Menu

thoughts on our choices: VERY eclectic !

we are VERY eclectic and laid back in how we homeschool. both my dd's want to be stay at home, homeschooling their children when they grow up, so we have not felt the need to push academics down them, but focus more on family and taking care of the house and pets and such. my oldest is in 9th this year (my younger dd has learning disabilities which partly led us to the eclectic path).

i would love some thoughts on our schedule, but from an eclectic, constructive point of you, please no bashing. thanks so much!!

math: tt algebra (but switching to life of fred as soon as it arrives)

english: finishing up reviewing winston grammar / daily grams jr-sr

writing: hake writing grade 8 (then was thinking of doing the paragraph book series & writing skills series)

reading: just finished up grimms fairy tales (also have romeo & juliet done this year ... not sure what she is starting next but probably a fairy tale retelling, more literature will be added variously)

spelling & vocab: she is just finishing spelling workout 8 next week and im thinking of just correcting spelling from writing and vocab from reading?

science: small group private tutor doing chemistry this year

history: mystery of history

art: photography co -op

p.e: gymnastics class

we also attend 3 co op classes that are more for fun and friendships and she also has weekly bible study class.

thoughts???:grouphug:

we are VERY eclectic and laid back in how we homeschool. both my dd's want to be stay at home, homeschooling their children when they grow up, so we have not felt the need to push academics down them, but focus more on family and taking care of the house and pets and such. my oldest is in 9th this year (my younger dd has learning disabilities which partly led us to the eclectic path).

i would love some thoughts on our schedule, but from an eclectic, constructive point of you, please no bashing. thanks so much!!

math: tt algebra (but switching to life of fred as soon as it arrives)

writing: hake writing grade 8 (then was thinking of doing the paragraph book series & writing skills series)

reading: just finished up grimms fairy tales (also have romeo & juliet done this year ... not sure what she is starting next but probably a fairy tale retelling, more literature will be added variously)

spelling & vocab: she is just finishing spelling workout 8 next week and im thinking of just correcting spelling from writing and vocab from reading?

history: mystery of history

p.e: gymnastics class

we also attend 3 co op classes that are more for fun and friendships and she also has weekly bible study class.

thoughts???:grouphug:

Usually, at the high school level it's "literature," not "reading." Yes, vocabulary is found in the literature selections; spelling is not generally a "subject" at all. Also, it is most common for high school to have one course called "English," which includes composition and literature, with grammar as necessary. :-) I'm just saying that even though you're not planning on higher education at this point, it's entirely possible that your dd's plans may change in the future (sometimes even stay-at-home mothers need to consider furthering their education, because they become responsible for their family's income), and she'll want a transcript; that transcript should look like those given in public and private schools. :-)

Also, you should know these things anyway. :-)

I would not think that a high school-age young person would need practice in writing paragraphs.

Which leads to Mystery of History: you'd want to specify what kind of history, not the instructional materials you're using. IOW, is it world history? ancient history? modern history? U.S. history?

Science and math look good to me.

Usually, at the high school level it's "literature," not "reading." Yes, vocabulary is found in the literature selections; spelling is not generally a "subject" at all. Also, it is most common for high school to have one course called "English," which includes composition and literature, with grammar as necessary. :-) I'm just saying that even though you're not planning on higher education at this point, it's entirely possible that your dd's plans may change in the future (sometimes even stay-at-home mothers need to consider furthering their education, because they become responsible for their family's income), and she'll want a transcript; that transcript should look like those given in public and private schools. :-)

Also, you should know these things anyway. :-)

I would not think that a high school-age young person would need practice in writing paragraphs.

Which leads to Mystery of History: you'd want to specify what kind of history, not the instructional materials you're using. IOW, is it world history? ancient history? modern history? U.S. history?

Science and math look good to me.

thanks so much for the input!! would you possibly have some suggestions then for the compostion & literature and then i would imagine that what i have for writing could be dropped entirely and that would become composition? is that correct?

One thing that jumped out at me was science: Will this arrangement lead to the completion of a full chemistry high school credit?

How often does the chemistry class meet? Daily? What work is required outside of class? What textbook is the tutor using? How can your student succeed in high school level chemistry without having completed algebra 1?

