Menu

Step up from Little Bear/Frog and Toad books for 7yo?

Sue G in PA

Henry & Mudge was a huge hit around here. The same author has 3 or 4 series of easy-reader with chapters, that are a good bridge to actual chapters.

Those were a hit here, too! We also like the Boxcar Children which is slightly more dificult.

Nate the Great

Magic Tree House

A to Z Mysteries

Cam Jansen

I would not recommend Junie B. Jones. While ds was still in PS, his teacher highly recommended these books and sent them home for ds to read. When he read one aloud, I was aggravated. The kids call each other names and the writing is awful.

Edited by ErinE
Oops, spelling..

Little House Animal Adventure

Maybe any of the Thornton Burgess animal stories like Reddy Fox, etc. The chapters are very short, but I'm not sure how the vocab would be for your little girl. I have my dd read stuff like that, but I help her with any difficult words. The Aurthur Scott Bailey books are like Burgess, but you have to print them up at ManyBooks.net

My little girl is enjoying Fancy Nancy. They have them in the I Can Read type of books and even the level one has some challenging vocab.

My library separates out the "Step Into Reading" books (from Random House) into their own section. You may want to check out Levels 4 and 5. Level 4 is still a step up from Frog and Toad for difficulty, although the stories aren't divided into chapters. Some of these are mediocre (although more in the lower steps, honestly), some of them are so wonderful that Sonlight uses them as readers. For instance, my son has really loved Pompeii...Buried Alive! since he read it as part of Sonlight's Grade 2 Readers.

The first "true" chapter book my son read that year was Clyde Bulla's The Sword in the Tree, which was definitely a challenge for him, but which he managed. (I think it was the last book of the year for Sonlight, designed to show your child that they can do more than they think. They go easier again, for a while, in Grade 3 Readers the next year.)

These were a big hit for my new readers:

http://www.amazon.com/School-Days-Little-House-Chapter/dp/0064420493/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1345810497&sr=8-11&keywords=little+house+first+chapter+books

We received a slip-case containing 4 books for maybe $10 through a Scholastic book order form from my daughter's then preschool. Ours were read until the covers fell off and they got passed on to a friend. I'll definitely have to replace them for DD4.

Our library has a section entitled "Next-Step Chapter Books" which includes many options for readers of this level. Perhaps yours does as well?

Good luck. It is such an exciting time when your child is "launched" as an independent reader!

Thanks everyone! We have some Mercy Watson, Magic Treehouse, Bears on Hemlock Mountain, etc. I'll start her with some of those. And no...we don't do Judy B. Jones around here, either (for the same reasons). :tongue_smilie:

So glad to see I'm not alone. The teacher kept insisting they were good books and though I didn't argue, I couldn't imagine by what standard. My kids read twaddle for fun, but ugh...

So glad to see I'm not alone. The teacher kept insisting they were good books and though I didn't argue, I couldn't imagine by what standard. My kids read twaddle for fun, but ugh...

nope, not alone. i bought the audio cds cheap. after the first day listening, my kids and i had a chat about name calling and such. after the second day, their behavior was on the downslide. no more jbj for us!

nope, not alone. i bought the audio cds cheap. after the first day listening, my kids and i had a chat about name calling and such. after the second day, their behavior was on the downslide. no more jbj for us!

when DS in K, they use the book, I had a fight with the teacher. She argue that it taught then what "not" to say.. I was like ..:001_huh::glare::confused:

My DD5 just switched from Little Bear, Frog and Toad, etc. to Winnie the Pooh and The Wizard of Oz. She's heard both before, so it's not as big if a jump as it might otherwise have been, but having those under her belt should (hopefully!) make her comfortable with novel-length books (that she hasn't heard) in the future.