Menu

Do you have a typing program your dc doesn't hate?

We are 0 for 2 here. She used Type2Learn 3 in ps and hated it. She didn't like the female voice that "yelled" at her when she pressed the wrong key. Apparently it was an annoying high-pitched female voice. And it was timed, and she hates stuff that is timed, she just wigs out under the pressure.

Right now she is using Word Wacker, but she doesn't like it either. It beeps when she makes a mistake, which flusters her. I told her to turn off the sound. She said "But then how will I know when I made a mistake?"

How indeed, dear :glare:.

So, any ideas for a kid who really needs to learn to type, but doesn't like being a)timed or b)yelled or beeped at? Or really just anything your kid has liked for typing instruction?

I know, not everything is fun, and that is my current line - typing is something you just have to learn how to do, and it takes work and practice, and work and practice aren't always fun. That is the party line, and I am sticking to it! But I'm also willing to do a little research to see if there is something out there she might find a bit more pleasant. Or at least less obnoxious.

Thanks!

We are 0 for 2 here. She used Type2Learn 3 in ps and hated it. She didn't like the female voice that "yelled" at her when she pressed the wrong key. Apparently it was an annoying high-pitched female voice. And it was timed, and she hates stuff that is timed, she just wigs out under the pressure.

Right now she is using Word Wacker, but she doesn't like it either. It beeps when she makes a mistake, which flusters her. I told her to turn off the sound. She said "But then how will I know when I made a mistake?"

How indeed, dear :glare:.

So, any ideas for a kid who really needs to learn to type, but doesn't like being a)timed or b)yelled or beeped at? Or really just anything your kid has liked for typing instruction?

I know, not everything is fun, and that is my current line - typing is something you just have to learn how to do, and it takes work and practice, and work and practice aren't always fun. That is the party line, and I am sticking to it! But I'm also willing to do a little research to see if there is something out there she might find a bit more pleasant. Or at least less obnoxious.

Thanks!

:bigear: I'm considering trying the old-fashioned book approach. I have an old typing manual from the 1950's that I picked up cheap at a thrift store. I supposed we'd just open a word type document and have at it....

Typing Instructor for Kids was a huge hit here. I just bought it, installed it, and they played it on their own for fun and all learned to type very well with no nagging or scheduling time for it even.

I had them do the free BBC Dance Mat Typing first, which is where they learned the basics (no speed drills there), then switched to TIfK when they needed to increase speed (speed drills are all in the form of fun games).

Edited by matroyshka

We started with Timone and Pumba's typing tutor, they like to play the games on it. Then we got Typing Instructor for kids, which had a lot MORE games. And it allows you to set how "hard" the typing is by setting a goal, which the kids liked. Some games are more fun than others, but there are boy and girl games. The only thing I don't like with TI for kids is that you can't go back to get more practice on a particular set of letters without beginning the whole thing over.

Does timing bother her if it's part of a game?

Yeah, she really doesn't enjoy computer games with a timed component - so Timez Attack and other math quiz games have never been a hit. She can sit and do a page of problems quickly, but if the timer is on the pressure messes her up. It seems to be the same kind of thing with the timed typing.

I was going to recommend TuxTyping, but there is timing involved, so that probably wouldn't work. (The penguin tries to eat the fish as they float down the screen.)

ETA: There might be lessons/games with the program that aren't timed--I'm not sure. My dh and dd used the program a few years ago, so I'm not overly familiar with it.

In case anyone else is interested, here's a link:

http://tux4kids.alioth.debian.org/tuxtype/index.php

Typing Instructor is a huge favorite here, too. It's not timed and you can set the WPM for as high or low as you want (my kids started out at 5 WPM). Then the games after the lessons are based on how fast your WPM goal is and what keys you've learned.

The only thing I don't like with TI for kids is that you can't go back to get more practice on a particular set of letters without beginning the whole thing over.

If you go to Explorer Isle (on the left side of the Island screen), they can play games that only use the keys they've learned. So you can have them play as many games as they want until they're good at those keys!

Thanks, guys. I knew y'all would have some good suggestions. I'm going to make her try out some different free programs for awhile before plunking down $$ for a new program . . . She loved the BBC Dance Mat Typing thing! For whatever reason, little voices saying "type on me" doesn't bother her the way beeps do. And the British goat was a hit. I know this won't get us too far, but at least it might make typing fun for awhile, rather than a dreaded chore.

I was going to recommend TuxTyping, but there is timing involved, so that probably wouldn't work. (The penguin tries to eat the fish as they float down the screen.)

ETA: There might be lessons/games with the program that aren't timed--I'm not sure. My dh and dd used the program a few years ago, so I'm not overly familiar with it.

In case anyone else is interested, here's a link:

http://tux4kids.alioth.debian.org/tuxtype/index.php

Oh, no, I'm afraid that being solely responsible for the starvation of the penguin would be wayyyyyyyyyy too much pressure! ;)

Seriously, thanks - I'll check it out!

Thanks, guys. I knew y'all would have some good suggestions. I'm going to make her try out some different free programs for awhile before plunking down $$ for a new program . . . She loved the BBC Dance Mat Typing thing! For whatever reason, little voices saying "type on me" doesn't bother her the way beeps do. And the British goat was a hit. I know this won't get us too far, but at least it might make typing fun for awhile, rather than a dreaded chore.

Are you on a Mac? All three of my boys love Typing Tournament.

We were old-fashioned and just used a "learn to type book". I think this is the newer edition of the one we used. Slow and steady, we did about 1/2 to 1 page a day, throwing in the occasional repeat day as needed. Took about 10 minutes a day at most. Pretty painless, DSs didn't really complain. Only took about 3-4 months, and that was going at a slow pace through the book. BEST of luck! Warmly, Lori D.