throughout the day and I still do that, but I feel like I should be adding in more formal prayers.

If you are already in the habit of frequent, prayerful spiritual communion, don't change it. IMHO.

Whew, I think I am caught up now!

I was inspired reading about everyone's patron saints. I will never know why Mother Teresa chose me, but I believe she did (that feels so weird to claim intimacy with such amazing people, coming from a protestant background so I am hesitant to do so but she is the sole reason I looked into the Church).

When I am praying for people, I will just take it directly to God. I might also say a prayer to a special patron saint depending on what it is I'm praying for. I also try to pray the Hail Mary and Glory Be every night.

I love St. Anthony, he is special for our family. I prayed to him when my ds8 was hospitalized after his birth, and I believe his recovery was miraculous, though there is no way to prove it. The doctors said they have no idea why he turned around, but that doesn't necessarily mean there isn't a medical explanation. But I prefer to believe it was a miracle :).

If you want a more formal prayer, I love the Angelus, which is ancient. Of course, you can never go wrong with a daily rosary, which is something I've been neglecting lately but need to get back on track with, especially with Lent coming up.

Quick question. I know someone up thread recommended Magnificat for Kids. What about Magnificat for adults? I'm placing an order for the kid magazine and was wondering if the other might be a good idea for us as well.

Did you order the adult version of Magnificat? We are remodeling and while going through stuff, I found an issue from last year I think. I got it free somewhere. If you would like it, pm me and I'll send it to you.

Did you order the adult version of Magnificat? We are remodeling and while going through stuff, I found an issue from last year I think. I got it free somewhere. If you would like it, pm me and I'll send it to you.

You can also request a free trial copy from Magnificat directly.

Sorry I have been so inconsistent in participating in this thread. I never did finish the Forming Intentional Disciples book! Still on my to do list. But I just wanted to pop in and wish everyone a blessed memorial of St. John Bosco! I woke up this a.m. feeling rather gloomy but then I saw that today is his memorial. I was lucky enough to see his relics when they were touring a couple years. For a while I called our homeschool Bosco Academy. I feel such deep affection for this saint. St. John Bosco, pray for us!