Menu

I hate atypical presentations of illnesses...

You know...there is no fever. Child has a little cough. Nothing to worry about. WHY would ANYONE bring their child to the doctor's or consider going to the ER for THAT?

?

Sometimes a severe illness in a child doesn't look severe....until it is so bad that anyone can tell. Know how YOUR kids act and behave...know that for one of them it is safer to feel stupid for bringing them in with a little cough and wheezing, knowing it's how she develops pneumonia than brush it off. Just glad there was a cancellation, and we could get in

I was not relishing the thought of going to the ER,...

My DD6 has severe atypical asthma and lung inflammation. She's fine until she's not. And then she's in the hospital on oxygen, IV magnesium & steroids, continuous albuterol....

She presents with behavior changes and a little cough. That's where we are today. I'm on red alert. Anyone else who saw her would think I was crazy.

You have my sympathy.

That's our story with strep. Oldest had no other symptoms - no redness in throat - nothing. No fever. But he had a huge meltdown, threw his phone - cracking his worker's car windshield and hitting him. Strep test -positive.

Middle will start pulling out his hair and other lovely tics. Youngest son quits sleeping and bounces off the walls. No typical strep symptoms at all and the rapid strep test doesn't always catch it either.

Every single ear infection my son has had has only had one symptom...almost total loss of hearing. That's it. No fever, no pain, nothing else. I am questioned every single time I bring him in about *why* I would think he has an ear infection when his temp is normal and he has no pain. I absolutely despise the eye-rolls and condescending smiles I get when I say that he has an ear infection, yet they don't see the typical symptoms so they think I am imagining things or overreacting.

Then they take a peek in his ear to humor me and their jaw drops. Yes, his ear drum is so swollen from the infection that it can't work, leaving him temporarily deaf in that ear. Duh.

That's our story with strep. Oldest had no other symptoms - no redness in throat - nothing. No fever. But he had a huge meltdown, threw his phone - cracking his worker's car windshield and hitting him. Strep test -positive.

Middle will start pulling out his hair and other lovely tics. Youngest son quits sleeping and bounces off the walls. No typical strep symptoms at all and the rapid strep test doesn't always catch it either.

Yep. DS6 had mock anaphylaxis with strep. :001_huh: :blink: Not to mention a rash all over his body that our peds couldn't figure out for months. It is a really long story, but he honestly would not have been properly diagnosed except that DD DID have typical strep symptoms. When she tested positive, they tested DS6 too and yep, once he started antibiotics, the rash went away and--surprise, surprise--he was not the least bit allergic to anything.

Glad you cracked the code, OP, and that you don't have to go to the ER. I despise the ER.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

Glad you were able to get her in. That used to happen to one of my daughters. The first time, her older brother was sick, coughing, feverish, and I brought him in for an appt. HE was fine, just a low-grade fever with a cold. But his little sister happened to tag along, who I thought was fine, and the doctor picked up on a few things. He turned his attention to HER during my son's appt., and we discovered that SHE was the one with pneumonia! Boy did I feel dumb! But she had no symptoms that seemed like a red light to me, at all.

Another time, she was raking leaves but complaining that she felt so tired. I thought it was just an excuse to get out of raking! Later that night as she was falling asleep, her breathing seemed strange and I noticed that her lips were blue! She wasn't complaining about anything, but I got really scared and brought her to the ER. She was in the midst of a full-fledged asthma attack and didn't know it. (It was her first one, and I knew nothing about asthma.)

Part of the problem is that she is not a complainer, and she has a high pain tolerance. She is now 22 years old but has gotten to know her body better, finally.

Every single ear infection my son has had has only had one symptom...almost total loss of hearing. That's it. No fever, no pain, nothing else. I am questioned every single time I bring him in about *why* I would think he has an ear infection when his temp is normal and he has no pain. I absolutely despise the eye-rolls and condescending smiles I get when I say that he has an ear infection, yet they don't see the typical symptoms so they think I am imagining things or overreacting.

Then they take a peek in his ear to humor me and their jaw drops. Yes, his ear drum is so swollen from the infection that it can't work, leaving him temporarily deaf in that ear. Duh.

I am oh so sick of that eye rolling and the condescending smiles. I get that too and from the Doctors that have been treating them for ages and should no better. I honestly have gotten better response from the ER doctors - they seem more open to atypical symptoms.

I absolutely refuse to see one of the Dr's in the practice who got mad because I wouldn't trust the rapid strep test and told my kids I wanted to medicate them for my convenience when I was concerned about exposing my hospice bound grandmother! Worse he started in on me in front of the kids. Not acceptable.

