Menu

Neighbors, Dogs, and How to Keep the Peace?

I have a situation and am not sure how to handle it without making things tense with our very next door neighbors.

They have a little dog who hates all dogs, but seems especially aggressive towards ours. Neighbor dog has gotten away w/o a leash a couple of times while we're out (with our dog on a leash) and makes a beeline for him and attacks. The other times dh was able to step in quickly and boot neighbor dog out of the way. Our dog would just roll toes up because he is most definitely not a fighter. No one was ever hurt.

Yesterday, I opened the door to take out our dog and before I could step out neighbor dog was all over my dog. This time my dog fought back. I don't know if it was because the neighbor dog was almost in our house or because it was me with him this time. My dog is fine but neighbor dog had a few bite marks. Neighbors apologized, asked about shots, and had a kind of "this is just what dogs do" mentality. :confused:

I'm hoping since their dog was actually hurt maybe they will make sure she doesn't get loose again (they have a fenced back yard). I'm worried though about what might have happened if it had been one of my dds who had taken him out or what might happen if he's with one of them next time.

We have no plans on moving anytime soon, they have no plans on moving anytime soon, and there are kids involved in both homes. If we make a formal complaint with animal control, how bad would it get? Is there possibly another way to handle this, or do we just have to assume things are going to get nasty? Would you file a complaint, wait to see if it happens again, or do something else?

Sorry it got long.

I'm worried though about what might have happened if it had been one of my dds who had taken him out or what might happen if he's with one of them next time.

I would tell the neighbors this and ask that they be extra vigilant about not letting their dog get loose. If they fail to do so, then I would contact animal control. A loose dog doesn't bother me much, but a loose aggressive one sure does.

It would depend on the vibe that I got from the neighbors. If the dog just play "great escape artist" a couple of times, I would probably let it go. If the neighbor doesn't keep the dog contained (which I always define as physically contained with a fence, leash, or chain) as the usual course, then I would just assume it's going to get ugly and go ahead and report the incident to animal control. Partly because you want them to change their behavior, but mostly because you want to create a paper trail of their negligence should something more serious happen.

I like the idea of telling them if it happens again we will report it. Dh is out of town but when he gets back this is probably what we will do.

The first time the dog got loose he was tethered outside. They now have a fence. The last three times the dog has got loose was out the front door or they were playing with him right outside their front door but w/o a leash. He may be just a great escape artist, but I would think since he always attacks my dog when he gets out that they would try harder to keep him contained when playing out front or opening the door.

Really no advice, just hugs. I had all but forgot that when we moved here, on moving day, the neighbors dog attacked and bit our dog in our yard. We let it go the first time, even tho it eventualy involved a trip to the vet. It happened again a year or so later, and we still paid the bill, but the vet office offered to call them and ask about shots, etc. They had their dog updated with shots then, but were really ticked. BTW, they have a completely fenced in back yard and we did not. It happend on our property both times as our dog was well trained and behaved himself.

They were not responsible and it got ugly. We did have to call the police, and then it got worse.

We were glad when they moved two years ago. Sad to say.

Some animals are born escape artists. This dog sounds like one. I do not think they sound negligent, they built a fence to keep him in, after all. I do not see what animal control is really going to do in this situation other than make them angry. I think you need to be extra careful.

Some animals are born escape artists. This dog sounds like one. I do not think they sound negligent, they built a fence to keep him in, after all. I do not see what animal control is really going to do in this situation other than make them angry. I think you need to be extra careful.

See, this bugs me. I don't mind that the dog escapes, but I do mind that he attacks my dog when he does. I guess I really don't like the idea that we are the ones that have to be extra vigilent to avoid our dog being attacked in our own yard. Not upset at what you said, just the general idea that they might not have any responsibility for the fact their dog is so aggressive toward other dogs. This whole thing just sucks right now.

I would get animal control involved. I know others have said "What are they really going to do" and that the neighbors have taken reasonable measures to prevent this. Um no they didn't. If they know they have a dog that is an escape artist, then they need to make sure they don't leave said dog unattended. If the dog can't be trusted to be in the fenced yard without getting out then the dog isn't left unattended in the yard. Now if they have kids that are forgetting to close a gate etc, then that needs to be adressed as well.

I do not think they sound negligent, they built a fence to keep him in, after all.

Whether or not they built a fence, anything less than *actually* keeping him contained IS negligent. It might be that this is more dog than they can handle. They may need to get rid of him.

I would give them a warning that the next time he's out, I'm calling animal control. Animal control can fine them and can confiscate the dog if they can't control it.

Is he getting out of their fence or slipping out the door or off the leash? If it's the fence, I think it's absolutely their responsibility to either take steps to make their fence more secure or always be out there with him to make sure he doesn't get out. I'm kind of surprised so many people are saying it's no big deal. I have a dog who's an escape artist, but she's also completely people and dog friendly and is only a danger to herself when she gets out. I also have a dog who's dog aggressive (not at all people aggressive, thank goodness), and there's NO WAY I would let a situation where she was repeatedly getting out and attacking another dog go on without fixing it. It's VERY easy for people to wind up getting hurt trying to break up dog fights, even with dogs who are generally people friendly. Fighting dogs don't always know who or what they're biting.

Some animals are born escape artists. This dog sounds like one. I do not think they sound negligent, they built a fence to keep him in, after all.

