Menu

Getting Excited

Wolf went and saw the house we're moving into yesterday.

3 bdrms up, technically 3 bdrms down (one is really small, and used for storage rather than a bedroom) gas fireplace in the basement, apparently the kitchen is open design, wood cabinets (no beaver puke) backyard is snake proofed (the park we're moving to has rattlesnakes :001_huh:) has a gazebo, fire pit...

Wolf's going to take me to see it this wknd. We're thinking that the rec room in the basement is going to be a playroom, and turn the garage into a den.

Finally going to have a house that's big enough for us! w00t!!!

Even more exciting (or at least adding to it) when we go to pick up our new vehicle (supposed to be Mon), we're hitting a hs store...AND a Home Depot, looking for mis-tints.

I've *never* painted. E.V.E.R. Never picked paint. I'm so looking forward to having a house done the way I want!

Course, I'll prob be begging for help here, since I've never done it.

Wolf's doing the actual painting, since I can't, and he spent a yr or so working for Student Painters, so he actually knows how to do a pro job, but I've no flipping clue as to picking the 'right' colours.

Anyone wants to chime in w/advice, I'd appreciate it!

I'm thinking a darker green for our bedroom, or blue. I'm leaning towards darker colours b/c I'm thinking restful, not energetic. Then again, I've no clue if that's actually how it works! :lol: Tazzie and Boo, a shade of blue...Princess, thinking pink or a light purple...Diva gets to pick her own, but I'll be steering her away from anything jarring.

suggestion and tips most welcome!

I guess in my head, light=bright.

I know Wolf doesn't want 'girly' colours in our room, and I don't want overly masculine, so trying to figure out a compromise.

I love blues, greens, wines, etc. Doesn't mean I want them on my walls though :lol: Loathe orange, brown, anything neon.

Strong contrasts aren't good, b/c for some reason or another, it eggs on migraines in me. For example, the diner style black and white, or red and white tile I've seen in some kitchens would have me sicker than a dog.

I've always wanted a yellow kitchen *blush* Like, almost white yellow. Something airy, bright, but not eye watering startling bright...I can't stand dark colours in a kitchen. I know it's popular, but it makes me feel claustrophobic, and I spend way too much time in the kitchen. I want something that is energizing for the kitchen. It tends to be where we hs, plus the usual living.

I agree to not do dark colors. When you look at paint chips, there is usually 4 or 5 colors on one. They are just different shades of each other. So find the green or blue that you like, even if it's dark, and then go down the paint chip and buy one that is 2-3 shades lighter. Paint always turns out darker on the wall than on the paint chip. Then buy bedding, pillows, etc that is the darker shade to accent. But remember blue and green are soothing colors by themselves, they don't have to be dark. I wouldn't go for pastel shades, but I'd definitely use a lighter shade.

I think pale yellow is a great choice for a kitchen. When we owned a house my kitchen was yellow. I loved it!

Have lots of fun choosing colors! I wish I owned a house so I could paint.

We have a butter yellow on our kitchen walls and it's a good shade. Also, think about doing shades like sage green, dusty rose, smoke blue... colors that are not "bright" but not too dark.

One thing I have to ask... you're staying in Canada, right? They have rattlesnakes in Canada?!? (There goes my dream of moving north to avoid all slippery, slithery things, LOL...)

We have a butter yellow on our kitchen walls and it's a good shade. Also, think about doing shades like sage green, dusty rose, smoke blue... colors that are not "bright" but not too dark.

One thing I have to ask... you're staying in Canada, right? They have rattlesnakes in Canada?!? (There goes my dream of moving north to avoid all slippery, slithery things, LOL...)

Typically, no there isn't rattlesnakes. Just in this particular area. In fact, I think it may be the *only* place in Canada that has them :glare:

this is the 'Badlands'

http://www.canadianbadlands.com/cbl/index.jsp

We have a super pale yellow kitchen, we just changed it from green. I love the yellow kitchen. We also went for bold colors for the living area. Our living room is a bold turquoise blue, I love it, it energizes the room, which is nice. The kids playroom is a slightly deeper blue which I like as well.

We let my 3 year old pick her bedroom colors and she went with pale pink with a slightly deeper purple accent for the doors, and baseboard, it looks really cute and nice. My 5 year old wants green and blue, which I think works well for a boy's room, we'll redo his room in a few months in those colors for him and DS2.

I like more muted colors in bedrooms since it is a restful area and more bold colors for living areas, it works well for us.

I agree to not do dark colors. When you look at paint chips, there is usually 4 or 5 colors on one. They are just different shades of each other. So find the green or blue that you like, even if it's dark, and then go down the paint chip and buy one that is 2-3 shades lighter. Paint always turns out darker on the wall than on the paint chip. Then buy bedding, pillows, etc that is the darker shade to accent. But remember blue and green are soothing colors by themselves, they don't have to be dark. I wouldn't go for pastel shades, but I'd definitely use a lighter shade.

I think pale yellow is a great choice for a kitchen. When we owned a house my kitchen was yellow. I loved it!

Have lots of fun choosing colors! I wish I owned a house so I could paint.

As far as color choices go...wait till you see the actual room. If it is a small room, you definitely should go with lighter colors otherwise it's just depressing and looks even smaller. If you have a rectangular room that you want to emphasize, you could pick 2 colors (1 color on the longer walls, and 1 color on the shorter)...and so on. Lighter colors, especially if they are that muted/dusty shade, are very restful and peaceful!

Do you have a video camera? Taking a video of the house (if not that, then good pictures from every angle) will help you remember things while you are at the store. You may even want to take measurements so that you can lay out the furniture on paper and play around with it before you get in.

That was one thing that I loved about my rental home I just moved into: all the bedrooms were painted non-beige colors! :)

:iagree::iagree::iagree: I would have written all this, but these wonderful women did it for me!!!!! Print these answers out and carry them with you to home depot.

