Menu

Are you a "clueless mom" when it come to fashion/make up/girly stuff?

My 15dd wants to go for a pedicure, manicure, and hand/foot massage for her 16th birthday. You know, I honestly have NO idea where to even go for this for a 16 year old girl. Doesn't have to be fancy, just clean and appropriate for a teen.

I am pretty clueless about this stuff. I try to dress neatly but I am no fashion statement at all. I am more at home in the barn or in the saddle than in the mall.

I would look in the phone book for all the upscale hair salons and "spas" and then call or look on the internet for prices.

I would not go to a cut rate place for these type of services. I would want someplace that at least appeared upscale and extra clean.

I hope you are going to get a Mani/Pedi too to keep your daughter company.

I'm not, but my dds aren't that interested. :D I'm going to start borrowing other people's dds and buying them fashionable jeans and shoes, because mine don't appreciate them much. :lol: I bribed them to let me paint their nails with new polish.

If you want to go someplace nice, watch the news (if you have a local news station.) The big salon in town will be in the credits at the end usually (unless you are in a really big city and they have their own makeup/hair.) You can also ask people who look like they "have it together" at the grocery or bank.

No, but my husband (who works in the OR) says manicures and pedicures are dangerous, right up there with tattoos. :confused: When he talks about infected fingers or toes getting amputated, and all that, I have no desire to "go for a mani or pedi." :tongue_smilie:But then again, I wouldn't anyway. :D A massage, yes.

I'm definitely clueless. But one of my sisters-in-law is one of those people who wouldn't so much as answer the telephone without a full face of makeup on, so I figure I can send the kids off to Aunty if they get interested in that sort of stuff.

Edited by Hotdrink

Ohhhh, there is NOTHING like a great pedicure! They usually have massaging chairs!

Around here I would separate those two appointments. There is a local shopping area here where you could go to Massage Envy - very clean, upscale but not too pricy. A few doors down is a good manicure shop. In the same center is a Starbucks, always a prerequisite when heading for a mani/pedi! When you are done you can grab a frozen yogurt instead of lunch. Sounds to me like a wonderful day!

Look for a chain massage place like Massage Envy or Massage Heights. They are not a spa, so they don't upsell other services, and they have affordable rates for 30 or 60 minute massages. They cater to us normal folks, not the "spa" clientele. :tongue_smilie: Once you find something like that there is likely going to be a manicure shop close by, here they are in every single strip center.

If you are not a mani/pedi sort, ask the lady who cuts your hair (if you have one!!) who she recommends, unless she does it herself. Most know reputable nail places and can recommend one that is clean and not the least bit sleazy.

My dd wanted to get a pedicure for her birthday, with one other little girl. I had no idea where to take them. The two spas near the house were too expensive but the lady who cuts my hair said to go to a certain beauty college that has a good reputation. We made appointments and while the place was far from fancy, they had nice chairs and everything was clean and good. The two young ladies that did the pedi's were bubbly, kind, and very happy to have two pairs of pretty little feet to work on. They played it up and it was a good experience. And it was affordable.

Maybe check that out, but make sure you avoid any nasty beauty schools that are sort of rough. Ask around.

Where I live, there are nail places in every strip mall. I don't know how they all stay in business. They do only a light massage on the hands and feet, but my girls seem to enjoy the whole routine. I don't do manicures and pedicures. My nails have never been nice and there is no way I would ever let anyone touch my feet. eeek!

My 15dd wants to go for a pedicure, manicure, and hand/foot massage for her 16th birthday. You know, I honestly have NO idea where to even go for this for a 16 year old girl. Doesn't have to be fancy, just clean and appropriate for a teen.

I am pretty clueless about this stuff. I try to dress neatly but I am no fashion statement at all. I am more at home in the barn or in the saddle than in the mall.

:grouphug: (I'm with you! :lol:)

I've always said the good Lord knew what He was doing when He gave me boys. :001_smile:

I don't have a clue how to "be girly"... and it's a gosh-darned good thing that the Good Lord sent me all boys! :tongue_smilie:

:iagree: Someone else needs to raise the girls (if they are girly anyway). God sent me boys knowing I could never handle "girl stuff." I don't even care for the "Women's Events" at church or elsewhere. I detest makeup (and don't use it myself now that I'm out of my teens).