Menu

Is this possible?

I am slowly coming to terms that I have to get a part time job:glare:

I have not worked in over 10 years and the thought of even trying to apply for jobs is daunting. I am proubly going to have to find some kind of retail job nights and weekends, because my dh works M-F 8to5 with overtime every once in awhile. So I need something that will work around his schedule and not have to pay daycare.

Is this even possible to work part time and not go crazy? I mean I have no plans to stop homeschooling because the schools around are aweful. So someone who has been there done that tell me I can do this, please.

And tell me how did you handle it with school, house cleaning and cooking. TIA

sure lots of people do it.

What I found when I was homeschooling and working, is a schedule was essential and meal planning was essential. If I kept up the scheduling and meal planning everything hummed along.

What did you used to do? What skills do you have?

Can you tutor. Can you teach swimming or aerobics. There are lots of evening/weekend jobs that aren't retail. Some of which you might enjoy. Some of which pay more than retail. Some have some pleasant benefits your family might like (if you worked at a rec center you might be able to get discounts on classes for your kids).

Anyway, broaden your thoughts beyond retail.

It's hard. I did it last year, but just on Saturdays. That was my day to get things done. My house didn't look as nice and I had to let go of many expectations. I worked at Whole Foods 1-3 days a week, mostly just Saturdays. BUT, they gave me 20% off my groceries! With wise shopping, I saved extra to make up for another day of work a week.

I work part-time - two 10 hour days a week. This is down from working the same job full time, which I did for 9 months until we were all good and miserable, which coincided nicely with my husband's business making gains. I went to part-time work in August.

I do laundry and cook plenty on the weekends to prepare for my work days, which are Monday and Tuesday. I make a schedule which assigns independent work to my kids on the days I am gone. We do the teacher-led lessons when I am home. I do not schedule any schooling for myself in the evenings after I come home from work. I am just too tired.

It is not easy, but we are making it work.

I worked part time for a year and a half, and now I'm up to full time. It's hard, no doubt. But it can be done. It takes organization and cooperation from everyone in the home.

And, don't resign yourself to retail. Talk to the people you know. You may find a much better job through friends. I got my job by talking to a friend who's a nurse; she knew the director of the med rec department and asked her to look over my resume. I landed a job with part time hours AND benefits. So tell everyone you know you're looking. You never know what you'll find. :)

I do it. I work overnights Tues, Wed and Sat's. On the days Im coming off a shift sleep is a priority then we do school. School only takes us about 1-2 hours since it's only 1st grade. I have also been picking up 2 day hour shifts on Mon and Fridays b/c Christmas is coming...... so schooling the past 2 weeks has been "rough" but not bad. DH has helped out ALOT with getting things done and I have come to the conclusion that science and history are not a priority right now and if it they dont get done no one is going to arrest me :D

Watch your hours. I ended up with early morning (2-3am start time) and it killed my ability to accomplish anything. I was a zombie. I hope you are able to find something suitable.

If hubby can't/won't take up some slack in cleaning, shopping, and/or schooling, then he needs to moonlight, not you.

This was the conclusion we came to for our family.

Sure, I did it, after being out of the work force for several years. I started working part time at a hotel, mostly overnights, when ds turned 5 yo. I also went back to school and finished my degree while working, taking care of most of the house cleaning and cooking, and eventually home schooling ds.

My degree opened the door for very good paying work, so that dh who got laid off last year, is now a SAHD, and is working to finish his degree, while hs'ing ds.

I probably average about 50 hours a week at my job, but I still help clean house and do laundry, though dh is the superior cook by far and does most meal preparation.

What's helped us is to look at hours devoted to income, housework, and home schooling as a total sum to be distributed between us according to what's necessary for the family at the time. It's a fluid equation though. How many hours worked or meals cooked per week depends on who's got what job and what the overall situation is. Right now, I'm bringing in the sole income for the family, so my contribution to housework is reduced, but it's still a shared responsibility.

I would say that if you approach the whole income/ house hold jobs/ hs'ing as a shared load like that, where different members of the family step up as needed to assume responsibility for what they can at the time, it really helps take some of the load off of any one person, so neither you nor dh is having to bear that all the time by yourself, especially when you both must work.

BTW, the kids should be stepping up to the plate as well! They are members of the family, and as such, have their own contributions to make to both the household and their own educations. :)

There are lots of evening/weekend jobs that aren't retail. a112.jpg

Can you share some ideas? I'm not the OP but the only two things I can fall back on is retail and daycare. Daycare would be difficult on evenings and weekends unless I worked for one of those special centers are open all day and weekends with drop-in rates. I don't know anyone to help me find any other kind of work. Dd20 is a restaurant server, a job I could never do. DH works for HP but only knows about his team which requires college degrees and major software networking talent of which I have a negative. :tongue_smilie: In my working years, I did clerical work but I haven't worked in 11 years and my skills are rusty. I'm sure certain software is preferred and I wouldn't know how to begin to find out what I should know to land a clerical job. I can't think of any opportunity for a clerical job on evenings and weekends anyway.

I've been thinking of getting a daytime Christmas retail job but I'm worried they'll want me early, super early, and I have to take dd14 to school every morning and pick her up in the afternoon. I have no idea if I could get her added to the bus route this late in the school year. She would probably flip at the idea of the bus anyway. I've just been kicking around the idea. I figure it would be easier to land a daytime job during the holidays than an evening job since lots of people would probably be wanting two jobs for the holidays.

What other kind of work is easy to get for not very skilled people?

Yes, it's possible. For a long time, I worked more than part time.

Here is something encouraging: I found that WOH added to my ability to teach, mother, and home-make (in terms of organization and planning). I discovered that being a full time at home mom was limiting me, and that working allowed me a welcome break from the tedious demands of a full time at home focus. Working became a welcome break from at home work, and I was happier. I returned home a *better* mother.

That may not be the case for everyone, but I do like to include it as a possibility.

Can you share some ideas? I'm not the OP but the only two things I can fall back on is retail and daycare. Daycare would be difficult on evenings and weekends unless I worked for one of those special centers are open all day and weekends with drop-in rates. I don't know anyone to help me find any other kind of work. Dd20 is a restaurant server, a job I could never do. DH works for HP but only knows about his team which requires college degrees and major software networking talent of which I have a negative. :tongue_smilie: In my working years, I did clerical work but I haven't worked in 11 years and my skills are rusty. I'm sure certain software is preferred and I wouldn't know how to begin to find out what I should know to land a clerical job. I can't think of any opportunity for a clerical job on evenings and weekends anyway.

I've been thinking of getting a daytime Christmas retail job but I'm worried they'll want me early, super early, and I have to take dd14 to school every morning and pick her up in the afternoon. I have no idea if I could get her added to the bus route this late in the school year. She would probably flip at the idea of the bus anyway. I've just been kicking around the idea. I figure it would be easier to land a daytime job during the holidays than an evening job since lots of people would probably be wanting two jobs for the holidays.

What other kind of work is easy to get for not very skilled people?

• Hotel night auditor or part-time front desk agent

• Hospital overnight admissions or part-time admissions

• Barista for coffee shop

• Part-time valet for restaurant, hotel, or airport

• local police or fire dispatch openings (part-time and overnights are often needed)

Also, check ads or call around for nursing homes that have openings for visitor desk positions, that sort of thing.

What's helped us is to look at hours devoted to income, housework, and home schooling as a total sum to be distributed between us according to what's necessary for the family at the time. It's a fluid equation though. How many hours worked or meals cooked per week depends on who's got what job and what the overall situation is. Right now, I'm bringing in the sole income for the family, so my contribution to housework is reduced, but it's still a shared responsibility.

I would say that if you approach the whole income/ house hold jobs/ hs'ing as a shared load like that, where different members of the family step up as needed to assume responsibility for what they can at the time, it really helps take some of the load off of any one person, so neither you nor dh is having to bear that all the time by yourself, especially when you both must work.

BTW, the kids should be stepping up to the plate as well! They are members of the family, and as such, have their own contributions to make to both the household and their own educations. :)

:iagree: