Menu

night owls with sleep deprivation

Do I give up my alone and unwind time to go to bed early when I know I will be tired no matter what tomorrow, especially since I have to get up early for a last minute field trip? UGH! :glare:

My ability to ignore sleep deprivation has started to crumble for some unknown reason. I went to bed early for the first time in MONTHS, was able to sleep in even, and I felt more tired the next day than I have since I don't even know when!! What is the point??

:glare:

Right there with you:glare:. For the last 2 nights I actually went to bed before midnight and slept in. I have been a zombie for the last 2 days. I just embrace the insomnia. It makes afternoon naps that much sweeter.

NAPS?? :drool:

I really want to know the physiological reason why a person would feel MORE tired after getting MORE sleep.

:grouphug: Its hard, impossible probably, to change the way a person is wired. If I'm in a "night owl" mode there is sort of a jet lag thing when first trying to change it. Melatonin can help shift things for me but it takes consistent every single night discipline to fight against my natural inclinations. That's hard when I am just built to think, create, and just be in the night. In short, I get it!

:grouphug:

I've got a baby who won't go to sleep before 1, although it might be closer to 2 tonight. I have children who will be up around 6. What's this sleep thing you're talking about?

I cant get in bed before 4 and i have to get up at 9. No afternoon naps here unless i want to re-clean my house. :glare:

Oh my gosh, you guys. :001_huh: But I am lucky enough to (apparently) be genetically programmed to need more sleep. Before I had dd, I consistently slept 10 hours a night. :glare: I honestly don't know if it is possible for me to have kids and not be sleep deprived.

I hear you. I need that alone time after everyone has gone to bed!

I think sometimes I am more tired after getting a lot of sleep because I'm no longer running on the adrenaline of not enough sleep. :tongue_smilie:

Have you ever had so little sleep that you can't fall asleep anymore? That is the worst. Like I am so tired that my body is on edge and then I can't sleep. But I need sleep more than ever! Ugh.

Somebody tell me kids to go to sleep earlier so I can stay up until midnight instead of 2am. :lol:

That's hard when I am just built to think, create, and just be in the night. In short, I get it!

YES! I feel like myself at night. I feel like it's the only time I can think, research, plan, like my personality type loves to do. I am not me without doing these things. How do I choose to give that up? But being crabby all day certainly isn't being who I want to be, either!

NAPS?? :drool:

I really want to know the physiological reason why a person would feel MORE tired after getting MORE sleep.

If I'm honest, I only have the ability to nap 1-2 times a week. My kids are older. The 12yo and 9yo entertain the 5yo while Mommy tries, often in vain, to nap. Why does everyone have pressing issues, like "Can I have a snack?" when I try to sleep? WHY?!?!?! I have given up on sleep until the little one leaves for college.

Oh my gosh, you guys. :001_huh: But I am lucky enough to (apparently) be genetically programmed to need more sleep. Before I had dd, I consistently slept 10 hours a night. :glare: I honestly don't know if it is possible for me to have kids and not be sleep deprived.

No thats just the problem. I NEED more sleep than that, i just cant get it!

I can easily sleep quite a long time, Its just getting to sleep is the issue. I cant stay asleep in the AM because the kids get up and have run of the house, which is NEVER a good thing.

Why does everyone have pressing issues, like "Can I have a snack?" when I try to sleep? WHY?!?!?! I have given up on sleep until the little one leaves for college.

:iagree:

:grouphug: Its hard, impossible probably, to change the way a person is wired. If I'm in a "night owl" mode there is sort of a jet lag thing when first trying to change it. Melatonin can help shift things for me but it takes consistent every single night discipline to fight against my natural inclinations. That's hard when I am just built to think, create, and just be in the night. In short, I get it!

I hear you. I need that alone time after everyone has gone to bed!

I think sometimes I am more tired after getting a lot of sleep because I'm no longer running on the adrenaline of not enough sleep. :tongue_smilie:

Have you ever had so little sleep that you can't fall asleep anymore? That is the worst. Like I am so tired that my body is on edge and then I can't sleep. But I need sleep more than ever! Ugh.

Somebody tell me kids to go to sleep earlier so I can stay up until midnight instead of 2am. :lol:

I have always stayed up late. It's just who I am. I have no idea how I produced a child who wakes up before 7:00am. That's just wrong in my book:glare:. I stay up late because no one (dh included) is asking me for anything. I can do whatever I want after 11:00pm, which usually involves watching the boards here. I always wrote papers late at night. I'm just a night owl. If only the little people would see things my way. :tongue_smilie:

If I'm honest, I only have the ability to nap 1-2 times a week. My kids are older. The 12yo and 9yo entertain the 5yo while Mommy tries, often in vain, to nap. Why does everyone have pressing issues, like "Can I have a snack?" when I try to sleep? WHY?!?!?! I have given up on sleep until the little one leaves for college.

