Menu

I am starting to stress about Christmas. Normally we would be getting a good sized check in November, because I was able to have a portion of my check at my job taken out each month and we were given the extra check in November to help with Christmas expenses. Now that I am not working, we have cut our money in half and we are not going to get that check, so I have no idea how we are going to buy anything for Christmas. On top of that, we have 17 people on our list of people to buy for. I am not crafty. Any ideas?

I've got 2 big bottles of vodka brewing into vanilla right now for Christmas. It's not too late to get them started. I ordered the beans from Amazon and bought the cheap vodka. I think the vanilla was maybe $25 and the vodka was $9/each...maybe...something like that. I will still have to buy some little small bottles to package it, but I found some on Amazon pretty cheap. I will get at least 10 gifts for less than $5 each, and WAAAAYYYYYY better than what I would have bought for $5 for these folks. I'm super excited about it.:D Oh, good part is that I will have some left for me too!

I would reevaluate your shopping list. I think Christmas is much too commercial as it is. Letters of love and appreciation, Maybe gifts of time? Service, babysitting, clean your house, wash your windows in the spring, etc.

I know so many people that are living with financial cutbacks that they didn't have earlier that I wouldn't be surprised to see Christmas be much smaller across the board. Are these people that you can talk to and say, "Maybe we just get together and have desserts and sing carols, or have a christmas caroling party and then back to your house for cocoa and cookies?"

Yes, talk to your people and propose things like

--let's just have presents for the kids, not the adults

--let's just get together for a cookie swap or a hot chocolate/caroling party

--let's donate $5 each and give it to a charity instead of gifts

As for your own kids or any others you really have to buy presents for, start collecting ideas now for inexpensive gifts you can make. Get things on clearance now and stash them away. The Prudent Homemaker has tons of frugal gift ideas under the frugal living tab. If you can sew, look at Sew, Mama, Sew's Handmade Holidays category for a billion ideas. And there are always lots of great food things you can do!

Cut down on the number of people who receive gifts. Buy gifts only for the kids in the family. (really, most adults don't need more stuff anyway)

Bake a big batch of Christmas cookies, different kinds if possible, and give an assortment of those with a nice card to whoever else is on the list. The kids can make cards for family members.

I would reevaluate your shopping list. I think Christmas is much too commercial as it is. Letters of love and appreciation, Maybe gifts of time? Service, babysitting, clean your house, wash your windows in the spring, etc.

I know so many people that are living with financial cutbacks that they didn't have earlier that I wouldn't be surprised to see Christmas be much smaller across the board. Are these people that you can talk to and say, "Maybe we just get together and have desserts and sing carols, or have a christmas caroling party and then back to your house for cocoa and cookies?"

This. Christmas isn't about buying, it's about making each other feel appreciated.

Last year I made tamales for Christmas. I put them together, half steamed them, and froze them in dozens. They were so appreciated, not because I spent a lot, but because the recipient understood the time they took and the thought behind it. They've been asked for again this year. :D

Most grown-ups I know are at an age where they have everything they want or need. Gifts become superficial. If they have to be done, a white elephant exchange is better - especially if you can get everyone on the same theme and do something like "something worth $10 you have sitting around your house" or "family game night".

(really, most adults don't need more stuff anyway)

Most kids don't need more stuff either. ;) However, presents are fun for kids.

When I approached my sister and brother about not buying gifts for each and even for each other's kids they were immensely relieved and glad I brought it up. They were also stressing about it. I told them my kids don't need more gifts. They get plenty from dh and I and both sets of grandparents. I also told them that I knew they loved me and I didn't need a gift from them to show that. They completely and happily agreed.

I'll tell you what we're doing this year. My parents helped my kids make hummingbird feeders and they are gorgeous. So- everyone on dh's side is getting hummingbird feeders. The bottles are $2 at Hobby Lobby. A heavy wire was about $10 for a spool and the stoppers are $1 each. I'll wait til the bottles go on sale (which they always do) and I'll have 20 gifts for about $50. And they are cute! Ill post pics when the sun comes up.

