Menu

6th grade thread?

I haven't seen a 6th grade thread. I'm counting this year as 6th grade for my dd who will be 12 in November. I made a lot of last minute decisions, not exactly what I thought we'd be doing but here it is.

Math- MUS Pre-Algebra, HoE, LoF

Grammar- KISS

Writing- IEW SWI with Co-op

Spelling- R&S Spelling 7

Poetry- The Art of Poetry

Formal Literature- Progeny Press Guides; Island of Blue Dolphins, The Hiding Place and Number the Stars.

Bible- Apologia Who Am I? Plus some Memorization work

History- ETA: Plans have changed.. I decided I could not just wing it and bought Memoria Press Famous Men of the Middle Ages and Modern Times. She'll still read some books of the list and do notebooking and a timeline.

Geography/Art- Mapping the World with Art, Sheppard Software

Science- Creek Edge Press Chemistry/Great Scientist Task Cards (beefed up assignments), Milestones in Science & Chem 300 Experiment Kits.

Latin- Third Form Latin

Art- Meet the Masters

Music-Clarinet Lessons and Recitals, Informal Composer Study

Logic- Fallacy Detective and The Thinking Toolbox

Extra Curricular- Youth Group, Cheerleading Team, Dance Classes and Gymnastics

Edited by Momma_Bear

Math: Mathematical Reasoning (Critical Thinking Company), Hands On Geometry (Lakeshore Learning Center), Algebra (BJU Press)

Grammar: English 6 for Young Catholics, CLE Extra Practice Diagramming

Composition: Winning with Writing 2, Beginning Outlining (Remedia)

Handwriting: Classically Cursive Attributes of God

Spelling: Spectrum Spelling 6

Literature/Reading: Evan Moor Tall Tales, MCP Comprehension Plus B, Illustrated Poems for Children by Stasiak, misc. books at the 6th grade reading level

Vocabulary: Garfield Vocabulary Escapades for Middle School

US History: A Child's Story of America

Memory Work: Declaration of Independence

Map Skills: Maps Charts Graphs

Ancient History: Evan Moor history pockets on Ancient Civilizations, Ancient Egypt, Ancient Greece, Ancient Rome

Health: Abeka Choosing Good Health

Science: MPH (Singapore) Interactions and Systems

Latin: Cambridge 1

Fine Arts: Art Fraud Detective, Mark Kistler Online Academy, Piano, Mozart unit study

Bible: Notgrass Draw to Learn the Life of Jesus

I'll bite. My rising 6th grader is set to do

Math- Key to Algebra, LoF Pre-Algebra with Biology, ALEKS

Grammar- Grammar Voyage

Writing- Paragraph Town (yes, I know we are out of sync, but we didn't finish it last year), Essay Voyage, Spilling Ink

Poetry- A World of Poetry

Formal Literature- Junior Great Books, Discovering King Arthur

History- The World in Ancient Times, Kingfisher History, One World, Many Religions

Geography/Art- Mapping the World with Art, Sheppard Software

Science- Earth Science Daybook, The Story of Science, Discovering Science and Medicine: Epidemiology,Disease, and Outbreak

Latin- Minimus Secundus

Spanish- Mango

Art- Drawing lessons

Music-Piano and Youth Choir

Logic and Philosophy- Logic and the Art of Argument, Big Questions (classes)

Extra Curricular- Homeschool PE, Roots and Shoots, Public Speaking, Improv and possibly Odyssey of the Mind

And yes, I accept that much of this will not happen as I envision it.

Rough draft. Lol. I still haven't ordered and we won't start until the second week of September.

Math: Math Mammoth 6 (first semester), Jacob's Elementary Algebra (second semester) - we are playing this by ear for a bit; we won't let her start algebra if my husband feels she isn't mature enough/has the critical thinking skills necessary

History: Human Odyssey volume 1, Horrible Histories

Grammar: English 6 for Young Catholics

Science: Behold and See 6, TOPS Physics units, The Brain (Ellen McHenry), Horrible Sciences, Conceptual Physical Science, Snap Circuits

Logic: Fallacy Detective

Vocabulary: Caesar's English I (Classical Edition)

Art: Calvert Art Course - Sculpture of Painting (not sure which one yet)

Memory work: Living Memory (Andrew Campbell)

Religion: A Year With God, St. Joseph's Baltimore Catechism 2, Friendly Defenders

Mandatory Literature: Anne of Green Gables, Fever 1793, The Giver

Extra Curricular: Ballet Intermediate at local studio

Notice the lack of a writing curriculum? Yeah. Me too. I can't find one that works well with the dyslexic child who HATES to write. Bah humbug.

Edited by AimeeM

My 6th grader is the kid who wants to study everything. We've started math and vocab and he keeps asking about learning the most random things. I'm sure I'll be adding to this over the next month or two, but when we formally start in the first week of September, he'll be doing:

Math: AoPS Pre-algebra

Science: I'm still not sure on this. If I can't find anything else, he'll do Derek Owens Physical Science along with his older brother.

History: K12 Human Odyssey

English: Grammar, Practice and Essay Voyage

Caesar's English 1&2

Lightning Literature 8 (without the writing assignments)

IEW Ancient History Based Writing, then The Elegant Essay

He also plays competitive hockey 8-10 hours per week and will play travel baseball in the fall and spring, along with piano and cello lessons.

My 6th grade plans for ds:

Math: finish Saxon 7/6 and then move to 8/7

History, Literature, Geography and Art: Tapestry of Grace Year 2

Grammar: Rod & Staff English 6

Writing: Killgallon, Writing with Skill

Science: BJU Science 6, plus we are going to be working through some Tiner science books

Logic: Art of Argument

Spelling: not sure if we will continue formal study, probably switch to vocabulary study

Religion: Rod and Staff

Latin: Latina Christina (we have not studied it all before)

And if we have time :glare: I would like to slowly add the new government curriculum from Notgrass

Extracurriculars: drum lessons, flag football team, basketball team, tennis team and possibly chess lessons

Edited by danybug
typo

My plans have changed a lot over the spring/summer.

Math:

Systematic Mathematics 6

Grammar:

Daily Grammar Practice 5

Writing:

Understanding Writing

Lit:

Teaching the Classics style

Vocab:

Caesar's English I

Science:

HoD's Rev2Rev picks for Physics

History:

HoD's Rev2Rev picks for Early Modern period

Spanish:

La Clase III

Art:

Mark Kistler

Music:

Piano

Phy Ed:

TKD

Math- TT 7

Grammar- GWG 6

Writing- WWW 6

Spelling- I make our own

Literature- Sonlight Core F

History- Sonlight Core F

Art - Co-op

Science- Sonlight plus Apologia Swimming Creatures. And WP Equine Science on her own time.

Latin- continue with Rosetta Stone

Extra Curricular- Drama and PE at co-op

I did not know about this! I think I'm going to use it alongside American history in 7th and 8th grade. It looks great! Thanks. :001_smile:

They sent me an email and I downloaded the free sample. I think it is perfect to add in to help grow a better understanding of our government. The free samples were great!

Here's what we're using for 6th grade:

History, Geography, Science, Biographies, general Language Arts, Literature, Poetry, Artist Study, & Composer Study- Ambleside Online Year 4

Math- Saxon 7/6

Grammar- Simply Grammar

Spelling- Spelling Skills 5 & 6

Vocabulary- Wordly Wise 6

Government- Various books

Current Events- CNN Student News, Channel One News (online)

Art- Artistic Pursuits JH Book 1

Nature Study- Handbook of Nature Study blog: Outdoor Hour Challenge

Spanish- Getting Started with Spanish

Music- Youth Choir (1.5 hrs on Saturday)

Catechism- CCD 6th grade (1hr on Sundays)

Edited by Abkjw01

Our plan for Year 6!

Religion6th year CCF Sundays. Christian Studies IV Mem Press and Baltimore Catechism

Latin First Form Memoria Press

Maths MEP (finish 3 months of Y5 and move to Y6)

English Rod & Staff English 6 and Intermediate Language Lessons by Emma Serl

Spelling Rod & Staff Spelling 7

Composition Fable Stage Mem Press for 6 or 7 lessons and then Narrative stage, a

HistoryGreek Mythology & Famous Men of Greece (MP)

ScienceAstronomy workbook from MP and then Insects MP

Literature The Trojan War, Anne of Green Gables, The Hobbit, Horatius at the Bridge

Modern History American Studies from MP 6th Year - Grueber

My plan for my ds11

Language Arts: Word Roots (Critical Thinking Co.), Igniting Your Writing, and some Brave Writer Lifestyle

Literature: Our homemade Narnia study. Some historical fiction to go with history. Lots of free reading (he's a definite bookworm)

Math: Teaching Textbooks

History: Once weekly readings from K12's Human Odyssey, vol. 1, and The Story of Science, with either a timeline or Book of Centuries. The rest of the week, interest-led, with vintage books, historical fiction, documentaries, movies, hands-on, etc.

Science: Once weekly readings based on BFSU. The rest of the time we'll be trying out Elemental Science Logic Stage Biology. Documentaries, various experiments, etc., to round it all out.

Logic/philosophy: Harry Stottlemeier's Discovery

Geography: Richard Halliburton's Complete Book of Marvels; maybe some Map Trek to go with K12's Human Odyssey.

The Arts: weekly art lesson/project time. Monthly studies of composers and artists. Lots of various resources for this category!

Extracurricular: piano lessons. Cross country this fall, then track & field in the spring. He'll also be studying for the National Mythology Exam this year!

Edited by momto2Cs

Two weeks into our first year of homeschooling:

Math: Math Mammoth & LOF

Literature: Narnia, Sign of the Beaver, Number the Stars, H. C. Andersen Fairy Tales. National Mythology Exam. MCT Poetry & Figuratively Speaking.

Grammar: Rod and Staff

Writing: Remain indecisive about WWS. Used Write Source and Remedia's Outlining Workbook so far.

Vocab: Caesar's English.

Spelling: Spelling Workout.

History: K12 Human Odyssey. Once we get a groove going with K12, I hope to shift to two strands of history (world and American).

Science: Cambridge International Year 7 with LOTS of supplements (including Ellen McHenry's Cells and Elements)

Foreign Language: Danish. Currently playing around with Greek but may go back to Spanish.

Logic: Prufrock Press

Music: Piano

Art: Drawing

Still tweaking our schedule.

Oak Meadow 6 (for English, Social Studies, Science)

Sentence Composing for Middle School

Story of the World 2

Teaching Textbooks 6 (math)

Meet the Masters (art)

Grid Perplexor Puzzles

Continuing with Getting Started With Spanish (maybe, if we get to it)

Ongoing judo classes for PE

Ongoing guitar lessons for music

Plenty of reading, both independently and read alouds

Plenty of outings and field trips.

We're on our second "half" of 6th grade this year. For various reasons, I decided I wanted to stretch 6th grade out over a two year period. We did the first half of it last year and will be completing it this year.

Here's ours... My ds is accelerated in math, reads on grade level, and is behind in spelling/writing.

Algebra 1 - finish up AoPS Intro to Algebra, then I have no idea... Maybe AoPS Number Theory? :D

Spelling - LOE (been doing this over of the summer and will continue until we finish)

Composition - WWS (probably just half this year)

Grammar - WP LA 6 workbooks (he's a huge Star Trek fan, so when he saw this, he begged to use it. He also gets grammar from LOE.)

History and Literature - K12's Human Odyssey and Classical House of Learning logic stage ancients schedule. He'll tag along with his brother's SOTW activities. I expect plenty of reenactments of ancient battles. ("It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye...")

Science - Exploration Education (intermediate)

PE - Speedskating and more speedskating!

Other than that, we'll do the usual fun extras-- park days, field trips, Boy Scouts, Horrible Histories videos, Make magazine projects, backyard hole digging, toad wrangling and a variety of treehouse contraptions that may or may not work. It's all good.

Hey sailmom, what about AoPS Coubting and Probability? Dd12's going to be doing that one day a week while she finishes up AoPS Intro to Algebra, then doing C&P full-time. She wants to start Number Theory before the end of the school year...

I figured we'd do C&P then Number Theory, but he really wants to do NT first. I think he's convinced NT will be more interesting. :D

Here's ours:

Math: finishing LOF Fractions that he worked on this summer, then Singapore 6

Grammar: R&S 6

Spelling: AAS5

Writing: WWE

History: TOG Year 3

Bible: God's Great Covenant (unless I can find something better!)

Latin: Getting Started with Latin

Science: taking a Geology class at a co-op

We just started. We are using:

Bible--OT plus Children's Field Guide/AWANAs

History--Homegrown Ancients

Math--TT/MM

Language Arts--LLATL Tan/WWS

Science--SL Science E (Electricity, Magnetism and Astronomy)

Geography--SL Core F (First half)

Fine Arts--I Can Do all Things/Homegrown Composer and Artist studies

Extracurricular--Music Theater, Basketball, Middle School Youth Worship Team

Still up in the air about how to approach math, but these are the basics.

Math: Singapore 6 with CWP and possibly LOF pre algegbra done concurrently

Grammar: GWG 6

Writing: WWW 6

Logic: Orbiting with logic then?

History: SOTW 3 with added literature

Science: NOEO Chemistry 2

Literature: Various books with free guides from the web, Figuratively Speaking and Outlining

Latin: Getting Started with Latin

Vocab: Vocabulary Connections

Art: Artpacs

Music: Composer study plus extracurriculars

Extracurriculars: Band, clarinet, piano (he loves music), soccer, baseball and 4H.

Yikes that looks like a lot. We don't start until Monday the 27th. We'll have to see how it all pans out.

Here is ours:

Math- TT and MM

Grammar- Hake

Writing- Creative Writer

Spelling- AAS

Literature- Glencoe Literature, Figuratively Speaking and some self selected books

Vocabulary- Words on the Vine

History- Story of Science and SOTW2

Science- CPO Earth Science

French- SYRWTL French

Art- Meet the Masters and Mark Kistler

Nature Study- The Nature Connection

Sailmom, how do you like LoE? I'm assuming it's good enough that you're continuing, but are you loving it?

