Menu

Book a Week in 2012 - Week 48

wow, this is the coolest thread! I am now going to have to look for your threads from previous weeks to get ideas. Will you continue on next year and start a new book-a-week tradition? I would love to join!

Hi Marie! So glad you found us. Yes, we are going to continue for 2013. Every Sunday I post a book a week thread to discuss our reads. Each thread links back to the week before so have fun perusing the threads. They go back three or four years.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had wondered if we were moving to the "chat" board -- we are both educational and chatty so fit in either, I suppose. But I'm comfy anywhere in the WTM virutal living room, having moved with the reformatting of the boards 3 times now. Anyone else here around from the very beginning?

I now have a growing TBR pile on my iPad. Amazon keeps putting interesting Kindle edition titles on sale and I'm buying those instead of taking care of my Christmas shopping list! Todays temptation were Song of Achilles (which I wouldn't have wanted to read if I hadn't read Homer with the kiddos - an example of the education/chat overlap) and a Sword at Sunset by Rosmary Sutcliff.

I had wondered if we were moving to the "chat" board -- we are both educational and chatty so fit in either, I suppose. But I'm comfy anywhere in the WTM virutal living room, having moved with the reformatting of the boards 3 times now. Anyone else here around from the very beginning?

I now have a growing TBR pile on my iPad. Amazon keeps putting interesting Kindle edition titles on sale and I'm buying those instead of taking care of my Christmas shopping list! Todays temptation were Song of Achilles (which I wouldn't have wanted to read if I hadn't read Homer with the kiddos - an example of the education/chat overlap) and a Sword at Sunset by Rosmary Sutcliff.

Off to shop.... You all are bad for my budget!!!

Just finished Kate Morton's The Secret Keeper. It was slow going at first but by the final chapters I realized I was enjoying it very much.

51vG7xTXHCL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I'm half way through this book...I keep wanting to quit. Usually I devour books within a few days and I've been sitting on this one for 3 weeks now! I want to know the story .. but oh my gracious .. it's so slow.

Recently completed

#132 The Silver Linings Playbook (Matthew Quick; fiction)

Between and during numerous appointments today, I read Quick's debut novel, which features a likable if troubled narrator. The story was both sad and sweet but not too much of either. More, the characters who served as Pat's support system were good people. Recommended.

#131 The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Agatha Christie; fiction)

A reread, this time with the Misses. *possible spoiler alert* This is, of course, the grandmother of the "unreliable narrator" plot twist, but what is truly remarkable is how well it holds up, even on rereading. Excellent.

#130 Dracula (Bram Stoker; fiction)

With Mr. M-mv and the Misses; we all thoroughly enjoyed it. With such a slow, methodical build, though, we were somewhat surprised by how hasty the resolution seemed.

#129 Marbles: Mania, Depression, Michelangelo, and Me (Ellen Forney; graphic memoir)

Not as deftly handled as Alison Bechdel's work.

Complete list here.

Currently reading

â–  Shine (Lauren Myracle; YA fiction)

â–  Physics for Future Presidents (Richard A. Muller; non-fiction)

â–  Moby Dick (Herman Melville; fiction)

■ The Misanthrope (Molière; play)

â–  Kill Shakespeare, Vol. 2 (Conor McCreery; graphic fiction)

â–  And others.

I'm a little worried about the sewers. So far (in preparation? ha) I've waded through 60 pages on Waterloo and another 40 or so on the history of a Parisian order of nuns. I should have familiarized myself a bit more with the politics of the French Revolution before I started - a lot of it is going over my head. But I'm enjoying learning more about the backgrounds of the characters, especially the bishop.

Kudos to you. (This is about Les Miserables--that was a great point someone made as it is frustrating to not know what book is being discussed.) I have considered doing what you are, but have always found the abridged one long enough. However, it would be very educational if you were studying the politics of the French Revolution, because it is first and foremost a very political book from what I can see.

Yes, Orhan Pamuk. Though I have to admit he's driven me crazy of late. DH says it's because I'm not Turkish and don't truly understand the mindset from which he writes.

The other author I want to read that DH recommends to Westerners is YaÅŸar Kemal. "Mehmet, My Hawk" is one of his books. Mr. Kemal is of Kurdish origins which brings a different flavor to his writing. It was always assumed in Turkey the HE would be the Nobel Laureate, not Pamuk.

On a lighter note, I just adore Richard Scarry. Lowly Worm was an imaginary friend in our house growing up.

I don't think I've ever read a Turkish novel by a Turkish author. So, if we do the second suggestion I made (several people liked those 2 suggestions, Canadian (truly Canadian :)) and a country you've never read a novel from (also by a native of that country!) it would be great if we could start some kind of list of authors like this. I'm going to ask my mother for her top 10 Canadian author list as she is very literature-savvy and reads heavier books than I now do (but not all heavy!) and has good taste in literary and mainstream fiction.

Chunkster is a long book usually 500 pages or more. Some say it's a 1000 or more, like my hubby who likes to torture, err gift me with really really long books. So we'll have to decide on our definition of a chunkster - I'm leaning toward 500 ish.

Another vote for this for a book per week. Normally I'd say at least 750 or 1000 pages, but that's too much for one week.

Richard Scarry is wonderful for the preschool/early elementary age because of the highly detailed illustrations in many of his books. There is much discussion to be had of what Lowly Worm is doing or what is happening in the background of the pictures. I must confess that every time we eat couscous someone says "Couscous the Algerian Detective!" I think that it is from the Scarry collection The Best Storybook Ever.I read every story in that book aloud multiple times. Wonderful memories.....

I remember when my younger brother got that first one he wrote and illustrated (guess he illustrated books for some time before writing them, too.) I don't know if it had just come out or not, since when we moved to the city for 2 years we got to see all kinds of cool books at the library and not just rely on what we owned and could get from the school library.

I don't think I've ever read a Turkish novel by a Turkish author. So, if we do the second suggestion I made (several people liked those 2 suggestions, Canadian (truly Canadian :)) and a country you've never read a novel from (also by a native of that country!) it would be great if we could start some kind of list of authors like this. I'm going to ask my mother for her top 10 Canadian author list as she is very literature-savvy and reads heavier books than I now do (but not all heavy!) and has good taste in literary and mainstream fiction.

Another vote for this for a book per week. Normally I'd say at least 750 or 1000 pages, but that's too much for one week.

Good idea about the list of authors and books to read from other countries. I'll have to look at the books I've read this year. Start listing your suggestions and I'll come up with a master list of some sort, add it as a page to the 52 books blog where it is easily accessible. A top ten list for each country sounds reasonable, yes? There may be some we choose to read about the same time. So exciting! I was a bit bored today and didn't feel like writing so started working on image widgets for 52 Books such as dusty books, non fiction reading project, etc.

I gave up on One of our Thursdays is Missing. Made it about 50 pages and still hadn't really gotten into the story. Way too many book metaphors and book related descriptions and it just got to be a bit much. It was totally different from the Eyre Affair which I enjoyed. So sad. Moved on to Blood Line by Lynda La Plante.

#53 The True Saint Nicholas: Why He Matters to Christmas by William J. Bennett - I learned a lot about Saint Nicholas and the way he morphed into Santa Claus, but it raised a lot of questions for me, too. But that's probably a good thing. :)

#54 Persuasion by Jane Austen - Love. Here's some of my favorite lines: "Prettier musings of high-wrought love and eternal constancy, could never have passed along the streets of Bath, than Anne was sporting with from Camden-place to Westgate-buildings. It was almost enough to spread purification and perfume all the way." I think I feel a movie re-watch coming on...

I finished The Eyre Affair, which I did enjoy the last part of. However, due to the language and a few other things, I won't be continuing this series. I did see the point of the seemingly useless chapter on the vampire hunter, but I'm not interested in the kind of villain Hades is at this point. I do have to say that Jaspar Fforde has quite the imagination.

