Menu

Those Who Own 2+ Dogs - Travel Question

We are taking our first real family vacation in YEARS soon. :D Unfortunately we are staying at a place where we cannot take our two dogs, so we will be boarding them. We've boarded them before, but they were in separate little cages, and they were massively stressed out when we got home.

If you have more than one dog, do you have them boarded together? We are looking at a place that has really nice runs for each dog, with lots of outside time, walks, etc. But I am not sure whether to have them board together or in separate areas.

They get along really, really well, but they are...quirky...and I wonder if the stress of being in a new place might make it difficult to keep them together happily. But then I wonder if being together would keep the stress levels down...

And I am just dorky enough about my dogs that I won't be able to enjoy our vacation if I think they aren't surviving well. :)

I am as dorky as you.:001_smile:

I always boarded mine together. Now, with four dogs, I hire someone to come to the house to let them out, walk them and feed them.

Would it be possible to ask the staff to keep an eye on them but if the stress causes them to fight, to separate them, and if possible, have them in adjoiningkjennels?

We have an RV and use it for all our vacationing now, so our dogs always go with us. But in the pre-RV days when we had two dogs I always boarded them in the same run. They both got along very, very well in most circumstances, so I had no reason to think they wouldn't be less stressed if boarded together. If you have any doubts, I think you could do as suggested and give the boarding kennel staff permission to separate them if needed.

(And you want dorky -- One of the main reasons we bought an RV is because I was a nervous wreck every time we had to board the dogs.)

My mother always has her dogs boarded together and I believe it helps their stress alot. They do not seem to mind being left too much. I think that the only reason they are nervous is that twice they have been boarded while she had major orthopedic surgery. So from their perspective they were left by an okay mom but when they returned home their mom was not okay.

When we board our two dogs, they share a kennel space. They are good buddies so they like the companionship. But, in our area all kennels are not created equal and it took a few tries before we found one that seemed like a good fit for our dogs; you might want to ask around and try to find a good place. :)

When people board their dogs here I suggest that they board them together. I might make more money if they don't, but it's WAY easier on the dogs. Being in a strange place with strange people is stressful. If their friend is there with them it tends to ease the stress. Also, make sure you take WAY more food than you think they'll eat. Some dogs eat less when their stressed, but some eat a little more and for them to run out while you're gone isn't fun for either the dog or the kennel owner. I also suggest for owners to bring the dogs favorite toy or a blanket from their bed.

I have to let you know that my dog actually likes being boarded. He has tons of fun and is excited to go back. He is more tired as he's been racing the whole time we're gone. I don't know... for me it's fine. I would board together and trust that they'll separate if there's an issue :) My dog doesn't eat his treats that I have left in the kennel until we're on the way home :)

I don't board mine together, but it's because they don't get along (well, the new dog gets along with everyone, but she hasn't been boarded yet). But I wanted to say that if you board them somewhere where they get LOTS of playtime (like somewhere that also does doggie day care and has the boarding dogs play with the day care dogs), you won't need to worry about them being bored or lonely. Even if they're in runs by themselves in between playtimes, they'll come home exhausted and very happy. The place we used last time even took our dog aggressive dog and made sure she got plenty of time with people, since she couldn't be with other dogs....they let her hang out in the office with the staff during the day and stuff.

We took our first real vacation, 3 days, 2 nights(don't make fun of me) this summer. We had the couple that rent our basement apartment take care of our dogs and birds. Even then our dogs were major stressed but was much better option than boarding them out with total strangers/living circumstance.

Have a great time. We sure did.:D