Menu

Want to see my schooling area(s)?

About 10 years ago, we closed in our big back porch to create a storage room, a school room for the kids & me, a foyer, a bathroom, and an office for dh. Dh worked out of his home office until his business grew enough that he needed to rent a larger office space in town, so I took over the office space at home and converted it into a den and additional classroom space. :) (I need the space because this year I am teaching 4 teenage girls, only one of which is my own child.) We also have a desk and computer in one corner of the living room. Homeschooling is taking over the whole house!

The first picture (013.jpg) is from the doorway of our original (10 x 12) school room, looking into the room from the foyer (10 x 7). Behind the door is a set narrow shelves just the right size for paperback books.The double doors are the doors to a storage closet where we keep art supplies, science supplies, extra books, and lots more. The basket in front of the closet doors is where our kitty sleeps every night. :)

The second picture (014.jpg) is the same room from another angle. The window is my kitchen window. (Remember this used to be a porch.) Dh built all the bookcases!

The third picture (016.jpg) is the (10 x 18) room that I converted into a den and 2nd school room, looking towards the foyer. On the right is a big filing cabinet that doubles as a worktable (there's paper cutter, hole puncher, comb binder, and postal scale on top). Dh built the suspended bookshelves (attached to the wall) all around the room. Most of the books you see on those shelves are his books. (He's a minister, and still works in this room sometimes, so most of the books are theology and Bible study books and the like, although some are homeschool books.) Dh also built the tall bookcase you can see in the foyer where we store many of our games and puzzles. The door you see to the right of the shelves of games is the bathroom door; to the left is the door to the original school room.

The fourth picture (017.jpg) is a view of the den/2nd school room area from the foyer. On the right is a table where students work, and on the left is a storage cabinet and an old secondhand bookcase with sagging shelves. (Dh didn't build that one. ;)) At the far end is a couch, beanbag chairs, a mini refrigerator (with my copier/fax/printer on top!), and a television; ER & EK keep their video games and game systems in the totes and baskets under the a/c. The three blue totes stacked in the corner contain sewing and knitting stuff--yarn, fabric, thread, notions, etc. The sofa is a sleeper sofa, so this area doubles as a guest room. :)

The fifth picture (018.jpg) is the desk area in the living room, next to the fireplace. The window you see looks out into the foyer I mentioned earlier; it's actually a sliding door; it used to be our back door before we enclosed the back porch and made office and school room space out of it. On the other side of the sliding door is my sewing table, in the corner of the foyer opposite the bathroom door.

I hope you enjoyed the tour!

post-572-13535087374372_thumb.jpg

post-572-13535087374702_thumb.jpg

post-572-13535087375408_thumb.jpg

post-572-13535087375752_thumb.jpg

Edited by ereks mom

By the way, how did you end up teaching 3 girls who are not your own?

My youngest is a high school senior this year, and I had decided a few years ago that that I love homeschooling so much that I want to continue even after she graduates next May! A couple of years ago, a dear friend approached me about teaching her then 11yo dd who has some reading/comprehension/critical thinking issues. She also has some social difficulties. I didn't want to do it at first, but I prayed about it and felt led to do it. So I taught her in 6th & 7th grades along with EK (10th & 11th). Of course, they did different work for the most part, but there were some things they did together. Let me tell you, it's not easy teaching an above average 10th/11th grader alongside a below-average 6th/7th grader, but I did it, and both girls has very good test scores this year (SAT & ACT for EK, ITBS for the younger girl).

About the time we finished up the school year, another friend contacted me about teaching her dd also. The family had some turmoil this past year (parents divorced, among other things), and the girl had fallen behind in school. She's a year younger than EK, but I will have them working on the same courses except for math this year.

I was a bit concerned that my younger student would feel left out, with so I began to pray about a partner for her as well. And a couple of weeks ago, another friend approached me about teaching her dd as well. This girl would be the same grade level (8th) as my younger student. She has some learning issues as well, and also some family and social issues.

My homeschooling efforts are turning into not only teaching academics, but also ministering to the girls and their families. I find the academic challenges much easier to address than the social/emotional issues, but I believe God is using me to touch these girls' lives.

Now you have me wanting to turn our 2 season sunroom into a 4 season room. It only has storm windows, a screen door and no heat source and faces south so it is blazing hot in summer, frigid in winter, but with real windows, a real door, and a space heater, it could probably work for the whole year. 14 windows. Not a cheap renovation but it would make my home so much better.

Maybe next year.

Thank you for sharing and I love the space transformation. I've wondering about enclosing our porch as well, especially since it's already off my craft room (which will also be a school room). :) And neat to hear your story of adding additional students into your life.

But your photos made it clear to me - homeschoolers needs lots and lots of bookshelves. :)

Awesome! I never thought of building the bookcases up higher - I was showing it to my dh and middle ds as I thought it could be a great space-saving idea for me in my storage room off the classroom. My middle ds laughed at me and said, "Mom, you'd never be able to reach the books!" But I think it's a great idea for storing older cores, etc. that I won't need all the time!

Awesome! I never thought of building the bookcases up higher - I was showing it to my dh and middle ds as I thought it could be a great space-saving idea for me in my storage room off the classroom. My middle ds laughed at me and said, "Mom, you'd never be able to reach the books!" But I think it's a great idea for storing older cores, etc. that I won't need all the time!

:lol: I'm 5'5½", so I don't have a lot of trouble reaching the top shelves, but it does help that the ceilings are low in that part of the house. :)

Thanks, everybody! It's not especially stylish, and I'm not much of a decorator, but the space is very functional.

Some people commented that they are envious, but I don't want anyone to think I'm boasting. Please understand that it has taken YEARS for us to get to where we are with our schooling area! I am excited to finally have it organized enough to share pictures with you. ;)

As for all those books, dh & I began our home library when we started college in the late 70s :ohmy: and we've added to it over the years by shopping at thrift stores and used book sales and accepting hand-me-downs from friends and family. And of course, I've bought lots of homeschool curriculum (mostly used). Most of the furniture is second-hand too, except the bookshelves/bookcases that dh built (which are very sturdy, but not ornate).

I am very blessed to be able to homeschool my children and to be entrusted to teach the children of some of my friends. I am excited to be able to use this great space when we begin our new school year tomorrow. I wish all of you a blessed school year too!

Edited by ereks mom