Good idea about the list of authors and books to read from other countries. I'll have to look at the books I've read this year. Start listing your suggestions and I'll come up with a master list of some sort, add it as a page to the 52 books blog where it is easily accessible. A top ten list for each country sounds reasonable, yes? There may be some we choose to read about the same time. So exciting! I was a bit bored today and didn't feel like writing so started working on image widgets for 52 Books such as dusty books, non fiction reading project, etc.

I gave up on One of our Thursdays is Missing. Made it about 50 pages and still hadn't really gotten into the story. Way too many book metaphors and book related descriptions and it just got to be a bit much. It was totally different from the Eyre Affair which I enjoyed. So sad. Moved on to Blood Line by Lynda La Plante.

Excellent. I've emailed both my parents for their top 10 truly Canadian books, so that might make 2 different lists of 10, but I did it before I remembered. I can highlight any that I also like (but I won't have read them all). I specifically asked my mother for literary novels, although she reads other books as well, and my dad for Canadian books in general. I'll have to think about books from other countries that I've already read (too many to remember) and liked and/or thought had merit (it could have merit even if I don't like it.) Even though Canada is a foreign country to the US etc, I'd like to keep those two challenges separate, as the US is a foreign country to a number of people on the forums (eg Rosie) as you might take up the Canadian challenge even if you've read Canadian lit before (eg me as I'd like to do this one). It is possible that someone signs up for the novel by an author from a country they've never read from before who has never read an American novel, and so an American novel could count (but Canadians, don't try to tell me that you've never read an American novel as some of those are required reading in school :).

Canadian authors/books (that do not include the ever present Margaret Atwood):

Salamander by Thomas Wharton (historical fantasy, books/printing)

The Stone Diaries by Carol Shields

tons of short story collections by Alice Munro (considered one of the best short story writers)

Never Cry Wolf by Farley Mowat (non-fiction, I have it on shelf somewhere)

Life of Pi by Yann Martel

A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry

The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje

William Gibson, the inventor of cyberpunk and speculative fiction author, has dual citizenship (Canadian/US)

Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery

Shoeless Joe by W.P. Kinsella (made into the movie Field of Dreams)

Humboldt's Gift by Saul Bellows

Waiting for my corrections to show up to say that I've thought of some more challenges. Do we have room for more small ones?

Always! This year I threw in a few random ones such as choose a book by it's cover, a certain word in the title, etc. What did you think up?

But I'm comfy anywhere in the WTM virtual living room, having moved with the reformatting of the boards 3 times now. Anyone else here around from the very beginning?

I've been around a long time always posting under the same name. I remember when the boards went back to the early 1900s after Y2K.

(Is this where I confess that I never cared for Richard Scarry?)

Regards,

Kareni

I finished The Eyre Affair, which I did enjoy the last part of. However, due to the language and a few other things, I won't be continuing this series. I did see the point of the seemingly useless chapter on the vampire hunter, but I'm not interested in the kind of villain Hades is at this point. I do have to say that Jaspar Fforde has quite the imagination.

Exactly!! It's been almost a year since I read this but I remember telling my dd that the last 70-80 pages couldn't make up for the rest of the book. It was one of my biggest book disappointments of the year. It could have been so much more.

tons of short story collections by Alice Munro (considered one of the best short story writers)

Life of Pi by Yann Martel A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry

The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje William Gibson,

the inventor of cyberpunk and speculative fiction author, has dual citizenship (Canadian/US)

Love love love! I vote we read Lucy Maud Montgomery for our Canadian author. :)

A couple I've thought of that I haven't seen anywhere yet: Spin-off Challenge: where you read an original work (usually a classic), then a new novel that has used the plot or character(s) in a contemporary way. There are lots of examples: Jane Eyre & Wide Sargasso Sea; Dracula & The Historian; The Wizard of Oz & Wicked Reading At The Movies: where we read a book, then watch the movie based on the book, then say why the book is better :p

I really like these challenge suggestions too!

