Menu

s/o a whole list of options for using teenage drama to its maximum effect

Let's see....what was already mentioned on the previous thread....

huffing

The Whole Body Collapse (closely related to the limp noodle 2 yo flop that happens when you deny a toddler the pleasure of a bag of m and m's at the check out)

And eye-rolling...who can forget the eye-roll. One day my dd's eyes are going to freeze like that.

("Don't roll your eyes at me. It is rude and disrespectful."

"I didn't roll my eyes!"

"And you're not arguing either?")

:lol::lol::lol:

Yeah, the arguing about arguing. Personal circle of hell, right there.

Arms folded, huffy, "Whatever!" w/eyeroll.

The Twitch...when she gets angry/frustrated, my teen literally jerks her head/shoulders/body around like she's having a series of charley horses. But, her mouth doesn't stop, there's no pain involved.

talking over you while you are still giving directions b/c Duh! Of course, he already knows that.

The ARGG! - closely related to the huffing.

The walking away while you are still talking (again, he already knows that).

Then there are the umpteen million trips downstairs after bed time b/c "I can't sleep" (even thugh you know he had all that caffeine late in the day when you told him not to.)

The freakout when something goes wrong b/c he did not listen to you and talked over you and now he can't log in to his online class and is late. This one is usually accompanied by hand wringing and lots of fast talking about why it can't possibly be his fault.....so, again he can't really hear you.

And my personal favorite...begging to do x,y, or z tomorrow so that you clear your calendar and make it happen, only to wake up the next day to grumpy teen who now says. "What? I don't want to do THAT!"

All followed by the very sweet apology either later that evening or the next day.:001_smile:

Eyes bugging out to the point that I wonder if they will go back into place....

It has several variation

1. "Stunned disbelief" - these bug eyes are usually accompanied with a gaping mouth

2. "I'm the most wronged person on the planet" - Manages to make bug eyes squint too and mouth is in a snarl.

3. "Excited" - Over the top excitement which is accompanied crazy flapping arms and some inhuman shrieking

Well, I haven't had to enjoy any of these yet personally (though there are two teenage girls in my not-too-distant future), but I do recall walking away from my own mother while she was still talking, while mumbling, "meeememeemmmemememe" in a snide little voice. It's a miracle I never got a boot to the back of the head.

I'll be on that train with you in only three short years, ladies.

:willy_nilly:

My 6 year old has been doing many of these for since he was about 3 1/2. By the time I have a teenager, I'll have had a decade of practice dealing with them. I hope that means things can only improve.

I was thinking the same thing about my DD6. At least I was able to break her of the eye rolling when I informed her that I knew she was still rolling her eyes at me behind the hand she held up over them. Moms really are omniscient!

My 6 year old has been doing many of these for since he was about 3 1/2. By the time I have a teenager, I'll have had a decade of practice dealing with them. I hope that means things can only improve.

nope. Mine started this mess at age 2. It still is not any easier. In fact, it is much more irritating.

Yeah, the arguing about arguing. Personal circle of hell, right there.

Arms folded, huffy, "Whatever!" w/eyeroll.

The Twitch...when she gets angry/frustrated, my teen literally jerks her head/shoulders/body around like she's having a series of charley horses. But, her mouth doesn't stop, there's no pain involved.

I don't think I've seen The Twitch yet. I'll have to be on the look out for it. DS14 has perfected the huffy whatever eyeroll non-arguing stance. For a boy, he is SUCH a drama queen! :lol:

ETA: The ambiguous "Meh" said in the I'm so bored just from listening to you tone of voice. I tell DS at least once a day to not "Meh" me.

Edited by bobbeym

"But I thought when you said it was due today, you meant that it was due tomorrow!"

My oldest is micromanaging every. single. thing. the other children do.

Just adding a couple more gems I found in some recent posts.:001_smile:

Or asking for help with an assignment, only to be met with "I KNOW!" and "that doesn't make sense!" before you can actually get a complete sentence out. :glare:

Ack! That is the worst. I really had no idea that goes on in other homeschool families. Even better is the response to my critique of the work he 'knew' how to do....."but I didn't know I was supposed to do that!"

Edited by shanvan

I didn't see anyone list:

Stomping up the stairs as loudly as possible (really doing anything as loudly as possible, including slamming school books down on the table)

Slamming a door

The slouch and glare

"You never said that!" (This one makes me want to blow my stack.)