The Martha Stewart colors are divine there -- use them and love them -- or use them in the common rooms and something less expensive in the bedrooms, but her colors are fabulous. do not judge her colors or anyone elses by their names.

We used a MS shade in the other house (this house was already beautifully painted when we bought it -- never lived in, but painted) called Whetstone Grey -- it wasn't grey at all -- I cannot even describe what color it was except that it would change subtlely as the light in the room changed. Everyone who came in the house asked what color it was. Same thing with Sherwin Williams Nuance -- one of the most fabulous colors out there.

Buy samples, put them on all the walls in a room and live with them and watch the light as it moves through a room during the day.

I am so excited for you --:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Oh, and I'd want a written guarantee for that snake thing.:glare:

Not all paint chips are the same color light to dark, but most are.

If you want a light yellow, look for something more like cream with a little yellow in it. The lightest yellows will look much more intensely yellow on the walls than on the paint chip. Most of the time what looks more like a cream with a yellow tint will look more like a light yellow on the wall. "Light" yellow can be tough to get right, surprisingly.

I like grayed-down colors. Stuff that is a little more complex. I'm not talking actual gray, but greens, blues, etc. with some muddiness to them. Just a little. Very "clear" (unmuddy colors) can sometimes look a little too bright/neon/even a little juvenile in certain shades.

Two great blogs on color and paint:

http://blog.bossycolor.com/category/best-of-bossys-colors

Check her "best of" colors out and see if you like any of them.

This one has some good tips too. A little preachy but some good info on paint.

http://www.mariakillam.com/category/understanding-undertones

Don't forget to check pinterest and gardenweb (they have separate threads with tons of different green colors of paint, other threads where people show their IRL yellows, creams, etc.)

if you aren't sure on the color choice, paint a sample board and see how it looks at different times of day. THings often look very different on the chip vs. at home, and lighting makes a huge, huge difference. Your cabinet and floor colors, etc. all change how your eye sees the color on the wall.

Edited by Momof3littles

I think you can get small sample cans of paint to use on a sample board and test out what the color will look like.

One thing that I have to know: How exactly do you snake-proof a yard?

Apparently it's some sort of extremely fine metal fencing, sunk way into the ground, and then up a ways. I haven't seen it myself, so just going on what I was told.

Apparently it's some sort of extremely fine metal fencing, sunk way into the ground, and then up a ways. I haven't seen it myself, so just going on what I was told.

I do not wish to offend any snake lovers here, but I am going to assume that electricity is involved in some way with this snake-proofing thing?:toetap05:

Yellow and Blue paint get WAY more intense on the wall. Don't ask me how I know this! I agree with going several shades lighter. And most stores have samples of paint colors, they are well worth the money to get the right color and not have to repaint. Also, the shades that look "muddy" or grayed down end up being the best.

Yellow and Blue paint get WAY more intense on the wall. Don't ask me how I know this! I agree with going several shades lighter. And most stores have samples of paint colors, they are well worth the money to get the right color and not have to repaint. Also, the shades that look "muddy" or grayed down end up being the best.

I agree with getting samples. When we chose the base color for our house, I must have gone through about 20 colors. The people at Porter Paint knew me well by the time I finally picked "Cashmere". They were very nice and carried the boxes of samples to my car day after day. I did find the perfect color and it looks amazing. They also gave me an entire fandex of paint color cards so I could pick using the lighting in my rooms.

Typically, no there isn't rattlesnakes. Just in this particular area. In fact, I think it may be the *only* place in Canada that has them :glare:

this is the 'Badlands'

In grade 8 we took a field trip to the dino museum and went "playing" in the badlands. Some friends and I went climbing up this hill, We are looking around admiring the view when we suddenly heard the rattles underground. The hill was covered with holes to rattlesnake homes. I don't think I have ever run that fast in all my life. We ran down the hill and all the way back to the museum.

The badlands are uber cool but I hate the rattlers. I will stick with the garter snakes etc we used to catch in BC

this is the 'Badlands'

The southern Okanagan Valley in B.C. is the northern tip of the Sonoran Desert, and also... er, boasts(?) rattlesnakes. They aren't my fondest memory of living there, lol. :D

Edited by KathyBC
Changing wonky conversational punctuation to other, wonky conversational punctuation.

I guess in my head, light=bright.

I know Wolf doesn't want 'girly' colours in our room, and I don't want overly masculine, so trying to figure out a compromise.

I love blues, greens, wines, etc. Doesn't mean I want them on my walls though :lol: Loathe orange, brown, anything neon.

Strong contrasts aren't good, b/c for some reason or another, it eggs on migraines in me. For example, the diner style black and white, or red and white tile I've seen in some kitchens would have me sicker than a dog.

I've always wanted a yellow kitchen *blush* Like, almost white yellow. Something airy, bright, but not eye watering startling bright...I can't stand dark colours in a kitchen. I know it's popular, but it makes me feel claustrophobic, and I spend way too much time in the kitchen. I want something that is energizing for the kitchen. It tends to be where we hs, plus the usual living.

We painted our bedroom a kind of light blue, more on the steel-gray side of blue. It's very nice and peaceful.

Our living room/dining/kitchen (all one big 'L-shaped' space) are a light green - the color reminds me of the spring leaves first coming out, but not quite as yellow/bright.

Our old house had a yellow kitchen and I loved it! In general, the more actual wall space I have, the less "bright" I want the color. So a more buttery yellow would be great if there's lots of actual painted space. But if the room has lots of cabinets, windows, doors, etc. a brighter shade might be nice. Also might depend on the cabinet color. Some wood shades look terrible with yellow. In our old house, we painted the cabinets white.

Congratulations!