Menu

Open House at the High School

My 8th grader has always been homeschooled. The local public high school has an open house night this fall for interested 8th grade students. We're on the fence about homeschooling high school. This school scores well on the state tests and offers AP classes. What questions should I ask at open house? Thanks!

How are class placements determined? (standardized tests, 8th grade teacher recommendations, prerequisites, etc)

What are the typical course sequences for the average student, college-bound student, honors student? What courses are available for upperclassmen?

How long are the class periods? Is every day the same or is there block scheduling or rotational scheduling?

What are the requirements for graduation? How many electives may a student take? Are there non-academic (ie arts or foods or shop-type classes) electives available?

If you have students showing you around schools, ask what they would most like to change about their school, in addition to the usual "what's your favorite class/club/activity" questions. My dd17 was asked that question when leading a tour this week. She replied that she'd like to see more of an emphasis in class scheduling on the arts (The school tried a new schedule this year which resulted in juniors and seniors not getting the Concert Choir class slot for which they auditioned last spring. The first few weeks of school were a mess.)

We are visiting open houses this year with our seventh grader. She has special math requirements so I've been asking mainly math-related questions!

Some schools have been very up-front with information but others have not.

Also, ask how they handle the transition of a homeschooled student into their high school.

Our local high school "punishes" homeschooled 8th graders with a policy that "all homeschoolers are behind" and so they MUST take only remedial classes their first year. Therefore, no algebra 1, geometry, or algebra 2 for them regardless of their standardized test scores or portfolio of work provided by the parent, no honors courses, no English Literature, no foreign language, no biology or chemistry - they are automatically placed in life science (remedial science for non-college bound students), etc. however they are allowed to sign up for band and choir. Yet, they cannot be placed in a first chair position in band or sectional lead in choir regardless of ability until they've attended for one full year.

As a result, many of the homeschooled kids in this community whose parents are not going to homeschool for high school, return their children to PS for 8th grade so they can prove their abilities before high school begins and won't be penalized. Some return as early as 7th grade if they need algebra 1 for 8th grade because they are automatically sent to a lower math upon enrollment.

So, definitely, you must, must, must talk to the faculty and the principal and you should have a paper copy of their policy.

Faith

Also, ask how they handle the transition of a homeschooled student into their high school.

Our local high school "punishes" homeschooled 8th graders with a policy that "all homeschoolers are behind" and so they MUST take only remedial classes their first year. Therefore, no algebra 1, geometry, or algebra 2 for them regardless of their standardized test scores or portfolio of work provided by the parent, no honors courses, no English Literature, no foreign language, no biology or chemistry - they are automatically placed in life science (remedial science for non-college bound students), etc. however they are allowed to sign up for band and choir. Yet, they cannot be placed in a first chair position in band or sectional lead in choir regardless of ability until they've attended for one full year.

As a result, many of the homeschooled kids in this community whose parents are not going to homeschool for high school, return their children to PS for 8th grade so they can prove their abilities before high school begins and won't be penalized. Some return as early as 7th grade if they need algebra 1 for 8th grade because they are automatically sent to a lower math upon enrollment.

So, definitely, you must, must, must talk to the faculty and the principal and you should have a paper copy of their policy.

Faith

My goodness! I've never heard of such ridiculous treatment of a student! How can they get away with behaving that way? You'd think they would welcome additional students and work with parents to make it a good experience. This is a great argument for school choice, and school competition. They must be "the only game in town"? :glare:

Sheesh!

My goodness! I've never heard of such ridiculous treatment of a student! How can they get away with behaving that way? You'd think they would welcome additional students and work with parents to make it a good experience. This is a great argument for school choice, and school competition. They must be "the only game in town"? :glare:

Sheesh!

Well, they do lose some homeschoolers to the district west of them because their policy is much better. It depends on if the family wants the local district for the convenience of bussing, or if they are willing to drive them. Our niece was enrolled in the nicer district and her parents drove her. She was allowed to enroll in the classes she needed.

I do know that there are states in which a homeschooler coming in as say a sophomore or a junior starts/is enrolled as a freshman because they do not accept homeschool credits.

Of course, all of the schools in our county are abysmal performers anyway so it really cracks me up when they point fingers at homeschoolers for being "behind".

Faith

Edited by FaithManor

I do know that there are states in which a homeschooler coming in as say a sophomore or a junior starts is enrolled as a freshman because they do not accept homeschool credits.

Of course, all of the schools in our county are abysmal performers anyway so it really cracks me up when they point fingers at homeschoolers for being "behind".

Faith

This is what our local high school does. Why not just test them into a certain level? I think that the nature of working for the state makes it impossible to think, or work, outside the box. Not the fault of the public school employees. They're just doing their job, I guess. Just their job.... no more, no less. :thumbdown:

What questions should I ask at open house? Thanks!

What is the bathroom policy?

What is the lunch policy?

Are students allowed to miss school for extracurricular events (from local concerts to the Olympics) or family trips?

What colleges are their students accepted to?

What colleges do they go to?

What is the four year college graduation rate of their students?

What percentage of students take the SAT/ACT and what is the average score?