Oh. I'm a bit sad because I can't get my formatting in my post to look right. I think I'm going to have to give up on my running list. :(

Finished:

Cut to the Quick (Julian Kestrel Novel) by Kate Ross (*****)

I'm going to start by asking you four questions:

Do you like mysteries?

Do you like British mysteries?

Do you like the Regency period?

Do you like books that are awesome?

If you answered yes to any of the above questions than I highly recommend you read Cut to the Quick. I also highly recommend you don't start it on an evening when you have to be up early the next day.

A Christmas Carol, The Chimes, and The Cricket on the Hearth by Charles Dickens (****) - I read this for ladies book club and enjoyed it. I'd read A Christmas Carol before but the other two were new. I think Christmas Carol is the best out of the three though.

In progress:

The View from Saturday by EL Konigsburg

The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George (read aloud)

Eye of the World (Wheel of Time) by Robert Jordan

How's it going Wheel of Time gals? I've only just started it but I can tell it's my type of book. I'm really excited about it.

Okay, I have a quick question.

I have been reading a ton of non-fiction related to Punk's SPD/ASD issues, but it has been survey reading. I am not reading every chapter of every book, just those pertinent to our situation. (Now for the question.) Could I count this toward the challenge and, if so, how since I am not reading the books in thier entirety?

Finished:

Cut to the Quick(Julian Kestrel Novel) by Kate Ross (*****)

I'm going to start by asking you four questions:

Do you like mysteries?

Do you like British mysteries?

Do you like the Regency period?

Do you like books that are awesome?

If you answered yes to any of the above questions than I highly recommend you read Cut to the Quick. I also highly recommend you don't start it on an evening when you have to be up early the next day.

How's it going Wheel of Time gals? I've only just started it but I can tell it's my type of book. I'm really excited about it.

I answered "yes" to all your questions. I will have to put that on my list!

I haven't started Eye of the World yet. I need to finished the last 20% of All Roads Lead to Austen. My friends loved this book. I'm feeling pretty "meh." about it. I'm ready to be done and get started on the Wheel of Time. I'm so glad you are enjoying it and are excited about it :hurray:

Okay, I have a quick question.

I have been reading a ton of non-fiction related to Punk's SPD/ASD issues, but it has been survey reading. I am not reading every chapter of every book, just those pertinent to our situation. (Now for the question.) Could I count this toward the challenge and, if so, how since I am not reading the books in thier entirety?

It is entirely up to you to determine if you want to count it toward your 52 books. If I only read one or two chapters of a non fiction help book, then I wouldn't count it. If I read the majority of the book, then I would.

I was perusing my bookshelves today, and realized that Michael O'Brien is also a Canadian author. His The Island of the World (which comes highly recommended by ladydusk) also clocks in at 839 pages, so I could count it towards the Canadian author, chunkster and perhaps even the dusty book/TBR challenges - that is, if that isn't breaking any rules. :D

L.M. Montgomery sounds good, too. I really should read/re-read the Anne of Green Gables series (I'm not sure that I've read all the books - some, like Windy Poplars, were just skimmed I think).

Aggieamy, I was just thinking of starting The Chimes and The Cricket on the Hearth . :) I think I listened to a radio version of A Cricket on the Hearth once, but I don't really remember much. I also hope to read or listen to an audio version of A Christmas Carol with the kids next month. Funny tradition we have: we always watch Mickey's Christmas Carol on Christmas Eve, usually accompanied by hot apple cider. :)

Anyone else here around from the very beginning?

I've been around the past 8 years or so - same name. The changes this time seems to have really wigged a few people out. Maybe because the time of year, don't know. I'm one of those who goes with the flow.

I haven't started Eye of the World yet. I need to finished the last 20% of All Roads Lead to Austen. My friends loved this book. I'm feeling pretty "meh." about it. I'm ready to be done and get started on the Wheel of Time. I'm so glad you are enjoying it and are excited about it :hurray:

Just received the 2nd book The Great Hunt and will be starting it this weekend. :)

I was perusing my bookshelves today, and realized that Michael O'Brien is also a Canadian author. His The Island of the World (which comes highly recommended by ladydusk) also clocks in at 839 pages, so I could count it towards the Canadian author, chunkster and perhaps even the dusty book/TBR challenges - that is, if that isn't breaking any rules. :D

I have Sophia House by Michael O'Brien on my shelves that has been gathering dust as well. I started it years ago and couldn't get into it. Think it had to do with not liking one of the characters. I've heard a lot of good things about The Island of the World.

