Menu

Advice needed on how to "see" a book in your head

DD9 said to me yesterday that she enjoys me reading aloud books to her more than reading them herself. When I asked her why, she claimed that "when you read to me, I can see the book in my head like a movie. But when I read the book, I am too busy looking at the words to see the movie in my head."

She had some vision issues when she was around 6-years-old, which have since been corrected with vision therapy. I am hoping she did not miss some key developmental reading components during this time. I know that she comprehends what she reads because she can summarize her chapter books for me and answer any questions I have.

I asked DD11 (an avid reader) if she "sees" the movie in her head and she stated that she can, but it is "clearer" during read-aloud time.

Is this something that comes with practice? Did she miss something during her early years? But, most of all, is this something that I can help her with or does it simply come with practice?

Thank you for any advice!!

My girls have all been very fond of my reading aloud to them. I know that I get pictures of the characters in my head, the vivid descriptions of scenes and events and personalities and situations that a really good author can inspire is one of the reasons I love good literature. They usually avoid watching movies that are based on those books, because 'it messes up the way they imagine the characters in their minds'. Those mind pictures are the things that wonderful literary memories are built upon. Good books become like good friends. Perhaps we're all auditory learners...Your dd9 is still young, and I think with experience all things become easier. Certainly she will grow into reading with more awareness and clarity, but you should encourage her by continuing to read aloud as long as she will sit and listen. :)

As someone is learning to read, all effort is put on getting the words correct. Early on, the student cannot even remember the words read. They don't even get to a higher skill like comprehension. The "pictures" really come after comprehension.

The imagination that one uses while reading comes into play when a student reaches higher levels of fluency and develops good comprehension. One of the great things about a student listening to a book read aloud is that the student can work on building strong comprehension separate from the fluency of physically reading. So, keep reading aloud. I think as your dd's fluency builds she'll have stronger comprehension and then start "seeing the pictures" as she reads.

I'm not sure.

An avid reader, I've ALWAYS *seen* books in my head.

My 11 year old dyslexic daughter hates reading. One of her chief complaints is that she *can't see* the book in her head so it bores/frustrates her. She doesn't understand the appeal :glare:.

I'm fairly certain that if she can "see the movie" when you read to her she will be able to see the movie better as she learns to read better.

The older I get/the more I read I find that I don't even seem to focus much on the words in the book. It is almost all like seeing a movie. I have to almost physically flip a switch to see the words on the page.

I think it will just take practice since she is already to "play the movie" when you're reading - it is a skill she has, just not one she can focus on while she is actually reading.

The more fluent she becomes, the easier it is to allow both reading and movie to go at the same time.

You could have her read Calvin and Hobbes (or something like it), and see if that helps her. It gives a kick start to the movie part :)

I think part of it is learning style. She may be an auditory learner. I am very visual, and I don't "see" something if it's read to me. I almost always have to read something myself to fully comprehend it. She may get better at it as she gets older, but I don't know if it can be taught. Reading lots of books at a level or two below might help. If she isn't struggling for comprehension, it might make it easier for her to "see" the story.

I'm fairly certain that if she can "see the movie" when you read to her she will be able to see the movie better as she learns to read better.

:iagree:

I'm actually the opposite of your dd - I see pictures effortlessly when I can see the words (while hearing the words in my head, too - I audiate as well as see pictures, an interesting experience :)), but I have some auditory processing issues, and it's hard for me to picture things in my head when I only hear the words without being able to see them. I don't really enjoy books-on-tape, because it takes full concentration with no distractions to be able to actually get a clear picture of what is going on - it's a lot of work, and if my mind wanders just once, I'm lost.

Family read alouds only work for me if I'm the one reading, or if I can see the page from where I'm sitting - otherwise it degenerates into disconnected thoughts because I can't sustain a picture in my head while still processing the words that just keep coming (unless it's a familiar story, or rather simple). And with too many distractions, the story just turns into disconnected words, and my comprehension is nil.

I'll be curious to hear the feedback you get from this.

Personally, I don't think it's something that can be "practiced" to attain. Either your brain is wired that way or it isn't.

:iagree: There was a study that came out sometime in the last few years in which they found that some people have an actual physical response to what they read- adrenaline is released during scary scenes, chemicals in the brain mimicking love during a love scene, etc. And they found that some people do this, some people don't, and there isn't really a way to change that.

When I read, I hardly notice the words. It's like my brain translates them directly into pictures in my mind, almost like some weird kind of synesthesia. I've always been like that, even as a kid.

:iagree: There was a study that came out sometime in the last few years in which they found that some people have an actual physical response to what they read- adrenaline is released during scary scenes, chemicals in the brain mimicking love during a love scene, etc. And they found that some people do this, some people don't, and there isn't really a way to change that.

When I read, I hardly notice the words. It's like my brain translates them directly into pictures in my mind, almost like some weird kind of synesthesia. I've always been like that, even as a kid.

I'm the same way. I don't really "read" the words, I just *see* it.

Probably why Harry Potters are my favs - so interesting to imagine and *see* :D

I'm actually the opposite of your dd - I see pictures effortlessly when I can see the words (while hearing the words in my head, too - I audiate as well as see pictures, an interesting experience :)), but I have some auditory processing issues, and it's hard for me to picture things in my head when I only hear the words without being able to see them. I don't really enjoy books-on-tape, because it takes full concentration with no distractions to be able to actually get a clear picture of what is going on - it's a lot of work, and if my mind wanders just once, I'm lost.

Family read alouds only work for me if I'm the one reading, or if I can see the page from where I'm sitting - otherwise it degenerates into disconnected thoughts because I can't sustain a picture in my head while still processing the words that just keep coming (unless it's a familiar story, or rather simple). And with too many distractions, the story just turns into disconnected words, and my comprehension is nil.

:iagree: This is me too. Growing up the best way for my brother and I to understand something was for me to read it aloud to him. He's an auditory learner, I'm visual. Books on tape are really hard for me.

The recommendations from others to pause after paragraphs to give your DD time to develop the "picture" is a good one. I do that too, sometimes, and sometimes I'll be developing my movie for hours after I've read a passage. Even with history books and such I develop movies. :001_huh:

I think it just might be a personal quirk. I HATE to listen to oral presentations of any form. I much prefer lectures, books, etc to come to me through my own visual system. I can get into the material far easier than if I have to wait for the pace of the speaker or reader to match my internal expectations. I think I'm just one of these people not wired to be an auditory learner.

OTOH, I think some people are just wired to enjoy auditory processing and that is probably why they like to listen to books read out loud. As a side note, I hate reading out loud to my kids because the sound and cadence of my voice is never as 'perfect' as it is in my head.

Please go over to the Special Needs board and check out threads on this program. There are only about a billion. . .. Anyway, it teaches the "movie in your head" thing, and that is exactly how the author describes it.

Terri

While some people are naturally better at this than others, language therapists will absolutely tell you that it is something that can be improved with work, like with other comprehension skills.