Edited by Onceuponatime

Stomping up the stairs as loudly as possible (really doing anything as loudly as possible, including slamming school books down on the table)

Slamming a door

The slouch and glare

Oh, these are good. How did I forget them? I feel the same way about "You never said that?"

I thought homeschooling was a guarantee that none of this would ever happen? At least, I thought I remember someone telling me that. And don't tell me my kid is getting it from being too immersed in the culture, or too much TV, or from all his friends, b/c none of that is happening here.

Edited by shanvan

Yeah, my kids' version is "That isn't what you said!" ...it makes me question MY sanity some days. They are also stubbornly resistant to understand the concept of paraphrasing, which makes me look like a liar when they try to correct me :glare:

Or asking for help with an assignment, only to be met with "I KNOW!" and "that doesn't make sense!" before you can actually get a complete sentence out. :glare:

I am getting twitchy just remembering this....If you knew it already....

THEN WHY DID YOU ASK FOR MY HELP!!!!

Or asking for help and then saying "No that's not right."

Am I the only person who is tempted to walk around with a pocket recorder when I am teaching my dd? Seriously...I know I explained it correctly.

(my dd tried to tell me that I told her that I and You were not pronouns!)

My oldest has been a pretty mild teenager but his exasperated 'MA! I know!' drives me seriously nuts. (He has never called me Ma before. It was Mommy then Mom)

Middle has just entered teenagedom but he has the sour 'I sucked a lemon' look and the muttering under his breath down pat. And NOTHING is ever HIS fault and I should really be mad at 'fill in the blank'. It's hard to describe the look of righteous indignation he gets when he's on a roll.

nope. Mine started this mess at age 2. It still is not any easier. In fact, it is much more irritating.

It IS very much a second toddlerhood, but with an expansive vocabulary and more expensive demands.

Slamming a door

The slouch and glare

What about "I never said that! What are you talking about? Why would I want to _________?!?". Ummmm . . . Because you told me YESTERDAY that you wanted to visit that friend, go on that trip, have X for dinner, etc . . .

What about the head shaking and utter look of disbelief that you don't recognize her for the font of wisdom she is?

What about "like" and "um" creeping into her vocabulary even though she's been homeschooled her whole life and knows better? I WISH I could lame this one on public high school, but she just entered for the last 4 months last year and she went in that way. :glare:

What about doing the bare minimum physical labor required to avoid getting yelled at and not one thing more?

What about how "You never listen to me!" REALLY means "You didn't say what I wanted to hear so clearly you weren't paying attention. If you just listened to me your answer would have been different."

How about "There's nothing to eat" said while staring at a full fridge, then a sigh that says "I'll just starve" and a retreat to her room. Rinse, repeat . . . You know kid, fix something to eat or ask me nicely to do it for you. This little game doesn't make me feel bad. In fact, I'm online IMing your father about it and we're placing bets on how many times you do this before you break down and et something.

And maybe this is just MY teen, but what is up with the inability to get along with more than one parent at a time? Usually, I annoy her, but this week she's upset with DH, so I get the sweeter version of her.

Yeah, my kids' version is "That isn't what you said!" ...it makes me question MY sanity some days. They are also stubbornly resistant to understand the concept of paraphrasing, which makes me look like a liar when they try to correct me :glare:

THIS ONE is killing me! I miss one detail in a paraphrased story and she goes "That never happened!" and refuses to clarify by adding the missing detail. Clearly I am a lying liar who LIES!

Diva insists on using 'aint' b/c she knows I loathe it. :glare:

My son does this because he thinks it's funny to "talk like a country kid.". However, it sounds so forced and unnatural when he says it that it's even more annoying than hearing ain't in casual conversation.

I jinxed myself. Not 20 minutes from posting on this thread, I had the sighs/huffing/you aren't listening to me/that's not what I said!/What are you stupid? look/and an incredulous stare. All from about 5 minutes of going over missed problems in a math lesson and assigning the next one. :glare:

HA! I got another one that has been in use around here for years but I forgot to mention it...

Blaming the book/video/website for problems in school (this curriculum is stupid and that teacher is stupid and it makes no sense) when the problem is the lack of effort from the teen.

My dd was in Saxon for years and blamed it for her math issues...then I switched programs....and Still Math is Horrible.

Could it be that you might have to WORK AT SOMETHING to understand it?