And to answer your question, no it wouldn't be breaking any of the rules to overlap challenges.

It is entirely up to you to determine if you want to count it toward your 52 books. If I only read one or two chapters of a non fiction help book, then I wouldn't count it. If I read the majority of the book, then I would.

Thanks! I will add the ones I have read 2/3rds or better of the content. I totally did not anticipate the way this year has turned out; I have some pleasure reading that has been calling to me for months now. I really need to start prioritizing my need for fluff reading before I become totally frustrated.

I plan on re-reading The Orient Express this weekend, it will be a nice break from all the non-fiction.

Anyone else here around from the very beginning?

I've participated on the WTM forums since mid-2000, if my math is correct. This thread is the primary reason I made it back after the most recent update.

Mental Multivitamin, I just read your blog and have decided that my favorite library is yours, too. It's gorgeous!!

DSC_0045%2B%25284%2529.JPG

Aw, thank you. We love it. And that's just one wall! As I was explaining to Carol in the comments, the cases line that room and the one behind it, as seen in this entry. In the top photo in that same entry, you can just make out that the shelves continue down the hall. Those continue into the "girl cave." The risers make the cases seven-shelves tall, which gives the appearance, at first glance of floor to ceiling coverage. Many people mistake it all for built-ins. My husband did all of the work with Miss M-mv(ii) as his assistant.

William Gibson, the inventor of cyberpunk and speculative fiction author, has dual citizenship (Canadian/US)

Here are a few suggestions for a Canadian challenge:

â–  The Deptford Trilogy or The Salterton Trilogy (Robertson Davies)

â–  The Mountain and the Valley (Ernest Buckler -- This is a particular favorite of Paul Gross, "Slings and Arrows" fans!)

â–  As for Me and My House (Sinclair Ross)

If someone wants to read Michael Ondaatje, I'd highly recommend his book that came out this year, The Cat's Table. I absolutely loved it. I read The English Patient years ago & didn't really care for it, otoh.

Also, at the beginning of this year, I read The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt. He's Canadian (though he now apparently lives in the US). Maybe another one to consider?

One by a Canadian author that I have on my to-read list is Klondike by Pierre Berton.

In the meantime, I'm starting two fiction books while I'm still working on my current non-fiction choice of Bright Lights, No City.

Both of my fiction choices are humorous & not politically correct.at.all. I'm just in the mood for some frivolous, fun reading. http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/tongue.gif

Holidays on Ice by David Sedaris (inspired by JennW in SoCal's question about holiday reads + seeing the play of the SantaLand Diaries this past weekend)

and

Flashman by George MacDonald Fraser (The quote on the front of the version I have is from the Houston Chronicle, "Flashman -- scoundrel, cheat, bully, cad, lecher -- and the best entertainment going! Villainy triumphant!" Flashman is a seemingly total cad & womanzier a la James Bond, but more from the 1860s than the 1960s.)

Oh, this is such a good book. Lifechanging. World stopping. Amazing. Best read last year for me. I didn't know you had it; I read it via ILL! Maybe I can borrow it sometime next year?

Great list. I just read Salamander and highly recommend it. Also enjoyed Life of Pi. It's been years and years since I read Anne of Green Gables and Anne of Avonlea - my mother's favorite series. Checked out the other authors and sold on William Gibson. Just downloaded Neuromancer. Off to investigate MM and Stacia's suggestions. Good thing I have some extra bday money to spend. *rubbing hands gleefully*

Oh, this is such a good book. Lifechanging. World stopping. Amazing. Best read last year for me. I didn't know you had it; I read it via ILL! Maybe I can borrow it sometime next year?

Sure! I bought it because of your recommendation, ostensibly for hubby for Father's Day, but neither of us has read it yet.

Reading At The Movies: where we read a book, then watch the movie based on the book, then say why the book is better :p

That's an easy one! I like it. :thumbup1:

I was perusing my bookshelves today, and realized that Michael O'Brien is also a Canadian author. His The Island of the World (which comes highly recommended by ladydusk) also clocks in at 839 pages, so I could count it towards the Canadian author, chunkster and perhaps even the dusty book/TBR challenges

That's been on my list for awhile too. Great that it fits all those categories.

DSC_0045%2B%25284%2529.JPG

Aw, thank you. We love it. And that's just one wall! As I was explaining to Carol in the comments, the cases line that room and the one behind it, as seen in this entry. In the top photo in that same entry, you can just make out that the shelves continue down the hall. Those continue into the "girl cave." The risers make the cases seven-shelves tall, which gives the appearance, at first glance of floor to ceiling coverage. Many people mistake it all for built-ins. My husband did all of the work with Miss M-mv(ii) as his assistant.

Between the bookshelves, the decor, and that lovely kitty, all I can say is :drool5:

Canadian authors/books (that do not include the ever present Margaret Atwood): Salamander by Thomas Wharton (historical fantasy, books/printing) The Stone Diaries by Carol Shields tons of short story collections by Alice Munro (considered one of the best short story writers) Never Cry Wolf by Farley Mowat (non-fiction, I have it on shelf somewhere) Life of Pi by Yann Martel A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje William Gibson, the inventor of cyberpunk and speculative fiction author, has dual citizenship (Canadian/US) Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery Shoeless Joe by W.P. Kinsella (made into the movie Field of Dreams) Humboldt's Gift by Saul Bellows

Okay, I'd totally forgotten about Anne of Green Gables :rolleyes: and The Life of Pi, but technically they counts. I was hoping, though, that it would be more in line with discovering something new, but I could save that for a different challenge another year, and it would be an excuse for people to reread it.

Always! This year I threw in a few random ones such as choose a book by it's cover, a certain word in the title, etc. What did you think up?

The other challenges I thought of are rather specific:

Pick one of the fine arts (but not crafts, graphic arts or commercial film or TV as that's too easy,although I suppose someone could make that a whole different challenge :)) and read at least 2 books on it including:

- a novel about it

- a book by someone who was involved in the field professionally (a memoir, a book about the field, an autobiography, a novel, but not a picture book, as long as the author was a professional in that fine art or a prolific and respected amateur as almost everyone has been in a school play :)) Note that if you are doing classical music, Summer at Tififany would count as the memoir because the author was a music student who was still performing as a professional cellist when she wrote it, although the person could write it when retired.

I can't remember the other challenge I thought of any more

A couple I've thought of that I haven't seen anywhere yet: Spin-off Challenge: where you read an original work (usually a classic), then a new novel that has used the plot or character(s) in a contemporary way. There are lots of examples: Jane Eyre & Wide Sargasso Sea; Dracula & The Historian; The Wizard of Oz & Wicked Reading At The Movies: where we read a book, then watch the movie based on the book, then say why the book is better :p

I like that spin-off challenge. Dd has had to do something similar in her senior English class, but they're not always such obvious spin offs. She's reading a novel now that she can already see has similar themes, etc, to Hamlet, which they just studied in full, http://www.amazon.co.../dp/0061374237t .They also studied Beowolf & compared it with Monarch of the Glen (her essay for that one was on characterization). This isn't quite the same thing, of course, but her assignments have got me interested in this.

Barnes and Noble Nook Free Friday book: The Last Noel by Michael Malone

"Malone’s book begins on Christmas Day, 1956, as two babies—one white and one black—are born in a small Southern town. Those babies, Noni and Kaye, cross paths eight years later, and form a lifelong friendship and romance. Through this unlikely pairing, Malone explores a changing American South, but more importantly, presents a deep love that transcends all barriers and survives against all odds."