Ellie already commented on English: it is typically one credit.

I do not see any foreign language.

One thing that jumped out at me was science: Will this arrangement lead to the completion of a full chemistry high school credit?

How often does the chemistry class meet? Daily? What work is required outside of class? What textbook is the tutor using? How can your student succeed in high school level chemistry without having completed algebra 1?

Ellie already commented on English: it is typically one credit.

I do not see any foreign language.

chemistry works out to one credit. it meets weekly for 2 hours for 36 weeks with labs included and has a minimum of an hours homework each week. i forgot the actual name of the book, but the class is taught to five students by a local high school chemistry teacher and he is using the book that is used there, macmillan i believe?

i guess the english part is what im confused on .. what makes up that credit? reading literature books and composition?

chemistry works out to one credit. it meets weekly for 2 hours for 36 weeks with labs included and has a minimum of an hours homework each week. i forgot the actual name of the book, but the class is taught to five students by a local high school chemistry teacher and he is using the book that is used there, macmillan i believe?

i guess the english part is what im confused on .. what makes up that credit? reading literature books and composition?

I would think the science would be fine if it's a high school text taught by a high school teacher. Although like a pp stated, I'd be concerned that she can handle the chemistry workload without being familiar with algebra 1 first, if the text is predominately math-based.

You're not alone; high school English confuses me too! We are using a very eclectic, self-made plan for DS's 9th grade English.

DS is working his way through BJU Writing & Grammar 8 doing 1 chapter every 2 weeks. Yes, his grammar skills are really that bad! We just started working on pre-creative writing skills in preparation for NaNoWriMo (where you write a novel in 1 month) for a writing component.

I also gave him a lengthy list of 9th grade level books, plays, and short stories and told him to pick what he wanted to read. Out of 11 selections (he picked 9 and I added 2), I assigned 4 novels as free reading that won't have any assignments due. The rest have assignments that cover vocabulary, plus some combination of literature analysis, comprehension, and writing skills:

- Animal Farm & Fahrenheit 451 - discussion questions and a compare/contrast paper between the books;

- The Outsiders - lengthy book/movie comparison worksheet;

- I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings - online comprehension quizzes;

- The Secret Life of Walter Mitty - writing a new fantasy in the same style and tone as the original short story;

- The Taming of the Shrew - discussion questions and short essay selected from a list of topics; and

- Edgar Allan Poe unit study - will include a variety of stories, poems, and assignments, all to be determined based upon how much time he has left before the school year ends.

Over the summer, we'll might cover another book or two that I couldn't make fit into this year's plans.

oh and too add... foreign language, she started doing french last year but decided she hated it. went cant afford any of the "good" programs, so i momentarily have it off for this year. if theres anything anyone could recommend thats affordable, im all ears :bigear:

We're struggling to find a decent but affordable Spanish course so I can well understand your dilemma. You might see if the Mango Language programs are available from your library. We haven't tried them yet, but it's on my list of things to delve into. The BBC has some language programs that DS likes (beginner Spanish is a 22-lesson interactive mystery video) and we'll follow that up with some Spanish grammar workbooks and free classes from Live Mocha. A friend is trying to find her copy of Rosetta Stone for us to borrow, but I'm not holding out hope for that. I did tell DH he needs to budget for us to outsource Spanish next year though. I'm just not comfortable with how well I can piecemeal something like that together and have it be a true credit worth of work.

I am a very eclectic homeschooler and design the vast majority of my kids' courses. I have also always been a stay at home mom that spends huge amts of time managing a large busy household. Just wanted to throw that out there b/c I do and have done for the past 24 yrs what you say that your daughters desire to do.

I am perplexed by the disconnect in logic between the comments about not pushing academics and possible future homeschooling. If there ever existed reasons for young woman to pursue academic excellence for academic excellence's sake, motherhood and homeschooling would be the ones. The entire education of her future children will become her responsibility. While I do advocate being able to teach my children subject matter in which I am not a master, I cannot fathom undertaking those courses if academic excellence was not an interior core value. I graduated summa cum laude w/ a college degree that has never seen the inside of a place of employment. But that degree is worth more than any amt of $$ paid by an employer. It has given me interior mental freedom in planning the education of my children. I know what I want them to learn and I do not feel bound by anyone else's definitions or guidelines b/c I know that the education I am offering them is superior to what government education offers (in all aspects.....from academics to core values)

W/o even a solid academic-oriented high school education, freedom is constricted. Education is self-empowering. That self-empowerment will be lost and become dependent upon what curriculum providers offer, co-op teachers teach, out-sourced sources provide.......essentially the "home" in homeschooling becomes less unless the mother does her due diligence like some of my favorite posters on this forum (Paula, for one). What those women do takes fortitude, courage and an incredible amt of hard work. While I can understand finding oneself looking backward and having to take that position as they move forward in educating their children b/c life goals change. They are admirable women for their dedication. However, to take that position when looking forward knowing that homeschooling is a goal......that diminishes the value of education b/c if their own education isn't worth the effort, why will their future children's be worth more?

I apologize up front for my post b/c I know it sounds harsh. But, I just do not understand the mentality at all. I love being a full-time mom, housewife, teacher, manager of my home. But, education has only made it better and, truthfully, easier.

Edited by 8FillTheHeart

I am perplexed by the disconnect in logic between the comments about not pushing academics and possible future homeschooling. If there ever existed reasons for young woman to pursue academic excellence for academic excellence's sake, motherhood and homeschooling would be the ones. The entire education of her future children will become her responsibility.

It has given me interior mental freedom in planning the education of my children. I know what I want them to learn and I do not feel bound by anyone else's definitions or guidelines b/c I know that the education I am offering them is superior to what government education offers (in all aspects.....from academics to core values)

if their own education isn't worth the effort, why will their future children's be worth more?

LOVE this. :thumbup:

I am a very eclectic homeschooler and design the vast majority of my kids' courses. I have also always been a stay at home mom that spends huge amts of time managing a large busy household. Just wanted to throw that out there b/c I do and have done for the past 24 yrs what you say that your daughters desire to do.

I am perplexed by the disconnect in logic between the comments about not pushing academics and possible future homeschooling. If there ever existed reasons for young woman to pursue academic excellence for academic excellence's sake, motherhood and homeschooling would be the ones. The entire education of her future children will become her responsibility. While I do advocate being able to teach my children subject matter in which I am not a master, I cannot fathom undertaking those courses if academic excellence was not an interior core value. I graduated summa cum laude w/ a college degree that has never seen the inside of a place of employment. But that degree is worth more than any amt of $$ paid by an employer. It has given me interior mental freedom in planning the education of my children. I know what I want them to learn and I do not feel bound by anyone else's definitions or guidelines b/c I know that the education I am offering them is superior to what government education offers (in all aspects.....from academics to core values)

W/o even a solid academic-oriented high school education, freedom is constricted. Education is self-empowering. That self-empowerment will be lost and become dependent upon what curriculum providers offer, co-op teachers teach, out-sourced sources provide.......essentially the "home" in homeschooling becomes less unless the mother does her due diligence like some of my favorite posters on this forum (Paula, for one). What those women do takes fortitude, courage and an incredible amt of hard work. While I can understand finding oneself looking backward and having to take that position as they move forward in educating their children b/c life goals change. They are admirable women for their dedication. However, to take that position when looking forward knowing that homeschooling is a goal......that diminishes the value of education b/c if their own education isn't worth the effort, why will their future children's be worth more?

I apologize up front for my post b/c I know it sounds harsh. But, I just do not understand the mentality at all. I love being a full-time mom, housewife, teacher, manager of my home. But, education has only made it better and, truthfully, easier.

This is what I was thinking as I read the OP. I think these ideas are important to consider when we think of girls as future educators.

I am homeschooling through high school without a college education, but my high school education was above average and my own research and learning skills are adequate to at least tell whether or not I can facilitate a course or if I really must outsource it. My children must not suffer academically because of my lack; I must close the gap somehow for their sakes. I know I'd be better at this if I had been a little further down the road to Parnassus, myself, before I began.

I'm sorry, but I also must say: I see no reason to plan for inequality in education based on gender. Daughters deserve the same educational opportunities as sons, especially if they are going to need that education as teachers.

I'm sorry, but I also must say: I see no reason to plan for inequality in education based on gender. Daughters deserve the same educational opportunities as sons, especially if they are going to need that education as teachers.

:iagree:

And not to forget that some women end up being the one who has to support the family even if they never intended to - a girl needs to be prepared for this in case of death or disability of her husband. (Not to mention the possibility that marriage and children might not be happening as planned.)

:iagree: I strongly agree with this. DIL plans to homeschool her kids someday and for that reason I'm pushing her to graduate high school no longer how long it takes and complete at least some sort of certificate program she can fall back on if needed instead of just settling for a GED.

ok, i can understand what everyone is saying, but instead of continuing with the next 10 "i agree" posts, can anyone recommend how to bump up what were doing for 9th then a bit? i mean, we may be a bit laxed, but its still beyond a basic GED education, which im fairly certain she could pass this year!

so what would you add or switch too then?

Let her pick a number of books that she likes that are at her reading level or higher and then google [book name] study guide. There are a ton of free study guides, discussion questions, essay topics, etc. out there for most of the classic literature that you could use.

Let her pick a number of books that she likes that are at her reading level or higher and then google [book name] study guide. There are a ton of free study guides, discussion questions, essay topics, etc. out there for most of the classic literature that you could use.

thats a wonderful idea! i do have her reading quite a bit this year. we just went to the library today and she picked the looking glass wars to read next.

thats a wonderful idea! i do have her reading quite a bit this year. we just went to the library today and she picked the looking glass wars to read next.

I know that book is on the SparkNotes website and I'm sure there are others out there as well.

ok, i can understand what everyone is saying, but instead of continuing with the next 10 "i agree" posts, can anyone recommend how to bump up what were doing for 9th then a bit? i mean, we may be a bit laxed, but its still beyond a basic GED education, which im fairly certain she could pass this year!

so what would you add or switch too then?

It's not so much this year, but that actively working towards remediating any deficiencies is a good idea.

English: I think Hake writing is fairly solid and doing 8th grade ought to be fine. Is there a reason you'd go for the paragraph book? Those are more for writing skills for struggling students, so unless she's finding Hake tremendously difficult I think it'd be overkill. For lit, you surely don't have to follow a program but in general, most of the reading should be high school level -- if you don't know what reading level a book is, you can usually find out via google. I'd also look into some study guides for various books.

History: I haven't looked at this program, but I'd make sure she's doing the high school level activities for the program.

Science: Is this a high school level class? If she's just taking algebra now, how is chemistry working out? I would make sure she gets decent high-school level courses under her belt in biology and a physical science for sure, and preferably bio/chem/phys.

Math: Looks fine.

Others: It'd probably be a good idea to add in some light exposure to a foreign language this year, with the aim to do 2 solid years in soph/jr, just in case she ends up wanting/needing college. Kids change a lot between 14-18, and even more between 14-25, you never know.

The other thing that I'd do is keep records including a reading list now. It won't hurt if she decides to stop after high school (other than time spent) and it may be needed if she ever wants to go to any kind of college (even when my sister applied to culinary school they wanted a transcript.)

Lastly: I'd seriously consider certification in some sort of occupation where she can work part-time if desired, just in case (God forbid) she ends up raising children as a widow or with a disabled husband. She could also (prior to children) work and save some money so that she and whomever she marries could have a bit towards a down payment on a house or something. For example, I assume that she's interested in children. Maybe an associate's degree in early childhood education or something? Or if she loves pets, perhaps veterinary technician? These are just some general ideas.

I also gave him a lengthy list of 9th grade level books, plays, and short stories and told him to pick what he wanted to read. Out of 11 selections (he picked 9 and I added 2), I assigned 4 novels as free reading that won't have any assignments due. The rest have assignments that cover vocabulary, plus some combination of literature analysis, comprehension, and writing skills:

- Animal Farm & Fahrenheit 451 - discussion questions and a compare/contrast paper between the books;

- The Outsiders - lengthy book/movie comparison worksheet;

- I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings - online comprehension quizzes;

- The Secret Life of Walter Mitty - writing a new fantasy in the same style and tone as the original short story;

- The Taming of the Shrew - discussion questions and short essay selected from a list of topics; and

- Edgar Allan Poe unit study - will include a variety of stories, poems, and assignments, all to be determined based upon how much time he has left before the school year ends.

