Menu

Hands-On Equations

Sahamamama

This looks like fun -- which is saying a lot, for me to be excited about something to do with Algebra. :tongue_smilie:

What do we need to buy to get started?

I'd like to work through some it on my own this year, then start with my oldest student next year (3rd grade). Is that about the right age to begin?

What are the pros & cons we should know about? :bigear:

I have an odd question... did this used to be more expensive? I just looked at the prices and it seems perfectly reasonable - $35 for the basic kit and it looks like that's all you absolutely need or $80 for the deluxe kit which has a DVD and a few extra books. But I seem to recall that when I first saw this mentioned on this site, people were saying the price was crazy high.

The people who have used it suggest getting the Verbal Problem Book(s).

There are two of them. You can get one with the deluxe DVD packet, but not both.

(I'd be getting the kit + both workbooks, but no DVD. I read previously that you didn't need it.)

If I had a mathy kid, I might start this in 3rd & just do some of it. As it is, I might get this for my 6th & 4th graders for next summer ... maybe. (Can't really justify the cost right now, but that 30% off coupon looks nice.)

Here are a couple of recent threads:

Hands On Equations at HSBC

HOE app vs. the kit

Do We Need HOE?

HOE: What do I need to buy?

When to use HOE?

Tell me about HOE

Edited by RootAnn
added some links

(I'd be getting the kit + both workbooks, but no DVD. I read previously that you didn't need it.)

Here are a couple of recent threads:

Hands On Equations at HSBC

HOE app vs. the kit

Do We Need HOE?

HOE: What do I need to buy?

When to use HOE?

Tell me about HOE

:iagree:about not getting the DVD.

Thanks for posting the links. :D

R liked this a lot at first. She's bored with it now. She did twelve problems in about 3 minutes yesterday. She is only on the first level, though, so I'm assuming it will pick up. I wish I'd started her in third grade. C has been asking to start. I think I'll wait until he has reviewed multiplication and division this year and then start him.

We love it here. We're doing verbal problems for Level I now (started last year) and I think we're ready for Level II. I just bought the basic kit on Ebay and the VP book from RR. My only problem is that the VP book is so expensive, but the binding is cheap and awful! Mine is already falling apart. For $33 you'd think they'd at least spiral bind the thing!

I'll be the dissenter here. Maybe I'm just old and tired......or maybe I have too many other subjects that require planning, but I'd want the DVDs b/c they would guarantee that HOE gets done.

As a matter of fact, the basic kit & verbal problems book are sitting in my closet right now. We used it some when I first got it, but I haven't touched it in over a year. I was actually starting to think about selling it since it's something extra that we never get to.

Anyway, if you are busy you may want to rethink getting the DVDs. There won't be a better time to get them at such a good price. If I had 30% off when I bought, I definitely would have bought them.

One more thing...you can purchase individual lessons videos on their site if you are having trouble with just specific assignments.

I'll be the dissenter here. Maybe I'm just old and tired......or maybe I have too many other subjects that require planning, but I'd want the DVDs b/c they would guarantee that HOE gets done.

:iagree:I'm going through it right now to get ready to teach it, and I need the DVD. I'm good at math, but not math-intuitive, and I can't figure it out clearly just from the books.

:iagree:I'm going through it right now to get ready to teach it, and I need the DVD. I'm good at math, but not math-intuitive, and I can't figure it out clearly just from the books.

As a matter of fact, the basic kit & verbal problems book are sitting in my closet right now. We used it some when I first got it, but I haven't touched it in over a year. I was actually starting to think about selling it since it's something extra that we never get to.

Anyway, if you are busy you may want to rethink getting the DVDs. There won't be a better time to get them at such a good price. If I had 30% off when I bought, I definitely would have bought them.

One more thing...you can purchase individual lessons videos on their site if you are having trouble with just specific assignments.

Is the quality of the videos good? I looked at some of the video demonstration lessons, and they are of, um, uneven quality. I suppose the teaching still comes through?

I'll get my Dramamine.

I bought the whole shebang and it was worth it. Here are few pics of the first few lessons.

The verbal problems book is excellent. Don't miss it. HoE is nothing without the vpb, imho.

I was wondering if I could just make the kit myself? It looks like pawns from a chess board set, number die and a balance.

I was able to borrow this from a friend to review it and if I got the DVD's I would skip the first lesson! It had the kids trying to just guess the answers and then the next lesson showed them how to figure it out. That first lesson would just frustrate my child unnecessarily.

Edited by 3 Only Children

[quote

When to use HOE?

Lori D's response on this link was so helpful for the resources that are very similar to HOE for Free.

Solution 1 - print up 44 pages of instructions

solution 2 -watch the video's on Khan

solution 3 -play the games on Online Math Learning website: Algebra Math Games

***Make my own manipulative's.****

can also use Nansk's ideas here for more lesson plans:

[quote

Here is one lesson plan with some starter equations. Here is another one. Here is a third one that uses candy instead of pawns.

HTH We shall see if I really miss those DVD's or not. Since it's free its worth the try! thank you to Lori D and Nansk!!

I vote start 3rd grade. I started it this past summer with my kids going into 3rd and 7th. It was really way too easy for my incoming 7th grader. We didn't get very far, so maybe the verbal problems will be more challenging when we get there. It was perfect for my 3rd grader and he begged me to do more. He said something like, "I love this! This is the best math I've ever done". It feels like a game since there are game pieces. I think it was also exciting for him to discover how it worked. But that was no new revelation for my older ds.

My 3rd grader is very good at math, but I'd think this would be about right for most 3rd graders. I'd sure at least buy it now and try it. If they don't get it, wait a year.