Also check out Scotland's Mystery Book Sculpture - There's a gallery of amazing pictures

Alasdair-Grays-Lanark-006.jpg

I finally finished Writing Begins with The Breath and took numerous notes. I'll probably end up doing what MM does and do a chap book of quotes. brain just has to finish absorbing it all first. Slogged my way through Lynda La Plantes Blood Line which is the latest in her British Detective Anne Travis series. It started out good but halfway through became tedious and repetitive with police investigation. It probably could have been a couple hundred pages shorter. Never so happy to finish a story. Think I need some thing light and fluffy before tackling Jordan's The Great Hunt.

I finally finished All Roads Lead to Austen, Book #42. Like I said in a previous post, my friends just loved this book. We are all huge Austen fans and after leading our daughters in our own Jane Austen book study two years ago, I really expected to enjoy it. Not so much. Whether Austen or Shakespeare, I've taught the kids to make their own assumptions about the work they are reading. Therefore we read very little commentaries on the works. When we did, we quite frequently disagreed. Not to mention that reading those essays/commentaries on the work before hand can really cloud your own thoughts and assumptions about the book. I guess I really didn't like many of the themes and opinions that the groups derived from reading Austen. There was a prevailing feminist undertone which really kind of soured me. Sometimes it was so far from my view of Austen that I was put off. I'm always amazed when I pull my head out of the sand and look outside my bubble and see what other people believe :o Sad but true. I did enjoy reading about a couple of the specific reading groups, especially the Argentina one. Since it was last, the last 20% of the book was my favorite. I enjoyed reading about her travels as well. Other countries fascinate me since I have not the resources to visit them on my own. ;)

I will begin Robert Jordan's prequel New Spring next. I totally forgot about the prequel and my anal self has to start at the beginning :D It's not a chunkster, but I will hit those very soon!

Reading At The Movies: where we read a book, then watch the movie based on the book, then say why the book is better :p

Right, I dare someone to read Xenophon's Anabasis and then watch the 1970's cult movie The Warriors. Just for the cultural whiplash experience.

BTW, did Robertson Davies make the Canadian list, or did I just miss him?

Here's the Canadian List.. Perhaps we could narrow it down to your top ten favorites

Canadian authors and recommended books

Saul Bellows - Humboldt's Gift

Pierre Berton - Klondike

Ernest Buckler - The Mountain and the Valley

Robertson Davies - The Deptford Trilogy or The Salterton Trilogy

Patrick deWitt - Sisters Brothers

William Gibson - inventor of cyberpunk and speculative fiction, dual citizenship (Canadian/US)

W.P. Kinsella - Shoeless Joe (made into the movie Field of Dreams)

Yann Martel - Life of Pi

Rohinton Mistry - A Fine Balance

Lucy Maud Montgomery - Anne of Green Gables series

Farley Mowat - Never Cry Wolf by (non-fiction

Alice Munro - tons of short story collections

Michael O’Brien – Island of the World

Michael Ondaatje - The English Patient

Sinclair Ross - As for Me and My House

Carol Shields - The Stone Diaries

Thomas Wharton - Salamander by (historical fantasy, books/printing)

Links all lead to amazon, their bios and other books written.

I'm going to start by asking you four questions: Do you like mysteries? Do you like British mysteries? Do you like the Regency period? Do you like books that are awesome? If you answered yes to any of the above questions than I highly recommend you read Cut to the Quick.

This was very cute. No, I like awful, horrible books. :laugh:

Here are a few suggestions for a Canadian challenge:[/font] â–  The Deptford Trilogy or The Salterton Trilogy (Robertson Davies) â–  The Mountain and the Valley (Ernest Buckler -- This is a particular favorite of Paul Gross, "Slings and Arrows" fans!) â–  As for Me and My House (Sinclair Ross)

Yes, Robertson Davies!! Great suggestions!

I'm listening to the Moby Dick Big Read and have really been enjoying it. Some of the chapters have really knocked my socks off with both the recording and Melville's writing. Some of the recordings are a little lower on the quality scale, but I'm still enjoying myself.

Finished David Sedaris' Holiday on Ice....

I read this because I saw the SantaLand Diaries as a play last weekend & really enjoyed it. To be fair, I think Sedaris is better seen/heard than read. His radio essays & plays I've seen have been enjoyable & entertaining. His writing... eh... not so much. I liked the SantaLand Diaries section of the book fine (though it was mostly repeating what I had just seen in the play), but I found the other stories to be quite dark & very cynical. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood for such dark fare, but I found it to be too heavy for what-I-had-hoped would be light, seasonal, fun reading.

As I've said, I enjoy Sedaris when hearing/seeing him. I think I'll stick to his performed &/or spoken pieces from now on.... And in that vein, I'll leave you with a link to a different holiday tale of his from the Netherlands, "6 to 8 Black Men" (about St. Nicholas & Zwarte Piet) since St. Nicholas day is approaching quickly. Enjoy!

As I've said, I enjoy Sedaris when hearing/seeing him. I think I'll stick to his performed &/or spoken pieces from now on.... And in that vein, I'll leave you with a link to a different holiday tale of his from the Netherlands, "6 to 8 Black Men" (about St. Nicholas & Zwarte Piet) since St. Nicholas day is approaching quickly. Enjoy!

Hilarious video. Thanks for sharing. I can see how it works better spoken than written. You don't get all the nuances of his wit from reading.

#47 - Clouds of Witness by Dorothy L Sayers. I liked it a lot. I'm enjoying Lord Peter Wimsey and his wit and wits.

2012 Books Reviews

1. Lit! by Tony Reinke

2. Loving the Little Years by Rachel Jankovic

3. Words to Eat By by Ina Lipkowitz

4. How to Tutor Your Own Child by Marina Koestler Ruben

5. Evening in the Palace of Reason by James R Gaines (spectacular)

6. The Cat of Bubastes by GA Henty (Audio from Librivox)

7. The Last Battle by C S Lewis (Audiobook)

8. A Praying Life by Paul E Miller

9. Emotional Intensity in Gifted Students by Christine Fonesca

10. Little Britches: Father and I Were Ranchers by Ralph Moody (fantastic read aloud)

11. The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare

12. The Abolition of Man by C.S. Lewis

13. How to Write a Sentence by Stanley Fish

14. The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion

15. The Rich Are Different by Susan Howatch

16. The Masqueraders by Georgette Heyer

17. Sylvester by Georgette Heyer

18. Understood Betsy by Dorothy Canfield Fisher (great read aloud)

19. Sins of the Fathers by Susan Howatch (wow!)

20. Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls (very good)

21. Mansfield Park by Jane Austen (favorite)

22. The Toll Gate by Georgette Heyer

23. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl (audio book)

24. The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick (audio book)

25. Penmarric by Susan Howatch

26. Cashelmara by Susan Howatch

27. The Grand Sophy by Georgette Heyer

28. Pawn of Prophecy by David Eddings

29. Queen of Sorcery by David Eddings

30. Magician's Gambit by David Eddings

31. Castle of Wizadry by David Eddings

32. Enchanter's End Game by David Eddings

33. Persuasion by Jane Austen

34. Surprised by Oxford by Carolyn Weber (phenomenal)

35. A Circle of Quiet by Madeleine L'Engle

36. My Man, Jeeves by PG Wodehouse

37. Right Ho, Jeeves by PG Wodehouse

38. The Summer of the Great-Grandmother by Madeleine L'Engle

39. Moonwalking with Einstein by Joshua Foer

40. Never Gone by Laurel Garver

41. The Secret of Contentment by William B Barcley

42. A Severe Mercy by Sheldon Vanauken

43. Edenbrooke by Julianne Donaldson

44. Whose Body? by Dorothy L Sayers

45. The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien (Audio Book read by Rob Inglis)

46. Black Beauty by Anna Sewell (Librivox Recording)

47. Clouds of Witness by Dorothy L Sayers