Menu

Crossing the Tiber - The Master Thread

Parrothead

Yeah. I've told it a few times. It's my most embarassing Mass story. I keep hoping that one of these days I'll be able to laugh about it ...

I guess that's not true because there was the time DD was 5 and went to the bathroom by herself and managed to walk THROUGH the baptismal font at the back of the church on her way back to me. When she got back to the pew she was soaking wet from the knees down. That was pretty embarassing too.

How is it that kids manage to do the most embarrassing things in church? My dd was probably 4 at the time and I took her to the grand re-opening of the Cathedral which had just been remodeled. She immediately ran straight to the baptismal font (pool) and threw in a coin. I was so embarrassed and hoped no one noticed. Then the next week my BIL told me they had put up a sign asking people not to throw coins in the baptismal font :blushing: Obviously some other people had gotten the idea from her. Oh yeah, and the time my ds started eating crackers 5 minutes before he was supposed to receive his FIRST communion (Me: spit them out, spit them out!). I have lots of stories.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah. I've told it a few times. It's my most embarassing Mass story. I keep hoping that one of these days I'll be able to laugh about it ...

I guess that's not true because there was the time DD was 5 and went to the bathroom by herself and managed to walk THROUGH the baptismal font at the back of the church on her way back to me. When she got back to the pew she was soaking wet from the knees down. That was pretty embarassing too.

Sorry, but..... :laugh: :lol: :smilielol5: It's hilarious now, but I'd have been squirming in my seat of embarrassment along with you!

I read the whole thing . I just have a really hard time with the go to scandal stuff and the " maybe the church will finally wake up and change to the modern thought." Um...morality does not change with democratic consensus. To think God would change to our pitiful thought of moral behavior is laughable to me.

Tell it, sister!

Hi all! I was so surprised about Pope Benedict's resigning too and got disheartened reading through the Pope resigning thread. Haters gotta hate. But I agree with OrdinaryTime that to me it seems like a humble thing to do. I applaud him for daring to be different because he feels called to resign. My own dad died at the age of 85 and he was so weak and sick at the end. So I honor the Pope's decision. I am really curious about the new Pope. I kinda hope it will be somebody from Africa or South America. But God's will be done!

I am planning to start back up with saying the rosary daily in Lent. I also plan to go to the Stations of the Cross every Friday. I only made it once last Lent. Our big sacrifice though is our diet because we are going to try to go gluten and casein free and that's going to be so very hard for us that it feels very sacrificial! Do you all ever do Lenten reading? I am going to try to discipline myself to read Christianity and Classical Culture. It probably isn't really meditative reading but I splurged and spent money on it and I don't want it to be another big tome gathering dust on my shelf!

Anyway, I always get weirdly excited about Lent! I always feel closer to God at this time. I think because I tend to get rather down after Christmas (or even before) but then my mood always lifts when Lent comes around.

First, prayers for OT's Dad!

Second, I think I have definitive proof embodied in one thing that God and the Devil exists. And, I think it is something RCs, EOs, Episcopalians, Anglicans and Lutherans can all get behind.

Butternut Squash.

It's truly a spiritual thing for me to "spaghetti" it up. (Seeing God's imagination!)

It's truly hell on earth to try to keep my fingerprints during said process. (That dern Devil!)

My parents always sat in the front pew. Always. Even when we were on vacation at a strange church. As a teenager I was mortified :eek:

As a parent I ALWAYS sit in the front :lol: Except for on vacation----then I remember my teenaged self and sit us somewhere in the front third of the church :D

Actually, it's really hard for me to sit in the front at our church. I keep seeing my parents with us (we would meet for Mass and go to breakfast after starting when DS was born)----and Mom died in November 2009, Dad in October 2011. Sometimes I make it all the way through the Eucharistic Prayer before I start to cry. So hard.