Last year I made tamales for Christmas. I put them together, half steamed them, and froze them in dozens. They were so appreciated, not because I spent a lot, but because the recipient understood the time they took and the thought behind it. They've been asked for again this year. :D

Oh yeah, I would LOVE a supply of tamales --or some other neat food. My brother and his wife once did Korean potsticker thingys. Things like that are wonderful!

Oh yeah, I would LOVE a supply of tamales --or some other neat food. My brother and his wife once did Korean potsticker thingys. Things like that are wonderful!

:iagree: Gifts of food are awesome. I have given homemade jams before, and they seemed to be appreciated. I know I love getting things like that too. Even just a basket of cookies can be a great gift - a friend gave me, dh, and ds each our own little basket of cookies and candies last year and it was wonderful!

We only do gifts for the kids. What about a family gift for each family? For my nieces/nephews, I "volunteered" at the Scholastic Warehouse Sale. They give you $10/hour that you volunteer to spend on books. The kids are all getting books, plus a small toy gift. Would they agree to a weekend away instead of gifts? One year, we spend two days/one night at a state park instead of buying gifts for everyone. You pay your own way and spend the weekend together.

--let's just get together for a cookie swap or a hot chocolate/caroling party

--let's donate $5 each and give it to a charity instead of gifts

We have done all of the above with our extended families, and everyone is relieved about it. Much less stress.

Our families did this several years ago. When bil originally brought up the idea of us not buying each other gifts anymore, everyone was relieved. It seemed we were all giving each other gifts because we were afraid of offending. None of the adults were upset about giving it up.

Seventeen is a *lot* of people to buy for, especially since most of them are adults. As a pp said, adults don't really need gifts. You might be surprised that other family/friends feel the same way. Make it about spending time together, not about buying more 'stuff' for each other.

If most really don't want to give up the gift giving, perhaps suggest drawing family names each year, and giving a "whole family gift" rather than individual gifts.

Great ideas! Everyone on this list is family (our parents, brothers and sister, and their SOs), and only 4 are children, 2 of which are ours.

Yeah, we no longer give gifts to siblings and their SOs, just the nieces and nephews. (And I kind of think it's time to quit that as well; the kids don't get to see their cousins very often, and it would be just as much fun to get together, eat cookies, and play, even without all the gifts. Since we don't get to see each other often, we don't know everyone's kids' specific interests and all, and most of us have the standard kid toys by now; none of the kids needs more stuff.)

A relatively inexpensive but nice gift for an adult/couple would be a large pillar candle with a candle wrap. I know you said you are not crafty but search google images for some ideas - some are as simple as a strip of burlap tied onto the candle with twine. You can personalize it with an inexpensive charm from a craft store. You can often buy cheap pillar candles at dollar stores or other discount craft stores, or in bulk (try wedding supply).

Anyway, I am embroidering candle wraps this year for family gifts, although I'm giving my in-laws a "flameless" candle because FIL doesn't allow real candles in the house :D.

Great ideas! Everyone on this list is family (our parents, brothers and sister, and their SOs), and only 4 are children, 2 of which are ours.

I know it's tough to be the one to suggest it but I'd talk to kyour family about doing presents just for the kids only and then if you wanted to could bring a small food item for the adult family members. There have been lots of good suggestions on here for do it yourself food items. (I always make amaretto for my friends and put it in a cute bottle with Christmas ribbon. Big hit.)

It's entirely possible that you're SIL is sitting around having the same conversation with her DH and doesn't want to bring it up for fear of offending the family too.

Our families did this several years ago. When bil originally brought up the idea of us not buying each other gifts anymore, everyone was relieved. It seemed we were all giving each other gifts because we were afraid of offending. None of the adults were upset about giving it up.

The same thing happened in my family. We are all happier. I usually sew something neat for all the nieces and nephews (like library tote bags, doll/bear clothes, etc.).