Menu

Kinda hating our Better Binders from Staples

Samiam

This year I've been requiring DS9 and DS6 to put their own papers in their own binders, instead of me doing it all. You know, the whole "keep yourself organized" training thing. They kinda like it, always take pride in looking through their past work as they load up today's work. A binder for each subject.

BUT because the Better Binders are D-Ring, not an O-ring, the papers are all getting bent up by the ring area. If they put all their papers to the one side, the "spine" of the D, then they are fine. Problem is they don't. They open the rings, put in today's work and then close the binder. Depending if they flipped through prior work, several sheets could be on the "belly" part of the D. Those papers will all be bent near the ring.

Super frustrated with that. I could train them to always flip all papers to the spine side of the D...but frankly, for the cost of these binders, I shouldn't have to. O-Rings never had this problem.

Am I alone in this OCD frustration? The reason I use binders for everything is I like all papers to be nice and neat, and organized. These binders are not making that happen :(.

Edited by Samiam

At first I thought, "How could you!" But then I was like, eh, this is why I don't use binders for that purpose. The shape of the ring doesn't matter. The papers always get bent and torn when kids have binders. But when I do need a binder, it's Better Binders all the way!

We always use page protectors because I can't stand to have pages start to tear out or bleed onto one another, etc. The binders generally won't close until the child puts all the pages to one side. However, the page protectors tend to sag below the cover because of their weight (very annoying) and the kids sometimes wrinkle their work putting it in the pages, so not a perfect solution. :D

I guess this is a personal preference thing. I hate O ring binders because I can't fit as much in them.

I bought about 30 of the better binders for me and all the kids, and turned out we didn't need as many as I thought, I will say the rubber edges are kind of a pain when you're used to binders sliding easily, but I'm getting over that. I don't know that the kids will use all the binders I bought for them, but I'm sure I'll find a way to use them for myself.

This year I've been requiring DS9 and DS6 to put their own papers in their own binders, instead of me doing it all. You know, the whole "keep yourself organized" training thing. They kinda like it, always take pride in looking through their past work as they load up today's work. A binder for each subject.

BUT because the Better Binders are D-Ring, not an O-ring, the papers are all getting bent up by the ring area. If they put all their papers to the one side, the "spine" of the D, then they are fine. Problem is they don't. They open the rings, put in today's work and then close the binder. Depending if they flipped through prior work, several sheets could be on the "belly" part of the D. Those papers will all be bent near the ring.

Super frustrated with that. I could train them to always flip all papers to the spine side of the D...but frankly, for the cost of these binders, I shouldn't have to. O-Rings never had this problem.

Am I alone in this OCD frustration? The reason I use binders for everything is I like all papers to be nice and neat, and organized. These binders are not making that happen :(.

I like the D-rings because they hold more. My boys each have one they use daily, and they all just flip the pages to the straight side before they close it. It hasn't been an issue here at all.

This is why I buy sheet lifters to use with any binder I buy. But I didn't buy any Better Binders. I like Avery Durable View binders . They're usually on sale just before school starts each year, and I can also buy them at Sam's or Staples. They're available in several colors and sizes, and I like the clear plastic cover because I can be sure the girls have their weekly homework assignment sheet readily at hand.

Edited by ereks mom

I love the better binders. They are so hardy! We can take them all over and they just never die. My ds has had an orange one for guitar lessons for a couple years and it's still in great shape.

We do use the sheet lifters another poster linked.

Looking at the ages of your kids, they are old enough to learn how to take care of the papers in the binders.

This is why I buy sheet lifters to use with any binder I buy. But I didn't buy any Better Binders. I like Avery Durable View binders . They're usually on sale just before school starts each year, and I can also buy them at Sam's or Staples. They're available in several colors and sizes, and I like the clear plastic cover because I can be sure the girls have their weekly homework assignment sheet readily at hand.

These are my favorites also. I don't like the rubber on the Better Binders.

I love the avery durables too, but my favorite color is yellow and I can never find them in yellow.

Also not a fan of Better Binders. The rubbery spine makes them flimsy when I'm holding it in my lap...which I do a lot. The only one I have is a 3 inch, so maybe it's just the big size, but it is just difficult to maneuver.

I like the expensive Avery binders, the kind that open and close easily with one finger. We have bunches of those, and use them daily.

This is our first year with Better Binders and we love them. I 3-hole punch his papers and put them in his binder with empty page protectors. Then, when completed, he slips it into a page protector. We're on week 7 and no issues. Ds keeps his in his desk, but I have mine on a shelf. I love the rubber because they easily stand up without a book end.