Menu

Jeans suggestions for a 7yo with a booty

This may sound dumb, but I am totally at the end of my rope with this "skinny, skinnier, skinniest" jeans thing. I have a little girl whom I am trying to dress modestly. I don't want her to look shapeless, but I also don't want her to look like pedophile bait. This child has yet to wear a pair of jeans that haven't belonged to her brother.

The problem is that she has always had a bit of a figure. She is not overweight or a "plus/half" size. Those sizes just fit all wrong. I have a picture of her when she was 3, and she already had curves where a woman's natural waistline would be. She's lean on top, but she's inherited my husband's not-insubstantial butt and thighs. If I put her into any pair of girls' jeans that I have ever seen, she is going to look like, well, a working girl.

I sew, and I know from experience that any pair of jeans that I see for sale that lays flat in the front and back will not accommodate her rear end. She needs something that, when laying flat, will "bunch up" at the seat. I also am totally uninterested in anything that is low-rise. So far the only luck I've had has been a 1950's solution: Put her in her brother's loose fit pants. On her, the loose fit still looks a little curvy. She fills the jeans differently from my son. Unfortunately, they just don't look like girls' jeans. The pockets sit too low on the seat, and the legs are cut too wide for girls' jeans. She wears them at home, but I don't really send her out in them. They just look wrong.

Certainly I can't be the only mother with this problem. I assume that if you live on a ranch, your girls aren't dressing in jeggings! Right now she's mostly wearing knit pants, but she really needs to have the durability and versatility of a decent pair of jeans.

I am seriously missing the jeans of my youth. Dressing her in the late-'80s or early '90s would have been a cinch. If anyone has any suggestions for brands/styles, I'd love to hear them. I am hoping that, now that she is firmly in girls' sizes, there is some option out there that I'm unaware of. (She's probably in a size 7 or 8.)

--Pamela

My little girl was unfortunate enough to inherit my round backside. She too has a figure already. She usually wears jeans from The Children's Place and some Wranglers, but if I tucked in her shirts, or let her wear shorter or fitted shirts, she would look all wrong too. She likes baby doll style tops and looser longer sweaters and that has taken care of the problem for me. She can wear her skinny jeans and a loose long sweater and most people can't notice that she has curves. I would never get away with putting her in boys jeans though. She has her own sense of style and won't wear something unless she really likes it.

Sorry - my curvy DD (now 11) ended up wearing mostly leggings with skirts and yoga/knit pants. Every once in a while we would find a pair of nice fitting pants in the Lands End brand that didn't sit too low on the hips or a pair of overalls, but mostly she wore knit.

If you can find the Land's End girls jeans that are not "pencil" leg, they should fit her pretty well. My jean wearing dd has those and they fit her quite well (she too has well built thighs and butt).

Another option might be the "Not Ready for a Boyfriend" jeans from Hanna Andersson. We haven't tried them yet, but I plan on ordering a pair shortly.

The cut look about right. I hate the name, though.

Two of my girls have a bit of "junk in the trunk" also. we do a lot of leggings with long shirts also, or jeans that are 1 size larger with longer shirts.

When I can find them at a good price, Apple Bottom jeans have the best fit for their figure. Once the girls stop growing nonstop, I'll invest in several pair.

We have the opposite problem, my girls are skinny with flat butts and tiny thighs. The jeans that have fit them the worst have been from Osh Kosh. They sagged horribly in the butt and were loose through the thigh. I think they would fit great on a kid that had a bit more to fill them out and they are cut for little girls, not women.

You guys are the greatest. Even if I couldn't find anything, it's nice to have someone to commiserate with! Plus you've come up with a few brands I haven't heard of before, which is what I was hoping for.

Land's End and Hanna Anderson both look promising, and I never would've thought to look there. I can't say I'm keen on the prices, but I may just have to live with it.

Has anyone ever tried a brand called La Galleria? I saw their line of colored twill jeans while looking for a different brand, and they look promising, fit-wise. They're also on sale for $19, which is a step up from $30-50. They come in a number of bright colors. Here's a link for the blue:

http://www.drjays.com/shop/G2-V61984-R404-P1364044/sizes-7-16-big-kids/colored-twill-jeans-7-16.html

Oddly, the purple ones seem to be cut narrower in the seat than the blue and red.

--Pamela

Ah, I'm glad to see this thread! My 6 year old is very lean and can fit in the skinny girls jeans just fine. My 4 year old, OTOH, has a bigger booty than her big sister and I'm already running into trouble finding jeans that fit her properly and don't show butt crack when she bends over or squats down. So much for continuing to hand me down the jeans from her big sister!