At the high school level, and "English" credit would usually include composition (with whatever grammar review is necessary) and literature (with analysis, not just reading), as bobbeym shows on her list.

For comparison, last year my ninth grader read 14 full works and some shorter pieces (Greek stuff in translation and some more contemporary retellings), wrote about all of the longer works and did exercises from the Greek myth-themed Imitation in Writing book. He also completed an online course through Duke's TIP program and prepared for and took the National Mythology Exam.

We're struggling to find a decent but affordable Spanish course so I can well understand your dilemma. You might see if the Mango Language programs are available from your library. We haven't tried them yet, but it's on my list of things to delve into.

My son just began using Mango (free online through our county library), alongside the Complete Idiot's Guide to Learning Italian on Your Own and a teach-yourself guide we bought for about $15 at Barnes and Noble. I am coming to terms with the fact that, for this student, foreign language will be a get-it-done subject, and I need to use what will work for him that I can afford. Thus far, he's doing well with this combination. Because Mango is free and we got the Idiot's Guide through PaperbackSwap, all of the materials for this year have cost me under $25. (I have no idea yet what we'll do next year. I'll think about that once he's built up some steam with this stuff.)

Edited by Jenny in Florida

I think that how you present your material affects how you think about it. Here it is rewritten with the pp suggestions:

Algebra: LoF (1 credit)

Chemistry: Tutor using Macmillian Chemistry (or whatever it is called) (1 credit)

English: Hake Writing grade 8, Literature with composition and discussion, finishing Winston Grammar and Daily-grams (1 credit)

American History: Mystery of History (or if this is world history then label it as such) (1 credit)

Photography: at co -op (1/2 credit)

Gymnastics (1/2 credit)

Now, I know I am making up this schedule and I really don't know the hours involved, but to me a class requires 6-7 hours per week in high school (excluding literature reading). So, it seems like you have only 5 credits which is why your program seems light. So if all these assumptions are true, you need to add a class: foreign language, economics, music, etc.

HTH,

Ruth in NZ

Edited by lewelma

Adding this for English after she finishes her current work with Hake, etc. In addition to study guides for individual literature works, I would add "Windows to the World" from IEW to learn how to write basic literature analysis papers if your daughter has learned to write essays in Hake 8. If she hasn't learned to write essays, work through materials that teach it. "The Elegant Essay" from IEW is one option for this, and Bravewriter's "Help for High School" is excellent.

...focus more on family and taking care of the house and pets and such. my oldest is in 9th this year (my younger dd has learning disabilities which partly led us to the eclectic path).

Does she have enough responsibilities to give her a credit in home ec (or whatever they call it now)?

Sounds like an English I credit - I'm not familiar with most of the materials you are using, though. A variety of literature is good for a first year of high school - a play or two, some poetry, some fiction & non-fiction. Windows to the World from IEW is an excellent intro. to lit. course you may want to look into at some point. Is her vocabulary strong enough that you could just move her to SAT/ACT prep?

Is she doing any exhibitions? It would be a great experience.

Some web sites that might be good resources:

Absolute Shakespeare

American Chemical Society

American Shakespeare Center

BBC - language courses

Blossoms - math & science videos for high school from MIT

Chem 1 Virtual Text

Cliff Notes (free lit. guides)

Creative Live (photography, etc.)

Epicurious online cooking tutorials

Food Science

Glencoe Literature Library (online lit. guides)

Guide to Grammar and Writing

History videos

The Home Scientist

National Novel Writers Month

OWL - Online Writing Lab, Perdue

Paradigm Online Writing Assistant

Pink Monkey - online lit guides, summaries

Purplemath (algebra lessons)

Random House for High School Teachers (lit)

Schmoop

Smithsonian Institute Video Library

Spark Notes

Teaching Literature

OSHA - US Dept of Labor Safety training courses

Virtual Math Lab from Texas A&M

Visionlearning (National Science Foundation)

Vocabulary Coach

Web English Teacher

Williams Sononma (cooking techniques, etc.)