I think they sound negligent. Here's why:

The last three times the dog has got loose was out the front door or they were playing with him right outside their front door but w/o a leash. He may be just a great escape artist, but I would think since he always attacks my dog when he gets out that they would try harder to keep him contained when playing out front or opening the door.

astrid

It depends on what you want to be with your neighbors. If you want to go out of your way to try and avoid hard feelings, then take them off the defense. Tell them you want to make sure there pup is never in harms way, and what can you do to help them with that.

I do NOT love dogs. My neighbors have a nuisance dog. That thing barks all freaking day. It barks if you open the door, if it steps on a leaf, if you talk, and on and on. And homes here are close together. If I'm outside it runs at the fence.

Dogs should be on an leash though.

I would get animal control involved. I know others have said "What are they really going to do" and that the neighbors have taken reasonable measures to prevent this. Um no they didn't. If they know they have a dog that is an escape artist, then they need to make sure they don't leave said dog unattended. If the dog can't be trusted to be in the fenced yard without getting out then the dog isn't left unattended in the yard. Now if they have kids that are forgetting to close a gate etc, then that needs to be adressed as well.

:iagree:

When you are a dog owner, you are responsible for your dog. If your dog shows you that he can't be trusted off leash, then, he is never to be off leash. I would call animal control now because, if they are that clueless, they may try to get you to pay vet bills for their dog.

Is he getting out of their fence or slipping out the door or off the leash? If it's the fence, I think it's absolutely their responsibility to either take steps to make their fence more secure or always be out there with him to make sure he doesn't get out. I'm kind of surprised so many people are saying it's no big deal. I have a dog who's an escape artist, but she's also completely people and dog friendly and is only a danger to herself when she gets out. I also have a dog who's dog aggressive (not at all people aggressive, thank goodness), and there's NO WAY I would let a situation where she was repeatedly getting out and attacking another dog go on without fixing it. It's VERY easy for people to wind up getting hurt trying to break up dog fights, even with dogs who are generally people friendly. Fighting dogs don't always know who or what they're biting.

:iagree: I'm pretty surprised too. If you have a dog who's aggressive and/or an escape artist, you don't play with him outdoors without a leash, and you don't open the front door with the dog right there. A few times is a few times too many, IMO. And I find the fact that this dog was anywhere near your door before you even opened it very concerning. Where were the owners that the dog was already on your property, so close to your home?

I would tell them, nicely, that it's a problem and that you're now very concerned about the safety of your dog, THEIR dog, yourself, and your children, and that you don't want to have to call animal control, but you will if there's another problem. I really think it's the only way to go. Hopefully they'll be understanding, but it's better to have alienated neighbors than injured pets or humans :(

You need to record this in some type of formal way. How would you handle it if say.... later it became infected and they wanted to claim that your dog wasn't on a leash or in your yard? A dog who's been bitten can become increasingly aggressive which has two problems for you. First, this affects how your dog could act with other dogs. Second, your dog could be attacked, fight back, and your kids (or theirs) could be caught in the middle. I've always taught my kids to try to keep our dog from other dogs, but in the end, dogs are dogs... and they need to get out of the way.

My dog isn't agressive, but is around 65lbs and has been attacked 3 times :(

I missed the post about how the dog is playing in the front yard without a leash the first time. So they have a dog who they know isn't under voice control and who they know to be dog aggressive; either one of those is plenty of reason to ALWAYS have the dog on a leash or inside a fence.

I guess what I'd do next would depend on how you think they'd respond to one more serious talk about the problem. Maybe an "oh, gosh, I know I'm such a nervous nellie, but I'm afraid someone's going to get hurt--could you please make sure the dog doesn't get loose again" preserve the peace sort of thing...but only if you think there's an excellent chance it will work.

I understand, but don't agree. :( When your dog is an escape artist, you are extra vigilant to train the dog.... to keep it leashed.... to make a way that it can't get out. I understand that dogs get out. Mine, in 5 years, has gotten out maybe 5 or 6 times... Because our dog circles and runs to the front door to get back in, I'm not worried. If ours was aggressive, I'd have to put extra rules on what we do with it. Our dog knows not to just run out the front door. There are many things you can do, including training it with invisible fencing, putting it in the kennel before you open the door....leashing it when playing in the front. The main thing is that it's their dog and they need to come up with a plan to keep it in their yard.

:)

They need to keep their dog on a leash or in their fenced back yard, period. The very occasional escape? Understood. Playing with the dog off leash? Stupid.

That said, I think you have a tough call to make. If you call animal control now, you likely will make them defensive. They may even go ahead and seek to report your dog for the bites it inflicted on their dog. It will definitely cause tension. However, you would not be being unreasonable if you did report them.

I'm not in your shoes, but I think what I might do is have another talk with them first. I'd approach it from the angle that you are concerned and worried (any reasonable person should be understanding of these emotions). Concerned and worried that their dog is going to get hurt because it is aggressive to other dogs and, more importantly, that some person--especially a kiddo--could get caught in the middle. That they NEED to PLEASE not let their dog off leash again, period.

Sorry you are dealing with this. Some people are just clueless.

I would call animal control with each incident to have a record of what happened, where it happened, and what the neighbors intend to do to keep it from happening again. Our dog was an escape artist, but she was just a roamer, never hurt anyone (scared of her own shadow), but if she had, then we would have gotten rid of her to protect our kids and the neighborhood. Your neighbors need to be more responsible if they are going to own a dog. I do not agree that that is what dogs do. I have had many dogs, and none of them have ever attacked another living thing.