Menu

Life of Pi & The Hobbit

Life of Pi is not an adventure book or just a survival story. It is an adult book, which uses the basic plot of shipwreck to explore, at a complex and mature level, philosophy and concepts of religious beliefs, identity, and the nature of man. There are some psychologically disturbing images (at least they were for this adult!) in the book as well. My recommendation is that the book would be best understood by adults, and possibly very mature older teens.

The Hobbit is a great read aloud for a 9yo. It is a fantasy adventure story, written with humor and a light touch, with encounters with trolls, goblins, giant spiders and a dragon. Enjoy! :)

Just my book review for the day! ;) Warmest regards, Lori D.

Life of Pi sounds so interesting!

Thanks for the suggestion. ;)

LOL - I know many here did not like Life of Pi, but I did. So did the older kid here just this fall (he turned 12 last week). He has always been old for age (and is accelerated across the boards).

LOL - I know many here did not like Life of Pi, but I did. So did the older kid here just this fall (he turned 12 last week). He has always been old for age (and is accelerated across the boards).

I did rail about Life of Pi but I do think Life of Pi was a good book, I think it was beautifully written and I did enjoy it. I wasn't entirely prepared for the book to be horrific which is why it was so disconcerting.

I agree with Lori D. I would no more hand a child Life of Pi than I would Lord of the Flies. If I thought someone was old enough for Lord of the Flies I would let them read Life of Pi.

I did rail about Life of Pi but I do think Life of Pi was a good book, I think it was beautifully written and I did enjoy it. I wasn't entirely prepared for the book to be horrific which is why it was so disconcerting.

I agree with Lori D. I would no more hand a child Life of Pi than I would Lord of the Flies. If I thought someone was old enough for Lord of the Flies I would let them read Life of Pi.

Good parallel. I would allow my oldest to read Lord of the Flies too, no problem. Going to add that to his must read list this year!

This is exactly my issue with Life of Pi. I had asked for beach reading. I meant light and fluffy. I was totally unprepared for what I encountered. It really is a good book, but I think you need to be prepared for what you're getting yourself into. And I don't think it's appropriate for children.

Life of Pi is not an adventure book or just a survival story. It is an adult book, which uses the basic plot of shipwreck to explore, at a complex and mature level, philosophy and concepts of religious beliefs, identity, and the nature of man. There are some psychologically disturbing images (at least they were for this adult!) in the book as well. My recommendation is that the book would be best understood by adults, and possibly very mature older teens.

The Hobbit is a great read aloud for a 9yo. It is a fantasy adventure story, written with humor and a light touch, with encounters with trolls, goblins, giant spiders and a dragon. Enjoy! :)

Just my book review for the day! ;) Warmest regards, Lori D.

:iagree::iagree::iagree: I adore Life of Pi, but I read it in college in a lit class where it could be fully appreciated and understood. NOT for a 9-year-old.