Try yelling. :tongue_smilie:

I have always stayed up late. It's just who I am. I have no idea how I produced a child who wakes up before 7:00am. That's just wrong in my book:glare:. I stay up late because no one (dh included) is asking me for anything. I can do whatever I want after 11:00pm, which usually involves watching the boards here. I always wrote papers late at night. I'm just a night owl. If only the little people would see things my way. :tongue_smilie:

Now I know you're a troll!! Night owls don't produce early birds, it's genetically impossible! Dd stays up way too late, and sleeps in way too late. It's just that I stay up even later, and need way too much sleep, as I said before, so it doesn't help much. I honestly am scared to think about what I would do if I had one of those 5 AM kids. :crying:

Now I know you're a troll!! Night owls don't produce early birds, it's genetically impossible! Dd stays up way too late, and sleeps in way too late. It's just that I stay up even later, and need way too much sleep, as I said before, so it doesn't help much. I honestly am scared to think about what I would do if I had one of those 5 AM kids. :crying:

:lol: Not to worry you, but I had to take the reading lamp away from my girls. My oldest could easily stay up reading until 3, and still be up with the sun.

:lol: Dude, I wish I was a troll. If this kid didn't look and act just like me, I would swear she was switched at birth. And she is always so darn perky in the morning!!! I have told her repeatedly not to converse with me until I am adequately caffeinated, but she never listens. I think God is punishing me.

:lol: Dude, I wish I was a troll. If this kid didn't look and act just like me, I would swear she was switched at birth. And she is always so darn perky in the morning!!! I have told her repeatedly not to converse with me until I am adequately caffeinated, but she never listens. I think God is punishing me.

Maybe you were a serial killer in a previous life. :001_huh: I do NOT do noise in morning.... Well, I DO, but I don't want to!! She should be a kindergarten teacher when she is an adult, or one of those types of jobs. Maybe an aerobics instructor? We do need those types, certainly.

Maybe you were a serial killer in a previous life. :001_huh: I do NOT do noise in morning.... Well, I DO, but I don't want to!! She should be a kindergarten teacher when she is an adult, or one of those types of jobs. Maybe an aerobics instructor? We do need those types, certainly.

I may or may not have said this child was some sort of cosmic joke;). While she is in the beginning stages of puberty (God help me), I am willing to deal with her emotional crud if she will just SLEEP!!! The 2 younger people sleep in. Why can't the 12yo sleep? And even if she wakes up early, why does she expect to have an intelligent conversation with me at 7:30am? And what is up with the animals waking me up early? Just accept the fact that the responsible adult goes to sleep between 2:00 and 4:00am, wakes up somewhere around 8:30, and needs IV caffeine to be human!

I may or may not have said this child was some sort of cosmic joke;). While she is in the beginning stages of puberty (God help me), I am willing to deal with her emotional crud if she will just SLEEP!!! The 2 younger people sleep in. Why can't the 12yo sleep? And even if she wakes up early, why does she expect to have an intelligent conversation with me at 7:30am? And what is up with the animals waking me up early? Just accept the fact that the responsible adult goes to sleep between 2:00 and 4:00am, wakes up somewhere around 8:30, and needs IV caffeine to be human!

She must be the only preteen in the country who doesn't want to sleep in! :lol:

I wonder how many drug addicts started as moms who were chronically tired. Serious question. :001_huh: Honestly, if I had something in my cupboard that would make me feel energetic (coffee doesn't do it), I would probably take it at this point. It's just as well I don't, clearly. ;)

That sounds like some TeA. :lol:

Its 3:23am and im watching TV and eating a Doughnut. I need serious help. :leaving:

:lol: I am re-watching the debate and almost made bread, until I discovered that a) I don't make bread and b) my yeast is expired. I really want candy. And the sleep fairy.

:lol: I am re-watching the debate and almost made bread, until I discovered that a) I don't make bread and b) my yeast is expired. I really want candy. And the sleep fairy.

