BakersDozen

12yo and in grade ?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. 12yo and in grade ?

• beginning 6th
    • 6th/7th
    • beginning 7th
    • future Einstein - 8th+

Just curious as to what grade your 12yo is in. My ds turned 12 end of June and is in 6th grade (with math he is half way through 6th; language arts he's a bit behind so just starting 6th). I feel he "should" be in 7th but honestly, there is no way this kid is ready for 7th grade. Yet I lay awake at night wondering if I should push him faster and have him "catch up" to where it seems most 12yos are.

DD turned 12 in February and will be moving into seventh grade work this fall. That's the beauty of homeschooling though, to let them work and have success at the level where they are. Individualized instruction you wouldn't be able to match in a large classroom where they'd either push them into 7th and probably struggle, or keep them back in 6th, where part of it would be boring review.

Erica in OR

If you call this year 7th, then in two years you will be starting high school with him. If you call it 6th, you have three years to be ready for high school.

I'd work at the pace needed by your child in each subject and worry about the grade designation later, paying attention to the onset of high school and being flexible about starting that in 2 years or 3 years.

Good luck!

I didn't vote. It is irrelevant IMHO. I personally believe the focus should be on ability/skills/maturity instead of age. I have had an older 11 yr old start 7th. I also have a dd that turn 12 right before starting 6th. Is one right and the other wrong? Seems like a bogus question. The one that will be 12 going into 6th has "mentally matured" at a very slow pace compared to the norm. However, she is completely on target for the norms for the lower grade level. If I had focused strictly on age vs. her personal needs, she would have been consistently below avg for grade level----not a place I would want a student to perceive themselves as always being. I would much rather have a student perceive their strengths and successes.

As with most things academic, it depends on the child. EK turned 13yo a few weeks after school started her 7th grade year. I tried to start her in Kindergarten when she was 4-almost-5, thinking that she would be fine because she would turn 5 just after the school year began. It took her 3 years to do Kindergarten + 1st grade, and in the end, she was just where she would've been if I had waited a year to start K anyway.

ER turned 12yo in the summer before his 7th grade year. He was much more ready for learning at a much younger age than EK was. He was one of those rare boys who was young for his grade but did just fine with it. I say rare because it is well-known in educational circles that boys with spring or summer birthdays are often too immature to do well if they start K when they've just turned 5. At the local private school, the pre-school teachers routinely recommend that a boy born in March-August be kept back a year so that he starts K when he has just turned 6.

On paper, a child whose bday is in the summer would be entering 7th grade in the fall. I would have no problems saying that a child was "in" "7th grade," even if in some academic areas he wasn't quite there.

"Grade level" has nothing to do with maturity, not even with academics, when you're homeschooling.

He has five more years of study at home. Surely, by the time he's 17 he'll be where he needs to be.

My ds started 7th grade at barely 12yo. I struggle with wishing I would've held him back in kindergarten. He can do the work, but he could use some more maturity. Also, I wouldn't mind another year with him. There are many children your ds age that are in 6th grade. I wouldn't rush it.:001_smile:

My ds will be 12 in October and he will be going in to 6th this September. Although, he is beyond 6th in some of his work.

Don't stress :001_smile: I also agree that you should not worry about focusing on the paper grade level. Over the next few years I am sure you will be able to get him up to speed to where he needs to be.

Depends on the child:

Eldest son: 12 when starting 7th (January birthday)

Eldest daughter: 11 when starting 7th (December birthday)

#2 son: 12 when starting 7th (July birthday)

#3 son: 13 when starting 7th (July birthday)

#2 daughter: 12 when starting 7th (February birthday)

#4 son: will be 13 when starting 7th (August birthday)

My ds will be 12 in October and he will be going in to 6th this September. Although, he is beyond 6th in some of his work.

Don't stress :001_smile: I also agree that you should not worry about focusing on the paper grade level. Over the next few years I am sure you will be able to get him up to speed to where he needs to be.

:iagree: My dd will be 12 in the fall and she's in 6th.

Just let him go at his own pace, I wouldn't worry about it at all. :001_smile:

I didn't vote, my oldest was starting 7th when he was 12 (May bday) My dd is going to be turning 12 the November after she starts 5th. This is because of reading delays so she's asked to redo 4th grade this year (she turns 11 this year)

I agree that the beauty of homeschooling is that kids can be where they are at and grow at their own rate.

My two summer babies started 6th grade at 12yo. One of them went to college on a full scholarship this fall, and one just started 7th grade at 13yo. I have no regrets and would do it the same way if I had a do-over. Having the time to mature is a good thing IMO.

My two summer babies started 6th grade at 12yo. One of them went to college on a full scholarship this fall, and one just started 7th grade at 13yo. I have no regrets and would do it the same way if I had a do-over. Having the time to mature is a good thing IMO.

Whew, thank you!

I don't know why it hit me so hard that ds is 12yo and "only" in 6th (aside from the 12yo thread). I hate these feelings of panic, of wondering if I'm failing my dc by not having them where they could/should be.

12 years old.

My first started high school work at 12.

The second did 8th grade at 12.

My fall baby started 6th grade with her age peers and turned 12 that Sept.

My summer baby started 6th grade after she turned 12 in June.

My 5th is in 7th grade this year and turns 11 in October.

Each one has matured at different rates, but I've chosen to graduate each one at 18, regardless. I just take the last 4 years they are home, and call it High School. But I get your worry; I have pangs myself. The natural academics are easier on the nerves :tongue_smilie:

My ds turned 12 right after starting 6th grade. We simply use the grade levels he started in prek and K (not homeschooled). It's easier, even though his abilities ranged about 5 grade levels.

He'll turn 15 soon and we just started 9th. I still have some unease about it from time to time, but it's the perfect scenario for him. We briefly considered combining his 7th/8th grade year, but as it stood we moved during 7th grade and it was chaos for the entire year and the summer afterward. We never did fully recover so it was nice to not have the pressure.

He was placed correctly according to our district as their cut offs were in July. He's always been the oldest in a class and it works for us.

On paper, a child whose bday is in the summer would be entering 7th grade in the fall. I would have no problems saying that a child was "in" "7th grade," even if in some academic areas he wasn't quite there.

"Grade level" has nothing to do with maturity, not even with academics, when you're homeschooling.

He has five more years of study at home. Surely, by the time he's 17 he'll be where he needs to be.

What about states that require testing? If child were labeled 7th grade, all testing would have to be 7th grade testing. While from your perspective it may not be a problem, it could place undue stress on the child required to take the testing and feeling overwhelmed, under-prepared, and poorly about themselves after the test. Labeled grade levels do not matter as much when a child is performing at or above grade level. But below grade level.......yes, it can matter.

What about a child that at 17 would be an academically strong 11th grader that would be a weak applicant course-wise if they were a 12th grader, but a strong applicant the following yr as a 12th grader if they had an extra yr of high school courses to put on their transcript? It could make the difference between acceptance/rejection and scholarships/no scholarships.