Menu

Entertain me

I need to distract myself from the nausea. TV is either uninteresting or involves too much thinking....more brain power than I can handle right now (involved plots, etc). I've done over 100 word finds in the last week or two - they've worked well, but I'm finally tiring of them. I need something else to occupy my brain/distract me without involving too much thought. I don't think I could handle the thought involved in crosswords or sudoku. I'm pretty much stuck in a semi-reclined position on the couch/bed. Ideas? Something I could maybe order on Amazon?

Even a website? I've played a few games on Pogo....but I can only look at the computer screen so long before it, too, makes me nauseous.

Thanks!

Do you knit or crochet? If not, you could start without much thought or effort. Amazon has lots of books with clear instructions and supplies. There are plenty of online instructional sites & videos, too.

I hope you are feeling even a little better today. :grouphug:

Do you knit or crochet? If not, you could start without much thought or effort. Amazon has lots of books with clear instructions and supplies. There are plenty of online instructional sites & videos, too.

I hope you are feeling even a little better today. :grouphug:

I don't, but I really like this idea :). I like the idea of maybe making something (a blanket?) for the baby. Which would be easier to start with?

I like looking for music videos on Youtube. I like the ones made by fans using clips from a tv show.

Perhaps you can find me some music videos to watch? :)

The other day I was looking for a fan made music video to the song, "You owe me nothing in return".

It featured clips from the TV show Charmed showing the love story between piper and the angel she ended up marrying. But now I can't find it. :(

I just find it a great way to reminisce about old favorite TV shows.

Easier? Depends upon who you ask!:tongue_smilie: I find knitting much easier than crocheting, but many find the opposite to be true. Crochet, as a rule, moves faster than knitting, so you may want to try that if you are hoping to do a blanket for the baby.

Have you played the Horrible Histories games on the BBC website? They are really fun. Yes, they are for kids, but they are still fun!

Are you on Pinterest? That'll keep you going for a while. Sometimes I just go to the catagories place and then click on Humor. Some of it's rude, but a lot is pretty hilarious.

I don't, but I really like this idea :). I like the idea of maybe making something (a blanket?) for the baby. Which would be easier to start with?

Crochet is easier, imo, especially if you're teaching yourself. Since I've been on bed rest I've made two hats, a sweater, a pair of booties (they look like Mary Janes--so cute!), and I've started on another pair. I ordered yarn yesterday for a blanket--can't wait for it to get here so I can get started! Anyway, it's a good way to keep busy & do something useful. I like to crochet while I have something familiar on the tv or my kindle (if it's something I haven't seen before it's too distracting!). There are some simple patterns out there for blankets that would be easy for a beginner.:001_smile:

I knew the Hive would keep me busy :)

Now...what do I need to send somebody to get me to start this crocheting adventure?

Absolutely a great idea!

Maybe there are some youtube instructional videos.

You could just start with the junky yarn you have in the house?

I know Hobby Lobby has a great selection of really, really soft yarn. They also have weekly sales. :001_smile:

Maybe I'll take up crocheting too. :001_smile:

I also vote crochet. I taught myself just a couple of weekends ago via youtube and the tutorials at Stitch11 (you will probably have to go to previous days to get to the beginning basics under her beginners link). I went out and bought a cheap set of hooks by Boyle from the local Walmart and wish I would have just saved the few dollars because they are a PIA to use. I needed a size bigger for a project and got a Susan Bates brand one from Joann's (Hobby Lobby carries them as well) and it makes all the difference in the world for level of frustration. Have whoever gets the hooks for you also pick up some cotton yarn so you can start out by making some simple baby wash cloths (there is a pattern on that stitch11 site if you search for wash cloth although she calls it a dish cloth).

What are you kids doing while you are reclining? Do you have to keep them occupied?

I was on bedrest for a month when my twins were 35 months old. They had just started to watch tv when I started morning sickness and they only where interested in the tv for about 15-20 minutes. Not sure what I did to pass the time with them now. We probably read a lot. I read to them for hours when they were little.

Mostly, my 12yr old is entertaining them. That and TV. It's awful, but if I talk too much, it makes me throw up. I know that sounds odd, but the act of speaking triggers my gag reflex.

I believe they actually tell you all that in the videos I linked. They are parts 1 and 2 of Crocheting for the ABSOLUTE Beginner.

Okay, I'll go watch. I actually found that we have crochet hooks and yarn. Oldest DD had them :) I have the chain stitch figured out. My computer is acting up, so I was hoping to find a written tutorial for the rest, but I'm just not getting it. I can't figure out how to go beyond the chain, lol.

You may crochet after you call the doctor's office and switch to the nicer one!!!!! :D

Hehe :) I'm taking DH with me to my first "real" appt on Monday. We'll make a decision after that as to what we're going to do. I think I already know, but....

I did find out today that I actually have standing orders (for the weekends only) at the infusion center until delivery. WHY did nobody tell me this? I only found out because I called the dr's office to get some orders for the weekend, so I didn't have to make an ER trip. Low and behold, I was informed that I already had standing orders until delivery. Who knew?

Mostly, my 12yr old is entertaining them. That and TV. It's awful, but if I talk too much, it makes me throw up. I know that sounds odd, but the act of speaking triggers my gag reflex.

Okay, I'll go watch. I actually found that we have crochet hooks and yarn. Oldest DD had them :) I have the chain stitch figured out. My computer is acting up, so I was hoping to find a written tutorial for the rest, but I'm just not getting it. I can't figure out how to go beyond the chain, lol.

Hehe :) I'm taking DH with me to my first "real" appt on Monday. We'll make a decision after that as to what we're going to do. I think I already know, but....

I did find out today that I actually have standing orders (for the weekends only) at the infusion center until delivery. WHY did nobody tell me this? I only found out because I called the dr's office to get some orders for the weekend, so I didn't have to make an ER trip. Low and behold, I was informed that I already had standing orders until delivery. Who knew?

Walmart has an "I can't believe I'm crocheting!" book (I'm sure you can get it elsewhere too). A friend in college taught me how to chain & then the basic single crochet stitch, but after that I learned with the book (more of a magazine). I think there are also sets out there for small, simple projects that include instructions, hook, yarn, and any other materials. If you get one of the instructional books for beginners and have youtube vids as a back-up to get a visual for things you don't understand, you'd probably be set.

I'm sure your library has some crochet books. I just can't follow those. I need to watch it action a few times myself. I learned to knit from online videos mostly. And YAY on the standing orders!!

Okay.....I think I finally got the single stitch. Phew!

I actually have a harder time with the single stitch then some of the others. The other stitches grow faster so you have something to hang on to. I have also found out that once you get past the chain/first row into the chain part, it gets easier.

I actually have a harder time with the single stitch then some of the others. The other stitches grow faster so you have something to hang on to. I have also found out that once you get past the chain/first row into the chain part, it gets easier.

That's true. And the bigger stitches are easier to see/distinguish from each other when you're trying to count them. It's also easier to accidentally get single stitches too tight than other stitches, ime. But once you've got the idea, it makes the other stitches easy to learn.