Writing in College

YayMath

There are also a lot of history resources out there, if I knew what period you were studying I could list those. Send me a pm if you want the whole list.

oh and too add... foreign language, she started doing french last year but decided she hated it. went cant afford any of the "good" programs, so i momentarily have it off for this year. if theres anything anyone could recommend thats affordable, im all ears :bigear:

Have you looked at Visual Link Spanish?

http://www.spanishprograms.com/cj_vls/

We found ours gently used at a reasonable price.

update...

i chatted with dd a bit today about our game plan. i also called our library and was totally shocked to find out they have mango (so thanks so much for whoever said that lol!). she is going to start with the french on there asap.

as for chemistry co op, out of the 5 students, only 1 has gone through algebra 1, the rest are in it now or are in prealgebra, so im not sure what to think here. im going to speak with the teacher next week and try to get a better thought on what the deal is with that. worst case, in my state (which by the way has a diploma program that we will be doing) you only need 3 science credits to graduate, so if i feel the need, we will just not count this year as a whole credit and repeat chemistry. on the better side, this chemistry class has been awesome for her and has challenged her in ways that i couldnt, so still not a loss ;)

now for writing/composition.... im thinking of having her finish hake 8, which she will be done with in a month or less. then i was rethinking of doing the 3 EPS writing skills books (on rainbow resource) and then moving into jensens formwat writing. thoughts on that??? if you have some other ideas, throw them at me :)

for literature.... im going to look for the study guides/discussion questions and have her write a paper of some kind for each literature book. she can read beyond grade level, but is VERY picky about books. if she doesnt like it, she will dredge through it, if she likes it, she will finish it in less than a week! lol! anyone have anyother thoughts on incorporaing literature easily?

thanks!:grouphug:

At the high school level, and "English" credit would usually include composition (with whatever grammar review is necessary) and literature (with analysis, not just reading), as bobbeym shows on her list.

Jenny, I can't help but feel like my last-minute revamped English class has now been validated. :D

update...

i chatted with dd a bit today about our game plan. i also called our library and was totally shocked to find out they have mango (so thanks so much for whoever said that lol!). she is going to start with the french on there asap.

I'm glad to hear she's going to give french another shot!

now for writing/composition.... im thinking of having her finish hake 8, which she will be done with in a month or less. then i was rethinking of doing the 3 EPS writing skills books (on rainbow resource) and then moving into jensens formwat writing. thoughts on that??? if you have some other ideas, throw them at me :)

I think you need to trust your instincts with what she needs for writing lessons. If the books you're looking at using seem on par with her skills and they match her learning styles, use them. You can always supplement with free things you find online. I have an entire binder of printed how-to writing guides that I found for free and use as reference material.

I know for my DS, his writing skills suck. Halfway through 8th grade, the boy could not write a decent summary paragraph. Trying to get him to write an actual essay type paper of any type meant lots of drama and tears from both of us. So we took it back down a few levels in order to build up his confidence. He likes his science text, so I started by requiring full sentences and short paragraph answers. Now we're adding in creative writing. Yes, it's probably out of order, but he's excited to be writing and that's really all I care about right now. By springtime, we'll also have had some opportunities to add in some short research-type papers for science in addition to his literature writings.

for literature.... im going to look for the study guides/discussion questions and have her write a paper of some kind for each literature book. she can read beyond grade level, but is VERY picky about books. if she doesnt like it, she will dredge through it, if she likes it, she will finish it in less than a week! lol! anyone have anyother thoughts on incorporaing literature easily?

This is how my DS is too. I found it worked easiest to just give him a list of mom-approved reading material and let him pick what he wanted to read. There's no logical rhyme or reason to his choices but since he picked them, I know I won't have to argue with him to read them. Writing about them on the other hand... I'd be happy to pm (or post) the list I used for him this year if you'd like.

thanks!:grouphug: