Menu

Must change curriculum last minute- PANICKING!

Mrs. Lilac

I was being brilliant and saving us oodles of money by getting downloadable curriculum.....until now, 2 weeks before we're supposed to start, and I CANNOT afford to print all this stuff!

I have Math Mammoth for all 3 kids, which I can make work black and white printing.....but we were going to do Expedition Earth for geography, and to print that in color is going to kill me. Is there something consumable for geography/cultures that I can substitute?

I swear to buy only workbooks from now on! :sad::sad:

EEK! :confused:

Is that Expedition Earth from Confessions of a Homeschooler? You could just print it in b&w (I know, not as pretty), only print the lapbook bits, and read the text bits off of an e-reader or computer of some kind. Lapbooks that don't offer a b&w option really cheese me off. :D

Or is it the Expedition Earth from Knowledge Quest? In which case, again, I would be selective about what I was going to print, and print in b&w or very selectively in color, but only things the kids need to fill out. Read the rest from a digital device.

As for the Math Mammoth---the pdfs can be annotated, so the kids can do them on the computer, then you can just print a few pages for portfolios instead of the whole thing. Or have them do the problems on a slate or portable dry-erase board. Or in a spiral notebook. Be creative. And it will be fine. :001_smile:

I bought the Complete Book of Geography and Maps from Amazon for my 3rd graders. It's for 3rd through 6th graders, but more than one reviewer said they used it for a five year old. It got pretty good reviews, was inexpensive, and we are liking it so far.

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Book-Maps-Geography-Grades/dp/0769685595

:iagree:...I have this too and I think we'll be using that this year.

That is my problem as well. I love PDF/Downloads. It's instant satisfaction. I have it. I don't have to worry about shipping. I can use it for more than one child. Great.

Then comes time to use it. I hate printing it out as I normally don't bulk print. I should just sit down and print a bunch at once, but I never do. Once one adds in the cost of ink/paper, it is probably more than buying a hard copy of the book. Normally PDFs/Downloads are slightly less expensive if not the same price as the hard copies.

I know if I use it for multiple children I will get my money's worth out of it; however, printed, "in-your-hand" copies are so convenient. Sometimes I become frustrated at printing that I don't keep using it, so I don't save any money in the end.

I bought the Complete Book of Geography and Maps from Amazon for my 3rd graders. It's for 3rd through 6th graders, but more than one reviewer said they used it for a five year old. It got pretty good reviews, was inexpensive, and we are liking it so far.

I have used this with three children. I recommend it also.

:iagree:

I use this with two of my kids, and I think it is a great workbook. It is $10.11 on Amazon currently.

Watch for a really good sale on a Brother laser printer. If you don't need all the bells and whistles and check reviews first... You can do pretty well. Now even my color pages are less than two cents per page. I am not sorry that I did without a few other things and lost the inkjet! At the rate that I was going through ink, this thing will pay for itself!

And check the MM site. I think if you have a tablet of any type, the worksheets can be fill able by stylus directly on the tablet without printing...

I was being brilliant and saving us oodles of money by getting downloadable curriculum.....until now, 2 weeks before we're supposed to start, and I CANNOT afford to print all this stuff!

I have Math Mammoth for all 3 kids, which I can make work black and white printing.....but we were going to do Expedition Earth for geography, and to print that in color is going to kill me. Is there something consumable for geography/cultures that I can substitute?

I swear to buy only workbooks from now on! :sad::sad:

EEK! :confused:

Can't you view the Expedition Earth on your computer? And just print the pages your kids need for the activities?

There are some amazing deals on Brother Laser printers right now. I know Staples has an all in one for $99. Between sale paper and the ink being so cheap, it cost me less than $5 to duplex print Elemental Science's 260 page student book.

Adding I also printed Math Mammoth b&w with it, and it cost me practically nothing. I'm going to go have it spiral bound, too. :)

Oh Lively Latin too. And I bought it used for $15 so I figure the 800 pages or so for 2 kids will be under $20. Not bad!

Edited by truebluexf

There are some amazing deals on Brother Laser printers right now. I know Staples has an all in one for $99.

I had $100 budgeted for printing and I'm going to buy this instead. SO much cheaper!!!

ETA: Wait, The $99 one I found only prints black and white. Does anyone have a suggestion for one that also print in color and at a really good price?

Edited by MiniBlondes

Do you need to print it all at once? Can you print just what you need this week or for the first month? Would it help your budget to spread out the printing?

We are using Expedition Earth as well and :iagree: this is what I'm doing. It does make a BIG difference on the upfront cost.

I had $100 budgeted for printing and I'm going to buy this instead. SO much cheaper!!!

ETA: Wait, The $99 one I found only prints black and white. Does anyone have a suggestion for one that also print in color and at a really good price?

The color ones all look really pricey. :tongue_smilie: I've opted to forgo color.

This isn't a bad deal though. http://www.staples.com/Brother-Refurbished-EHL-3070CW-Digital-Color-Printer/product-nr_322268

No auto duplex or photocopies, but it does print color.

Adding: I'm just figuring when things NEED to be in color, I will outsource those pages to Officemax or DH's work or something!

Edited by truebluexf

My main printer died. I'm going old school in a big way. I started homeschooling when many home printers still printed on rolls of paper instead of individual pages LOL. This isn't new to me.

I'm still scrambling to get things together, but it's getting there.

I'm switching back to Saxon for math, with How to Tutor and Professor B for those needing work before Saxon 54.

How to Tutor and Spalding's WRTR 6th edition give handwriting instructions that don't require workbooks or printouts.

Climbing to Good English workbooks are cheap. How to Tutor includes the entire Alpha Phonics curriculum. You copy lessons onto a whiteboard for the student to copy. We'll be reading McGuffey's off the kindle until I can buy hardcopies. The model sentences from Mark Twain Diagramming Sentences $1.99 are being used for sentence composition, not diagramming, so no need to print. Just write one sentence model on the whiteboard.

Not super cheap, at $30.00 a book, but Bedell is a stand alone read aloud Science and Social Studies and Bible curriculum. The 9th volume still hasn't been published yet. The curriculum is supposed to be cycled through every 3 years. If you need output you can write some of the bolded sentences on a whiteboard for copywork.

Have you read the continent blob thread going on now?

Evan Moore science sells the big book for $29.99, but sells just the student pages for much less. I just have the students do copywork from the main workbook.

Edited by Hunter

Just don't buy any PDFs that you HAVE to print in color.

I bought a $200 Canon duplex black and white printer for $80 after coupon and rebate from Staples. I buy $10 toner refills from Amazon. I buy paper anywhere from free to $1 after rebate at Staples or buy a small case for $15 at Sam's Club. I recycle my toner at Staples for $2 each in Staples Rewards.

It all works for me.

We just finished Evan-Moor Beginning Geography. Loved it!

Would it really be cheaper to buy brand new books then to purchase a printer and paper?

Sometimes, especially if you are looking ahead, and plan to start a series that you hope to continue for a few years. There comes that moment of, "What have I done?!" and you realize you are on the wrong road.

Edited by Hunter