Menu

Asking for church input(cc)

I attended a fantastic Eastern Orthodox parish that was 30-40 min from home until a year and a half ago. My husband started to work on Sundays, we share one car and my dropping him off at work is not feasible right now. He leaves at 3-4 am and puts in 14-16 hour days. We are saving for a new car, but other things(dental work, pet sick and needed to be put down, fridge died and on and on ;)) keep getting in the way.

I miss church, but have no way to go. I am theologically 100% on board with EO. I have not yet been baptized though. There are 5 churches in walking distance to my house, including a large Episcopalian church and a fairly large mainstream denimination that has a lot going on.

I am not theologically on the same page as either place(or any of them), but I miss church. These places are not the same for me with regards to worship. They are not the community I would choose to be part of if I had a way to get to my church.

I had rides when it was just DS and me, but no one has room for 3 extra people and there's really only 3 other families that attend from my area. There is no EO church closer.

So, would it be advisable to just wait to attend until I can find a way back to the EO church? WWYD? Any thoughts?

I would attend the local RCC, (especially a traditional one) is very close to EO liturgically.

Have you a near by Catholic church? They would be closer theologically than the Episcopalian church. I've always said if I wasn't Catholic I'd be EO.

I can not walk to the local Catholic Church, otherwise I agree that would be my best option.

What about attending service at the EO church on another day that your DH has off?

Or, a closer RCC might be similar enough for you theologically until you can get to your church. :)

They don't regularly have services on his days off, but when I they do I go.

I guess it would depend how die hard I am on the theological differences. Personally, I could go to some churches that vary from mine on certain issues (for instance, we are reformed... but I could handle going to a non-reformed church... I would even be open to considering going to a catholic church). However, there are other denominations that I just wouldn't be able to handle and would probably opt to just do a bible study with the kids instead.

Would it be an option for 2 families to give you a ride? One family could take the older sibling maybe? I would talk with your church leadership... maybe someone would even have an extra car you could borrow on Sundays?

yes, talk with your priest. He may have some options. I would also get his blessing to go to a non-EO church first. If I couldn't go to an EO church I would definitely up my Ancient Faith Radio listening. On Sunday mornings they used to stream a Liturgy. They probably still do. Find out when it's on and listen. I've done it when I've stayed home with a sick child (or been sick myself). I'm pretty sure it was live and I could hear the Epistle & Gospel readings for that day - which was nice.

In the mornings you can also do a reader's service with you child. It would also include the readings. Then you could read the story of the saint of the day to your child. I have "Lives of Saints for Young People" put out by Synaxis Press (it's a series and it's wonderful).

Edited by PrincessMommy
edited

yes, talk with your priest. He may have some options. I would also get his blessing to go to a non-EO church first. If I couldn't go to an EO church I would definitely up my Ancient Faith Radio listening. On Sunday mornings they used to stream a Liturgy. They probably still do. Find out when it's on and listen. I've done it when I've stayed home with a sick child (or been sick myself). I'm pretty sure it was live and I could hear the Epistle & Gospel readings for that day - which was nice.

In the mornings you can also do a reader's service with you child. It would also include the readings. Then you could read the story of the saint of the day to your child. I have "Lives of Saints for Young People" put out by Synaxis Press (it's a series and it's wonderful).

:iagree:

Not EO, but LDS here. My branch is an hour drive away and we have a one car family. My Mom is an Episcopalian minister and she does supply work, so some Sundays I can't go to my church. I watch a service on TV, and try and do my lessons at home. It's not perfect, but it helps feed my soul. Another thing I've done is found some LDS communities online that I can get some socialization and theological conversations with. Those REALLY help me.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

That'd be really hard, Mrs. Basil. I agree with the ones who said to ask your priest. He may have some good options for you (like the reader service that was mentioned). You might also ask about becoming a catechumen.