Yes!! It's definitely working for my 11 year old! He reads on grade level, but couldn't spell or write at all. He's just not a visual learner, so other spelling methods weren't working for him. LOE seems to work really well, and his confidence has boomed since he's been passing every spelling test with flying colors. Sometimes, I forget the phonograms or rules, and he'll remind me, so there's something about it that just clicks with him.

When we're done with it, maybe I'll pull out Spelling Power and we'll start working through that, because he should have the phonograms and rules down well enough.

I have a few minor nitpicks that prevented me from using it as a phonics program for my 1st grader, but for an older kid that can't spell, it's been golden.

Math - Finish Saxon 76 & LOF Decimals, then...?

Grammar - R&S 6

Writing - co-op class

Spelling - R&S Spelling 6 or 7

Literature - ancient history & mythology

History - K12 Human Odyssey + World Map Skills workbook

Geography - Maps Charts Graphs F

Science - co-op class + TOPS Pendulums + Lego robotics + physics kits & reading

Spanish - co-op class

Music - piano lessons + co-op class

Yes!! It's definitely working for my 11 year old! He reads on grade level, but couldn't spell or write at all. He's just not a visual learner, so other spelling methods weren't working for him. LOE seems to work really well, and his confidence has boomed since he's been passing every spelling test with flying colors. Sometimes, I forget the phonograms or rules, and he'll remind me, so there's something about it that just clicks with him.

When we're done with it, maybe I'll pull out Spelling Power and we'll start working through that, because he should have the phonograms and rules down well enough.

I have a few minor nitpicks that prevented me from using it as a phonics program for my 1st grader, but for an older kid that can't spell, it's been golden.

Thanks! My 11yo had CAPD and she's never really learned how to spell. For the past 1.5 yrs we've been focusing on therapy and remediation of Reading and Math only. She's finally catching up, so Spelling is our next thing. I like AAS, but I think it'd be too slow and she thinks it'd be to "babyish". LoE really seems to fit the bill kwim.

Lots of busy kids! This is 6th grade part B for us. Ds is enrolled in our local PPP and has been since first grade- he loves it. But he started a year early and we decided that this would be a good year to get him "back on track" with his birthday. This is allowing him the option of choosing some of what we study this year, which will hopefully put some fun back into things.

Math: Kumon, Teaching Textbooks (finish Math 7, begin Pre-Algebra), Critical Thinking Skills (various sources)

Language Arts: Public Speaking (PPP), Novel Writing (PPP- they are using the NaNoWriMo program), Wordsmith Apprentice, Lit Study Guides (currently doing Progeny's The Hobbit), MCP Phonics (review & covering some glossed over things), Accelerated Reader (thru PPP), and any number of things I have laying around as time permits. And of course, reading (read-alouds, quiet reading and oral reading). This is not as bad as it looks. Most of these items only take a few minutes each day and we're only doing one lit guide per quarter. The novel will monopolize his LA for most of the first semester. This is his third time doing it, so I know!

Unit Study: per ds' request these will be: The History of Lego (also doing Master Builder Academy), Architecture, Genetics, Survival Skills w/plants of the NW region. I'm also throwing in a short US Geography unit cuz the kid knows where Greece is but can't find Utah!

The Arts: Art in 3D (PPP), Technology Projects (PPP)

World Languages: Rosetta Stone Latin American Spanish and maybe a little ASL thrown in later in the year

Health/Fitness: Don't have much planned, but will be working on building strength, coordination and a better diet

Here's hoping for a great year for everyone!

Ok I haven't read through all of this thread yet, but maybe I will find my curricula buddy here :D

Here is our 6th grade line up:

Math: Finish up Saxon 7/6 and start 8/7 by Christmas.

Writing: IEW SWI-B on-line class until January. Then IEW Medieval Based History lessons for balance of the year.

Grammar: Hake 7 Grammar & Writing

Religion: Faith & Life (online course) + Baltimore Catechism #2 + Friendly Defenders cards

History: VP MARR self-paced online + SOTW2 + DK History of the World (outlining, extra research, etc as per TWTM recos)

Literature: following the VP level 2 literature list for MARR

Latin: Prima Latina - yes, I realize this is meant for the younger grades but the younger 2 are doing this & it just makes it easier + Ludere Latine

Music Appreciation: An Illustrated History of Music for Young Musicians: The Middle Ages + Classical Kids composer biographies on DVD

Art Appreciation: Usborne Book of Famous Paintings, Usborne Famous Painting flash cards, various artist biographies

Logic: Critical Thinking 1

Science: keeping it light this year & reading lots of Horrible Science books + anything else that he feels like doing.

Spelling: Spelling Workout F (may drop this)

Extracurricular: piano, hockey, swimming, indoor soccer, baseball off-season training

Edited by CanadianMumof4