Menu

Does anyone else's kid lose it right before their birthday?

DD turns 8 in about 2 weeks-and honestly, it feels more like she's turning...oh...3 maybe? Everything, and I mean everything, is getting met with tears and frustration. Today I lost it and ended up snapping at her because she was supposed to be doing an online assignment (which took her literally 5 minutes once she actually stopped whining and did it) and couldn't find the "create new comic" button. Which was RIGHT THERE IN PLAIN SIGHT.

You mean to tell me my theoretically reading on a high school level child couldn't read "create new comic"? Or couldn't figure out that you're supposed to...oh...CLICK THE BUTTON??!!!???

It's stuff like that constantly. Yesterday it was "There's no meat to make a sandwich". Uh...try about two different kinds, one shelf below where she was looking. Not even behind things. Fully visible.

I know there's a lot of outside stress coming up and going on. A lot of it good stress, in that it's things like having family come in for Thanksgiving, her birthday party, and so on, but still stress, so I'm really trying to let school slide and mostly just let her do what's required for outside classes where I don't have full control over the agenda, and many of them will be stopping as we get closer to Christmas (and all will take a break Thanksgiving week). I'm willing to let her sleep late if she needs the sleep and I'm trying not to sign up for too much extra outside the house stuff. I don't know what else I can do.

Sigh....

My dd becomes a ball of rage around Christmas. She is my child who must know what everyone is talking about, or doing, whether it concerns her or not. She obviously has some control issues. The fact that there will be or are, presents under a tree that she can't see inside of, drives her nuts. She can't take it. And to some degree, she tends to get out of control when anything "exciting" is approaching. Calm, she is not. She is adhd, and highly impulsive too.

Yes, I even remember my mom saying to me every year, "am I going to have to spank you on your birthday??" That was 40 years ago.

And my dd had a massive meltdown on her 5th birthday. "I don't want a birthday!" This is my mellow kid, mind you. Granted, there was a lot going on that day.

Yes, every year around her original due date my dd would kind of regress. It was normal according to all the child development books I read, so I went with it.

As you're raising a daughter I'm going to point something out. Sitting? Good. It could be hormone fluctuations. Yes, this early. My DD didn't start her menses until she was eleven, but around eight she would get these occasional emotional outbursts and go on a crying jag like she was PMSing. Snuggles, some comfort food and a movie helped her feel better.

Any good thing, birthdays, fieldtrips, visits with dad etc are met with days of toddlerlike behaviour for days before with ds14. It is like he is trying to sabotage them

This is my DS, and it was me as well. I had so much stress and expectation around big events.

Yeah, the more excited they get, the more my youngest two act out. Big Jenny is coming home from college (3 hours away) for the long weekend and for the past two days, I've been ready to tear my hair out. Obnoxious, bickering, whining, picking at each other, and just generally tormenting me like a research rat.

Yesterday it was "There's no meat to make a sandwich". Uh...try about two different kinds, one shelf below where she was looking. Not even behind things. Fully visible.

i love my husband. adore the man. but he does this too, lol. so i feel your pain, not only with my own kids - but with my whole family:D