My parents always sat in the front pew. Always. Even when we were on vacation at a strange church. As a teenager I was mortified :eek:

As a parent I ALWAYS sit in the front :lol: Except for on vacation----then I remember my teenaged self and sit us somewhere in the front third of the church :D

Actually, it's really hard for me to sit in the front at our church. I keep seeing my parents with us (we would meet for Mass and go to breakfast after starting when DS was born)----and Mom died in November 2009, Dad in October 2011. Sometimes I make it all the way through the Eucharistic Prayer before I start to cry. So hard.

I sit closest to the cry room stairs. Unfortunately (fortunately) for us, Father L makes us move to the center because the evening Mass isn't crowded and he wants us to be close. Kills my cry room escape plans :D

I'm sorry going to mass makes your sad. I can't imagine. *hugs*

(((Hugs))) that must be really hard for you.

We try and sit within the first 2 rows. Luckily, the way the church is set up, there aren't really any "bad" spots. Father can see what you are doing from almost anywhere. :p DS seems to do pretty well in Mass. He'll follow along in his Magnifikid booklet. DD however is a wiggle worm. I have 3 or 4 kids bibles or saint books I bring with me and she'll flip through those. She usually spends the last third of Mass on my lap trying to play with my earrings. *Most* of the time now, she stays pretty quiet. They love going up for a blessing, although DS complains every week about not getting communion.

For Lent, I think I'll be giving up sweets. Tomorrow we'll have a family discussion to figure out what to do together. I'm going to try and pray a decade of the Rosary with the kids every day, and also to pray the Angelus at lunch every day. Personally, I'm going to do the entire Rosary daily and will be removing FB from my phone.

DH seems to be on board with all of this. I'm going to continue to give him space and let him come to the faith on his own. Sunday was definitely a wonderful encouragement for me in that regard.

I would appreciate if anyone would offer a quick prayer for my dad. He had an outpatient surgery today, but the doctors are not happy with how he is doing and are keeping him in the hospital. Thanks.

Of course. Prayinig now.

I just had a really good thought. What if we get a totally awesome (in a spirtual sense :)) Pope next. Just because I liked the last two doesn't mean I won't love this next one too. Now I'm beginning to feel excited. There's so many good canidates. I don't know how the CoC can pick one.

(((Hugs))) that must be really hard for you.

We try and sit within the first 2 rows. Luckily, the way the church is set up, there aren't really any "bad" spots. Father can see what you are doing from almost anywhere. :p DS seems to do pretty well in Mass. He'll follow along in his Magnifikid booklet. DD however is a wiggle worm. I have 3 or 4 kids bibles or saint books I bring with me and she'll flip through those. She usually spends the last third of Mass on my lap trying to play with my earrings. *Most* of the time now, she stays pretty quiet. They love going up for a blessing, although DS complains every week about not getting communion.

For Lent, I think I'll be giving up sweets. Tomorrow we'll have a family discussion to figure out what to do together. I'm going to try and pray a decade of the Rosary with the kids every day, and also to pray the Angelus at lunch every day. Personally, I'm going to do the entire Rosary daily and will be removing FB from my phone.

DH seems to be on board with all of this. I'm going to continue to give him space and let him come to the faith on his own. Sunday was definitely a wonderful encouragement for me in that regard.

I'm giving up sweets too. It'll be hard because I'm a total sugar addict. It will take God to help me through it.

Faithr - I love Stations of the Cross too and am planning to go every Friday I'm in town.

Can you imagine all the clandestine politicking going on right now? This was so out of the blue for the CofC. I don't think they were prepared. It will probably be a very short period between Feb 28 and the white smoke.

I hope so. The suspense about killed me last time. I wonder if Pope Benedict has anyone in mind.

Hugs. We sit in the same pew every week with my parents now. It is difficult to think about them not being with us. My mom is waiting to get a date for heart surgery. I can't even think about it without crying.

Hello all-

I'm very sorry for the news about Pope Benedict. I was stunned when I read the headlines this morning.

I hope you don't mind my asking an off topic question...

I have been exploring Catholism since the Fall and though I can't participate in the eucharist I've been attending mass regularly;

which has been lovely though unexpected for me (I come from a born again/non-denominationall background).

