Menu

Do minors need to show a birth certificate when flying??

We are flying to Chicago on Sunday & it just occurred to me that I might need to show some sort of identification for the kids (we have never flown with them before). I do not have birth certificates on hand for the youngest two. If it is really needed, I could run downtown today to pick them up. But I have sooo much to do today that I'd rather not if I really don't need them.

Have you ever had to show a birth certificate for kids ages 2-15 when flying?

I just put my 15 yo on a flight to Grandma this morning, and, nope, no ID required. I sent her with an expired passport just b/c we already had it and it would be SOMETHING, but they were totally fine with that, and it was obvious that they don't REQUIRE any ID for minors (at least under 16).

I've always had passports with them when they fly just b/c we've always had them, but they are sometimes expired, and that's never been an issue.

I just flew in July for my Dad's funeral, and although my older two had their military IDs nobody wanted to look at them. They never asked for anything for my 7 year old either.

My oldest had to take his shoes off for security screening because he's 13, but the younger kids were exempt from that. Apparently the cut off for that is 13 now.

I fly out of Kennedy (ny) and Newark (nj) and am asked every time.

And I fly out of Newark with DS 3-4 times per year, and we've never been asked for a birth certificate. Ever. In fact, the TSA says no ID is needed for minors under a certain age (16, I think). We do sometimes encounter a screener who asks DS where he's going or his name, but that's it. As others have said, airlines want it for kids who are flying as lap babies to prove that they're really under 2.

Only when flying internationally and then it's a passport. I always keep our passports with us when we fly within the US, but no one has ever asked to see them.

We always do this because our kids don't 'match' us. :D But nobody has ever asked for any ID. They say hi to the kids, ask their names and where they're going. Aside from that, no problems.

My daughter[14] flew with her Dad last year and needed her State I.D. along with her boarding pass. I assume it was the I.D. in lieu of other documentation.

I didn't have to have I.D. for the kids when they were little, but that was pre-9/11.

I would call the airline directly and ask them about their requirements.

ETA: From the TSA website - "...Passengers traveling domestically (within the United States) who are younger than 18 are not required to have an ID."

Edited by Abigail4476

We always do this because our kids don't 'match' us. :D But nobody has ever asked for any ID. They say hi to the kids, ask their names and where they're going. Aside from that, no problems.

Are they adopted? That's not always the case, of course. My niece is the bio dd of my db & sil, but she doesn't "match" my sil. My sil half Filipino & my niece is blond & fair skinned like my db & her maternal grandfather. I'm not sure if they've ever flown alone together or not, but there was quite an interesting reaction once when my sil was nursing.

Are they adopted? That's not always the case, of course. My niece is the bio dd of my db & sil, but she doesn't "match" my sil. My sil half Filipino & my niece is blond & fair skinned like my db & her maternal grandfather. I'm not sure if they've ever flown alone together or not, but there was quite an interesting reaction once when my sil was nursing.

Yes, they are both 100% Asian. Dh and I are as American as you can get. :D

No. My 15 yo daughter flew alone over the summer. She didn't need any form of ID.

I asked the airline how she was supposed to get home since I couldn't print a boarding pass for her less than 24 hours from flight time. The airline told me to have my daughter give her name and she would be fine. She did and flew with no problem.

No. My 15 yo daughter flew alone over the summer. She didn't need any form of ID.

I asked the airline how she was supposed to get home since I couldn't print a boarding pass for her less than 24 hours from flight time. The airline told me to have my daughter give her name and she would be fine. She did and flew with no problem.

Now that's scary, since there are adults who look 15.