Yep. I have 2 of those kids.

Once dd had a bladder infection so severe that they almost hospitalized her.......yet, NO symptoms.

Other dd has asthma and I could tell we were in trouble when her cheeks turned red when she was a baby. Just a little cough could be pneumonia, etc.

Thankfully we had a great primary that got to the point where I could call in and say what was going on and I could get the meds we needed on weekends/holidays without ER often.

Now the doctors will give me a script for the asthma meds, steroids, and sometimes an antibiotic if we are going to be traveling and just might need it. 95% of the time we never need the meds and don't fill the scripts but if we do, it sure is nice to be able to treat ASAP when out of town.

You know...there is no fever. Child has a little cough. Nothing to worry about. WHY would ANYONE bring their child to the doctor's or consider going to the ER for THAT?

?

Sometimes a severe illness in a child doesn't look severe....until it is so bad that anyone can tell. Know how YOUR kids act and behave...know that for one of them it is safer to feel stupid for bringing them in with a little cough and wheezing, knowing it's how she develops pneumonia than brush it off. Just glad there was a cancellation, and we could get in

I was not relishing the thought of going to the ER,...

Well, maybe it isn't bad? My oldest throws everything off. My instinct made me take her in once though and she had cellulitis. The doctor actually called me at home later, and when I told him she was playing with her brother, he said, "WHY? How is this kid fine? ALL the kids I see with this go in the hospital??" Well, praise God, she didn't.

But if it gets worse...go in.

Then there's me. I have never been in the ER/hospital at all, except for tonsils. So when I began vomiting for no reason and felt kind of bad, I thought I had the flu. Three days later, realizing I was no better and also stopped going to the bathroom, I went to the hospital and was "near death" with a blown appendix and a raging infection. Everyone else said they had been screaming in pain with damaged organs...but not me and one other guy - a hospital doc - who was on my floor. We thought we had the flu!

DD had pneumonia, and was not moving air well. We were given a prescription for a nebulizer...she's getting 3 treatments a day, plus an oral steroid and ABX.

She has finally started coughing like a normal kid with pneumonia, and the gunk is finally being expelled. The doctor also suggested we have her allergist do a pulmonary function test at her next appointment, just to make sure asthma is off the table (she has a couple of mild environmental allergies, and the only time she has had wheezing, she's had pneumonia). My younger DS had breathing issues when sick, but he grew out of them...but he had croup-like symptoms due to a smaller-than-normal trachea, which became inflamed when sick and made him sound like a barking seal, with really bad stridor.

As far as it "not being that bad," we take breathing issues seriously. While there was no fever, no "big" signs of illness, dd was up coughing all night, and was "squeaking" when she breathed, her breaths were shallow, she was showing signs of fatigue, and she was having pain in her chest when she breathed. The use of inhaler perked her up a little while, but wore off quickly. Plus, we have history on our side. She had even fewer symptoms in July, and her left lung was so filled with fluid, there was zero air movement in the bottom half of her lung.

We have an awesome pediatrician (the whole practice is really great). No one questioned my mommy gut. No one said to wait and see...if they hadn't been able to get her in, they would have referred us to the ER. Experience, in this case, tells us that waiting until she "looks" serious based upon typical presentation of the illness, would have had her in critical condition.

My friend's ped told her to take her dd to the ER for a MRI (the ped *thought* it would be faster). they sat around the ER for five hours because she 'looked' fine, and they had so many higher priority-triaged patients (who all went home). she had a brain bleed and was promptly admitted to ICU after they *finally* did the MRI.

My friend's ped told her to take her dd to the ER for a MRI (the ped *thought* it would be faster). they sat around the ER for five hours because she 'looked' fine, and they had so many higher priority-triaged patients (who all went home). she had a brain bleed and was promptly admitted to ICU after they *finally* did the MRI.

I've never had to wait at the ER, when the Pediatrician calls it in, which is what they would have done... this is different than telling me to just go to the ER, though. When the Pediatrician calls, she tells them that, "This is Dr. so-and-so, I am sending Child's Name to the ER to be seen immediately. I am sending you a copy of their chart." We get there, sign in, and are called back to triage within 10 minutes of arrival (we've only had to do this 3x, in 13 years, for 2 different children). Now, if we just "show up" -- yeah, we'll be sitting for awhile.

I only like to see our pedi when that happens, because every other doc will say it is a virus. Ds vomits nonstop until he gets meds for strep, but only his pedi gets, and he does not put him through the nasty swab test either. Two shots and we are on our way home with a happy boy.