Menu

Calling indoor paint pro's. . . on picking the right shade. . .

Tomorrow I'm headed to Home Depot to pick out a Behr's paint color. I'd like to paint my bedroom walls this yellow below, but I have no idea how to match it. I don't have a color printer or a fancy phone to send this picture to.

Any ideas of what this color might be? Or what I should look for? Aside from just "light yellow?"

I won't get a lot of chances so if I end up putting up the wrong color -- too gold or too mustard etc. -- I'll just have to live with it. Bottom line: our new house is dark. Cabin-dark which isn't bad, it's sort of cozy, but I'm trying to figure out how to lighten up the rooms a bit.

TIA!

Alley

267823509059719954_D9qA5lpM_c.jpg

Our walls are a similar color to this and at Sherwin Williams it is "Blonde". On the sample card, it looks yellowish-beige but is much more yellow on the walls. If you could get the sample card from Sherwin Williams or even buy a sample can of paint, they could match it at the store of your choice. Picking paint is so hard!

Don't buy paint tomorrow. Make a few trips first. Get paint strips of all the colors you think you'll like and tape them on the wall at home. This will help you narrow it down because you'll see them at home, in your own lighting. You can also move the paint strips around the room to see how it looks in different places. Once you narrow it down, you can buy a small can to test it. (I think they're about $7, though it's been a few years since we painted) you can then paint squares around the room to see the color in a larger area and make your final decision. If you don't have $ to buy the test can, at least take the strips home. The colors look a lot different in house than in the store light. I've also found that I tend to err too dark. So if I was frying to lighten a room, I'd Get strips that were lighter than I thought I needed.

Yellow can be tough because it tends to get brighter on the walls. I used Benjamin Moore's Believable Buff on my main areas in my old house and loved it. It was sort of a manilla folder color at night and a creamy yellow during the day.

Here's a Google Image search: https://www.google.com/search?q=believable+buff&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS472US472&aq=f&sugexp=chrome,mod%3D10&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=oMxTUNn2HOns2gWi6IHYDg&biw=1920&bih=979&sei=ocxTULG-N8bL2QXnk4GoCQ

The thumbnail is how the color looked in our house

Edited by Barb F. PA in AZ

Yes, get samples and hang them. Lighting in that particular room makes a huge difference and yellows can be difficult.

We painted grey in two rooms of our previous house. In the hallway it was clearly grey, but not a lot of light came into that area. In the living room it had a pink hue. Dh is a paint pro and that one was a pain even for him.

Another idea is to get a swatch of fabric that works in the room and have it matched. It's much easier to match paint to fabric.

We've ended up painting a few rooms in our old house twice because the lighting make such a difference.

Thank you, guys, you're wonderful!

I'm going to take your advice and get three to four samples ($3) each and put them directly onto the walls, let them dry and then decide.

Thank you!

Alley

Yay - this is definitely the right approach. We have a gold colored living room which sounds horrible, but our house is 97 years old, has very dark wood work and just is a little dark in general. I brought home so many samples but they looked so washed out in our space. I ended up with a much bold color than I would have otherwise and I didn't like the look of it on the chip at all in the store. In our space it doesn't seem so crazy bright and it really warms up the wood work.

I'm going to take your advice and get three to four samples ($3) each and put them directly onto the walls, let them dry and then decide.

Thank you!

Alley

Yay - this is definitely the right approach. We have a gold colored living room which sounds horrible, but our house is 97 years old, has very dark wood work and just is a little dark in general. I brought home so many samples but they looked so washed out in our space. I ended up with a much bolder color than I would have otherwise and I didn't like the look of it on the chip at all in the store. In our space it doesn't seem so crazy bright and it really warms up the wood work.

Agreeing - don't buy tomorrow. Yellow is one of the hardest colors to get right.

We sell paint, and are always very intentional about talking to our customers about their choices for yellow. What looks gentle in the paint store, will scream at you in your home. As a general rule, if you like the color choose something a shade or two lighter - it will look too light in comparison to the other crayon colors on the paint strip, but will compliment your home much better (unless you happen to really enjoy crayola).

And my 2 cents - I would get a nicer paint. Behr is the lowest quality out there. A nicer paint will make your finished product look so much better.

Spend tomorrow patching, sanding, and gathering color samples - you will be so much happier in the end.

ETA: My best guess on the paint color you are asking for is Benjamin Moore's Philadelphia Cream. (love that color, btw)

Edited by LibertyH

Get the sample strips. Look at them at different times of the day. Pick the color that most closely fits what you want after doing so.

Then look to the NEXT LIGHTEST COLOR on the strip (because the colors always look stronger and darker on the walls than on the strip.) Go to the paint store and buy a little sample jar of that color. Bring it home. Put a stripe of it on each wall. Again, check at different times of the day.

Then adjust as necessary. Lather, rinse, repeat.

My husband, who paints for a living, says don't buy paint from Home Depot at all. Go to Sherman Williams...their paint is thicker so needs fewer coats and goes on better. As to picking a color....get samples and take them home to view a bit on your wall in the lighting of your own room.

If you paint the non-glossy side of poster board and hang it on the wall with tacks, you can move it around the room to see if you like it in varying locations, and you won't have to paint over the sample spots.

Thank you!

Alley

Don't put the samples right on your walls. Get some white posterboard at the dollar store and paint them on that. That way you have large pieces and can carry them around to try in different rooms or different spots in the room and different lights.

Ha, just saw Rough Collie said the same thing! Well great minds, hehe... :)