Anyhow, I'm wondering with Ash Wed. coming up if I am able to participate in receiving the ashes. And is it done at the ame time as going up to receive communion or is it separate? I'd love to know more of what to expect.

Thanks!

Hello all-

I'm very sorry for the news about Pope Benedict. I was stunned when I read the headlines this morning.

I have been exploring Catholism since the Fall and though I can't participate in the eucharist I've been attending mass regularly;

which has been lovely though unexpected for me (I come from a born again/non-denominationall background).

Anyhow, I'm wondering with Ash Wed. coming up if I am able to participate in receiving the ashes. And is it done at the ame time as going up to receive communion or is it separate? I'd love to know more of what to expect.

Thanks!

My DH always gets ashes and he's not Catholic. He goes to Mass with us but hasn't taken that next step to convert yet. In my parish we do communion at the regular time and ashes at the end of the Mass.

Thanks for the heads up about the other threads talking about the Pope. I won't be reading them no matter how curious I am. Not good for the soul. I respect him a great deal, love his books and how he discusses theology of the bible. Surprised by the announcement but understand his decision. Will continue to read his books and perhaps he'll write a few in retirement - the modern day Thomas Merton.

I read the Pope's book on Creation, which I believe was written before he was Pope. What would you recommend next? And did he write any books while Pope?

I'm sure I could try looking it up, but your book suggestions are so wonderful! :)

Hello all-

Thanks!

It is normally done separately from Eucharist. You should be just fine receiving ashes. This explains the tradition. If you have other questions please ask.

Will you be received into the church this Easter Vigil?

:grouphug:

Hello all-

Thanks!

Yes, you can receive ashes. Last year was our first Ash Wednesday mass (and it was just the kids and I as we went during the day and dd - 1 at the time - spit up on the pew when we stood at some part and the woman behind me had to point it out before I sat back down and then she - dd not the woman behind me - kicked off her shoe under the pew and the same woman picked it up for me; I guess I have a couple embarrassing stories of my own!). All of us received ashes. Dh is going with us this year though he's not sure if he will go up for ashes or not, though I've explained to him that it's completely okay for him to do so.

Many blessings to you on your journey! :)

I read the Pope's book on Creation, which I believe was written before he was Pope. What would you recommend next? And did he write any books while Pope?

I'm sure I could try looking it up, but your book suggestions are so wonderful! :)

I'm reading his Jesus of Nazareth: The Infancy Narratives right now; I'm almost done and have really enjoyed the book. I know I'll eventually have to reread it a few times to really grasp it all. I am debating getting his book on the Holy Week to read during Lent. I find his writing very approachable yet very deep.

I'm reading his Jesus of Nazareth: The Infancy Narratives right now; I'm almost done and have really enjoyed the book. I know I'll eventually have to reread it a few times to really grasp it all. I am debating getting his book on the Holy Week to read during Lent. I find his writing very approachable yet very deep.

I found his Creation book (series of homilies) very deep as well. Not sure if I would be better served choosing something a little easier for the start of Lent and then graduating to one of those you mentioned.

Does anyone have a"lighter" reflective book to start Lent?

So, dh and I finalized Lent. Now I just need to put it on our little calendar print-out and post it on the chalkboard. :) And if anyone is interested, these are the verses we are memorizing over Lent as a family (either from the RSV 2nd Catholic Ed. or the NAB Revised Ed.):

Numbers 6:24-26

Psalm 23 (all of it)

Psalm 118:24

Psalm 143:8

Matthew 22:36-40

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

There are many others we will do eventually, but for reasons I cannot even remember right now, we narrowed in on those. :lol: Seriously, two Bibles and "The Catholic Child's Teaching Bible" between the two of us, verses were flying left and right. I think I'll table John 1:1-4 that the boys and I just begun and maybe make it the first one we work on after Easter. I also eventually want us to memorize some good apologetics verses, but for now we are focusing on ones that help shape us as God followers and ones that can bring comfort, reassurance, and strengthen us.