How many classes per term are students allowed to take? (Mine was 5, so with the required courses, you could take band OR a foreign language, not both)

What are the prerequisites? (one local high school only allows students to take a foreign language if they have a B or better in language arts)

Who has to approve course selection? (ie who is the gatekeeper?)

What's the bus schedule?

I have to tell you, my daughter was in a private Lutheran school K-8. She went to public high school in a good area, high test scores, lots of AP classes, etc. she was there only three months due to medical issues, and once she figured out she wasn't going back, she admitted that the ps did FAR less than her private school did. It was more "fun" because the kids messed around so much during class, but so much less was done on a daily basis, she was shocked.

Because she came from a private school (eek!) she was also ineligible for the higher level classes. They did put her in honors English because they had room ( although I can't see why it was an Honors level course) but she was not allowed to be on the highest track, which included Alg 2, Chemistry, etc. At our district, they do everything by what math you're in. Dd did Alg 1 as an 8th grader, so that determined her track in science as well. I had to fight to get her into Biology and not Earth Science. Also, there is no history for 9th graders, so now she is having to do an extra year at home to make up for it.

Do you have to put dc in public? I won't put dd back in public for any reason. I have had to redo some of the stuff she supposedly did last year! Good luck with whatever decision you make.

What grades take the PSAT and do all students take it or just a select few?

I would be looking for at least all juniors with an openness for younger grades. If only a handful take it I would be concerned about the pre-college guidance.

How long does it take the guidance office to turn around requests for transcripts or recommendations?

Do younger students have access to upper level courses or ap courses or is there a policy restricting them to juniors and seniors?

Frankly, you are not going to get the time for all of these questions at Open House. It's more of a tour, and "see how we clean up" type of event. Go to it. Get a feel. You may get a few minutes here and there for questions, but no one has the time to be with you for an hour long personalized Q&A on such topics that are really pertaining to your child's individual situation.

THEN make an appointment to speak with the Guidance Counselor, one on one, to ask these questions. THAT is where you will get all the information that you need, without it being a burden to the person, and the other hundreds of parents sitting at Open house with you :).

In our area some AP classes overlap others so you would have to choose one or the other but not both.

This is very common at my public school as well. The years that AP Chemistry has been offered, the kids still have to choose between taking AP Physics B or AP Chemistry since they are always offered during the same block period.

Just keep in mind that the school admins are Really, Really trying to impress you.

They Really, Really want you to enroll your son.

And your son may get stars in his eyes based on what he sees at the Open House.

Just be prepared to see the BEST of what they have to offer. (And personally, I think it's a good idea to go, to get a feel for what they are offering.):001_smile:

Frankly, you are not going to get the time for all of these questions at Open House. It's more of a tour, and "see how we clean up" type of event. Go to it. Get a feel. You may get a few minutes here and there for questions, but no one has the time to be with you for an hour long personalized Q&A on such topics that are really pertaining to your child's individual situation.

THEN make an appointment to speak with the Guidance Counselor, one on one, to ask these questions. THAT is where you will get all the information that you need, without it being a burden to the person, and the other hundreds of parents sitting at Open house with you :).

:iagree:

My DD1 (age 14) began PS this fall in 9th grade. Her school allowed us to pick the level of all classes, knowing that "it is in our best interest" to see that she was placed appropriately. I provided them with some work samples and a middle school course of study so they could see what classes she had taken. That, paired with 2 years of standardized test scores, was enough for them to allow her to take honors English, honors science and geometry (rather than algebra 1 which would have been the default placement).

For middle school she took online English & French classes via TPS and studied Saxon math with a tutor. Her PS high school classes are VERY challenging and the grading is tough. I'm completely impressed and sure that she would not have been prepared without a rigorous home school approach over the last several years. I just wanted to share our experience lest you think all public high schools are lame. :) Obviously, your school may be different, but I'd recommend keeping your mind open until you see it and check the numbers for yourself (AP test scores, 4-year college completion rates, etc).

For middle school she took online English & French classes via TPS and studied Saxon math with a tutor. Her PS high school classes are VERY challenging and the grading is tough. I'm completely impressed and sure that she would not have been prepared without a rigorous home school approach over the last several years. I just wanted to share our experience lest you think all public high schools are lame. :) Obviously, your school may be different, but I'd recommend keeping your mind open until you see it and check the numbers for yourself (AP test scores, 4-year college completion rates, etc).

The high school mine would attend looks very good on the surface. There is almost no crime, and we've been on campus and are quite comfortable being there. They welcome homeschoolers, and are reasonable about credits. They have lots of honors, dual enrollment, and AP classes in the catalog.

The reality is that the advanced classes are not always offered (AP Latin hasn't been offered in years), and the AP scores are not impressive (most get 2's or 3's). Increasingly the top students are going to the local community college because of transfer agreements, and I can tell you that the community college is very concerned. Even those in the top 10% of their class are generally requiring remedial math and/or English. And percentage from that high school who graduate from community college and go on to a 4-year school is depressing. Mostly I keep my mouth shut though. I figure that people are looking for what they want to see.

Edited by GVA