One of my daughters is built this way. When she was younger I bought a pair of the Hanna Andersson jeans that are currently called "Carefree Jeans", and she always found them comfortable. At that time they were being sold as unisex jeans and even had adult sizes.

This summer when I needed to buy her more jeans for camp, we tried a lot of brands at our local Goodwill, but none of them fit well unless we bought a very large size and hemmed them up at least 6". By the end she persuaded me to just go to Hanna and buy another pair of the comfortable jeans. They had them in the boys' section of the store, but they are the exact same jean.

They're roomy on her even around the hips, and with the drawstring she can cinch them around her waist so they don't fall down. We choose her size according to her height, so they are the right length. I never have to worry about modesty with these... they cover everything quite well.

Good luck!

For my curvy girl, I buy jeans in the boys department. JCPenney Arizona boys jeans to be precise. You will need to try them on first as the sizing is quite different. When she wants something with all the sparkle and glam that is on some girls jeans, I buy patches and the like at Michaels and Hobby Lobby to make them more girly.

Not much help, but I can commiserate! My 9yo dd also has a larger behind as well as mild sensory issues, making the tight fitting jeans very difficult. I wish there were more options available. She loves skorts the best and will wear them all she can, weather permitting.

Elaine

Edited by ElaineJ
typos

I buy boys jeans, too, for my 4 1/2 year old daughter. She also wears a lot of cotton dresses with leggings-- we love Lands End and Hanna for those. I can *usually* find quite a few of the lands end cotton dresses at thrift stores, which is great. I can never find the leggings though, so I try and match those up and buy online when they go on clearance.

I will have to look into the Hanna jeans! I wish we had a Hanna store near us to try them out.

I find the Kohls, sonoma jeans to be the classic fit. Not the skinny jeans or low rise. The waist band is adjustable.

I was looking at their website right now, and it looks like Sonoma only makes girls clothes in sizes 4-7. I don't see anything in older girls sizes. (I thought I'd mention it because I know other people are looking for suggestions, too.)

--Pamela

For my curvy girl, I buy jeans in the boys department. JCPenney Arizona boys jeans to be precise.

Thanks! I'll try those on her the next time we're at Penney's. I don't mind her wearing boys' jeans, and I'm happy to embellish them, but I didn't like the fit her brother's jeans had.

--Pamela

Edited by pahansen

My DD has a similar problem. Jeans never fit her. Her booty is a bit round, but she also has a bit of a tummy. Not big enough for plus size, but too big for regular size.

I have resigned myself to only buying her sweats and knit pants until she is a teenager. At that point, if she wants jeans, she will be willing to work off the extra inch of waist that makes all the pants not fit.

I was going to suggest Penney's arizona jeans as well, My son is shaped oddly, but is also just big boned and tall, with muscular legs and a little bit of a tummy, but no hips or butt, and they are the only place I have found jeans to fit him. I realize he has the opposite problem of your DD, but their jeans still might work for her.

We have ended up going with the Husky sizes that have adjustable waist things inside, because the regular ones are made for beanpoles, and too slim all over.

He has also outgrown most boys clothes at all though, and they don't seem to have the junior section for boys...so now I am trying to find 30 inch waist jeans with 28 inch inseams in them men's, which is nearly impossible!

We have the opposite problem, my girls are skinny with flat butts and tiny thighs. The jeans that have fit them the worst have been from Osh Kosh. They sagged horribly in the butt and were loose through the thigh. I think they would fit great on a kid that had a bit more to fill them out and they are cut for little girls, not women.

My kids are built the same way and for them, skinny jeans are *the* solution. Have you tried a pair of skinny jeans on your girls? Crazy 8 has some that are $10/pair and they come in slim sizes with adjustable waists. Slim sized skinny jeans with the waists cinched in as tight as they get? Just about the only thing that has ever worked for my two, LOL, and they rear end is still maybe just a tiny bit baggy.

Now me, on the other hand? I wish I had the same problem as my kids, but alas, skinny jeans would be a pretty horrifying sight on me. :tongue_smilie:

• 8 years later...

Hi, all :)

I appreciate all the suggestions for jeans, but I’m also looking for leggings and knit pants for my 5yo granddaughter that don’t show half her backside any time she bends over, or maybe even better, an alteration tutorial to add a panel to them to make them higher waisted, since she has the same issue with pajamas, too :(

Even buying 2 sizes too big hasn’t kept her covered :(