Here is what might be a dumb question: Who exactly is in the running to become Pope? People are saying who they hope or think it might be, but how does one qualify to be considered?

Basically any male Catholic can be pope. There is debate on married or not. St. Peter was married so there is a very strong precedence.

Generally the pope is elected from the College of Cardinals - the guys in the red/pink beanies (What are those things called? Anyone?)

I believe I read there are currently 118 cardinals eligible for the position of pope. Only those cardinals under the age of 80 are allowed to vote.

:grouphug:

I found his Creation book (series of homilies) very deep as well. Not sure if I would be better served choosing something a little easier for the start of Lent and then graduating to one of those you mentioned.

Does anyone have a"lighter" reflective book to start Lent?

I have the Magnificat Lenten 2013 booklet that I'm hoping to make a nightly reading event. It was only $0.99 for the Kindle (I uploaded it to the Kindle app on the iPad). What about a book about or by a saint? Sometime this year I want to read St. Terese's Story of a Soul and from what I've read/heard, it would be a fantastic book for reflection/meditation.

I just have to post something very cool here: My son is in his senior year at a private classical school. He has been there this year and last. The school has a trip to Rome every three years...and it is THIS YEAR. He gets to go to Rome, something we always had hoped for when we started this classical journey in Kindergarten.

Well, guess what: it is possible that he will be there when they select the next Pope. How cool is that!????

I sent mail to the sponsoring teacher: Be sure the hotel reservations are solid!!!!

I'm totally jealous. You know there will be parties Catho style. :)

My most embarassing Mass story (I think): two years ago on Ash Wednesday my two year old inexplicable started shouting, "I want meat!" It was 8:30 in the morning. He'd had breakfast and, of course, our kids don't fast. Sigh.

Welcome and hello. Feel free to ask if you have questions.

It really wouldn't be much different if he were to die suddenly. But the whole resigning thing hasn't been done in centuries so it is new.

We are living through tomorrow's history. It is comforting to know there will be continuity. At the same time there is sadness in seeing Benedict leave. And yet excitement that he will be able to end his days as he wishes.

So, dh just told me that apart from Celestine V, it's NEVER been done. People are talking about a time in the 14th century but that was during a period of upheaval (to make a long story short) when we had three popes at once. After the Council of Basel, they all stepped down so that one new one could be legitimately elected. So not really the same thing at all. Interesting.

Celestine V is widely venerated as a saint . . . but Dante had him in hell for abdicating. Not AT ALL to cast aspersions on the Holy Father. Just, interesting.

Why do you think he didn't choose to go through Lent with us all? The only thing I could think of would be the beginning of his papacy would be at Easter time.

I think because Lent is a great time for extra prayer and penance. What better time for a conclave, right? And a new pope for Easter--can't fit THAT in a basket :)

Basically any male Catholic can be pope. There is debate on married or not. St. Peter was married so there is a very strong precedence.

Generally the pope is elected from the College of Cardinals - the guys in the red/pink beanies (What are those things called? Anyone?)

I believe I read there are currently 118 cardinals eligible for the position of pope. Only those cardinals under the age of 80 are allowed to vote.

zucchetto is the name for the hat.

Catholic trivia geeks unite :cool:

I was about to say, no, the zucchetto is the skullcap-y thing that goes under a biretta (or miter).

Looks like we thought she was referring to different headgear.

Speaking of, I say bring back the galero!

I thought the cardinals still wore galeros. (or is it galeri?)

I don't know that I'll actually be able to correctly pronounce these garmets that you are telling me about. I will award 5 extra credit points in Latin to whomever makes a youtube video showing pictures of these items with their name and correct pronunciation.

So tonight when we were saying our evening prayers, DS says he wants to dedicate his to Pope B16. He wanted to pray that he would get better quickly so that he could get back to "Pope-ing." :D After I stopped giggling, I explained that he would not be Pope-ing anymore. DH and I had a good chucle about that when he got home.

BTW-is it Pope-ing? Poping? Popeing? It just looks wrong the 2nd and 3rd way. Of course, it's also not actually a word....