Menu

Questions for mamas of twins

I feel kind of silly for asking this and I know the only way to really know is by having an ultrasound, but I just have this "feeling". And it's weird because I tell myself no way is that possible, and the next second it says yes, you are. I don't want know if I should trust my feeling.

Anyway, if you are a mama of twins how early did you know? Did you feel any differently than other pregnancies?

I am 3w6d today. I knew a week ago that I was pregnant and took the test 2 days ago and again yesterday. I have been feeling dizzy, I have headaches and feel nauseated if I don't constantly eat something. I have to go to the bathroom evey 15 minutes and I'm so tired.

I was exactly like this with my 6th pregnancy. Started showing super early, my morning sickness kicked in 2 weeks earlier than usual, and if I remember correctly my pregnancy test came back as positive several days before my cycle was due to start.

She is a singleton (but boy oh boy does she cause enough trouble to be two!!!!!).

I suspected quite early. I was much more nauseated than with other pregnancies, much hungrier (it seemed eating made the nausea better), more weight being put on all over much earlier. Early on, before the ultrasound, I thought I felt distinct flutter movements in two separate locations. I didn't tell anyone about the movement, since I thought they'd say I was being nutty. I did tell them at my first appointment that I felt more nauseous than previously, and they said that could be a sign of twins. We have a string of fraternal twins on my side, plus I was AMA, so there were other factors making it more likely.

It was twins.

Erica in OR

I didn't suspect until my Dr told me. I had a very normal early pregnancy and no reason to think anything was different. I felt movement extremely early because of where one of the placentas was, but by then I already knew it was twins. I would have just thought I was feeling movements early if I hadn't known yet. The Dr said we could feel movement (even through the skin) because we had 2 placentas and one was pushed forward toward my belly more than it would normally sit. Since I am thin, there was little barrier between the baby and my skin.

The two of my pregnancies that were viable were both VERY different. I knew *something* was different with my twins, but really I just thought it was a boy..lol. I was SO nauseated and tired. I think I slept for about 8 weeks straight. I lost about 15lbs at the beginning. But, we were also in the middle of a huge move and my dh was living in another state. (stress much?)

I had no idea that it was twins and was beyond shocked at my 9 week ultrasound when two babies popped up.

I knew quite early from an early ultrasound that it was twins due to my high-risk history... I was told at that appointment to expect extreme nausea. I never felt nauseated and never became sick. My *girls* never changed size or became sensitive. I didn't start showing until after 18 weeks and only gained a total of 37 lbs the whole pregnancy. Pretty much I was sure I had lost the pregnancy or that something was extremely wrong the entire time! I'm a big believer in trusting your instincts though, so if you're hoping for twins I hope it happens!

Either way, Congratulations!!!!

My twins were my second pregnancy, and I knew right away they were twins, but it was mostly a gut feeling. In fact, I was sort of in denial about it and didn't find out officially until my 18 week u/s.

I was bigger than I should have been - my belly popped really early, like 8 weeks. My symptoms were extreme. I remember being so tired I could barely drag myself from my bed to the couch.

I remember the day before my u/s, I had a dream where the number 2 and the number 7 kept flashing. My due date was in August, so I couldn't figure out what 7 was supposed to be. I immediately knew 2 meant twins though. Turns out the 7 was because they were born 3 weeks early on the last day of July.

I did have a "feeling" it was twins. So did my husband, my mother in law, and my sister! Then when we got to my first doctors appointment my doctor told me it was twins, before any tests or examinations were done. It was really crazy!!

It was very different than my other pregnancies. By six weeks my pants were already too tight, yet I had not gained any weight. I was also having major morning sickness, and with my first two pregnancies I never had morning sickness at all. I found out it was twins when I was six weeks. My doctor always does a dating ultrasound at your first appointment.

I suspected something was different early on due to the extreme nausea. I couldn't even handle the smell of the trash or dirty dishes in the sink, I had never actually gotten sick in previous pregnancies, and with this one I lost 15 lbs right off the bat. I brought it up at appointments, but because I had no other odd symptoms and I didn't show earlier, they disregarded, and only heard one heartbeat with the dopler. I really didn't show larger than normal until just before the routine 20 wk ultrasound, and that's when we found out. What a whirlwind.

I also found out at 6 weeks. My OB/GYN did a vag. ultrasound, and when dh looked at the screen and said "There it is", she said "Nooooo, there THEY are". :D Funny thing was, three years earlier, before we were even preggo w/ #1, we had 3 different people tell us we were going to have twins.

I had no idea until the ultrasound technician told us there were two babies in there - it was my SECOND ultrasound!

(They didn't see two babies on the first ultrasound.)

Same here. We found out at the routine, 20-week ultrasound. #2 was missed on the first, vaginal ultrasound. We have no history of twins in either family so we weren't even looking for a second.

They were my second pregnancy. I had the same amount of morning sickness as all my other pregnancies. My belly started getting larger earlier. I chalked it up to it being my second pregnancy so my muscles weren't as tight. I also had some brief, semi-painful braxton-hicks in the first trimester when I would walk more than a couple of blocks.