You could make bread, maybe you just need a different recipe? (Hillbillyhousewife.com (beginner bread)/Artisan Bread In 5 Minutes A Day) You would be able to use the yeast, it just wouldnt rise as well but it would taste fine. Mmmmmm Candy. What kind? What sleep fairy? :confused:

I don't have insomnia but between the kids going to bed later, the puppies and my one year a "full night sleep" is pretty rare around here. I can normally go back to sleep after walking the puppies fairly easily but a car drove by slowly two times and then drove down the alley next to our house when I was just walking them at 3am. So now I'm jittery and wide awake. And trying to figure out how to get the puppies to sleep longer. Bleh.

I have this issue as well. I'm a person who is easily distractable when "stuff" is going on, but I get "on a roll" when everyone else leaves me alone (aka goes to sleep). In the morning, if I don't have an emergency to work on, it takes hours to rev up.

The problem is that, because I have to get up with the kids every morning, I often am tired at night - too tired to do my work well. Yet I sit at my computer, because going to bed seems wrong when I haven't finished my work. So I do mindless stuff until midnight-ish and go to bed, setting my alarm for an ungodly early hour. If I have a true deadline, I'll get up and work on a couple hours' sleep. If the deadline is "soft," I'll just keep hitting my snooze button every 9 minutes for hours. :glare: Obviously something needs to change.

I have told her repeatedly not to converse with me until I am adequately caffeinated, but she never listens. I think God is punishing me.

I think my kids are finally getting the idea that you don't get on Mama's nerves before she's had her Elixir. I only had to tell them 1000 times.

By nature I'm a night owl and would prefer to sleep in a bit. My youngest ds started high school at a private school this year and I drive him every morning. I've needed to adjust to getting up at 6 am every day. Ughh.

It was difficulut at first but much easier as my internal clock reset.

You need to do it over a period of weeks not days. You also need a set a realistic bedtime and stick to it. I need 7 hours of sleep so I go to bed religiously at 11 pm. Again, this was tough going the first month or so, but now I'm quite happy with the change. Expect to feel tired and annoyed the first couple weeks. It is what it sit. Good luck.

Also, try not to sleep too late on the weekends. Keeping your schedule as consistent as possible really does help.

YES! I feel like myself at night. I feel like it's the only time I can think, research, plan, like my personality type loves to do. I am not me without doing these things. How do I choose to give that up? But being crabby all day certainly isn't being who I want to be, either!

:iagree: I am definitely a night owl. I partly love it because I'm so alone and it's so quiet. Giving that up sounds like torture, especially if I still wake up exhausted. :glare:

well i got off here at 4am, went to lay down ONLY to have 1 of the dogs whine and whine- DH took the darn dog out. THEN both kids were up. I was not a happy camper. :glare:

Luckily everyone slept in today and thank goodness. Im still tired though but ill still stay up til 4 again. :(

Absolutely!! I'm a night owl, I have been my whole life as long as I can remember, even as a little kid. It drives my husband nuts, and he just cannot understand it, and gets angry with me when I stay up late. I have tried everything I can to get on a "regular" schedule, but drugging myself up is the only thing that works, and even then once I stop the drugs I go RIGHT back to a night schedule.

I also wake up exhausted if I sleep at night, I have no idea why. If I sleep during the day and wake up on my own (my natural sleep schedule is from 6am until 2pm). If I sleep the same amount of hours at night, I CANNOT get myself to wake up, and I have to sleep at least 10-12 hours in order to feel like I got a good amount of sleep, and even then I'm groggy when I wake up.

:iagree: except I AM tired, I am just avoiding going to bed. :glare: Why can't my control issues exert themselves in compulsive exercise or house cleaning???

:lol: For real!instead of cleaning or planning hs stuff, I am watching Workaholics.

P.S. Insomnia has its perks. This post has made me an Empress Bee.

:lol: For real!instead of cleaning or planning hs stuff, I am watching Workaholics.

P.S. Insomnia has its perks. This post has made me an Empress Bee.

That makes the exhaustion tomorrow so worth it!!!! :w00t:

:lol:

Some part of me broke this week. I can't believe it, but I'm going to bed early. :001_huh: ("early," i.e. 1:45 AM....)

4:18. Ate the hohos, drank the milk, watched the show. FINALLY getting sleepy and thinking of how much I'll pay for this in the morning.

was the hoho good at least?

Im getting sleepy but not quite bed ready. More like " I really need to still put away the food on the floor".

it is 3:52AM and i JUST got back from Walmart for some staples to last us til Tuesday.

Yes im the crazy lady who goes shopping at 4am. AND Im not even tired still!

That's the best time to go to Wal-Mart! Dh often has to switch around from day to night shift. He loves going grocery shopping at 3:00am on those nights. Not nearly as many crazy people;).