Menu

Help with a word that makes me uncomfortable, need suggestions

Your opinion, please!  

1. 1. Your opinion, please!

• I'm older (you define), and I don't mind the word
    • I'm older (you define), and I do mind the word.
    • I'm younger (you define), and I don't mind the word.
    • I'm younger (you define), and I do mind the word.
    • I have a contemporary substitute that is a better one.

There was no answer I could choose.

I'm (almost) 40 and it always bothered me. Even in my 20s I couldn't stand it, even though it was acceptable in my home growing up.

DH comes from an earthy blue collar family and it is considered the sport of champions. Add to that I have 4 boys (and no girls). I've since gotten used to the idea. It no longer bothers me. It only took a decade. :lol:

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in my 30s & don't mind the word. Don't say it much anymore, though, as dh was raised not to say it and finds it crude. He says "poot", which I've gotten used to.

Really dislike toot & fluff (& the burp/cheese ones...ew!) My mom always called it "tootle" which I'm not overly fond of either. My 4yo niece says "poop gas" which is awful, but cracks me up, probably because of her way of saying things.

OK, this thread is KILLING me :lol: When DD10 was a toddler, we ended up with the term "butterfly," which suited me juuuuuust fine. No one had any clue what was happening when she talked about it. Then, when she was about 6, her father clued her in to the "f" word, and that was the end of our sweet butterflies :crying: I even have her on voice recorder teaching her younger sister, who was 3 at the time, what that word meant.

Oldest: J did a f@art!

Youngest (puzzled): Fert?!

Oldest: F@rt. It means to do a butterfly.

Youngest: F@rt?!

Me: *weeping silently in background*

DH was the youngest of three rowdy boys and the son of a rowdy mom. These were the boys who used to f@rt into bottles and put the lids back on tightly, then hand them off to their friends. There was very little hope for us to begin with.

This is reminding me of my grandmother. She'd be sitting there and you'd watch her just tip a little and let one go :lol:

Wouldn't matter where she was.

Granny did the right cheek sneak??? (Or maybe it was the left cheek...)

I recently heard this referred to as the one-cheek sneak and thought I would die laughing. DH was like, "That's the first time you've heard that? Where have you been hiding?!"

My oldest daughter, who is mortified by the mere thought, has convinced her younger siblings that she has never, ever...

I tried to convince some guy friends of that in college once. They all agreed that I must be very bloated then.

Where would one have such a discussion, except at home with their giggling young children? :tongue_smilie:

Well, here, apparently!

My youngest coined the term "Pootsniggle." When he was little he would come up to you, looking so sweet and loving. He crawl up in your lap and wrap his arms around your neck and kiss your cheek, just the sweetest little boy. Then he would whisper softly in your ear, "Mommy, I just pootsniggled you," followed by letting one rip right on your lap. Then he would jump down and run off laughing hysterically. I believe a pootsniggle was his combination of poot and snuggle.

:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

When I was a kid, "fart" was not acceptable but we used to be allowed to say "stink bomb." :tongue_smilie:

Other alternatives of greater or lesser appropriateness:

Tooted

Pooted

Who blew?

cut it [the cheese]

was that a mouse?

let it fly

how fragrant

a loud one / a silent one

silent but deadly

oh, MAN!

I am older (38) and I do mind the work. To me it is crude.

I say passing wind. and then only rarely I grew up where it was something not talked about at all. You tried to do silent ones and pretended not to notice if someone did one. Loud ones were NOT allowed at all.

My DH grew up in a family of LOUD. I wonder if they have a bowel problem (defect) as he doesn't seem to be able to do silent ones at all (joke), and he seems to be one of the most gassy persons I have ever met.

My children call them smellies, and they all are for the silent ones, but they will make comments like "who did that smelly".

I have heard other people call them fluffing.

I have small children so this does get said some, however it is really discouraged. I'm in the camp that doesn't see the need to discuss this unless saying excuse me. My dh also doesn't like to hear this sort of talk, including talk about burping and such as well and is more strict than I am. If my son brings up body functions or does any of the above at the table and it appears on purpose or is not followed by an excuse me he gets to sit at the other table.

We pretty much ignore them, but use the term "had gas" when necessary. At least, that's what my family says in my presence:) (they know I don't like the other words). I love the term my dad uses. He used to be a jet pilot, and when someone lets go a noisy one, he says "a supersonic mosquito!" (the noise is the little mosquito sonic boom).

I voted younger (38) and it bothers me. It sounds so gross. My MIL thinks its just fine, though, so there goes your theory.

I say pass gas, toot, or prdle (slovak with english conjugation).

Eta: when my dad passes gas he always blames it on chipmunks out in he yard. Only at home, of course.

I'm in the camp that doesn't see the need to discuss this unless saying excuse me.

You remind me of the phase when one of my daughters would sweetly say, in public places where all could hear, "excuse me, I farted." Thanks for the valuable information, kid. :tongue_smilie:

When I was a kid, it was a source of embarrassment (if you had any shame, which some family members did not!), so I would try really hard not to pass gas except in the bathroom (and even then, silently!). Once I was babysitting for a more modern family and a minor mishap occurred. The kids noticed and asked me about it. "Oh, did you have a little gas?" I tried to deny it and change the subject, but they were having none of it. "Why are you lying about it?" I'm pretty sure their mom got a detailed report about that incident when she got home. :glare:

My father, who is one of the gassiest people I know, is fond of the ones like "barking spiders" or "There's a kiss for you." I'll admit that most of my life he really just grossed me out.

But lately he has been using "trumpets of love" and while I'd never let him know secretly it makes me laugh, a lot.