Menu

If you suffer from inflammation, stress, or auto-immune issues...

I am having great results with Ashwagandha extract as a supplement.

I have tried other supplements that have either not helped or have made things far worse, but I have been taking this for a few weeks and I just keep feeling better and better.

Thought I would share! :001_smile:

Glad you've found something that is working for you. I've never heard of it. I have arthritis and possibly fibromyalgia. Are these the kinds of problems it can help with? I suppose I should google it. Thanks.

Glad you've found something that is working for you. I've never heard of it. I have arthritis and possibly fibromyalgia. Are these the kinds of problems it can help with? I suppose I should google it. Thanks.

Yes, because it helps with inflammation it can actually help with arthritis (or so I have read anyway).

Any supplement is a risk, but this is in a group called adaptogens. This means that it helps your body by reducing inflammation and it helps bring balance. It could help someone with an underactive thyroid by stimulating the thyroid but it doesn't necessarily make someone who is normal end up hyperthyroid and so on. So it is generally safe because it (in and of itself) doesn't stimulate hormones it just helps to balance your system (by reducing inflammation and stress) so that your own body's hormone production is better.

Edited by Charleigh

Just curious...what adrenal problems did you have? I ask b/c I have Addison's Disease, but I also have arthritis, and I'm worried about anything I take adversely affecting that.

Adrenal fatigue (and if you don't believe in it, please don't tell me). All I know is that tests have shown no cortisol at certain times of my day. I am on an adrenal diet (5 small meals with protein and veggies at each one and no sugar) which helps. The adaptogens help too. I'm also low thyroid, though that is managed very well with Armour Thyroid.

Ashwagandha is a great adaptogen, which help us achieve balance, rather than correct/address a specific issue.

For inflammation, I generally recommend turmeric (yes, the orange Indian spice), which is a cox2 inhibitor. Like Vioxx, but without the nasty side effects. It is one of a few that I recommend using in capsule form, not because there's a health advantage but because teas and tinctures will make your mouth orange; it's also an excellent dye. ;) I've seen great relief in arthritis to adult asthma with it.

Ashwagandha is a great adaptogen, which help us achieve balance, rather than correct/address a specific issue.

For inflammation, I generally recommend turmeric (yes, the orange Indian spice), which is a cox2 inhibitor. Like Vioxx, but without the nasty side effects. It is one of a few that I recommend using in capsule form, not because there's a health advantage but because teas and tinctures will make your mouth orange; it's also an excellent dye. ;) I've seen great relief in arthritis to adult asthma with it.

Turmeric for asthma? Could you tell me more? :bigear:

yes. The active anti-inflammatory in tumeric is called curcumin. You can get curcumin capsules at a vitamin store. I take it for inflammation, including when I had pericarditis.

Is it safe when nursing? I can't find much on it in regards to nursing other than the standard "don't take this when nursing." But even my prenatal vitamins say to check with the doctor. If it helps, I'm nursing an almost 2 year old, though she lately has been nursing almost round the clock. :rolleyes: LOL

Do you mean ashwagandha? I read somewhere that it is sometimes recommended for inadequate milk supply so I would think it would be ok, but read up on it to make sure.

How much/in what form is recommended? Looking online, there seems to be tinctures and capsules. An article I read just now mentioned using 1/2 t. to 1 t. in warm milk as a drink. Any one better than the other?

I originally got the capsules from Vitamin Shoppe. I am now trying the root powder. I thought it would be cheaper in the long run since I purchased 1 lb organic for $21? I can't really say much so far. This is my first day using this form. It doesn't taste great so I can't imagine sipping a whole cup of tea, but I mixed it with a TBS of apple sauce and swallowed :tongue_smilie: I survived :)

I originally got the capsules from Vitamin Shoppe. I am now trying the root powder. I thought it would be cheaper in the long run since I purchased 1 lb organic for $21? I can't really say much so far. This is my first day using this form. It doesn't taste great so I can't imagine sipping a whole cup of tea, but I mixed it with a TBS of apple sauce and swallowed :tongue_smilie: I survived :)

:lol:

yes. The active anti-inflammatory in tumeric is called curcumin. You can get curcumin capsules at a vitamin store. I take it for inflammation, including when I had pericarditis.

Yup. Good stuff. I generally recommend standardized whole herb, rather than extracted components, though.

Turmeric for asthma? Could you tell me more? :bigear:

Why yes, I could tell you a lot more. It's the subject of one of my case studies that will be submitted the the AHG for professional certification. :)

Without going into a dissertation, if we assume from its nature that adult asthma is an inflammatory / autoimmune process, turmeric and ginger (which addresses leukotrienes), along with an anti-inflammation diet, help reduce the severity of symptoms and need for steroid and rescue inhaler use.

I've had two people who went from increasing rescue inhaler use to multiple times per day, and needing to add nebulizer treatment, to not using either.

Yup. Good stuff. I generally recommend standardized whole herb, rather than extracted components, though.

Why yes, I could tell you a lot more. It's the subject of one of my case studies that will be submitted the the AHG for professional certification. :)

Without going into a dissertation, if we assume from its nature that adult asthma is an inflammatory / autoimmune process, turmeric and ginger (which addresses leukotrienes), along with an anti-inflammation diet, help reduce the severity of symptoms and need for steroid and rescue inhaler use.

I've had two people who went from increasing rescue inhaler use to multiple times per day, and needing to add nebulizer treatment, to not using either.

Can you post lots more? about the anti-inflammation diet and links to what to buy? thanks!

You can buy empty capsules and fill them yourself with whatever you want to take. I guess a tablespoon would be a lot of capsules, though.

Can you post lots more? about the anti-inflammation diet and links to what to buy? thanks!

I know that I am not the one you were asking but a great resource for an anti-inflammatory diet that works is

http://www.whole30.com

All of the info you need is on the website for free :001_smile:

Yes!!! Please tell us more about how to use tumeric and ginger for asthma!!

I've always wanted to do that!

I'm in serious Hildegard of Bingen study right now.

I just ran out. I have been taking this fairly consistently for years. I think I started it for circulation ???

Anyway, do you also like pill form? That's what I got last time. I used to take capsules but once when I was driving, I belched and an orange cloud came out of me! We all laughed so hard I had to pull over.:lol::lol::lol:

In your studies did you ever read about a link between ginger consumption and kidney stones? Also, do you have a preferred brand of turmeric, and do you believe black pepper makes it more absorbable? I have been usi g Drs Best curcumin but will try turmeric.

OP, did you ever try turmeric? If so, did it have any benefit?

How much/day? :bigear:

In your studies did you ever read about a link between ginger consumption and kidney stones? Also, do you have a preferred brand of turmeric, and do you believe black pepper makes it more absorbable? I have been usi g Drs Best curcumin but will try turmeric.

OP, did you ever try turmeric? If so, did it have any benefit?

I haven't found that specifically, but there are other links (bleeding, same with garlic) that may or may not apply in any individual.

Turmeric is often combined with bromelain for enhanced absorption. I would assume the pepper would be because of the (relatively small amount of) capsaicin, which is good for pain relief. (Cayenne is generally used in that way) Bromelain also comes with its own risks - increased bleeding and stomach upset being the most common.

Generally speaking (and this is a big generalization because it depends on the needs of the individual), I start with 2 turmeric and one ginger, twice a day, if we're addressing asthma. Just the turmeric (or perhaps something additional for pain relief as needed) for other manifestations of inflammation.

My preference is for Mountain Rose Herbs' premade capsules; I trust their commitment to quality and ethical production, and their prices are much better than, say, GNC. I generally don't make my own (I have, and have the stuff to do it) because it's difficult for me to know with any certainty that the capsules all contain the same amount. Not such a big deal in herbs as compared to pharmaceuticals, but I'm rather fond of consistency. Plus, it makes a big d@mn mess in my kitchen. ;)

I wouldn't categorically say yay or nay to tablets vs capsules but my inclination would be to avoid fillers required to solidify a pill.

Oh, and to answer the question of the anti-inflammatory diet: I think they are generally the same, but I usually recommend The Inflammation-Free Diet Plan book because it is informative, and easy to read and use. (The associated site, NutritionData.com is also quite helpful)

Edited by MyCrazyHouse